*This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure for more details!*
A delicious easy Mint Chocolate Chip Ice-Cream that you can make at home – and no need for an Ice Cream Machine!
I must say that I ADORE Ice-cream; no matter if it is summer or winter, hot or cold, I will always be in the mood for ice-cream. I have always used it as a home remedy for when I am unwell, and when I want something not too heavy for a dessert! With the fashion of ice cream parlours growing again, ice-cream could be considered the “in thing” again – but for me, it never went out of style! Ice-cream is an amazing thing!
When I was away in Devon we were taught how to make proper ice cream from scratch – such as cooking it in a pan to cook the eggs out and thicken naturally – and there is nothing wrong with that! They are incredibly ice-creams and I love making them that way too! However, they are more time consuming. I thought that the easier way to get what I want quicker is to simply cut to the chase and use a simpler recipe – and therefore be able to mix it together relatively quickly and leave to freeze overnight, or use my ice cream maker if I am feeling fancy.
One of the things I find about mint ice-cream is that its so refreshing and light compared to a chocolate fondant for example, yet the ice cream WITH the fondant would be a match made in heaven! There are endless possibilities with ice-cream, especially when you can make it so easily at home.
This particular recipe I posted as one of my original recipes on here, but I decided to repost with a couple of wee changes – and better pictures 😉 seriously though, its utterly delicious – and SO easy to make!
This makes 2L Ice-Cream!
– 1x 397g Tin of Condensed Milk
– 2tsp Peppermint Essence
– 100g Chocolate – chopped up into small pieces
– 1/2tsp Vanilla Bean Extract
– 600ml Double Cream
– Green Food Colouring
1) In a Stand Mixer with this whisk attachment (or a large bowl with a hand-held whisk) Mix together the tin of condensed milk, peppermint essence, and vanilla!
2) Pour in the double cream and whisk for a couple of minutes on a medium-high speed until thick and some green food colouring and continue to whisk until you reach the colour you want – I use gel food colouring!
3) Continue to whisk the mixture until its very thick and holds itself – fold through the chopped up chocolate and pour into a freezer proof container or a tin and either cover with a lid or some cling film and freeze for at least 6-8 hours, or over night
4) To serve – remove from the freezer about 30 Minutes before you want to serve it and store it in the fridge – as its homemade (or like some shop bought ice-cream) they’re a bit hard straight out the freezer! Serve how you like and ENJOY!!
Tips and Ideas
If you’re not a massive fan of mint, use a little less – or if you absolutely adore it, use more! I find my Peppermint Essence in the Baking isle alongside the Vanilla essence and such – and the Food Colouring I use is SugarFlair food colouring! 🙂 I prefer to use Gel colouring as you have to use far less, and it doesn’t have a funny aftertaste!
I serve my ice-cream up with a fresh bit of mint, and a chocolate drizzle, or in a cone – delicious on a summers day!
P.s. I warn you that it is INSANELY addictive.
You can find my other Ice-Cream Recipes on my Recipes Page!
© Jane’s Patisserie. All images & content are copyright protected. Do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.