Oreo Cupcakes!

Light & Moist Chocolate Cupcakes filled with a whole Oreo, Oreo Buttercream, and even another one on top!

IMG_1880_1

I have been wanting to post this recipe for aaaages – and finally the chance to bake some arose so I took it, rather too willingly! I LOVE Oreo Cupcakes, and any Oreo lover would really – wants not too like about them?! A whole Oreo at the bottom of each Cupcake, with a moist and light chocolate cupcake sponge, topped with a creamy and delicious Oreo Buttercream – Hello Heaven!

These are super easy to Bake and look utterly scrumptious – you will want to bake them again and again! I usually put more Buttercream onto my cupcakes then what is shown in the pictures, but as I was making these for a birthday, they didn’t want toooo much so I used 2/3 of the recipe I have written below 🙂 Not going to lie, I did eat some of the leftover icing with a spoon…

This recipe makes 15 cupcakes

Cupcakes
– 15 Whole Oreos
– 200g Butter/Margarine
– 200g Caster Sugar
– 4 Eggs
– 150g Self Raising Flour
– 50g Cocoa Powder
– 1-3tbsp Whole Milk – If needed!

Buttercream
– 200g Butter, room temperature
– 500g Icing Sugar
– 6-8 Crushed Oreos
– 2-4tbsp Whole Milk

Decoration
– Oreos, and anything else you fancy.

1) Preheat your oven to 180C/160C Fan – and Line 1-2 12 hole Muffin Trays with Cases! (I make 15 cupcakes out of this recipe) Put a whole Oreo at the bottom of each of the cupcake cases – leave to one side.

2) Beat together the butter & sugar until pale and light & fluffy, I do this for a couple of minutes using my KitchenAid with the Paddle attachment, it makes it so smooth and perfect!

3) Add the eggs, self raising flour, and cocoa powder, and mix until smooth – if the mixture is a bit stiff then add 1tbsp of milk till you reach the desired consistency.

4) Spoon the mixture into each of the cases on top of the whole Oreo – I use an ice cream scoop so that its equal between them all, and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until cooked through! Once baked, leave to cool on a wire rack.

5) To make the Buttercream, beat the Butter at room temperature with a mixer until smooth and supple – gradually beat in the Icing Sugar until it is all incorporated – add the finely crushed Oreo’s (I blitz mine in the food processor so I know there are no lumps) and continue to beat for 3-5 minutes until super light and fluffy – if its too stiff, add the milk slowly until its the desired consistency!

6) Using a Large Star/1M nozzle, pipe the buttercream onto the cupcakes and top with whatever you fancy! I made these cupcakes for a Lady on request, so I decorated these how she wanted 🙂

These cupcakes will keep in an airtight container for 3 days – if its really hot I keep mine in the fridge.

These cupcakes were made with 2/3 of the buttercream as the Lady I made them for didn’t want as much, but I still used the 6 crushed Oreo’s on the inside! 🙂

Find my other Cupcake & Oreo Recipes on my Recipes Page!

• Rahima
    July 17, 2020 at 6:00 pm

Hi

These cupcakes look fantastic so i decided to make them. But as they are cooling down they starting to come apart.

Please can you advise why this may be the case. I used an electric whisk to cream the butter and sugar and then used it to mix the eggs and flour together. Was i suppose to mix with a spoon.

July 17, 2020 at 7:37 pm

Do you mean they are coming away from the sides of the case? That usually means they are slightly underbaked!

• Rahima
      July 18, 2020 at 8:23 am

Yes thats what i mean. They were peeling away from the sides of the cases.

I baked them for 20 minutes, used a pick to see if the cupcake was cooked. There was no crumbs which seemed to suggest it was done. Would you say i should leave it in longer?

I will try making them again.

July 18, 2020 at 8:51 am

So it can still require more baking after a skewer – it’s worth listening to the cupcakes carefully as if they still make a bubbling/crackling sound they may not be quite done. Also, ovens can vary! They can also peel if they are cooling too quickly.

