*This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure for more details!*
A simple, delicious bakewell cake with fresh berries and almonds!
Berry bakewell cake
A couple of weeks ago I posted the recipe I use for my bakewell tart – I adore bakewell tart and its the perfect dessert for a summery evening but I had a thought, sometimes using pastry, or even just making the pastry is effort and I can’t be dealing with that when I am in a rush. Therefore, the berry bakewell cake was born!
This cake is a marriage of a classic sponge, with almonds and fresh berries. It really is that simple! It’s the rare cake that I decided to leave alone, and not decorate with some sort of frosting, because the simplicity of this one really wins!
The sponge mix has a standard mix of butter, sugar, flour and eggs, with some ground almonds, vanilla and milk added in. You’d think it might mess with the baking of the sponge, and it just doesn’t! It gives it a wonderfully delicious texture.
I used the milk in the sponge because it’s just the bit of ‘wetness’ that the mix needs. Once you have added in the ground almonds, the mix becomes veryyyy thick, and the milk just helps it! I really would recommend whole milk as mentioned in the ingredients, because less fatty milk can make the mix split!
For this cake, you can use whatever berry you like really. I went for raspberries and blueberries because they were what I had in the fridge. Raspberry is classic with bakewell, but I have made this cake with all blackberries, all blueberries, all raspberries, etc etc!
It really is entirely your choice! Personally, my favourite mix is the raspberry and blackberry as I have said, but I have made this many times and also mess around with other fruit! I also do use fresh fruit, but you could try frozen.. it may just take longer to bake because of the extra moisture!
The wonderful part of this recipe is that it is very simple to make – bung all the ingredients for the cake in a bowl and mix until its ready – it takes less than a minute! Spread half the mixture into the tin, plop the fruit on, spread the rest of the mixture and then sprinkle with almonds!
The final touch to this cake is a little sprinkle of icing sugar, but that’s obviously optional! It just makes it look very pretty! You can serve this cake with anything you fancy… extra fruit, custard, cream or whatever! As long as you love it!
Berry Bakewell Cake!
- 150 g unsalted butter
- 150 g golden caster sugar
- 150 g ground almonds
- 150 g self raising flour
- 3 medium eggs
- 2 tbsp whole milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 250 g berries (125g blueberries/raspberries)
- 25-50 g flaked almonds
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/350F and grease and line a 8″/20cm cake tin!
- Add your butter, sugar, flour, ground almonds, eggs, milk and vanilla to a mixer, and beat until smooth!
- Spread half of the mixture on the bottom of the tin – spread the berries on top of the first half of the mixture, then spread the rest of the cake mixture on top
- Sprinkle the cake with the flaked almonds and bake in the oven for 50 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean
- Leave to cool on a wire rack and sprinkle with the icing sugar – serve!
- This cake will last for 3-4 days at room temperature!
- This cake can be served with whatever you fancy... cream, ice cream, custard etc!
- You can use whatever berries you like, just stick to 250g maximum!
- This recipe is based on one by BBC Good Food found here that I have altered and adapted slightly!
Find my other Recipes on my Recipes Page!
© Jane’s Patisserie. All images & content are copyright protected. Do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.