Millionaires Shortbread!

Light & Buttery Shortbread topped with easy Homemade caramel, and Chocolate – decorated with Malteser’s, and Gold!

IMG_1459_1

I have had so many requests for this recipe since my Blog has started, and I have neglected to post it till now – I am sorry for the wait! I hope it doesn’t disappoint!

I have always been a fan of Shortbread and Millionaires Shortbread but I often find that in bakeries these days or even coffee shops, the pieces are so small and thin! I love my shortbread to be thick and butter, along with the caramel and chocolate on top of that! I am not meaning to sound greedy, but as my boyfriends Mum said to me the other day – “Now THAT is how Millionaires Shortbread should be! Nice and thick and just how my Mum makes them!

This recipe is surprisingly easy, even if it does get a bit hot! I would stick at it though if you love caramel, chocolate, or shortbread because its such a yummy combination!

I decorate mine with some Malteser’s as they give a nice crunch to the sweet snack, and look pretty funky too, and some Dr Oetker Golden Chocolate balls, & Dr Oetker Gold Spray for an extra bit on the ‘Millionaires’ theme 😉

This recipe makes 16 squares!

Shortbread
– 190g Butter, diced
– 85g Caster Sugar
– 250g Plain Flour

Caramel
– 185g Butter
– 85g Caster Sugar
– 3tbsp Golden Syrup
– 325g Condensed Milk

Topping
– 200g Milk/Dark Chocolate
– Malteser’s
– Dr Oetker Gold Spray
– Dr Oetker Gold Chocolate Balls

1) Preheat your oven to 180C/160C Fan, and line a 20cm Deep Square Tin with Parchment Paper.

2) Cream together the sugar and butter until smooth and mix in the flour until a dough is formed. It will be crumbly but the ingredients will be evenly dispersed! Firmly press the mixture into the bottom of tin and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until pale golden on top!

3) Once baked, remove from the oven and leave to the side. In a large saucepan pour the condensed milk, butter, sugar, and golden syrup and melt on a medium heat till the sugar has dissolved – stir frequently to stop anything from catching.

4) Once the sugar has dissolved, turn the heat up high and let the mixture come to boiling point and boil for 5-7 minutes stiring constantly so that the mixture doesnt catch. BE CAREFUL as the mixture is VERY hot and can burn you if it splashes back! The mixture will be ready when it has changed to a darker golden colour, and has thickened to a soft fudge texture!

5) Pour onto the shortbread base and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.

6) Once chilled, melt the chocolate and pour over the caramel – I stuck my Malteser’s & Gold Balls in at this point so that they moulded with the chocolate and stick, and then chill the Shortbread back in the fridge for another 1-2 hours until the Chocolate has gone hard!

7) Chop your Shortbread into the separate pieces and enjoy!

This will keep in an airtight container for 1 week – I store mine in the fridge as its getting so much hotter recently!

You can easily use Dark Chocolate on the top, or other chocolatey bits too decorate, but this is definitely my favourite combination!

P.s. Caramocolabread? No? Okay.

Find my other Tray Bake Recipes on my Recipes Page!

Previous Post Next Post

You Might Also Like

• Reply Jan August 15, 2016 at 12:54 pm

Perfect Fantastic recipe even on the first attempt!

• Reply plasterer bristol June 30, 2016 at 5:27 am

Oh wow, this is my faorite treat ever. and this recipe turned out just perfect for us. Thanks for sharing.

Simon

• Reply Jane's Patisserie June 30, 2016 at 9:44 am

Ohh I’m so glad you liked my recipe so much and enjoyed the treats! Thank you! ?

• Reply mumoffour June 23, 2016 at 11:46 am

Can your traybakes be frozen if making in advance for a family gathering?

• Reply Jane's Patisserie June 23, 2016 at 10:21 pm

Yes they can! ☺️ leave out overnight to defrost x

• Reply mumoffour June 24, 2016 at 6:07 am

• Reply Selene January 8, 2016 at 6:24 am

This looks fantastic! And I’ve been thinking about making shortbread since before Christmas but haven’t found a recipe that sounds as delicious as this… Being from the US, I do wonder what golden syrup is, but after reading through these comments, I’d take a guess that it is corn syrup… Can’t wait to try this out!!!