• Kelly
    June 19, 2020 at 11:59 am

Hi, I was wondering will it be okay to make these Oreo cupcakes in silicone cupcake cases (so they have no case on them when they come out of the oven), or do you think paper cases are better? Was just thinking it might look good being able to see the biscuit at the bottom!

June 19, 2020 at 7:33 pm

Hey! I always think paper cases are better as the cakes can dry out quicker without! x

• Amina
      July 7, 2020 at 12:15 pm

Hi Jane! I want to make these cupcakes but I need 24. Will 8 eggs make the cake itself really eggy? I really love your blog, I want to make everything!!

July 7, 2020 at 4:51 pm

Hey! So I would just multiply it up – as long as everything is mixed correctly the ratios are still the same so wouldn’t be eggy! And thank you! xx

• Chanelle
    June 14, 2020 at 12:20 pm

I am going to make these today and only have soft brown sugar! Would this be ok in these cupcakes??

• Katy
    June 6, 2020 at 12:12 pm

I really love the idea of putting a whole oreo at the bottom but I’ve got the mini muffin tray with removable bases so I’m worried that they wouldn’t work?😬
    What would you recommend? 😊

June 6, 2020 at 12:46 pm

Hey! So they should still work, but you would need to line it so it can come out okay!

• Ama
    May 22, 2020 at 7:21 pm

hi i wanted to make these but i wanted to know you said to put a whole oreo in the cupcake case then put the batter on top of it then bake it. What would be better: doing it that way or crushing the oreo and mixing it with the batter before baking

May 22, 2020 at 7:45 pm

For these I would put the oreo on the bottom still!

• Tilly
    April 14, 2020 at 3:43 pm

Hi jane, I am planning on making these however am unable to buy cocoa powder, would Cadbury’s hot chocolate powder do?

April 14, 2020 at 7:01 pm

I personally wouldn’t use Cadbury’s hot chocolate for baking as it can become a little lumpy and doesn’t give much flavour!

• Charlene
    February 16, 2020 at 11:25 am

Hi, I’d love to try you’re recipes. I’m just wondering can you freeze the cupcakes once baked and cooled before decorating? x

• Vin
    November 13, 2019 at 8:35 am

I live in australia.What cocoa powder brand u use for cupcakes? Thank u.

• Rachael
    October 21, 2019 at 10:07 pm

Loved these cupcakes! Only slight issue I had was the Oreos went soft and lost any type of crunch, any ideas how to stop this?

October 22, 2019 at 9:21 am

You can’t – as with any biscuit you use in a bake, they will go soft.

• Rachael
      October 22, 2019 at 12:50 pm

It was the decorative Oreos on the buttercream I was most concerned with as when I gave them out to my family to eat with a cup of tea they expected to be able to remove the biscuit and dunk it in their tea but it had all gone soft

October 22, 2019 at 6:21 pm

Yes as I say, they will go soft – any biscuit left out of a packet for any reason will go soft unfortunately!

• sophie grant
    June 24, 2019 at 10:46 pm

hey i am use to using unsalted butter for any buttercream i make, your ingredient stated butter would this be unsalted or salted ( for the buttercream)

June 25, 2019 at 7:28 am

It’s unsalted – always unsalted in cake.

• Charlotte
    June 20, 2019 at 5:05 pm

Hi, I want a oreo buttercream recipe that will fill and coat a 3 layer, 8 inch cake. How far would this recipe go for that? If I doubled it, would that be enough do you think?

• Steph
    April 10, 2019 at 12:24 pm

Hi,
    I’d really like to make these or the oreo drip cake for my daughters birthday. I was just wondering if I could add melted chocolate to the cake mix and how would I change the recipe for the cake mix if I wanted to add melted chocolate to it? Thanks 😊

April 10, 2019 at 5:08 pm

You can do if you wish! Add in 200g of melted dark chocolate – and simply remove the cocoa powder! Thanks!

