Light, Gooey, Triple Chocolate Muffins that Everyone Will Love!

Absolute and utter heaven for me is a good triple chocolate muffin. You can buy them in every supermarket, coffee shop and bakery – yet they are so easy to bake at home! Another favourite of mine is lemon & blueberry but that is for another day. These muffins are beautiful when fresh out of the oven and still warm, or even when they have cooled down and are the day after baking. They are truly irresistible!

I have tried and tested many a triple chocolate muffin recipe, but honestly I believe this one is the best I have found and created – the sponge is so light and fluffy yet chocolatey from all of the chocolate chips. You don’t feel weighed down after eating one as they are that light! However, this does often lead to eating more than you potentially should… but who cares really. Muffins are good for the soul. They’re good for the mind.

The recipe does seem to have a lot of ingredients in it, but to be honest its not thaaaaat many… but it is worth it. The Sour Cream makes it really, along with the bicarbonate of soda. They react together in such a way that its a dreamy muffin. I’m not 100% on the science behind it, but it just works so well.

You could easily just use one type of sugar in comparison to two, but I just love the combination. Using all light brown sugar would make the muffins slightly more caramel flavoured, and just caster sugar would make them lighter. It’s one of those types of recipes where you can really use whatever sugar you want, but I would still recommend using the entire amount. I know some people like to try and reduce the sugar in recipes, which you can feel free to do… but sometimes I think it can affect the bake a little too much.

For the base of the brownie, its very important like my brownie recipes, to use Dark Chocolate, and not milk. You CAN’T TASTE THAT ITS DARK CHOCOLATE, and I don’t know how many times I have to write it. A lot of people ask if they can change it, but if you don’t use dark chocolate for the base, you will use the fudgieness that makes the muffins, or brownies, what they are. With all the other ingredients that are put into the muffins, it will lighten it anyway so there is nothing to worry about.

I then add in white chocolate chips, and milk chocolate chips, and it creates the wonderful Triple Chocolate heaven. You could easily use chunks of chocolate in comparison to chips, and it will make larger pockets of chocolate which when gooey is heeeeaven… but thats up to you! You could also easily use a flavoured chocolate of sorts, or even peanut butter chips! The possibilities are endless. ENJOY!

Triple Chocolate Muffins!

Light, Gooey, Triple Chocolate Muffins that Everyone Will Love!
Category: Dessert

• 75 g Caster Sugar
  • 75 g Light Brown Sugar
  • 1 Medium Egg
  • 100 ml Soured Cream
  • 150 g White Chocolate Chips
  • 150 g Milk Chocolate Chips

• Preheat your oven to 180C/160C Fan, and line a muffin tray or two with cases.
  • Melt the Dark Chocolate with the Butter ever a pan of summering water, or in the microwave on short bursts. Leave to the side to cool whilst you do the rest.
  • Mix the Caster Sugar, the Light Brown Sugar, the Flour, Bicarbonate of Soda and Baking Powder into a large bowl, and whisk till evenly distributed.
  • In a separate bowl, mix the Soured Cream with the Egg. It might look a little funky, but roll with it.
  • Pour the Egg Mixture, and the Chocolate mixture into the dry ingredients, and combine in as few stirs as possible. Add the chocolate chips in, and fold again.
  • Spoon the mixture into the cases evenly, and bake in the oven for 20 minutes or so.
  • Once baked, leave to cool slightly and then gobble up.

ENJOY! P.s. These are INCREDIBLY addictive. You have been warned.

Find my other Recipes on my Recipes Page!

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

1. Amy on October 31, 2021 at 12:14 pm

I made these but the version from the book!they tasted fabbb! How can I adapt them to make them regular chocolate chip muffins? Thanks!

2. Terri on July 10, 2021 at 4:52 pm

Hello 😃 can I add baking powder for then to rise like the domed muffins?

3. Karen on May 21, 2021 at 11:56 am

Jane can you use buttermilk instead of sour cream

4. Jenna Aslan on April 10, 2021 at 7:22 pm

I made these, the middle has disappeared whilst cooling uh oh. What did I do (hiding my face) xx

• Jane's Patisserie on April 13, 2021 at 12:56 pm

Hey! They just sound a little under baked that’s all xx

5. Christine on February 14, 2021 at 9:06 am

Mine too came a little bit dry like a cookie dough then sank after cooling down ☹️ What may I have done wrong?

• Jane's Patisserie on February 14, 2021 at 11:08 am

Sinking usually means it’s under baked but its hard to say for certain! But also, it could be over mixing the batter causing a problem x

6. Mandie Aviston on February 8, 2021 at 10:08 am

Hi,

Can you freeze these at all?

