Chocolatey Cupcake dotted with Hazelnuts, topped with a Creamy & Delicious Nutella Frosting!
HAPPY NATIONAL CUPCAKE WEEK! I am only relatively new to baking so often (hence the blog!) but Cupcakes have always been a firm favourite of mine. Some of you may also know that last week I ventured to Italy with my Family and Italy = Nutella in my mind. I had it EVERY day, at breakfast, in Gelato, and for pudding.. I am Nutella obsessed, which you can probably tell by looking at my Ferrero Rocher & Nutella No-Bake Cheesecake and my Ferrero Rocher & Nutella Chocolate Tart recipes!
National Cupcake Week seems like an amazing idea, so I thought I would celebrate with another recipe thats cupcake related! I realise I have a lot already.. I am sorry. 😉
These cupcakes are moist, chocolatey, and nutty – perfection in my mind. I decided to top my cupcakes with Nutella Frosting as it would be silly not too, but if you’re feeling daring – then put some in the middle of your cupcakes too!
These are definitely for Nutella Fans, and Chocolate Fans, and even Cupcake Fans – they’re an all round winner in my house and with my taste testers so I hope you all like them too!
This recipe makes 12 Cupcakes!
– 150g Unsalted Butter, Softened
– 125g Golden Caster Sugar
– 75g Finely Chopped Skinned Hazelnuts
– 3 Medium Free Range Eggs, beaten
– 100g Self Raising Flour
– 25g Cocoa Powder
– 1/4tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
– 1/2tsp Vanilla Extract
– 2tbsp Whole Milk
– 150g Unsalted Butter, Softened
– 175g Nutella
– 300g Icing Sugar
– 2-4tbsp Whole Milk/Double Cream
– Melted Chocolate
– Chopped Hazelnuts
1) Preheat your oven to 170C/160CFan and Line a 12 Hole Muffin Tray with Large Cupcake Cases/Muffin Cases
2) Cream together the Butter and Golden Caster Sugar with an electric beater till smooth – add in the Hazelnuts, Beaten Eggs, Flour, Cocoa Powder, Salt, Bicarbonate, and Vanilla and beat again for about 1 minute on a Medium Speed.
3) Once combined it might still be a little stiff, so loosen with the Whole Milk – using Whole Milk is important as lower fat milks might make the mixture split slightly! 🙂
4) Spoon into your Cases and Bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes or until cooked through! Leave to cool on a wire rack.
5) Once the cakes are cool, make the frosting – cream together the softened Butter and Nutella until smooth. Add in the Icing Sugar 1/3 at a time, making sure the sugar is fully incorporated until moving on! I use my KitchenAid for Frostings as the machine can make it so much lighter and fluffier!
6) Once all of the Sugar is in the Frosting mix, keep on beating the Frosting but add the Milk/Cream 1 tbsp at a time till you reach your desired consistency! I usually use about 3 spoonfuls!
7) Decorate your cupcakes how you like – and ENJOY!
Tips and Ideas
These Cupcakes are delicious how they are – but you can miss out on the nuts in the sponge if you just want chocolate – or switch them out for a different nut! Just don’t go over 75g as I find that makes them dry!
You can make your Frosting more Chocolatey if you like by adding 25g Cocoa Powder and only 275g Icing Sugar!
These Cupcakes will last in an airtight container for 2-3 days!
Recipe inspiration from Cupcake Jemma!
Find my other Cupcake Recipes on my Recipes Page!
© Jane’s Patisserie. All images & content are copyright protected. Do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.