• Jude
    April 3, 2019 at 11:34 pm

I made these today, but unfortunately the cases peeled away from the cupcakes as they cooled, any ideas why ?
    I filled the cases almost to the top, and they felt firm when the 20 minutes was up and I took them out of the oven.

April 4, 2019 at 2:17 pm

That can happen if the cupcakes aren’t quite baked enough, and if they were filled quite high the chances are that they weren’t x

• Fliss
    January 9, 2019 at 3:56 pm

I just finished making these (but with vanilla and chocolate in the middle instead) I dunno if it was just my piping bags/nozzle but I could not get the frosting to come out properly. I don’t have a good processer so was wondering if you knew any other way to get the Oreos down to a really fine crumb? Thank you! They look delish btw! (I don’t eat cakes but like to try new things for my colleagues) xx

January 9, 2019 at 7:19 pm

It was probably a mix of too fine a nozzle (if you used one with a patterned end) and not fine enough crumbs – The best way to do if it you don’t have a food processor or not a good one, is to remove the cream inside of the Oreo, and then just chop and crush for as long as you can with just the biscuits! As my food processor has sharp blades, I can keep the insides in and it goes to like a sand texture!

• 321lollipop
    December 9, 2018 at 12:29 am

Hi,
    I am planning to bake this cupcake for my work colleagues. I was wondering if you used medium eggs or large eggs for this recipe? I can’t wait to try them 🙂

• Grace
    July 25, 2018 at 4:14 pm

Hiya! Can I use light brown sugar instead of caster? Thanks! xx

• Oreo Drip Cake! - Jane's Patisserie
    March 31, 2018 at 5:26 pm

[…] Oreo recipe in a while, so doing a Drip Cake was ideal. I used the same Buttercream recipe from my Oreo Cupcakes which I posted ages ago, yet have always used.  I decided to use about 300g of butter for the […]

• T
    January 27, 2018 at 3:36 pm

Hi,

I’m currently baking them now but they’re taking much longer than 20 mins. I’ve used the exact same ingredients as you. Is there a reason why yours only took 15-20 mins? Mine are baking at gas mark 4

Thanks 🙂

January 27, 2018 at 9:08 pm

Nearly every cupcake recipe I bake takes between 15-20 minutes. Average is 18 minutes. If yours haven’t baked properly it implies something was wrong with the mix, or your oven was the incorrect temp. x

• Olivia
    January 24, 2018 at 8:02 pm

Hi

I wondered how you did the piping on this cakes to make it look like that ?? Thanks olivia x

January 25, 2018 at 2:30 pm

I used the piping tip mentioned in the post, and swirled it on! x

• Olivia
      July 22, 2018 at 12:52 pm

When I made these my icing was very runny and it slid off the cupcakes. I let them cool for 15 minutes and usually that prevents the icing from slipping off. When I ate the cupcake it just fell apart. It was very delicious but also very messy so any tips to prevent this from happening ?

July 22, 2018 at 5:05 pm

They need to be completely cooled before icing, probably quite a bit more than 15 minutes. If they were too hot, the buttercream would have melted. You need to make sure that you are using actual unsalted butter (the kind that comes in foil) and not any form of spread for the buttercream otherwise it’ll be too soft, especially in this hot weather.

• Hannah
    February 25, 2017 at 7:15 pm

I’ve tried a few of your recipes and they’ve all been delicious! Your truffles are a big hit with my friends, family and colleagues!
    My mother loves kitkats and I was thinking of adapting this recipe and replacing Oreos with them.. what do you think? Or is there another recipe you’d suggest doing this with?

