*This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure for more details!*
Light & Moist Coffee and Walnut Cupcakes with Coffee Buttercream Frosting!
I have been trying to think of Cupcake recipes that people would want to see and make themselves, and these came up. My Coffee Cake recipe was so popular and such a big hit with my readers that I know these will be loved by all too! My Carrot & Walnut Cupcakes are such an old recipe on this blog now that they’re rarely seen, but these will hopefully bring the Walnut love back.
When I was little I never really liked Nuts and I can’t drink Coffee… so these sound like my childhood nightmare. HOWEVER. These Cupcakes are SO damn moist and delicious I just can’t get over it – and the nuts give that added extra crunch that everybody craves in a cupcake! Sometimes I can find that cupcakes can be a bit sickly, or too sweet? But the Coffee in the sponge and buttercream gives it a delightful twist of almost bitterness with sweetness? It’s delicious either way.
If you like Coffee Cake then you will utterly adore these. One of my main Family Friends literally CONSTANTLY says that she likes Walnuts with her Coffee Cake, so these were made as her little Birthday treat and they went down an absolute storm! Even I, the childhood nut/coffee hater was converted to these and even my own Mum was surprised by that. Like, she was shocked and didn’t believe me that I liked it! How dare she. Cupcakes will always convert me to liking something! They are cupcakes after all…
But anyway, I use just a regular Instant Coffee in the actual Cupcakes and in the Frosting, these really are SO simple to achieve yourself. Of course, if you don’t actually like walnuts you can use a different nut that you prefer, or you don’t even have to use nuts. I have made this recipe countless times now with or without nuts and the cupcakes themselves are just so light and delicious that any Coffee lover will love these. Enjoy!
This recipe make 12 cupcakes!
Coffee & Walnut Cupcakes
– 175g Unsalted Butter, Softened
– 175g Light Brown Sugar
– 3 Large Free Range Eggs, beaten
– 175g Self Raising Flour
– 2tsps Strong Instant Coffee
– 75g Walnuts, Chopped
– 150g Butter
– 350g Icing Sugar
– 2tsps Strong Instant Coffee
– 50g Walnuts, Chopped
1) To make the Cupcakes – Preheat your oven to 170C/160CFan and Line a 12 Hole Muffin Tray with Large Cupcake Cases/Muffin Cases
2) Dissolve the 2tsps of Instant Coffee in one tablespoon of boiling water and leave to cool completely.
3) In your stand mixer – Cream together the Butter and Light Brown Sugar with an electric beater till smooth – add in the Beaten Eggs and Flour and beat again for about about 20-30 seconds on a Medium Speed! Add in the dissolved and cooled coffee and beat again till combined.
4) Fold through your chopped walnuts – Scoop your batter into your Cases and Bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes or until cooked through! Leave to cool on a wire rack.
5) To make the Buttercream – The same as earlier, dissolve the other 2tsps of Instant Coffee in one tablespoon of boiling water and leave to cool completely. In your stand mixer – Beat the butter with an electric mixer for a couple of minutes to loosen it – Gradually add the icing sugar on a slow speed until it is combined then speed the mixer up and beat for 3-4 minutes until fluffy and smooth.
6) Add the dissolved coffee to the buttercream and keep on beating for 5 minutes until whipped, light and fluffy!
7) To decorate the Cupcakes – Pipe the buttercream onto the cupcakes, and sprinkle over some extra chopped walnuts and some sprinkles! Enjoy!
Tips and Ideas
I buy my Cupcakes Cases from Iced Jems – here!
I used the regular strong Instant Coffee that my parents have in the cupboard – its the same coffee I used for my Coffee Cake so I know it works!
Be really careful not to over bake the cakes or you might lose the light texture – I bake mine for 18 minutes in my oven, every single time, as I know how long my oven takes to bake certain things – all ovens can be different!
These cupcake will last in an airtight container for 3 days!
Find my other Cupcake Recipes on my Recipes Page!
© Jane’s Patisserie. All images & content are copyright protected. Do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.