Lemon Posset Tart!

Deliciously Creamy Lemon Posset on top of a Buttery Biscuit Base – Yummy No-Bake Dessert based on a Classic… the Lemon Posset Tart!

I have always adored Lemon Posset as its so simple yet simple scrumptious. Who knew that combining sugar, cream & Lemon could lead to something SO good?!

When I worked at a cafe a few years ago, they made afternoon teas every day… one of the preparations for this was to make mini individual Lemon Posset’s with a raspberry on top.

It’s a very simple dessert to make in reality. All you do is add the cream and sugar together, heat and boil in the pan, and then add the lemon zest and juice! It really is only three ingredients (technically four if you claim lemon zest/juice is two!)

I however always crave something biscuity with my Lemon Posset’s so decided to ramp up the standard recipe a tad and make it into a Lemon Posset Tart! And do you know what this means? It’s Basically just a No-Bake Lemon Tart and who doesn’t love that idea!

I realise that this looks a lot like a Cheesecake but its not, its simpler then that and SO MUCH EASIER! Technically yes you need a hob to be able to do it, so you are ‘cooking’ something in a way, but it’s still just a five ingredient tart without the decoration!

For the base, I simply used a standard Cheesecake style base of 300g of biscuits to 150g of melted unsalted butter, and topped it with all of the Lemon Posset mixture – easy!

I find that Possets in general are a very easy dessert – the ratio of 200ml of cream to 1 lemons worth of zest is what works best, and its deeeelicious! However, that isn’t enough for this tart, so 600ml Double Cream is needed!

You can obviously just make this in to individual Posset’s leaving out the biscuit base, or even serve them individually! If I do that, I usually make 8-10 portions of of this mixture! Or if you go mini, use shot glasses!

The setting part is a little weird, as the mixture (because of what you do to it) sorta ends up jelly like, but it’s thicker, and completely natural! The top of the tart naturally colours quite yellow as well, which helps with the Lemon theme!

For the decoration, I go simple. It’s completely and utterly optional (as always!), but whipped swirls of cream, a sprinkle of a crushed biscuit, and some freeze dried raspberries! Simple, yet elegant.

I hope you love this as much as I do! Enjoy! x

Lemon Posset Tart!

Deliciously Creamy Lemon Posset on top of a Buttery Biscuit Base - Yummy No-Bake Dessert based on a Classic... the Lemon Posset Tart!
5 from 1 vote
Category: Dessert
Type: Tarts
Keyword: Lemon
Setting Time: 4 hours
Total Time: 4 hours 30 minutes
Servings: 12 Slices

Biscuit Crust

• 300 g Digestives
  • 150 g Unsalted Butter (melted)

Lemon Posset Filling

• 600 ml Double Cream
  • 200 g Caster Sugar
  • Zest of 3 Lemons
  • 75 ml Lemon Juice (about 2 lemons)

Decoration

• Blitz the Digestives in a food processor and add the melted Unsalted Butter, pulse together until combined.
  • Spread onto the bottom and sides of an 23cm Tart Tin. I usually start on the sides, and then cover the bottom last!
  • Pour the Double cream and Caster Sugar into a large pan and heat on the hob gently, stir till the sugar has dissolved.
  • Turn the heat up (medium heat max!) and heat the mixture till it starts to boil gently, stir frequently to stop the mixture from catching on the bottom – let it boil for 1 minute and then turn off the heat.
  • Stir in the Lemon Zest and Fuice and pour onto the biscuit base – refrigerate for 4+ hours, or preferably overnight so it has time to set properly!
  • Once set, decorate how you please – I mix 150ml Double Cream with 2 tbsps Icing Sugar and pipe on, and then use some Freeze Dried Raspberries, and some Biscuit Crumbs!

