Lemon Meringue Cupcakes!

Light Lemon Sponge filled with Lemon Curd, and topped with a deliciously sweet Meringue!

I have always had a thing for meringue, I realise it can be a bit of a ‘marmite’ situation where some utterly despise it, wheres others (including myself) LOVE them. I eat meringues at any occasion, especially in Eton Mess – so good. However, I realise I had never posted my recipe for my Lemon Meringue Cupcakes!

These cupcakes have a delicious lemon sponge with lemon zest in, filled with a lemon curd (I use my homemade lemon curd!) and topped with a silky smooth and fluffy meringue topping. I love using my Andrew James Blowtorch to finish these off – even though I was terrified of using a blowtorch a couple of years ago for fear of having no eyebrows anymore!

These cupcakes are SO good. I am not joking, they went down insanely well with my taste testers, and have been asked to make them already for two birthday parties! The meringue topping is so light in comparison to buttercream (not saying there is anything wrong with buttercream there!) but it makes a lovely change! I have tried doing a meringue style frosting, but I have always preferred the classic meringue, and I have even changed people who originally didn’t like meringue, to liking these as its so fluffy and moist! Even my boyfriend, who haaates lemon, is a fan of these.

I make my cupcakes on the day that I need them, the meringue is always best on the day, but will last in the fridge overnight if need be – fresher the better! However, the actual cupcake recipe is utterly lemony and delicious and lasts for 3-4 days if you wanted them too!

This recipe makes 12-14 cupcakes!

Cupcakes
– 150g Unsalted Butter/Stork
– 150g Caster Sugar
– 150g Self-Raising Flour
– 3 Medium Eggs
– Zest of Two Lemons/1tsp Lemon Extract

Filling
– Dr Oetker Zesty Lemon Filling
OR
Homemade Lemon Curd

Meringue
– 3 Medium Egg Whites
– 150g Caster Sugar

1) Preheat your oven to 180C/160C Fan, and line a 12-hole Muffin Tray with Cases, or put 12 Iced Jems Baking Cups on a tray.

2) Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, add the self raising flour, eggs, and lemon zest and mix until a cake batter is formed – it doesn’t take too long! Especially if using an electric mixer!

3) Spoon into the cupcake cases and bake in the oven for roughly 18-20 minutes until they are cooked through and turning slightly golden – leave to the side to cool.

4) Once they have cooled, cut out the centres of the cupcake to make a small hole and fill with a Lemony filling – I use either Lemon Curd, or the new Dr Oetker Zesty Lemon Filling! Leave to the side whilst you make the meringue.

5) To make the meringue, put your egg whites into a large bowl or electric mixer and whisk until stiff peaks are formed – this means when you stop whisking, but lift the mixture up, the peak formed by lifting up will not really move, it should hold itself!

6) Keep on whisking but this time add spoonfuls of caster sugar as you go – its important not too add too much at once otherwise the meringue will not work! I use a slightly heaped teaspoon each time I add sugar. Keep going till all the sugar is used up, and if you have done it correctly it will be glossy, light, and hold itself.

7) Pipe the meringue on top of the cupcakes with a 2D Closed Star Piping Tip and Blow Torch to colour – if you don’t have a Blow Torch you can put them back in the oven for 5 minutes or so to colour!

I love Meringue but I realise using a blowtorch is a bit daunting! All I can say is have a light touch, don’t go too close otherwise it’ll burn VERY quickly, and don’t be afraid! Follow the safety instructions of your Kitchen Blowtorch and you’ll be fine!

You can always try this with another citrus flavour, but lemon is definitely my favourite!

With Meringues I usually keep to the idea of 1 medium egg white = 50g caster sugar so that if you wanted to make more or less meringue for the topping, simply take these away of add them on and it will still work!

These will last for 2 days in the fridge with the meringue, 3 days without the meringue at room temperature.

I buy my Cupcakes Cases/Baking Cups from Iced Jems – here!

Find my other Cupcake Recipes on my Recipes Page!

• Bethany
    June 21, 2020 at 1:03 pm

These are lovely, Jane! Went down a treat with the whole family. Will be making these again for sure…

I didn’t have a blow torch, so just slowly browned them under the grill and it worked perfectly 💛 5 stars!!

• Shannon Harding
    September 20, 2018 at 2:58 pm

Hello, how would i cook the meringue without a blow torch?

September 20, 2018 at 9:06 pm

The meringue doesn’t have to be properly cooked, but you can brown it under a hot grill maybe?!

• Newport Butane
    June 8, 2018 at 10:37 am

Hey Jane,
    Love this recipe, I would love to share it on our Instagram page. We only share recipes that require a culinary butane torch.
    If you would like to test our butane torches, DM us and we will hook you up with a personalized one 😉
    Thanks for sharing
    Alexa @ NewportButane.com

June 8, 2018 at 9:31 pm

Hiya! You can share the image if you like with a credit to myself? And I’m based in the UK so might be a little far away haha!

• […] My Lemon Meringue Cupcakes are a delicious cupcake twist on a classic recipe, and they always seem to be a hit. However, I get that there are some people who want something a little different to that, or they just want something more normal.. hence these beauties. I often get Lemon & Poppyseed Muffins at a coffee shop as they’re different to something over chocolatey, but these cupcakes.. they’re the perfect twist. […]

• Mary Foster
    June 14, 2016 at 7:14 pm

Hi Jane, I made these for a friends birthday dinner. Omg they were amazing. Absolutely delicious. Thank you for sharing the recipe.

• laurafaith1208
    June 24, 2015 at 8:31 pm

These look amazing! Anything with lemon and/or meringue in it sounds good to me! 🙂

From, thewickedintrovert.com

June 24, 2015 at 8:32 pm

Thank you!! And its an amazing combination isnt it! 🙂

• This Cake is Desi
    June 17, 2015 at 12:54 pm

These look awesome!!!!!!????

• up2umengs
    June 17, 2015 at 9:07 am

Look so goooooood !!! And pretty sure taste great !!!! ten thumbs up!!!

• Nim's Din
    June 17, 2015 at 7:43 am

WANT! Xx

• apuginthekitchen
    June 16, 2015 at 2:04 pm

Love this!!!

• Pistachios
    June 16, 2015 at 12:54 pm

I didn’t even realise the cupcake cases were singed until you pointed it out – I was too busy admiring the meringue!
    Any chance you’ll share your lemon curd recipe? (or is it already posted?)

June 16, 2015 at 2:01 pm

Thank you!! I was going to do a separate post on it later this week actually as id rather it be its own recipe ☺️

• Sehar A.
    June 16, 2015 at 10:29 am

ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS pictures! those cupcakes looks phenomenal! completely professional! =] and i dont bake much but your blog makes me want to try out the recipe you’ve shared. thanks for sharing it!
    And Please feel free to drop by my blog and check out my food-lover’s blog at https://eatandtell1.wordpress.com/ .. Bon Appetit! =]

June 16, 2015 at 11:56 am

Awwh haha thank you! And i shall have a look 🙂

• Sehar A.
      June 16, 2015 at 12:01 pm

thanks ! =]

• vannillarock
    June 16, 2015 at 10:18 am

hahaha…’i got distracted by chocolate…’
    my husband LOVES lemon meringue pie but i like making these because you don’t have the pastry element.
    anne

June 16, 2015 at 10:21 am

I genuinely did haha my brother walked in with some and my hand went a tad array with the blowtorch! Oops. And same, it makes it nice and different, and easier!! 🙂