Salted Caramel Millionaires Shortbread!

Naughty & Delicious Salted Caramel Millionaires Shortbread – Heavenly Treat that Everyone Adores!

I have obviously always adored anything Caramel, especially anything Salted Caramel. This is obvious, just search Caramel on my blog and you will find oodles of references to the heavenly creation. My favourite being my No-Bake Salted Caramel Cheesecake. However, this is definitely on par with that because HELLO YUMMMMM.

I posted my first Millionaires themed recipe ages ago in the form of my Millionaires Shortbread – it has always been so popular when I have posted it onto my social media pages, and when I have made it for my friends and family. Seriously, its always the traybake to make for a gathering! When I posted my Salted Caramel Nut Slice recipe my readers were launched into the delicious world of nutty, salty and sweet – HEAVEN. However, I decided that it was about time I posted my recipe for my Salted Caramel Millionaires Shortbread as I have had so many requests for it!

I used the same shortbread recipe that I used in my  Millionaires Shortbread, and the same Caramel recipe as in my Salted Caramel Nut Slice, but I added the salt to the caramel itself this time. The problem with such things as this is that you can’t taste test how salty it is as it is really really hot. Obviously. If you are nervous about how salty it will be then start with less, maybe two pinches of salt (See my notes below!) and you will be dandy.

I decided to use a mix of chocolates on top of my shortbread this time because I love the mix of it, and its an easier way to decorate something without much effort. You can of course just use one type of chocolate, but it ain’t as pretty! One thing I must say though is just using a tin of Carnations Caramel will NOT work. You MUST make the caramel for it to set, carnations caramel will just stay a sloppy mess – and its much easier to make a caramel than you think! Enjoy!

This recipe makes 16 squares!

Shortbread
– 200g Unsalted Butter, room temperature
– 100g Caster Sugar
– 275g Plain Flour

Salted Caramel
– 200g Unsalted Butter
– 3 Tbsp Caster Sugar
– 4 Tbsp Golden Syrup
– 1x 397g Tin Condensed Milk
– 2-3 Pinches Sea Salt

Topping
– 200g Milk Chocolate
– 100g Dark Chocolate

1) Preheat your oven to 180C/160C Fan, and line a 9x9inch Deep Square Tin with Parchment Paper.

2) Cream together the sugar and butter in a stand mixer with the paddle attachment until smooth – mix in the flour until a dough is formed. It will be crumbly but the ingredients will be evenly dispersed! Firmly press the mixture into the bottom of tin and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until pale golden on top!

3) Once baked, remove from the oven and leave to the side. In a large saucepan pour the condensed milk, butter, sugar, and golden syrup and melt on a medium heat till the sugar has dissolved – stir frequently to stop anything from catching.

4) Once the sugar has dissolved, turn the heat up high and let the mixture come to boiling point and boil for 5-7 minutes stiring constantly so that the mixture doesn’t catch. BE CAREFUL as the mixture is VERY hot and can burn you if it splashes back! The mixture will be ready when it has changed to a slightly darker golden colour, and has thickened to a soft fudge texture!

5) Crush your 2-3pinches of Sea Salt into the Caramel and mix in – Pour the caramel onto the shortbread base and leave to set.

6) Once chilled, melt the chocolates and pour over the caramel – Swirl them together with the end of a cake skewer so it forms a pretty pattern. Chill the Shortbread back in the fridge for another 1-2 hours until the Chocolate has gone hard**!

7) Chop your Shortbread into the separate pieces and enjoy!

This will keep in an airtight container for at least 1 week – if they last that long!

If you caramel is rock solid when you remove it from the fridge, you have slightly over done it. Not to worry though, when you pour the chocolate on, leave it to set at room temperature rather than in the fridge and it should soften the caramel slightly.

**If you struggle to cut your shortbread and tray bakes without the chocolate cracking on top, set it at room temperature rather than in the fridge and it’ll be softer so therefore won’t crack when you cut it!