• This is obviously a giant Posset so it takes longer to set then Posset’s in individual glasses so be patient with the setting!
  • If you want to try a different Citrus flavour then go ahead! Just make sure you stick to the same amount of Zest and Juice so that it will still set!
  • This will last in the fridge, covered, for 3 days!
  • You can buy freeze dried raspberries from places such as Waitrose, Lakeland, Sainsburys, or a much bigger amount online
  • I recommend using this 23cm tart tin for the recipe!
  • Also... TOP TIP - I find it's MUCH easier to pour the lemon mixture into the tin whilst in the fridge, so I don't have to move the tin after it's full. But I get this isn't possible for everyone!
Nutrition Facts
Sugar 26g29%
Protein 3g6%
Vitamin A 1231IU25%
Vitamin C 3mg4%
Calcium 50mg5%
Iron 1mg6%
* These are only estimates and can vary dependant on brands of ingredients and serving sizes.

Find my other Dessert Recipes on my Recipes Page!

• Rebecca Smith
    June 14, 2020 at 10:15 am

My sister lives in Brazil where they use condensed milk in a lot of recipes. She makes a lemon tart where you whisk a tin of condensed milk with 200ml double cream and then whisk in as much lemon juice as you like and it magically thickens into a posset like mixture. Pour it on top of a biscuit base and set in fridge. I was amazed how well it worked and how easy!

• Mags
    May 26, 2020 at 10:58 am

This is a delicious tart. I enjoyed making this. It was a doddle to make and was scoffed by everyone – in fact, some had 2 portions. Thank you.

• Nicola crane
    May 7, 2020 at 9:47 pm

I don’t have a flan tin, will a normal cake time work?

May 7, 2020 at 10:21 pm

Yes it would – but you still need to put the biscuits up the side to contain the posset mix!

• Sharon Wall
    November 6, 2019 at 8:20 am

I’ve made this once and everyone I asked to try it LOVED it!! Making it again this week. So tart and tangy but creamy and yum. Thanks!
    I got the tin on your link and it was perfect. Xx

• Gemma
    May 27, 2019 at 5:55 am

Do you cool the mixture before pouring onto the biscuit base? I have a homemade burnt butter & coconut biscuit crumb in my freezer that i need to use up and think this would be perfect with it but I’m just a bit worried the base will go soggy if the cream mixture is hot when poured onto the base?

May 27, 2019 at 12:25 pm

No, you pour it on hot. As soon as it cools it’ll start to set, so you pour it on when freshly made!

• Paul
    May 4, 2019 at 10:33 am

This recipe sounds great but I would have thought the posset would leak over the side of the base. Does the springform cake tin hold the posset in place without leaking?

May 4, 2019 at 10:56 am

If you make the posset correctly as is stated in the recipe, it sets firm so won’t leak.

• Linda Truong
    March 2, 2019 at 1:32 am

Hi! I’d like to replace the caster sugar with honey-can you tell me how many mls I would need? Also, will the posset firm up enough if I use honey? I’m just worried about the firmness & that it won’t hold its shape 😉 Many thanks!

March 2, 2019 at 9:10 am

I wouldn’t replace the sugar with honey.

• Jodie Brookes-Kavanagh
    February 24, 2019 at 10:09 pm

Can I use 300ml clotted cream and 300ml double cream. Would that work? 🙂

February 25, 2019 at 9:06 am

I’ve never tried that with a posset before, but as long as it still boils etc then I don’t see why not! x

• Lee-Ann Bush
    December 21, 2018 at 10:48 am

Hi, would this work with a pastry base?

• Kate
    November 13, 2018 at 3:17 pm

We have what is equivalent to whipping cream in fat content here – do you think it would be ok to use instead? Can’t get double cream.

• Geoff
    October 12, 2018 at 4:44 pm

Hi Jane i am a 65 year old man who loves cooking but have never baked a thing in my life, this lemon posset is the first sweet ive ever made & it went down a treat with with my family so im about to make an orange one with a chocolate digestive base wish me luck !

October 12, 2018 at 5:30 pm

That’s amazing! Enjoy it, I love orange possets as well!!

