Classic Buttery Scones!

Classic Buttery Scones that are delicious for Afternoon Tea, a Delicious Treat, or something simple.

Scones are always my favourite treat in the summer, and when I go out for afternoon tea and cream tea. SO delicious and tasty. And I don’t know who I am trying to kid, I love them all year round and at any time I bake them. The wonderful thing about such a thing as this is that you can create so many different flavours – whether they are savoury or sweet! Therefore I decided to start off with a basic and buttery simple sweet scone so you can try to adapt it yourself, or you know you can follow this recipe to have a full proof scone!

My White Chocolate & Cranberry Scones has always been a popular one, but in my honest opinion? You can’t beat a scone that’s fresh out of the oven with some Rodda’s Clotted Cream and Strawberry Jam. It is DELICIOUS and its my favourite.

As I schooled in Devon, but I Holiday in Cornwall, I try to settle all battles by halving my scones and one half being cream then jam, and the other being jam then cream.. honestly, you will never be able to stop the battle – but either way they are DELICIOUS!

This recipe makes eight 5cm scones!

– 90g Unsalted Cold Butter, cut into small cubes
– 1 tsp Baking Powder
– 1/4 tsp Salt
– 350g Self Raising Flour, sifted, plus extra for dusting
– 50g Caster Sugar
– 1 tsp Lemon Juice
– 180ml Whole Milk
– 1 tsp Vanilla Bean Extract
– 1 Egg, beaten – to glaze

1) Heat the oven to 220C/200C Fan/430F and place a lined baking tray in the oven to preheat.

2) Tip the flour, salt, baking powder and butter into a food processor and pulse until it resembles bread crumbs – Pour the mixture into a bowl and stir in the sugar. Alternatively, rub the butter into the flour mixture till breadcrumbs are formed. Add the lemon juice to the dry mixture!

3) Heat the Milk in the microwave or on the hob so its warm but not hot – microwave will take about 30 seconds – you don’t want it too hot! Add the vanilla to the milk and mix.

4) Make a well in the dry mixture and add the liquid – stir with a spatula as it will be very wet at first – but it’ll soon dry out as the liquid is incorporated. Dust the work surface with some flour and tip the dough onto it – fold the dough over a few times so it is smooth but do not over work it!

5) Roll the dough out till it is about 4cm thick. Dip a 5cm round cutter into the spare flour and cut out the scones – you will probably get four out of the first go! Repeat this again till you finish up all the dough!

6) Take the tray out of the oven carefully and place the scones onto it – brush the tops with the beaten egg so its glazed and bake in the oven for 10 minutes – leave to cool slightly when baked.

7) Serve with clotted cream and jam for the stereotypical deliciously yummy scone!

You could easily make this mix and use a smaller cutter so that the scones are more delicate which I often do – I then usually get 12 out of the mix then!

I often find these are delicious when still warm as it makes them lighter and fluffier – however they do last in an airtight container for 2-3 days!

This recipe is based on the BBC Good Food recipe with a few changes to what I prefer!

P.s. Jam then Cream? Or cream then Jam? Oh the eternal debate…

Find my other Afternoon Tea Recipes on my Recipes Page!

© Jane’s Patisserie 2016

Previous Post Next Post

You Might Also Like

• Reply Mell July 21, 2016 at 1:50 pm

Jane,
    This recipe is amazing! I’ve made them 4 times and this is definitely going into my recipe box. Thank you!

Love all the way from Malaysia.

• Reply Four Food Blogs to Follow Now | findshoppingbuys.com August 20, 2015 at 8:29 pm

[…] If you’re in the mood for dessert, visit Jane’s Pastisserie. Jane, a chef on the South Coast of the United Kingdom, loves to experiment in the kitchen and hopes to own her own bakery/tea room. Jane’s baked goodies look so yummy you could lose yourself for hours drooling over her recipe list. For starters, check out the Salted Caramel Chocolate Tart, the Easter Nest Cupcakes, and the Classic Buttery Scones. […]

• Reply Louise August 15, 2015 at 7:48 pm

They sound so yummy. Love scones. I noticed you said take the tray out of the oven and place the scones on it. I haven’t tried preheating the tray before. Do you put the tray in the oven at the beginning of the oven preheat? I can’t wait to try this method!

