*This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure for more details!*
Chocolatey Cupcakes with Chocolate Buttercream packed full of Rocky Road Goodness!
Rocky Road is glorious, and my weakness. The other week I posted the recipe for my Cornflake & Malteser Rocky Road and it was a definite success with so many people making it! (Thank you!) I thought that it was about time I posted my recipe for Rocky Road Cupcakes as a few have asked if I had a recipe, and I wanted to make them for a Party so it seemed appropriate!
The Cupcake sponge is chocolatey and riddled with chocolate chips and biscuity bits for a delightful twist on a normal chocolate sponge, whereas the Buttercream is chocolatey through and through – my heaven. I decorate my Rocky Road Cupcakes with what people like about their favourite version of Rocky Road – mine is Marshmallows, Cherries, and Crushed biscuits – although I used Maltesers this time because YUM!
If you’re a fan of Chocolate, or Rocky Road I would recommend trying these because you will not regret it – they’re addictive and I struggle to eat just one. Seriously though, they are a Chocoholics heaven, and because the buttercream is lighter due to being made with Cocoa Powder rather than full on Chocolate you don’t feel so bad after you have eaten one!
This recipe makes 12 cupcakes!
– 150g Butter
– 150g Caster Sugar
– 120g Self-Raising Flour
– 30g Cocoa Powder
– 3 Medium Eggs
– 100g Chocolate Chips
– 4-5 Digestives, chopped up
– 150g Butter
– 300g Icing Sugar
– 50g Cocoa Powder
– 1-2tbsp Whole Milk
– 100g Mini Marshmallows
– Maltesers/Digestives, crushed
– Glace Cherries
1) For the Cupcakes – Preheat your oven to 180C/160C Fan and line a Muffin Tray with Cases
2) Beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy – I do this for a couple of minutes so its super smooth and light – add the self-raising flour, cocoa powder, eggs and beat again.
3) If the mix is too dry add the milk till you have the correct consistency. Fold through the chocolate chips and biscuit pieces and pour into the Cupcake Cases (I use an ice cream scoop so its even across all of the cupcakes!) Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until cooked through! Once baked leave to cool.
4) For the Buttercream – Beat the butter with an electric mixer for a couple of minutes to loosen it – gradually beat in the icing sugar until well combined, then add the cocoa powder and beat for 5 minutes until a silky lovely buttercream texture is produced. If the mixture is a little stiff, add one tablespoon of boiling water at a time till you reach the consistency you want!
5) To Decorate the Cupcakes – Pipe onto your cupcakes with your favourite nozzle – I used my Wilton 1M tip – my favourite!
6) Decorate with all the RockyRoad goodness – I used crushed Malteser’s, Mini marshmallows, and Glace Cherries!
Tips and Ideas
I find that the idea of ‘Rocky Road’ is so versatile that its hard to say really what should go in the Cupcakes or on top of them, so I went for my favourites!
These cupcakes will last in an Airtight Container for 3 days – in the fridge if its hot!
The Cupcake and Buttercream recipe is based on my Chocolate Cupcakes 🙂
P.s. Rocky Road in Cupcake form is ALWAYS going to be a good idea.
Find my other Cupcake Recipes on my Recipes Page!
P.P.S – Sorry if you received this recipe via Email last night when it wasn’t finished or correct – this is the completed version – Enjoy!