• Reply Jane's Patisserie January 8, 2016 at 10:00 am

Awwh thank you Selene! 🙂 Yes I believe corn syrup would be your best substitute but I have never personally tried it!

• Reply Millionaire Shortbread with Homemade Caramel | Fortnightly Recipe December 1, 2015 at 5:29 pm

[…] From Jane’s Patisserie’s recipe: ‘Millionaire Shortbread’ […]

• Reply Amy October 3, 2015 at 8:49 pm

Hi,I made this today and it’s lovely but a bit chewy! Should it be? How do I make the caramel a bit more goey and not so much like toffee?

• Reply Jane's Patisserie October 3, 2015 at 8:58 pm

How long did you boil it for? 🙂 Simply boil for about 1-2 minutes less time 🙂 x

• Reply stephysweetbakes June 16, 2015 at 5:51 am

Pinning ?

• Reply artybaker June 14, 2015 at 12:14 pm

These look so incredible! I’m inspired. I’ve never particularly liked Millionaire’s Shortbread before but now you’re making me crave it! Haha. I’ll bet they tasted delicious. 🙂

• Reply Jane's Patisserie June 14, 2015 at 12:32 pm

Thank you! I never used to be the biggest fan, but making it at home is so much better ? and it did hehe 🙂

• Reply Millionaires Shortbread! | homethoughtsfromabroad626 June 14, 2015 at 12:55 am

[…] Millionaires Shortbread!. […]

• Reply pamsyarns June 10, 2015 at 8:32 pm

Mmm. I love millionaire’s shortbread. It’s a family favourite. I like your idea of maltesers on the top and shall try it next time I make it!

• Reply Jane's Patisserie June 10, 2015 at 9:51 pm

It’s such an irresistible treat! And thank you, I hope you like it!!

• Reply cecileodesign June 9, 2015 at 11:55 am

I love millionaires’ shortbread and this recipe just looks amazing! Can’t wait to try it.

• Reply scarletscorchdroppers June 9, 2015 at 7:46 am

Mmmmm, this looks incredible!

• Reply Sophie Sjösten June 9, 2015 at 12:44 am

Have to try these! They look great. 🙂 I get so hungry every time I read your blog posts!

• Reply More Than A Dash Of Salt June 8, 2015 at 5:46 pm

I’ve been waiting for this. I’m thinking this for the party in a few weeks!

• Reply Jane's Patisserie June 8, 2015 at 5:50 pm

Awwh haha I hope it goes down well!!

• Reply More Than A Dash Of Salt June 9, 2015 at 9:55 am

Jane would you be able to put up the email function on your blog? That way I could email this recipe to myself to print and store in my recipe binder :). I’m sure other people would love that function as well!

• Reply mypinchofyum June 8, 2015 at 5:14 pm

I have nominated you for the “Sisterhood of the World” Bloggers Award. Please check it out. 🙂

• Reply theblushingbaker June 8, 2015 at 4:51 pm

Reblogged this on the blushing baker and commented:
    I am going to try these out in my kitchen!! Now you try them in yours!!! Amazing recipe and photos. ❤️

• Reply theblushingbaker June 8, 2015 at 4:50 pm

This looks amazing!!! I can’t wait to try it in my kitchen!!

• Reply Linda June 8, 2015 at 4:32 pm

OMG!! These look delicious!! I’ve pinned them! 🙂

• Reply shivangisachdeva June 8, 2015 at 4:16 pm

Looks amazing. What is golden,syrup basically? I don’t think I’ll get it anywhere in my locality.

• Reply Jane's Patisserie June 8, 2015 at 4:21 pm

Thank you! Its basically a Light Treacle Syrup if that helps? I’m not sure if you can make it – but its a thick sugary syrup found in the Uk everywhere – same thickness as Honey, so maybe you could try that? x

• Reply Natascha's Palace June 8, 2015 at 2:11 pm

???????

• Reply Marisa June 8, 2015 at 12:43 pm

Absolute perfection:)

• Reply aleciabakes June 8, 2015 at 10:57 am

hi jane. my chocolate cracked when i was cutting it. how did you get yours to cut so nicely?

• Reply Jane's Patisserie June 8, 2015 at 10:58 am

I just used a very large sharp knife 🙂 but you can heat the blade so it goes through more smoothly if it tends to crack? x