Baileys Chocolate Tart!

A Rich and Luxurious Baileys Chocolate Tart with a Chocolate Biscuit Shell, Rich Baileys Chocolate Ganache Filling, and Baileys Whipped Cream on top!

It’s the most wonderful timeee of the yearrrrr. And I am completely and utterly full to the brim of Chocolate and Baileys. So, why not make that even better, by adding in a Baileys Chocolate Tart?! OH HELLO!

Yeah so it’s a week till Christmas now… ONE WEEK. And I still think there will be people out there who haven’t quite worked out what they are baking for the big day. One thing I can honestly appreciate is when you know you have oodles of cooking to do… do you really want to bake something?!

I often do, but I often also make a no-bake dessert as well. These tend to be easier, you don’t need the oven on, and you can make them a few days ahead with no issues. I love a no-bake dessert as we all know, so this one takes the biscuit!

I decided to make this tart a really luxurious and delightful dessert by making it as indulgent as I could, without taking it too far. I wanted a simple biscuit base as my other tarts have, such as my Billionaires Tart, S’mores Tart, and Biscoff Tart

I just adore a biscuit base, as it’s the same as a cheesecake base, but works so well when making a no-bake tart! I decided to make it chocolatey by adding in cocoa powder, and I just adore it! You can easily make it non-chocolate by taking out the cocoa powder however.

For the filling, I wanted it to be extremely luxurious and indulgent and rich. It’s designed to be a showstopper of a dessert, and this seemed the only way! I followed a similar idea to my Billionaires Tart, but obviously adapted it to be Baileys themed, and without the caramel!

The filling does seem very runny when you make it, and you’ll probably wonder whether it will actually set – but it does, and it’s worth the worry. Oh my actual days, it tasted so much better than I thought it would – I made it several more times.

I used the original baileys, but you can easily use a flavoured or themed one if you prefer – but I just love the OG. The chocolate one would obviously work well too – but I do think the original is better for the whipped cream on top!

For the cream on top, it will be slightly softer than your regular whipped cream, but it still does pipe well – I think it looks good, and it tasted INSANE. Top that with some grated flakes of chocolate, and you are set! It doesn’t need too much more, and this tart will serve plenty as it’s so rich.

I hope you all love this delicious indulgent Baileys Chocolate Tart as much as I did – enjoy!!

Baileys Chocolate Tart!

4.93 from 13 votes
Category: Dessert
Type: Tarts
Keyword: Baileys, Chocolate, Christmas
Setting Time: 3 hours
Total Time: 3 hours 40 minutes
Servings: 12 Slices

Biscuit Shell

• 300 g Digestives
  • 35 g Cocoa Powder
  • 150 g Unsalted Butter (melted)

Baileys Chocolate Filling

• 175 g Dark Chocolate
  • 175 g Milk Chocolate
  • 300 ml Double Cream
  • 150 ml Baileys
  • 50 g Unsalted Butter

Topping

• 125 ml Double Cream
  • 25 ml Baileys
  • 2 tbsp Icing Sugar
  • Grated Chocolate

For the Biscuit Base

• Blitz your biscuits in a food processor, or bash them up to a very fine crumb in a bowl.
  • Add in the cocoa powder, and mix.
  • Add in the melted butter, and mix to a wet sand texture!
  • Press into the bottom and sides of a 23cm loose bottomed tart tin for best results!

For the filling

• Chop your chocolate up finely, and cube your butter to as small as you can. Add to a large bowl.
  • Add your Double Cream and Baileys to a pan, and heat till just before boiling point.
  • Pour the mixture over the Chocolate/Baileys and whisk/stir till smooth. If there are any lumps that haven't quite melted, whack the mixture in the microwave for 10 seconds at a time till melted fully!
  • Once melted - pour the mixture into the tart tin. Sometimes I find this easier to do in the fridge, to save me having to carry the full shell of runny liquid.
  • Leave the tart to set in the fridge till solid - it will take at least 3 hours!

For the Decoration

• Whip together your Double Cream, Baileys and Icing Sugar until pipeable - pipe with your favourite piping tip onto the tart case.
  • Decorate by grating some chocolate over the top, and enjoy!

• I recommend using this tart tin for best results!
  • As mentioned in the post, I used original Baileys but any will work!
  • I really do recommend using half milk/dark for the tart for the best results.
  • You can use all dark, but if you want to use all milk chocolate you need to use 100ml baileys, and 200ml double cream.
  • The cocoa powder in the base is optional!
  • This will last for 3 days once made!

Find my other Recipes on my Recipes Page!