• r d
    August 12, 2018 at 5:28 am

HI,
    Just found this site, and it’s a blessing. Curious question..where I am, there is no double cream. We get single cream in boxes. Would sweetened condense milk work?

August 12, 2018 at 10:20 am

Hiya – I’m really sorry but I don’t know – the idea is that the cream and sugar boils together and sets, so I’m not sure if condensed milk would work or not as its not just dairy if that makes sense? You could try the single cream but it might not set as well? x

• Annie
    June 24, 2018 at 10:47 pm

I love this lemon posset so much it’s delicious your so clever Jane.

• […] in July 2015, I made my Lemon Posset Tart, and it has always been a hit. It’s a delicious way of changing up a classic, or making a […]

• Stephanie Carrington
    January 31, 2018 at 3:30 pm

what size springform tin do you use for your lemon posset tart and how many people does it serve?

February 1, 2018 at 5:24 pm

I use an 8″ one as mentioned in the method of the post. It also states how many it serves above the recipe.

• Marianna
    December 29, 2017 at 12:29 am

Hi Jane.. i made this for my mother in law for boxing day and it was wonderful! I used some lemons i got brought ober from cyprus… the taste was out of this world! I want to make it for my sister on nye but shr doesn’t like biscuot bases. Can I do these in glasses/pots? How many do you think the posset mix would make?

December 29, 2017 at 4:28 pm

Off the top of my head I can’t really remember how many, but it depends how big your glasses and such are as well. I’d say about 6-8 decently sized ones?

• Laura
    February 21, 2017 at 5:42 pm

Would this be OK in a 23cm tin?

February 21, 2017 at 5:54 pm

Yes, it will just be a lot thinner though! x

• Susie B
    August 29, 2016 at 1:45 pm

MacMillan Coffee Morning coming up – this and your FABULOUS lemon cheesecake meringue are my offerings!! Thanks Jane. Incidentally, it’s nice to see posts other than those from the US – the recipes are nice enough but the whole cup and stick thing throws me!!! ?

August 30, 2016 at 8:43 am

Ohh thank you Susie! I hope you love this and the cheesecake! ☺️ Yeah I’m really not a fan of cup measurements as I find them so unreliable and it’s just confusing haha!

• Sue B
    July 4, 2015 at 8:05 pm

Oh my! This was delicious!! And so easy – couldn’t believe that cream, sugar and lemon would set so well.

July 4, 2015 at 8:06 pm

It’s insane isn’t it how it works so well! Easier than cheesecake almost ?

• aleciabakes
    June 30, 2015 at 2:40 pm

i love lemon posset. i usually serve mine with almond shortbread.

June 30, 2015 at 3:49 pm

Yeah I love serving it with shortbread! I just wanted to try something different 🙂

• aleciabakes
      June 30, 2015 at 5:46 pm

Really great idea. Well done!

• Jesamine
    June 29, 2015 at 9:40 pm

Ahh, I love lemon posset! this is a great idea… yum!

• postdot
    June 29, 2015 at 7:10 pm

Reblogged this on PostDot.

• apuginthekitchen
    June 27, 2015 at 12:46 pm

Love Lemon Posset, and this is a beautiful tart.

June 27, 2015 at 1:21 pm

Thank you! And me too, i love anything lemony haha 🙂

• thesnowwoman
    June 27, 2015 at 12:39 pm

Lovely!

• Louise the knitting lamb
    June 27, 2015 at 11:56 am

We have a neigbourhood party next week and since I had no idea what I should contribute to it I told the organizer that she should call me as soon she knows what everyone else is bringing and tell me if I should rather bring a salad, a cake or another dessert. Well, I think I have to call her right now and tell her that I’m bringing a cake 🙂

June 27, 2015 at 1:20 pm

Awwwh haha yay!! If you do make it I hope everyone loves it 🙂 x

• abbiosbiston
    June 27, 2015 at 11:56 am

This looks amazing! I love lemon desserts.