Homemade Caramel Sauce!

Easy and Delicious Homemade Caramel Sauce made with six ingredients, and better than any shop bought!

So after posing endless amounts of caramel recipes on my blog, I thought it was high time to post a homemade caramel recipe that you could use in all of them. Yes, its still going to be easier to buy some, but you know… homemade is best! No additives, and you know exactly whats in it. Also, its much easier to make compared to what you might think!

I tried several before settling on this being my favourite recipe. It wields about 375ml of caramel, which I put into two 125ml clip top kilner jars, and a ramekin as I miiiiiight have broken one of my kilner jars. Its basically enough to use in a few recipes, or to drizzle on ice creams and such. Or, as much as I hate to admit it… dip a chunk of apple in to and devour.

There are various different types of caramel in the world, and I just love it. I am more in love with salted caramel in comparison to regular caramel, but thats just a personal thing. I love to add sea salt chunks to my caramel, as they taste much better than fine table salt you tend to have at home. Maldon Sea Salt is my favourite, but thats also personal choice.

If you don’t want your caramel to be salty, then you can leave out the salt entirely. Or, you can just add in a smidge of it to take away the over powering sweetness of the caramel in general. However, this caramel isn’t the sweetest already, which is partly why I adore it so much! I could devour it with a spoon to be honest.

Making caramel can be a bit of battle for some people, but its worth the try. Luckily, you don’t waste all the ingredients if it goes wrong, only the sugar part. If its your very first time of making caramel, don’t be too disheartened if its too runny because you under did it, or if you burn it. I would definitely say burning is worse, and you’ll know it when it happens!

The caramel will take what feels like an age to turn to the amber colour you want, to be able to add the cream and the other ingredients. It will just be a clear bubbly liquid for god knows how long, and then suddenly start turning into a golden delicious amber caramel. Keep an eye on it, and don’t walk away… its kinda magical to watch it to be honest. Also, it smells utterly delicious.

After the caramel turns into the delicious amber colour, you have to add in the cream, and watch it bubble up whilst you whisk. Add in the butter, the vanilla, and then the salt, whisking in-between each one. You end up with a gorgeous, silky smooth caramel that you can use in all sorts of treats. You can see the vanilla speckles in mine, amongst the gorgeous golden colour, and now you’re salivating? Right? No? damn.

Enjoy! x

Homemade Caramel Sauce!

Easy and Delicious Homemade Caramel Sauce made with 6 ingredients, and better than any shop bought!
5 from 11 votes
Category: Dessert
Type: Caramel
Total Time: 15 minutes
Servings: 8

• 250 g White Granulated Sugar
  • 75 ml Water
  • 200 ml Double Cream
  • 60 g Unsalted Butter
  • 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
  • 1/2 tsp Sea Salt

• In a large heavy based saucepan, add the water and sugar. Heat on a low-medium heat, and stir constantly until the sugar has dissolved into the water. The water will still look a touch cloudy when dissolved, but there will be no sugar granules any more.
  • Once the mixture has dissolved together, and it starts to bubble slightly, turn the heat up higher and STOP STIRING. Leave the mixture alone, and do not touch it. Wait for the mixture to boil away to an amber colour. This often takes between 5-10 minutes, depending on your pan, and hob etc.
  • Once the mixture has turned to the correct colour, take it off the heat and pour in the cream. The mixture will bubble up quite a bit, but whisk it together till combined.
  • Then, add in the butter, and whisk till melted. Add in the vanilla, and again whisk. Finally, add in the salt and whisk again.
  • Once all combined, pour into some clean, and appropriate containers such as jars, and leave to cool on the side. Once completely cool, refrigerate.