February 27, 2017 at 10:53 am

Hiya! Sorry i’ve taken so long to reply. I have never tried it, but there is no reason why it wouldnt work? I wouldnt put any kitkats at the bottom of the cupcakes though, maybe just try blitzing them into the buttercream like this on and decorating with them? x

• Ammii
    February 13, 2017 at 12:35 pm

Hi!
    Love the recipe and want to make this for valentines – could you supply the weights in cups by any chance?

Thanks!

February 13, 2017 at 3:49 pm

Hi, sorry but I don’t like measuring in cups as I find it far too unreliable, so I use grams. I suggest investing in a digital scale so you can make all recipes with ease.

• Lisa
    June 19, 2016 at 9:54 pm

Love this recipe. If I wanted to make as a cake instead. What amounts would I use instead. Am thinking of using 3 x 8″ tins. Thanks

June 20, 2016 at 10:23 am

Take a look at my Chocolate Fudge Cake recipe for the cakes, but use the frosting from this one! ☺️

• Mary Foster
    June 14, 2016 at 7:11 pm

Hi Jane, I made these for a friends birthday dinner. They were absolutely delicious and everyone loved them. Thank you for sharing the recipe.

June 14, 2016 at 9:25 pm

Ohh yay! I’m so glad everyone loved them! Thank you! X

• Boy's Adventure Party Printables - Party Auntie
    February 3, 2016 at 1:21 pm

[…] off on his travels to Canada! The mint green cupcake cases are from hobby craft and the fabulous recipe came from […]

• […] bake the cake in separate (smaller) tins. For the buttercream I used a very simple recipe found on Jane’s Patisserie on her Oreo cupcake post which consists of Oreo crumbs, sugar, butter and […]

• Laís @thediabeticviking
    June 19, 2015 at 12:22 pm

the oreo on the bottom was AWESOME! =D
    these look to die for!

• Anne Moynihan
    June 16, 2015 at 6:24 pm

I made these Sunday for a school sports day, the children loved them

• afracooking
    June 12, 2015 at 12:27 pm

Thankfully I am sitting behind of my laptop and not in public – – I just stared drooling 😉

• Sophie Sjösten
    June 10, 2015 at 11:51 pm

I seriously want to try everything you post about! 🙂

• Linda
    June 10, 2015 at 4:14 pm

Beautiful little cupcakes! Love ’em! 🙂

• feedingyourfamily
    June 10, 2015 at 3:48 pm

these look amazing. my husband loves cupcakes! what is caster sugar? i have 2 great british bakeoff cookbooks and they use caster sugar, also. do you know what the equivalent would be in the US?

June 10, 2015 at 3:54 pm

Thank you! I believe the equivalent of Caster Sugar is Super-fine sugar? like its a finer sugar than Granulated/white sugar, but not as fine as Icing/powdered sugar 🙂 does this help?

• stephysweetbakes
    June 10, 2015 at 3:11 pm

Jane, as always, looks fantastic ??

• Marisa
    June 10, 2015 at 12:36 pm

Jane, they look too cute….and delicious?

• Jhuls
    June 10, 2015 at 10:13 am

I could make 1km list from your recipe alone. 😀 These look amazing!!

• Claire | Art and Soul
    June 10, 2015 at 10:04 am

I love the idea of the whole Oreo in the bottom of each case. Lovely as always!
    Where do you get your cupcake cases? I’m always on the lookout for pretty/different ones. 🙂

June 10, 2015 at 10:06 am

Thank youuu!! I buy them from various places, but these ones were from Waitrose if you’ve heard of it? They sell really cute baking things ☺️

• Claire | Art and Soul
      June 10, 2015 at 10:11 am

I’ll have to see if we have a Waitrose anywhere near us. We’re surrounded my Tesco and Asda! If not, I’m off to see my parents next week and I know they have one nearby. I shall pop in to have a look (I’ve exhausted the resources of our local Tesco baking section!). Thanks!

June 10, 2015 at 12:22 pm

Awh hahah it’s okay! They do gorgeous little bags and such too for baked goods ? so cute! I hope you find some!!