*This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure for more details!*
Delicious and flakey pesto cheese straws – the ultimate picnic staple or a tasty snack for the whole family!
When I think of cheese straws, I think of a melt in your mouth savoury delight of flakey pastry and cheesey goodness! YES PLEASE!
I, of course, had to make my own as I love all things cheese so it would be weird if I didn’t! I love how simple these are to make, kids can get involved and how you can eat them at any time of day and it be ok!
These are one of the simplest yet most scrumptious snacks you can bake (or buy in a shop, but they’re so much better homemade) and they are so easy to do!
Shop brought and homemade ingredients
You can buy all the ingredients ready made, or you can be adventurous and start from scratch completely.
You can use shop brought pastry and shop brought pesto if you will find it easier – the great thing about this recipe is you can make it your way!
Pesto is a wonderful thing and it is SO easy to make your own! I love making my own as I go through so much of it at home. Using simple ingredients like oil, pine nuts and basil, you get a delicious pesto that you can use as a sauce or a drizzle.
I add pesto as a base spread to the pastry with my cheese straws as I love the combination of pesto and cheese together. Its great on pizza and pasta, and now it is tasty within these cheese straws!
I use both cheddar and parmesan within these cheese straws. Cheddar is my favourite – I love a strong cheddar as I really want to taste the cheese throughout.
I add an equal amount of parmesan to the cheese straws to give it a slight cheesy sharpness. And also because pesto and parmesan together is just HEAVEN!!
I hope you love this recipe as much as I enjoy eating the finished product! x
- 2 tbsp pesto (more if wanted!)
- 100 g parmesan (grated)
- 100 g mature cheddar cheese (grated)
- 350 g puff pastry
- Heat the oven to 220ºC/200ºC fan and line baking trays with parchment paper.
- If using ready made puff pastry, simply roll out to the thickness of a £1 coin.
- Spread your pesto evenly on to the pastry, this will make it easier to stick all the cheese down too!
- Spread both the grated parmesan and cheddar over your pesto layer.
- You can either cut them into 1cm strips now, or you can fold the pastry over so its half the size, then roll it back out to its original £1 thickness, to then cut into 1cm strips. (This will keep more of the pesto & cheese on the inside - but either way is delicious!)
- Once the pastry has been cut into strips, simply twist all pieces a few times (the more the merrier)!
- Scatter over more cheese and bake for 12 minutes (or until nice and golden).
- Leave to cool before serving, and enjoy!
- Pesto is so easy to make at home, and it makes it so much nicer when you know exactly whats in it!
- You can use simple ingredients such as just pine nuts, basil, and oil - or you can jazz it up a bit and add some parmesan to the pesto! Pesto is one of the easiest things to change up and about as it's so versatile. I often use this Jamie Oliver recipe.
- You can of course make your own puff pastry - I often use Gordon Ramsay's method found on BBC Good Food.
- I use these basic baking trays
- I use this baking parchment
Find my other Recipes on my Recipes Page!
© Jane’s Patisserie. All images & content are copyright protected. Do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.