• You really need to keep an eye on the caramel when its turning to the amber colour. There are seconds between it turning from a delicious amber colour, to burnt.
  • It can take ages for it to turn to a different colour, but thats just the process it takes. It's basically heating up, and once it reaches a certain point, it'll turn to the caramel.
  • The caramel should be kept in the fridge, but it will get harder in the fridge. Microwave to soften what you need.
  • It'll last in the fridge for up to two weeks as long as the container its put into is spotlessly clean.
Nutrition Facts
Potassium 18mg1%
Carbohydrates 32g11%
Sugar 31g34%
Vitamin A 555IU11%
Vitamin C 0.2mg0%
Calcium 18mg2%
* These are only estimates and can vary dependant on brands of ingredients and serving sizes.

Find my other Caramel Recipes on my Recipes Page!

• Maisie
    September 10, 2020 at 5:26 pm

Hi Jane!
    Firstly – I aboslutely love all of your recipes, I have made so many! And my mum always makes my birthday cake, homemade obvs!, and i always ask for a specific cake of one of your amazing recipes. My birthday is in 2 weeks, and its my 16th and I asked for my mum to make the chocolate orange cake! Can’t wait!
    This caramal recipe, looks really good, would it work in substition of Dulce de Leche or carnations caramal, as I want to make the salted caramal chocoalte tart as part of my GCSE NEA Exam cook, but wanted to make my own caraml (as its more complex and is a higher skill) – do you think that it would work?
    Thanks Maisie 🙂

September 11, 2020 at 8:42 am

Hey! Yes this would work in place of – you just need to make sure you follow the steps carefully and it’s the perfect caramel sauce! x

• Liza Presho
    September 6, 2020 at 9:39 am

Hi would this work using dairy free butter and the elmlea plant double cream?

September 7, 2020 at 2:49 pm

I’m honestly not too sure – I would imagine it would work, but the properties of the cream in particular are very different so I am unsure! x

• Hannah
    September 4, 2020 at 4:36 pm

This is the 2nd recipe I have tried for caramel after the 1st tasted too sickly and grainy. This is absolutely perfect!! I love caramel so I was disappointed on my first try but this is sooo good 🙂
    I’m using it in your white choc and caramel blondies!
    Thank you!

September 4, 2020 at 7:54 pm

Ahh yay! I’m so glad you loved it!!

• Chloe
    July 23, 2020 at 6:08 pm

Hi! Currently making this caramel now, I tried it yesterday but I burnt it🙄 hopefully this time I wont😂 can this caramel be used in your recipes when it says carnation caramel as a substitute? Was hoping to make the mars bar brownie but add a little caramel aswell, would this also work or would it just turn into a gooey mess? Thanks! X

July 23, 2020 at 7:19 pm

Hey! So yes it can be used in place of carnation caramel such as my Rolo Cheesecake for example – it can be slightly different and can firm up in the fridge so keep it at room temp (but fully cooled) before using in a cold dessert, but something like brownies it should be okay, if you don’t add too much! x

• Sian
    July 15, 2020 at 7:34 pm

Hi Jane!
    Planning to make a banoffee pie this weekend. Would this caramel be a suitable sauce to put inside of the pie? Also, can caster sugar be used instead of white granulated sugar? Thank you! X

July 15, 2020 at 8:49 pm

So the caster sugar changes the timings of making the sauce – such as the sugar dissolves quicker and therefore can burn quicker, but otherwise it can work! x

• Michelle Mota
    July 4, 2020 at 10:37 pm

Hi Jane,. Would this caramel be suitable as a cake filling? Thanjs xx

• Ellen Connolly
    July 4, 2020 at 10:44 am

Hi jane
    I’m looking for a caramel that I could use to go over a flapjack for a banoffee style, or snicker style flapjack , would this be thick enough?

July 4, 2020 at 7:03 pm

Hey! Probably not – it’s best to use a millionaires style caramel!

• Elisha
    June 27, 2020 at 5:54 pm

Hi Jane the colour of my caramel seems to be very yellow

June 27, 2020 at 7:34 pm

What exact ingredients did you use? how did you boil it? what pan did you use? how long did you boil it for?

