Chocolatey Cupcake dotted with Hazelnuts, topped with a Creamy & Delicious Nutella Buttercream Frosting with Kinder Bueno… Amazing Nutella Cupcakes!
Some of you may also know that a little while ago I ventured to Italy with my Family, and Italy = Nutella in my mind. I had it EVERY day, at breakfast, in Gelato, and for pudding.. I am Nutella obsessed, which you can probably tell by looking at my Ferrero Rocher & Nutella No-Bake Cheesecake and my Ferrero Rocher & Nutella Chocolate Tart recipes!
These have a delicious Chocolate Cupcake sponge with Hazelnuts to give an extra nutty taste. I then cut out a little bit of sponge to create a Nutella centre… hello yummy. I then created a Nutella Buttercream to go on top, and topped that with some extra Hazelnuts and a piece of Kinder Bueno! Honestly, you can change this up if you wanted… like I wanted to use Ferrero Rocher, but damn they’re too pricey!
I remade these cupcakes in August 2017 as the old recipe wasn’t my style any more. I wanted to make the recipe more simple, and even more delicious. I love using the Iced Jems Baking Cups for these as the colours are so bright, but you can use whatever you fancy! Swirling on the buttercream is just a little show.. you can just splodge it on if you wanted. I only ever put this much effort into baking when its for me blog, and usually there is a lot more mess in my kitchen, so I really do restrict myself haha!
These are definitely for Nutella Fans, and Chocolate Fans, and even Cupcake Fans – they’re an all round winner in my house and with my taste testers so I hope you all like them too!
This recipe makes 12 Cupcakes!
Chocolate Hazelnut Cupcakes
– 175g Unsalted Butter/Stork
– 175g Light Brown Sugar
– 50g Finely Chopped Skinned Hazelnuts
– 3 Large Free Range Eggs, beaten
– 140g Self Raising Flour
– 35g Cocoa Powder
Nutella Buttercream Frosting
– 150g Unsalted Butter, Softened
– 300g Icing Sugar
– 150g Nutella
– 2tbsp Boiling Water
– Kinder Bueno Pieces
– Chopped Hazelnuts
1) Preheat your oven to 170C/160CFan and Line a 12 Hole Muffin Tray with Large Cupcake Cases/Muffin Cases or put 12 Iced Jems Baking Cups onto a flat tray like I did!
2) Cream together the Butter and Sugar with an electric beater till smooth – add in the Hazelnuts, Beaten Eggs, Flour, and Cocoa Powder and beat again for about 30 seconds on a Medium Speed.
3) Spoon into your Cases and Bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes or until cooked through! Leave to cool on a wire rack.
4) Once the cakes are cool, cut out a hole in the middle of the cupcakes and fill with nutella.
5) Now make the frosting – beat the butter till smooth and supple – add the icing sugar and beat again for a couple of minutes. Add in the Nutella, and beat again.
6) If its still or looking a bit weird, add 1-3tbsps of Boiling Water to loosen it slightly and smoothen it. I use my KitchenAid for Frostings as the machine can make it so much lighter and fluffier!
7) Decorate your cupcakes how you like – I use a 2D Closed Star Piping Tip, and swirl on my buttercream. I then sprinkle of some chopped hazelnuts, and a piece of Kinder Bueno! And ENJOY!
Tips and Ideas
These Cupcakes are delicious how they are – but you can miss out on the nuts in the sponge if you just want chocolate – or switch them out for a different nut! Just don’t go over 50g as I find that makes them dry!
You can make your Frosting more Chocolatey if you like by adding 25g Cocoa Powder and only 275g Icing Sugar!
These Cupcakes will last in an airtight container for 2-3 days!
The original recipe for this post was as follows for those who loved the original:
150g Unsalted Butter
125g Golden Caster Sugar
75g Chopped Hazelnuts
3 Medium Eggs
100g Self Raising Flour
25g Cocoa Powder
2tbsps Whole Milk
Find my other Cupcake Recipes on my Recipes Page!
© Jane’s Patisserie. All images & content are copyright protected. Do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.