• Elaine
    March 5, 2021 at 9:57 pm

Looks amazing. How boozy is it? If It’s subtle and I wanted to make it a bit stronger how much could I increase the alcohol by so that it still sets? Thanks!

March 6, 2021 at 12:20 pm

I wouldn’t recommend using any more baileys – its pretty much at its limit, but I think it tastes quite strong as it is!

• Valerie
    January 19, 2021 at 7:53 pm

Hi there! This recipe looks delicious 🙂 Quick question, are the digestives plain, or chocolate flavored? Thanks!

• Lauren
    January 14, 2021 at 6:36 pm

Looks incredible!! Just wondering could
    I use this recipe to make miniature ones or would it not work?

January 15, 2021 at 8:35 pm

Yes it would work, how many you get etc just depends on the moulds you use!

• Lauren C
    January 3, 2021 at 6:55 pm

Hi Jane!
    I’m on a caffeine and alcohol free diet due to illness recovery :’( but we have one of these tarts in the fridge and I’m wondering if we could freeze some of it so I can try it at a later date? It looks so good ahh! Thank you x

• Lorna
    December 30, 2020 at 8:30 pm

Delicious and so easy to make. I took it into work so we had very pleased police in my hometown last night!

• Stacey
    December 27, 2020 at 4:38 pm

Made this for Christmas Day after dinner. Fabulous! I used one bar of 70% and one bar of 85% dark chocolate as we quite like dark chocolate and rich flavours and the rest of the milk chocolate was 60%. The filling set perfectly and everyone loved it! Ill definitely make this again! Served it with fresh cream and ice cream which did help the richness for those who found it a bit much. Dont need to serve a big slice, this would easily serve 12, if not more, this is quality over quantity!

• Zoe Ologbenla
    December 26, 2020 at 10:16 am

Incredible! I made for Christmas Day and my husband said it was the best thing he ate all day. I’ll be making it again.

• Nuala Lillis
    December 20, 2020 at 8:24 pm

Hi. Can I use a springform (The one that has the release on the side of the tin) tin for this recipe?

December 20, 2020 at 9:08 pm

You can, you would just need to build the biscuit up the sides of the tin x

• Marjolein
    December 9, 2020 at 9:55 pm

This is looking amazing for a Christmas pudding! I’m looking to make this the day before Christmas and leave in the fridge overnight. Will the cream topping survive a day in the fridge or do you recommend decorating on the day? x

December 10, 2020 at 10:15 am

Yeah that would be fine in the fridge over night! x

• Angela
      December 10, 2020 at 12:15 pm

Hi Jane. I made the biscoff version of this & omg it was amazing. I too plan on doing this for Christmas but wondered if you could do it with white chocolate as I have a white chocolate baileys 😋😋. What would be the quantities please? X

December 10, 2020 at 5:35 pm

I am not 100% sure if it will set as I haven’t tried it, but I imagine you will need 600g of white chocolate, 100ml double cream and 100ml of the baileys! x

• Lizzie
    December 8, 2020 at 10:35 am

Made this yesterday and omg so good!! 10/10 would recommend, definite hit with my family 🙂

• SJ
    December 7, 2020 at 8:15 pm

Love this recipe! Tried it for the first time last week and will be making it again for Christmas day. Everyone loved it. Thank you Jane!

• Donna
    December 6, 2020 at 9:22 pm

This is an amazing recipe but mine also didn’t set. Followed the instructions to the letter (which is a first for me) that cream topping 😍😍. The fact it was more of a splodge did not detract from the taste. Any ideas what I could have done wrong? I used Bourneville dark chocolate and Cadbury’s milk chocolate.

December 6, 2020 at 10:56 pm

It’s the chocolate you have used – the cocoa content of the dark chocolate isn’t very dark at all! It’s actually more similar to milk chocolate (only about 36%, whereas you want to use dark that is at least 70% when baking) x

• Donna
      December 7, 2020 at 9:20 am

Update,

Left it overnight and although soft it is much more stable 👍

• Megan
    December 5, 2020 at 4:35 pm

This looks great! Can this recipe be made with just milk chocolate instead of adding dark chocolate?
    Thanks x

December 5, 2020 at 5:14 pm

Theres notes about using milk chocolate – it’s not a straight switch x

• Beth
    November 27, 2020 at 6:40 am

Hey! Could I make this in a cake tin? And just not make the sides as high as the cake tin?

November 27, 2020 at 11:23 am

Yeah so as long as the biscuit base is still on the sides to contain the filling it’s fine!

• Rochelle
    November 22, 2020 at 7:54 pm

What kind of chocolate did you use? I’m planning on making it for Thanksgiving, and wasn’t sure if you put baking chocolate in or just regular chocolate.

