*This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure for more details!*
Chocolatey cupcakes dotted with hazelnuts, topped with a creamy & delicious Nutella buttercream frosting with Kinder Bueno… amazing Nutella cupcakes!
Some of you may also know that a little while ago I ventured to Italy with my Family, and Italy = Nutella in my mind. I had it EVERY day, at breakfast, in Gelato, and for pudding..
These have a delicious chocolate cupcake sponge with hazelnuts to give an extra nutty taste. I then cut out a little bit of sponge to create a Nutella centre… hello yummy.
I then created a Nutella buttercream to go on top, and topped that with some extra hazelnuts and a piece of Kinder Bueno! Honestly, you can change this up if you wanted… anything chocolate or hazelnutty would taste great!
Recipe update and baking cases
I remade these cupcakes in August 2017 as the old recipe wasn’t my style any more. I wanted to make the recipe more simple, and even more delicious.
I used some plain brown cases for these cupcakes as I think the colour makes the bake look even more chocolatey! You can use baking cups if you prefer though – these are what I had in the drawer!
Swirling on the buttercream is just a little show.. you can just splodge it on if you wanted. I only ever put this much effort into baking when its for my blog and usually there is a lot more mess in my kitchen, so I really do restrict myself haha!
These are definitely for Nutella fans, and chocolate fans, and even cupcake fans – they’re an all round winner in my house and with my taste testers so I hope you all like them too!
- 175 g unsalted butter
- 175 g light brown sugar
- 50 g skinned hazlenuts finely chopped
- 3 large free range eggs beaten
- 140 g self raising flour
- 35 g cocoa powder
Nutella Buttercream Frosting
- 150 g unsalted butter softened
- 300 g icing sugar
- 150 g Nutella
- 2 tbsp boiling water
- Kinder Bueno pieces
- Chopped hazelnuts
- Preheat your oven to 170C/160CFan
- Line a 12 hole muffin tray with large cupcake cases/muffin cases
- Cream together the unsalted butter and light brown sugar with an electric beater until smooth
- Add in the hazelnuts, beaten eggs, self raising flour and cocoa powder and beat again for about 30 seconds on a medium speed
- Spoon into your cases and bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes or until cooked through
- Leave to cool on a wire rack
- Once the cakes are cool, cut out a hole in the middle of the cupcakes and fill with Nutella.
- Beat the unsalted butter until smooth and supple
- Add the icing sugar and beat again for a couple of minutes
- Add in the Nutella and beat again
- If its still or looking a bit weird, add 1-3tbsps of boiling water to loosen it slightly and smoothen it. I use my KitchenAid for frostings as the machine can make it so much lighter and fluffier!
- Decorate your cupcakes how you like - I use a 2d closed star piping tip, and swirl on my buttercream.
- I then sprinkle of some chopped hazelnuts, and a piece of Kinder Bueno!
- These cupcakes are delicious how they are - but you can miss out on the nuts in the sponge if you just want chocolate - or switch them out for a different nut! Just don't go over 50g as I find that makes them dry!
- You can make your frosting more chocolatey if you like by adding 25g cocoa powder and only 275g icing sugar!
- These cupcakes will last in an airtight container for 2-3 days!
- The original recipe for this post was as follows for those who loved the original:
150g Unsalted Butter
125g Golden Caster Sugar
75g Chopped Hazelnuts
3 Medium Eggs
100g Self Raising Flour
25g Cocoa Powder
2tbsps Whole Milk