I use Maldon Sea Salt as it tastes delicious and I like my caramel salty so I use the 3 pinches – I really recommend using Sea Salt over ground fine salt as the taste is nicer, and its easier to use compared to the fine salt where you could easily add in far too much.

Find my other Tray Bake and Caramel Recipes on my Recipes Page!

• Leah
    June 30, 2020 at 5:57 pm

Hi, I’ve made this today, which is my second go. My caramel set fine last time, and looks to be doing the same right now, but the colour doesn’t seem quite right either time. Instead of the beautiful caramel colour I’m ending up with more of a Scottish tablet colour. It tastes fab, but I was wondering if I’m doing something wrong ?
    Leah

June 30, 2020 at 7:08 pm

Have you switched any ingredients to even different brands? Sometimes that can be the cause – but it may just be that your heat is slightly lower this time as it’s a different time of year?

• Leah
      July 1, 2020 at 6:18 pm

Ah, I did use an own brand condensed milk. I’ll try the carnation one next time and see if that makes a difference. Thank you!
      I get so many compliments on my baking and I tell everyone to use your recipes as they are my go to and so easy to follow!
      Leah

• Colette Devereux
    June 26, 2020 at 8:08 am

Hello, might be a silly Q regarding the chocolate….do I pour either the dark/milk on first then the other one on top of that and then swirl?

Going to make these later on today….probably not the best idea on a super hot day but I can’t wait! s

June 26, 2020 at 8:45 am

I usually pour the milk on first as there is more of it, then dollop the dark on and swirl!

• Louise
    June 20, 2020 at 12:55 pm

Do you have to use a stand mixer for this recipe ?

June 20, 2020 at 4:22 pm

No – I would just use your hand and a spoon/spatula – just add things in more gradually and beat like crazy!

• Nicola Grummett
    June 18, 2020 at 6:51 pm

Does anyone know if I can use golden caster? It’s all I could find and I’ve had a demand from my dad for weeks after I last made it!

• Zoe
    June 17, 2020 at 6:00 pm

I’m making these on Friday!! The condensed milk, is it norma or caramel one you use?

June 17, 2020 at 6:46 pm

Yay! For these, you use normal condensed milk as you are making the caramel yourself!

• Lauren
    May 24, 2020 at 4:03 pm

Hi Jane can’t wait to make these! Will honey work instead of golden syrup do you know? Thanks!

May 25, 2020 at 7:03 pm

It’s not a straight substitute – as in it can change the taste, texture and end result! It’s worth a go, but it may cause it to split so don’t over heat! xx

• Nicole
    May 12, 2020 at 9:00 pm

Hi Jane, I made these over the weekend and it was such a huge success. My family are super impressed by them too! Your blog is absolutely amazing and I can’t wait to try some more of your recipes!

• Alice
    May 10, 2020 at 11:29 am

Hey! I’m just about to make your salted caramel millionaire shortbread but I only have self easing flour and no plain flour. Can I adapt it?

• Alice
      May 10, 2020 at 11:31 am

*self raising flour

May 10, 2020 at 1:46 pm

You can use self-raising, but obviously, as this has raising agent the texture of the shortbread will be quite different to how it should!

• Beth
    May 6, 2020 at 12:31 pm

I’ve not been able to get hold of condensed milk but I do have a tin of evaporated milk. Can I substitute that for condensed milk?

May 6, 2020 at 5:18 pm

Unfortunately not – no. They are very different products. I’ve read you can make your own condensed milk from evaporated milk though so it’s worth a google.

• Becky
    May 3, 2020 at 8:09 pm

I made these for the first time last week and I can’t believe how good they came out and they tasted amazing! Will definitely be making these again!

• Jordan Lunnon
    August 27, 2019 at 6:13 pm

These are sooo amazing, i make my first batch a week ago and i’ve already bought ingredients for a third because people love them so much! Thank you!

