*This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure for more details!*
Chocolatey Cupcakes studded with Chunks of Terry’s Chocolate Orange, topped with an Orange Buttercream, and even more Chocolate Orange!
It’s no secret that I LOVE the Chocolate & Orange combination – it’s my addiction – and I have had many people ask for a Cupcake version of my Chocolate Orange Bundt Cake so I thought I would oblige (and I seriously craved some anyway!)
After some research I found that a lot of Chocolate Orange Cupcakes consist of Chocolate Orange Buttercream – and this sounds amazing, however, I wanted to try something a little different compared to most of what I had seen! I did, however, compensate for the lesser amount of Chocolate Orange by adding chunks of the chocolate to the sponge – and this was an amazing idea. I LOVE it. They suit the taste of the sponge perfectly, and make it a little different! 🙂
These cupcakes are super easy to bake, just like any other cupcake, but they definitely have the WOW factor! These went down an absolute treat with my trusted Taste Testers and they wanted more. Seriously, I’m not joking! If you are not a fan of the actual Terry’s Chocolate Orange, or you cant get access too it, you can use normal Milk/Dark Chocolate and add in Orange Zest to be a delicious substitute!
I personally utterly adore these cupcakes. They’re genuinely one of my most favourite cupcake recipes I have, and they’re suitable for all year round. These bad boys get more popular around Christmas time, but I am a Terry’s girl for life, not just for Christmas. Get it? Too far? Clearly not. I literally LOVE these! They’re definitely adaptable to what you prefer yourselves, but I love them just the way they are.
Terry's Chocolate Orange Cupcakes!
- 150 g Unsalted Butter
- 150 g Caster Sugar
- 120 g Self Raising Flour
- 30 g Cocoa Powder
- 3 Medium Eggs
- Zest of 1 Orange (or 2 tsp extract)
- 150 g Terry's Chocolate Orange
- 150 g Unsalted Butter
- 350 g Icing Sugar
- Orange Food Colouring
- Juice of 1 Orange (or 1 tsp extract)
- Terry's Chocolate Orange
- Melted Chocolate
- Preheat your oven to 180C/160C Fan and line a muffin tray with cases. Chop up your Chocolate Orange if you haven’t done so already!
- Beat the Butter and Caster Sugar together until smooth and fluffy, I beat mine for 2 minutes.
- Add the Self-Raising Flour, Cocoa Powder & Eggs and beat again. Try not to over beat, or mix too quickly.
- Fold through the Chocolate Orange Chunks & Orange Zest and spoon into your cases – using an Ice-cream scoop is easier as it will make each cupcake have the same amount!
- Bake in the oven for 17-20 minutes until cooked through! Leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Beat the Butter for 3-4 minutes until very smooth and supple, you need it to be smooth so that the Icing Sugar goes in easier!
- Gradually add the Icing Sugar (I add mine 100g at a time) and beat each time – add the Orange Flavouring, and Food Colouring – I like to use the Fresh Orange Juice, but if you’d rather add the Flavour Extract that is fine too!
- Pipe your Buttercream onto the cakes how you please and decorate!
- Add on some Terry's Chocolate Orange Segments, melted chocolate and sprinkles!
- I looooove using Terry’s Chocolate Orange as the flavour is amazing. However, you can easily use the same weight of chocolate, and just add the zest of two oranges if you don’t have access too it!
- Also, with the Orange Extract Flavouring, add it a couple of drops at a time till you get your desired flavour – some need a few teaspoons, some need a couple of drops depending on where they’re from!
- These Cupcakes will last in an airtight container for 3 days!
Find my other Terry’s Chocolate Orange Recipes on my Recipes Page!
© Jane’s Patisserie. All images & content are copyright protected. Do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.