• Elisha
      June 28, 2020 at 2:23 am

I used exactly what the ingredients say and good quality am I not boiling the water and sugar long enough maybe

June 28, 2020 at 9:06 am

Okay yes I would say you aren’t getting the caramel to boil for long enough so the colour is lighter! x

• Judles
    June 24, 2020 at 2:19 am

Sorry Jane, is this caramel sauce not suitable to swirl through ice cream (to go in the freezer)? Do you have another caramel recipe for ice cream as I was looking to do the crunchie/honeycomb ice cream? Thank you x

June 24, 2020 at 12:58 pm

I wouldn’t use this caramel as a base sauce personally, you want to stick to the condensed milk type – but swirling through it should be okay, the texture is just slightly different!

• Judles
    June 24, 2020 at 2:14 am

Hi Jane, roughly how much caramel sauce does this make in ml would you say? Thanks! c

• Kay
    June 19, 2020 at 8:47 pm

Hi Jane, thanks so much for the recipe – I nailed it on my second try and it was delicious!

I’m making this to form part of a frosting for a friend’s birthday cake this August (currently doing test runs!). She’s asked for it to be lactose free as her father is intolerant. I used lactose free cream, but later on realised I’d used regular butter, and so I need to find a lactose-free substitute. Do you have any thoughts on whether this would still work with an unsalted lactose-free butter?

June 20, 2020 at 4:27 pm

Hey! Oooh so if the lactose free cream worked, that’s great! And lactose free butter should also work, but sometimes as it’s not actually butter it can seem more oily/split a bit – so if it does split, bring it off the heat and just beat like absolute crazy and it should come back together x

• Katy
    June 18, 2020 at 2:59 pm

Would this caramel work swirled into one of your ice cream recipes? I don’t want the caramel swirled in to freeze solidly.

June 18, 2020 at 7:17 pm

Hey! This one may freeze more than the other as the other has the right preservation method! x

• John
    June 14, 2020 at 4:04 pm

Thanks for the recipe, we loved it!

I’d like to make a smaller cheescake though, about half the size. Would you just half the recipe?

June 14, 2020 at 4:55 pm

Hey! This depends on the recipe, but typically a 6″ tin fits half a cheesecake recipe.

• Claudia
    June 7, 2020 at 10:04 am

Hi Jane, would I be able to use this as a filling in cupcakes and it still be soft/runny? (I used another caramel sauce recipe from another website and it’s lovely and runny once made and put into the cupcakes but starts to set quite thick even at room temp, so my it’s almost like a soft toffee in my cupcake! (Which isn’t what I want, I want more of a runny spread type consistency)

June 7, 2020 at 10:07 am

Hey! This tends to thicken a lot more once it’s put in the fridge, and will thicken a bit anyway at room temp, but not nearly as much! x

• Jade
    June 6, 2020 at 5:18 pm

Can this sauce be made in advance and frozen?
    Thanks! X

• Rachel
    June 4, 2020 at 10:34 pm

Hi! Just wondering if I’m able to use whipping cream instead of double cream to make this caramel sauce? Or will it affect the thickness? Thanks!!

June 4, 2020 at 10:50 pm

Hey! It could affect the thickness as the fat content of whipping cream is quite different x

• Amy
    June 4, 2020 at 1:55 pm

Hi Jane, I’ve made this sauce before and its amazing. I wanted to make another batch, but can’t get hold of granulated sugar at the moment. Can I use caster sugar? I’m wondering if I should just leave out the water?

June 4, 2020 at 7:45 pm

Hey! You follow the recipe as it is, but the sugar will dissolve quicker is all so be careful to not over do it! x

• Christine
    June 2, 2020 at 9:25 pm

wonderful recipe I was very tempted to stir at the bubbling point but kept to the recipe and the results AMAZING I have never made caramel before My taster (husband) gave it 10/10 Thank you I will be visiting your recipe page soon

• Wennsdai
    May 29, 2020 at 8:38 am

Can I use this caramel on a cheese cake or because when it’s in fridge it goes hard will it not work x

May 29, 2020 at 2:04 pm

Hey so this caramel can be used in the cheesecake or even a drizzle – but you may want it to be more at room temperature before using! x

• Eloise Panter
      June 4, 2020 at 5:30 pm

This recipe is so quick and easy I love it. Thanks for another great recipe Jane!

