*This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure for more details!*
Easy Dog Friendly Pupcakes for your Furry Friends with Banana and Peanut Butter, and a Cream Cheese topping!
So recently my beautiful Golden Retriever fur child Rolo turned three years old, and I am still fully and utterly obsessed with how cute he is. We got him as an 8 week old ball of golden fluff, and he is still just as gorgeous now, even if he is a lot bigger.
For his first two birthdays I wanted to make him dog friendly cupcakes (puppy + cupcakes = pupcakes), and I either haven’t had time, or have got him some other treats… but this year I was determined to actually make them. And I am so glad I did, because they are 100% his favourite treat ever.
Some people may have read this post and thought “why on earth are you giving your dog human food” or “I thought these would be dog themed cupcakes but for humans” but no… they are in fact perfectly edible cupcakes, but pupcakes.
Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think dogs should be given much ‘human’ food at all, but every now and again (and in the correct form) it doesn’t hurt. Most dog food or treats have flour or other ingredients in to make them actually what they are anyway!
I feed Rolo Royal Canin Golden Retriever food and we always have done since we got him – we weigh it out each day, and he is a healthy and happy boy. His mostly eaten treats are in fact vegetables or fruit. We would be perfectly happy with giving him the ‘Raw’ diet, but the cost factor of it and storage of the food is what put us off!
Rolo adores carrots, cucumber, banana and such like. Don’t worry, he doesn’t eat loads of each, but they’re much better than actual dog treats! Occasionally he’ll have bonios, or gravy bones, but he bloody loves a piece of cucumber.
So, because we are quite strict, we thought that some Pupcakes couldn’t hurt – and he is OBSESSED with them! Honestly, if my hand goes anywhere near the tub with them in, his eyes light up and he looks like a puppy again! Those begging eyes are irresistible.
The actual pupcake mixture itself only has eight ingredients, which may sound like a lot.. but when you break it down, the ingredients are actually perfectly fine! These could be eaten by humans as there is nothing in there that we wouldn’t eat either!
Banana, Peanut Butter, Wholemeal Flour, Oats, Egg, Honey, Water and Baking Powder. Nothing sinister in there! They are essentially just a very healthy banana bread recipe, which is good! They’re so easy to make as well, as it’s basically just mushing everything together in a bowl and baking!
I chose to top mine with a small dash of cream cheese, and this may be a shock to some people – but the tiniest amount of cream cheese is fine for the dog. It’s mainly just there to make it look a bit more cupcake like, and be able to stick a biscuit down on!
As with any type of food that isn’t a common thing for a dog to eat, they should only be eaten in small quantities, and that’s why Rolo would only eat one in the day (and maybe two if he’s been really very very good) and I am happy with that.
One thing I must point out however, and many of you dog owners will already know that with Peanut Butter you must make sure it does NOT contain Xylitol as it’s very dangerous for our furry friends – this only tends to be in cheaper and not as nice peanut butters anyway – and I tend to buy peanut butters that are 100% peanut! You also need to make sure there is no added salt. For you UK people, I use the Meridian brand!
I was inspired by the recipe from Primrose Bakery Christmas book, but altered them to be larger (as I found them to bake much better this way), and also a few more, so Rolos furry friends could have them too! You can easily half the recipe to only make 6! I hope your furry friends enjoy! x
- 2 Ripe Bananas
- 150 g Peanut Butter (SEE NOTES BELOW)
- 2 Medium Eggs
- 75 g Honey
- 100 g Wholemeal Flour
- 75 g Rolled Oats
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 125 ml Water
- 12 tsps Cream Cheese
- 12 Dog Biscuits
- Preheat your Oven to 180C/160C Fan and get 12 cupcake cases ready - I use the Iced Jems ones!
- Add your Banana to a bowl and mash up.
- Add in the Peanut Butter, Eggs, and Honey and mix together till combined.
- Add in the Flour, Oats and Baking Powder and mix till combined - it will be quite thick.
- Add in the water a little at a time until all mixed in!
- Split evenly between the 12 cases, and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until browned on top.
- Leave the Pupcakes to cool fully, and remove from their cases (so the furry friends don't eat them!)
- Spread over a teaspoon of cream cheese per Pupcake, and add on a dog biscuit!
- IMPORTANT - You MUST make sure your Peanut Butter does NOT contain Xylitol - it's poisonous for dogs. It's also best to use one with no added Salt.
- I use the smooth Meridian Peanut Butter!
- This recipe was inspired by the Primrose Bakery Christmas book!
- You can half the recipe to make six Pupcakes, or split half into twelve if you have a smaller dog who eats less! Bake them for 10 minutes if they are smaller.
- I store these in the fridge with or without the cream cheese when its hot - but if it was Winter, and there wasn't any Cream Cheese on them yet, then room temperature is fine.
- These freeze well!
Find my other Recipes on my Recipes Page!
© Jane’s Patisserie. All images & content are copyright protected. Do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.