• Reply Jane's Patisserie August 15, 2015 at 8:03 pm

Thank you! Me too! Yes I do – I got the tip from other recipes and such and apparently it helps 🙂

• Reply Jane's Patisserie August 15, 2015 at 8:05 pm

I have also corrected the recipe so that it says to put the tray in the oven when heating up! 🙂

• Reply Four Food Blogs to Follow Now | unhappyhipstersblog July 18, 2015 at 6:00 pm

• Reply Impulse || Home July 16, 2015 at 3:51 am

• Reply Four Food Blogs to Follow Now | Clio Wired July 15, 2015 at 5:07 pm

• Reply Keren June 13, 2015 at 8:45 pm

Can I ask, from the recipe & instrucions; step 11, do you place scones on a hot tin? Can’t wait to try this recipe, found you through Britt but must make the Rolo cheesecake first ?

• Reply Jane's Patisserie June 13, 2015 at 9:38 pm

Yes I preheat the tray in the oven whilst making the dough, then take it out, put the cut scones on and place back in the oven to bake 🙂 and yessss Rolo cheesecake!!
      And Britt? Is this someone you know? 🙂

• Reply Ayfer Demir June 10, 2015 at 5:24 pm

I was looking for the scone recipe for a long time. Yours is looking amazing and I am sure they are also so delicious. I have a question. What can I substitute self rising flour with?
    Many thanks

• Reply Jane's Patisserie June 10, 2015 at 6:45 pm

Thank you! You can substitute self raising for Plain flour (same weight) with 2tsps of baking powder and you’ll get the same affect 🙂

• Reply classic buttery scones. | country bumpkin. May 11, 2015 at 3:01 am

[…] TO, HAAAVE TO try these. once again, this recipe is courtesy of jane from jane’s patisserie [http://janespatisserie.com/2015/02/17/classic-buttery-scones/]. i have yet to come across one recipe on her blog that doesn’t turn out perfectly. she […]

• Reply Jo Blogs April 26, 2015 at 5:29 pm

I really, really love your photography Jane! You’re so good at it 🙂

• Reply Jane's Patisserie April 26, 2015 at 5:35 pm

Thank you so much again, Jo <3 I still take such bad photographs but I am trying to teach myself slowly!!

• Reply Jo Blogs April 26, 2015 at 5:58 pm

It’s bloody hard work for me too lol!

• Reply What Blogs Do I Follow? – An Historian About Town March 30, 2015 at 2:01 pm

[…] trying some before I go to Ireland (though realistically it might end up being after). Highlights: Classic Buttery Scones; these absolutely delicious looking S’mores […]

• Reply thesnowwoman March 16, 2015 at 4:55 pm

Scones are my favorite food! I am going to try this recipe soon.

• Reply Kouzounas Kitchen February 24, 2015 at 4:31 am

Sounds amazing!

• Reply MealsWithMel February 18, 2015 at 10:21 pm

These scones look wonderful!!

• Reply creativityandfamily February 17, 2015 at 7:38 pm

They look great, definitely jam then cream for me. Or even better strawberries and cream! X

• Reply Jane's Patisserie February 17, 2015 at 8:03 pm

Ooh fresh strawberries and cream is a winning option!! But thank you 🙂 x

• Reply cynthiamvoss February 17, 2015 at 3:42 pm

These look delicious! Great pics! I love scones but don’t have good luck making them myself. I’ll let you know when I try this recipe. I hope they turn out as good as yours.

• Reply Jane's Patisserie February 17, 2015 at 3:44 pm

Thank you so much! I used to hate baking scones because they always ended up more like biscuits but I’d definitely say this recipe is a good one too try 🙂 Its all in making sure that the consistency is right!

• Reply mercercountymrs February 17, 2015 at 2:46 pm

Looks delicious, I think this would be the perfect thing to bring to brunch at a friends house (with some jam) or something similar.

• Reply Jane's Patisserie February 17, 2015 at 2:48 pm

Thank you!! And I completely agree, I always bake some fresh scones if I am going round someones house for a late breakfast or late lunch, perfect treat!

• Reply Vicky Louise February 17, 2015 at 2:21 pm

Ooh what tasty looking scones!

My boyfriends Nan was a scone lover, particularly with a blob of fresh cream and jam. For her funeral/wake the food spread was thousands of scones! 🙂

I will definitely try and make your scones, though I never seem to get the right consistency with my mixtures!

• Reply Jane's Patisserie February 17, 2015 at 2:27 pm

Thank you so much! Scones are the perfect treat for any occasion and thank you! If you struggle even with this recipe then I would try and follow a tutorial online so you can compare the mix step by step?