• Abbie
    August 16, 2019 at 7:50 am

Is there a temperature of when the caramel is just ready? I have made this recipe so many times and I still always have variations on the caramel as I get nervous it will be overdone so take it off and it’s not ready enough and sometimes I get it spot on

• Victoria
    July 3, 2019 at 7:43 pm

My caramel looked like the butter split as there’s was a thin layer on top. What did I do wrong?

July 3, 2019 at 10:04 pm

You may have boiled it for a smidge too long or slightly too hot so it split x

• Jacob Hardman
    June 15, 2019 at 8:27 pm

Could I substitute the unsalted butter for stork? Would it make a world of difference? This also relates to your other brownie recipes like triple chocolate.

June 16, 2019 at 8:48 pm

For shortbread I always recommend using actual butter – otherwise it could taste different as they’re are only three ingredients. Other traybakes you can use stork, but I naturally use actual butter again!

• Amanda Soar
    May 31, 2019 at 10:59 am

Hi Jane really want to try this recipe but I only have a 8in deep square tin , would it work??

May 31, 2019 at 11:00 am

It would, but it would just be very very deep! The shortbread may take a bit longer to bake as well x

• Francesca Lobban
    November 8, 2018 at 10:54 pm

Hi Jane, I just tried to make this, but the minute any heat touched the milk and butter/sugar, it burnt, I didn’t get to the boiling stage and I stirred it constantly, but it all burnt. What did I do wrong? 🙁 any ideas, I had to throw it all away…thank you for you help. x

November 9, 2018 at 9:34 am

You have to put the condensed milk, sugar, butter and syrup into the pan and then heat it slowly. If it was already burning, the pan was far too hot. It should take quite a while to melt the butter/dissolve the sugar into the mix on a medium heat, so it just sounds like it was already too hot before it started x

• Anna Chilvers
    September 16, 2018 at 6:25 pm

I’ve just made these and they are delicious! Do you think they would freeze ok?

• […] decided to go quite similarly along the lines of my Salted Caramel Millionaires Shortbread as the recipe is just so popular and works so well. It was quite simple to adapt to make it […]

• Kirsty
    March 4, 2018 at 3:28 pm

Hi Jane.
    I’ve just made this, and it’s just setting. I’m scared to cut it! Have you ever tried using a hot knife? Would that make it easier or is it a bad idea?

March 4, 2018 at 8:13 pm

I haven’t personally tried that as I usually just use a very large sharp knife, but I’m sure a hot one would work!

• Kirsty
      March 7, 2018 at 2:29 pm

Well, i tried the hot knife and it worked, but it kinda smeared the lovely layers at the side. Excellent recipe though! Everyone loved it. I’ve just made your Rocky road…. I’m sharpening my knife for this one 😁
      Thanks Jane x

• Elena Hancock
    February 27, 2018 at 6:12 pm

Hi, I want to make this but I only have a tin of the carnation caramel not the condensed milk. Would that be alright to use that? And to thicken it would it be best to put it in a pan and reduce it down?

February 28, 2018 at 9:04 am

Hiya – I’m not sure that would work as using the condensed milk and the other ingredients creates a setting caramel, heating the carnation caramel might just loosen it somewhat.

• Pauline
    February 12, 2018 at 7:52 pm

Hello. Do you melt the chocolate separately and pour on top separately and then swirl with the skewer?

• Amy
    October 17, 2017 at 1:08 pm

I’ve just made this and it looks delicious! I’m not sure I can wait for the chocolate to set before I tuck in!
    Thank you for another fabulous recipe

• victoria
    September 9, 2016 at 8:40 pm

I’ve made the nutty one and its delicious. I’m going to make this one next. How much salt roughly in teaspoons would you use and is it the salt you get in the grinder please. thanks for sharing your recipes xx

September 10, 2016 at 1:19 pm

Hiya, I used pinches of salt in this recipe, and yes that sort of salt would be correct! xx

• Lauren Victoria
    May 13, 2016 at 12:09 pm

Omg these look so so so yummy!!!! I need to try them asap xx

Lauren | itslaurenvictoria.blogspot.co.uk