7. Mrs Janine Taylor on January 14, 2021 at 5:00 pm

These are scrummy delicious and so easy to make we all love them thank you for sharing with fab recipe.

8. Mrs Janine Taylor on January 14, 2021 at 5:00 pm

These are scrummy delicious and so easy to make we ll love them thank you for sharing with fab recipe.

9. Claire on December 8, 2020 at 1:09 pm

Amazing recipe, the kids ask me to make it every week it’s their favourite

10. Emma on September 14, 2020 at 7:17 pm

Is there any chocolate chip muffin recipe ? Or is there any modification I can do to any of your other muffin recipes. I have made these ones and they are delicious!

• Jane's Patisserie on September 14, 2020 at 8:08 pm

You can try this one with more flour and less cocoa powder, or try my white chocolate & raspberry ones without the raspberry for now!

• Claire on February 19, 2021 at 1:48 pm

My mixture was very thick like a cookie dough, and once baked they were very firm like a brownie texture rather than light and fluffy muffins. Any ideas what I did wrong? I use your recipes all the time and everything always turns out perfect so can’t understand what’s at fault here. Do you think I’d be better mixing my hand as I used my kitchen aid and maybe that over mixed it? It was still a dough like mixture though. Many thanks.

• Jane's Patisserie on February 20, 2021 at 11:55 am

Ahh yes, sounds over mixed for sure – its a very easy mixture to make so likely is just that! x

11. caroline on August 27, 2020 at 8:26 am

Could this recipe be used to make a chocolate muffin traybake?

12. Gemma on June 21, 2020 at 5:12 pm

So yummy but they sank, any ideas? Texture seems good, flavour is good, mixing kept to a minimum, overfilled maybe?

• Jane's Patisserie on June 22, 2020 at 9:24 pm

Yes it could be over filled or they hadn’t finished baking!

13. Samantha on June 4, 2020 at 11:58 am

Can I use Greek yoghurt in place of soured cream? I love your recipes. Usually make the brownies but not tried the muffins yet.

• Jane's Patisserie on June 4, 2020 at 7:46 pm

I haven’t personally tried that, but there is no reason why not!! x

14. Alliyah on May 12, 2020 at 3:07 pm

Really yummy choc muffins, didn’t have any sour cream so used natural yoghurt and they turned out great! Everyone loved them and will definitely bake them again

15. Sarah on May 5, 2020 at 9:04 pm

Would natural yoghurt work instead of sour cream?

16. Nicole on November 23, 2019 at 6:40 am

Hey Jane, I really love your recipes! I was just wondering if you had any advice on how to get a chocolate filling in the middle like some of the coffee shop muffins around?😍 thank you in advance!x

17. Eloise on June 30, 2019 at 10:39 am

I’ve made them 3 times now, always perfect

18. Dani on June 29, 2019 at 3:04 pm

Hi Jane! I’ve tried a few of your recipes now and they always turn out great. But this one went a bit strange when I finished mixing it almost resembled a cookie dough, and when baked the muffins were all lumpy. Why do you think this is? P.s I used chocolate chunks instead of chips but that’s the only change I made

• Jane's Patisserie on June 29, 2019 at 4:30 pm

The only thing I can think is that you over mixed it – it really doesn’t take long to mix at all for me by hand, and is quite an airy mousse like mixture when I have finished mixing!

• Lucie on January 18, 2020 at 11:38 am

hey, I had this problem too! when I mixed (in only a few stirs, the mixture was very thick) Only thing I can think of as well Is the sour cream I used was quite thick and not very liquidy., still taste delicious tho xx

19. DulceMacaron on March 8, 2015 at 4:01 pm

Jane, thanks for this wonderful recipe. Will definitely try it soon ! One question, can I freeze these cupcakes? and for how long? thanks !

• Jane's Patisserie on March 8, 2015 at 4:12 pm

Yeah you can! And I believe I read somewhere 3 months? But I have never personally frozen them or cakes so I usually freeze for a month!

20. cynthiamvoss on January 14, 2015 at 3:33 am

You had me at “triple chocolate” 🙂 Just in time for Valentine’s day!

• janespatisserie on January 14, 2015 at 8:34 am

Ah always a winner 😉 they’re my partners favourites too so Im baking some for him for valentines too! Haha!

21. Darleen on January 13, 2015 at 9:52 pm

Yum! Thank you for the recipe

• janespatisserie on January 13, 2015 at 9:53 pm

It’s okay!! I’m glad you liked it!