*This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure for more details!*
Light & moist chocolate Oreo cupcakes filled with a whole Oreo, Oreo buttercream, and even another one on top!
Recipe updated May 2021
Oreos have got to be one of the best and most well known biscuits across the world, and I am fully in love with them. I can’t help it, I love a good Oreo or five when having a cup of tea.
For the cupcakes, these become slightly special because there is an Oreo at the bottom of the cupcake – how nice is that?! Yes the biscuit does go a smidge soft because its been baked but its yummy so crack on.
I used a bog standard chocolate cupcake mix because why would I not! I love chocolate and Oreo together because they are a dreamy combination! Absolute heaven.
Something about adding crushed Oreos to a simple American buttercream frosting is kind of life changing. It sounds like its going to be way too sweet to be edible, as it is just unsalted butter, icing sugar and Oreos.. but its insanely good!
Making sure the unsalted butter (not a baking spread) is at room temperature, I beat the butter for a few minutes on its own so that it becomes smooth and supple, and then I add the icing sugar in a half at a time.
I always use a blender to break up the biscuits (I keep the creme middle in the biscuit, I do not remove it) so that they are a really fine crumb, and then I beat them into the buttercream!
The biscuits does thicken the buttercream quite a bit so I always have to add in some boiling water or whole milk to loosen it, but that is no bad thing!! Always add any extra liquid a little at a time so as not to over do it!
When piping these cupcakes you have to make sure to use the correct piping tip – my normal 2d Closed star won’t work because of the bits of biscuit! I use a medium or large 1M piping tip instead and it works wonders!
The original recipe was 200g butter, 200g caster sugar, 4 eggs, 150g self raising flour, 50g cocoa powder and 1-3 tbsp of milk (with 15 Oreos, split into 15 cases). The decoration was 200g butter, 500g icing sugar, 6-8 crushed oreos and 2-4 tbsp of whole milk if you would like it!
I have been wanting to post this recipe for aaaages – and finally the chance to bake some arose so I took it, rather too willingly! I LOVE Oreo Cupcakes, and any Oreo lover would really – wants not too like about them?!
A whole Oreo at the bottom of each cupcake, with a moist and light chocolate cupcake sponge, topped with a creamy and delicious Oreo Buttercream – Hello Heaven!
These are super easy to bake and look utterly scrumptious – you will want to bake them again and again! Not going to lie, I did eat some of the leftover icing with a spoon…
- 150 g Unsalted Butter/Stork
- 150 g Light Brown Sugar
- 3 Medium Eggs
- 125 g Self Raising Flour
- 25 g Cocoa Powder
- 12 Oreos
- 150 g Unsalted Butter (room temp)
- 300 g Icing Sugar
- 6-8 Oreos (finely crushed)
- 1-3 tbsp Boiling Water (if needed)
- 12 Oreos
- Oreo crumbs
For the Cupcakes!
- Heat your oven to 180C/160 Fan/350F and line a cupcake/muffin tin with 12 cases or put 12 Baking Cups onto a flat tray!
- Add an Oreo to the bottom of each cupcake case!
- Beat the unsalted butter with the light brown soft sugar until fluffy.
- Add the eggs, self-raising flour and cocoa powder with the butter/sugar mix until well combined.
- Split the mixture between the cupcake cases evenly.
- Bake in the oven for 18-22 minutes until baked through. Leave to cool fully on a cooling rack!
For the Buttercream!
- Beat the unsalted butter for a couple of minutes to really loosen it.
- Gradually add the icing sugar on a slow speed until it is combined then speed the mixer up and beat for 3-4 minutes until fluffy and smooth.
- Make sure the Oreos are in a really fine crumb and add to the buttercream.
- Beat well until smooth - add in one tablespoon of boiling water at a time mixing well, until you reach your desired consistency.
For the Decoration!
- Using a 1M piping tip, or whatever piping tip you prefer (with no fine details because of the Oreo crumbs), pipe the buttercream onto the cupcakes!
- Sprinkle on some oreo crumbs, and add on a whole Oreo!
- I used the original Oreos, but any flavour ones work well!
- These cupcakes will last 3 days at room temperature!
- I used a 1M piping tip to decorate my cakes as they get the nice swirl!
- I use these beautiful baking cups in my baking as well.
Find my other Recipes on my Recipes Page!
© Jane’s Patisserie. All images & content are copyright protected. Do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.