*This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure for more details!*
Gooey, rich, chocolate dippy eggs with hot cross bun fingers!
Chocolate dippy eggs
Honestly when this idea was discussed with some gals from Cosmopolitan magazine, I was like OH YES PLEASE because my gosh this is my idea of heaven. I kid you not, I devoured these the first time I tested them out, and then when I was making them again to take photos, it was so hard to not eat them quickly again!
These are much easier to make than they might sound to some people but OH MYYYY hello. A pre-bought chocolate shell because I am super lazy, and they’re cheap, and then an incredibly easy chocolate sauce mixture for dipping. YES.
Patience is key
You can easily make these into a delicious creamy yoghurt in a way by setting the sauce liquid, and its so indulgent. It’s like those mini Gü pots you can buy that are just so delectable. However, these are homemade so are better. I was doubting what this could taste like, and how runny it might be and such… but I kid you not its perfect. You just have to have faith and more importantly PATIENCE so that you don’t melt your shells. I might have had an accident on the first test batch because I was testing the heat and well yeah… melty mess.
I waited for my chocolate sauce mixture to get to a cool temperature, where you can easily dip your finger in without getting burnt, and its basically cold. Obviously, you don’t want it to set though so make sure you give it a stir every now and again! And also cover it so it doesn’t form a skin. Pouring it in is simple, but make sure you don’t have any hidden cracks in your egg shells because that also made a bit of a mess for me. One of the shells at the back of this photo was cracked through the entire little photoshoot and it was suuuuuccchhhhh a mess to clean up! Nearly made a brown stain on my back drops!
Hot cross bun fingers
Someone suggested dipping hot cross bun fingers into these rather than regular toast fingers to make it even more Easter themed and I think it was the best thing to have happened ever. I do eat a lot of hot cross buns year round (As they’re one of my favourite treats ever) but the Easter special flavours that crop up around this time of year are always a dream. Last year Marks & Spencers did a chocolate and fudge hot cross bun which was seriously yum, but they’ve out done themselves this year with their new salted caramel and chocolate ones. I kid you not, I have eaten FAR TOO MANY THIS YEAR.
I lightly toast mine, don’t bother with butter, and then dip away into the shells and its just so incredibly perfect. They are delightful. They are gooey, chocolatey, delicious, sweet, and perfectly Easter themed. If you want to have a little fun and do something different this year then definitely try these out because THEY’RE DELICIOUS. Enjoy! X
Chocolate Dippy Eggs!
- 10-12 Mini Chocolate Egg Shells
- 100 g Dark Chocolate
- 100 g Milk Chocolate
- 75 ml Double Cream
- 75 ml Whole Milk
- 2 tbsp Golden Syrup
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Hot Cross Buns
- Break up your Dark Chocolate and Milk Chocolate into small pieces, and add to a heavy based saucepan.
- Add in your Double Cream, Whole Milk, Golden Syrup and Vanilla and heat it together on a low-medium heat, stirring regularly.
- Once melted, let the mixture cool. Whisk every now and again to prevent a skin forming.
- While the mixture is cooling, carefully cut the tops off the mini Chocolate Egg Shells. I use a sharp small knife and carefully cut them off, preventing the shell from cracking.
- Once the chocolate dippy mixture is cooled, pour carefully into the shells. Make sure the shells are supported enough so they don't fall over!
- Toast some Hot Cross Buns and cut into fingers - dip into the shells and enjoy a gooey chocolate DELICIOUS treat!
Find my other recipes on my Recipes Page!