• Elizabeth Clark
    May 15, 2020 at 9:26 am

How do I thicken up the sauce, it’s quite runny 🙂

May 16, 2020 at 3:08 pm

It will thicken up nicely in the fridge by itself! x

• Hayley Simmonds
    May 12, 2020 at 11:25 pm

Hi Jane!
    Love your recipes and thanks so much for giving us lots of yummy things to make at the moment. Quick question – I made this caramel sauce a few days ago. It’s delicious and I love the thickness but it started going slightly grainy after about a day when it had fully cooled down. Obviously the sugar is crystallising out a bit but I’m not sure why…any help/advice much appreciated because the taste is amazing!
    Thanks 🙂

May 13, 2020 at 2:27 pm

Hey! Ahh yay!! Sometimes this can happen due to the heat change – or I’ve been told it can even be down to the utensil used when making it weirdly enough!! It may be worth adding a tiny amount of lemon juice at the beginning if you make it again, or when making it make sure that none of the sauce is catching up the side of the pan as this can cause a few issues too!! xx

• Millie
    May 1, 2020 at 8:49 pm

I’ve just made this and its delicious but how long will it last for?

• Gail Fitzpatrick
    December 19, 2019 at 5:40 pm

I have tried 4 Carmel recipes with failure in all. I want to make turtle candy. Having trouble getting 250 degrees on my thermometer Its a ew one howcanI check it

December 19, 2019 at 9:38 pm

This is for caramel sauce – not a hard caramel!

• Jen
    November 12, 2019 at 9:38 am

I was wondering if you have a favorite saucepan you would recommend for all things caramel making? I get by with the one I use but I am thinking of investing in a decent one and any advice would be great!!
    Jen

November 12, 2019 at 4:06 pm

The only pans I use now are eaziglide never stick 2 – they’re a little pricey, but 100% worth it in my opinion! I bought mine from John Lewis x

• Sarah McHugh
    October 30, 2019 at 4:43 pm

Jane I just made this and wanted to say thank you for such an easy caramel recipe. It is sooo delish. I also used golden granulated sugar as only had this one and seemed to work just fine. *****

• Dorothy\
    April 22, 2019 at 1:13 pm

is the same kind of caramel sauce I would use when I make chocolates, never made caramel ones yet though but want to try. I s the salt a must as I have high blood pressure, I use half salt for eating, please reply to my email I am a senior and not good with computers thankyou, llove your sweet recipes. but I also have type two diabetes but still eat sweets unfortunately

• Carla
    August 22, 2018 at 11:07 am

Love your recipes! Your webiste is my go to when looking for a new recipe to try out!
    How could I make a thicker caramel? Obviously altering amounts will alter the taste! I want salted caramel to add to my brownie recipe, but if I add a sauce it just bubbles into the batter whilst cooking. Although tastes yummy, you lose those lovely bites of chewy salted caramel that I have had in bought brownies in the past. Any suggestions? Thanks x

August 23, 2018 at 9:13 am

I would say that this is quite thick, its not runny by any means if done correctly. You could try using caramel sweets inside, so that they melt from a solid instead?

• Iris millet
    May 1, 2018 at 9:57 pm

When making the carmel. I find it grains after a day in fridge. Why is it foing that. Nice and smooth when first made?

May 1, 2018 at 10:00 pm

Is it this recipe or a different one? If its a different one its hard to tell. If its this one, it should still be smooth but will be stiffer. It might be that yours was on the verge or crystallising so it can go a bit grainy, but heating it for 10-20 seconds in the microwave should make it fine!

• Jules
    April 30, 2018 at 6:03 pm

Totally agree with adding the Sea Salt Jane, makes yummy taste deliiiiiissssshous. Maldon does it for me too, great recipe I will have to try

• Kelly | Maverick Baking
    April 30, 2018 at 12:49 pm

Yesssss – homemade is always the best, especially with the added salt!