A Cupcake Twist on the Classic Bakewell Tart.. Cherry Bakewell Cupcakes with Almond Sponges, Jam Filling, Almond Cherry Bakewell Buttercream Frosting, and a Glacé Cherry of course!
I have been wanting to post an ‘alternative cupcake’ post for ages. I know I have what feels like a million cupcake recipes on my blog, (this being the 36th!) but I wanted to do another. After having a search through one of my ingredients cupboards I rediscovered my bag of Sugar & Crumbs Cherry Bakewell Icing Sugar and OH MY Bakewell Cupcakes had to happen! Of course, you don’t actually have to use this icing sugar, you can just use normal icing sugar and still follow the recipe in the same way, but the flavour of the sugar is so delicious I just HAD to use it!
I know that Bakewell Tart’s actually have pastry in them, but I wasn’t really sure that baking a cupcake pastry case and then baking the cupcake mixture itself in it would work, and I was kinda in a rush, so I just went with an almond flavoured sponge as the base of the recipe. I used Almond Extract as its easy to use, and cheaper than buying almonds some of the time so that sorted the Almond side of things out! However, as Bakewell’s have Jam in, I made a Jam Core in my baked cupcakes so that it was a little surprise for everyone when eating them!
Using the Sugar & Crumbs Cherry Bakewell Icing Sugar with a touch extra Almond Extract made such a yummy flavour that I just couldn’t resist. Smooth and silky Buttercream Frosting topped with a Glacé Cherry and some freeze dried raspberries made decoration heaven!
I used some adorable cupcake Baking Cups from Iced Jems (not sure if these particular ones are available now) but there are so many other colours and patterns and I seriously recommend them – you can bake them on a flat tray without having to use a muffin tray, and they’re greaseproof and don’t peel! But anyway, I hope you guys love this recipe as much as I, and my Trusty Taste Testers did! Enjoy!
This recipe makes 12 cupcakes!
– 175g Unsalted Butter, Softened
– 175g Caster Sugar
– 3 Large Free Range Eggs, beaten
– 175g Self Raising Flour
– 1tsp Almond Extract
– 150g Unsalted Butter, Softened
– 300g Sugar & Crumbs Cherry Bakewell Icing Sugar
– 1/2 tsp Almond Extract
– Glacé Cherries
– Cherry/Strawberry/Ras Jam
– Oodles of Sprinkles
1) Preheat your oven to 170C/160CFan and Line a 12 Hole Muffin Tray with Large Cupcake Cases/Muffin Cases
2) Cream together the Butter and Caster Sugar with an electric beater till smooth – add in the Beaten Eggs, Flour, and Almond Extract and beat again for about about 20-30 seconds on a Medium Speed – it really doesn’t take too long, you don’t want to overheat it!.
3) Once combined, spoon into your Cases and Bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes or until cooked through! Remove the cupcakes from the tin and leave to cool on a wire rack.
4) Once the cakes are cool, make the frosting – beat the softened Butter until smooth – this can take a couple of minutes. Add in the Icing Sugar 1/2 at a time, making sure the sugar is fully incorporated until moving on! I use my KitchenAid for Frostings as the machine can make it so much lighter and fluffier!
5) Once all of the Sugar is in the Frosting mix, add in the almond extract and keep on beating until you reach your desired consistency! If the mixture is really thick and not pipeable, add in a tablespoon or two of Whole Milk or Boiling Water to loosen!
6) To decorate your cupcakes, cut out the middle of the cupcake (like you would for a butterfly cake) and put in a teaspoon of your chosen Jam in the middle! Pipe on your frosting, I use a large star tip, and swirl it all up.
7) Sprinkle on some sprinkles, I used some mini pearls and some freeze dried raspberries, and then add your Glacé Cherry to the top! – and ENJOY!
Tips and Ideas
Buy these super cute Baking Cups from Iced Jems HERE!
You can use whatever Jam flavour as you like, as its down to personal taste! However, I tend to use Cherry or Raspberry, as they’re my favourites to use in a bakewell tart!
You can sprinkle on some flaked almonds if you wish as well! Or even drizzle on some water icing instead of buttercream to make it slightly more Bakewell Tart like.
You can find Almond Extract in a majority of supermarkets these days, along with Glacé Cherries. The Sugar & Crumbs Cherry Bakewell Icing Sugar can be bought HERE!
These Cupcakes will last in an airtight container for 2-3 days!
Find my other Cupcake Recipes on my Recipes Page!
© Jane’s Patisserie. All images & content are copyright protected. Do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.