November 23, 2020 at 11:08 am

I use any chocolate, but generally it is baking chocolate because I bulk buy. Dark chocolate should have at least 70% cocoa content!

• Elizabeth
    November 22, 2020 at 11:24 am

Hi Jane, looking to make this for Christmas along with your pavlova! Is there anyway of making a smaller version of the tart – if so what size of tin would you recommend (ideally half the recipe!) thanks! Xx

November 22, 2020 at 3:42 pm

About a 7″ would probably be good for half! xx

• danny holmes
    November 22, 2020 at 10:38 am

Hello 🙂 I’m looking at making this but I only have 28cm / 11 inch flan tin, do you know how much I’d have to scale up the ingredients please

November 22, 2020 at 11:15 am

I’m not 100% certain, but I think you would need to use another half of the recipe! So 1.5x! x

• danny holmes
      November 22, 2020 at 1:23 pm

Thankyou so much, if it’s too much I’ll just have to make extra mini ones….. Winner 🙂 x

• Sara Kenny
    November 7, 2020 at 5:26 pm

I made this tart & the flavour is lovely, but it didn’t set! Any suggestions? Carefully go lower directions, but even 2 days later it is sloppy inside.

November 8, 2020 at 10:38 am

What chocolate did you use? x

• Holly
      November 29, 2020 at 5:39 pm

I have just made this, tastes delish but it didn’t set – where have I gone wrong?! Xx

November 30, 2020 at 10:52 am

What chocolate did you use?

• Lauren
    November 3, 2020 at 10:16 pm

Hi Jayne. I’m looking to make this for Xmas 2020 😍
    In the recipe you say …
    Pour the mixture over the Chocolate/Baileys and whisk/stir till smooth.
    I’m confused as it says heat the baileys and cream but then says pour over the chocolate/baileys but the baileys has already been heated?
    Forgive me if I’m being silly.
    L

November 5, 2020 at 9:39 am

Hey sorry it should just be pour over the chocolate x

• Ryan
    September 5, 2020 at 1:22 pm

This looks great – I was going to make this for my mum who loves Bailey’s but I couldn’t find the 23cm fluted tin anywhere – would a 25cm be okay or do I need to up the ingredients?

Your recipes never fail to impress when I bake for people – thank you!

September 5, 2020 at 7:57 pm

Hey! So it depends on the depth of the tin – it may make the base a bit too thin for the biscuit, or it might be okay. Maybe have some spare ingredients on standby just incase? x

• Asma
    August 15, 2020 at 1:51 pm

Can I make this cake without using alcohol. If so what can I substitute it with? Will it alter the amounts of other ingredients if I didn’t use it?

August 15, 2020 at 8:16 pm

Have a look at my salted caramel Easter Tart for that topping xx

• Amanda Hardy
    August 14, 2020 at 10:12 am

Hi Jayne hope you are well.. just made the baileys tart unfortunately when I did the cream topping it looked like very badly made scrabbled egg 🤭 so I’ve just topped it with pipped cream . Not tasted the tart yet but sooo looking forward to it. ❤

August 14, 2020 at 10:23 am

That just means it’s over whipped, sometimes it can be saved by stiring in some liquid cream! And I hope you love it! Jane*

• Hanna
    July 19, 2020 at 12:43 pm

This looks absolute wonderful! Where we live there is no double cream, whipping cream with 35% fat is the highest we can get. Would you advise to use gelatin in the mixture, and if so, how much? Will 1 tablespoon be okay? Looking forward to hear from you!

July 19, 2020 at 4:10 pm

This is similar to a ganache so it should still be okay, maybe 50g more chocolate but it shouldn’t need gelatine! x

• Hanna
      July 24, 2020 at 1:36 pm

Thanks Jane for letting me know about the extra chocolate. I made it today and it is just amazing! I did put 1 tsp gelatine in the cream on top and it worked well. Thanks for the wonderful recipe!

• Erica
    May 25, 2020 at 1:17 pm

Hi, I just made this for my Moms Birthday whose request was “chocolate and booze”! 🙂 The only changed I made were no whipped cream on top as I thought the tart itself was rich enough so instead topped with oranges; and used flavored orange truffle baileys in it instead of the original. I made it the night before so it had plenty of time to set. Fantastic recipe – thank you for sharing!

May 25, 2020 at 1:20 pm

Ahh yay! That sounds delicious.

• Jenny Wong
      June 17, 2020 at 8:49 pm

Could you make individual ones in a loose based mini sandwich tin without the biscuit crumb up the sides but just at the bottom? A bit like a mini cheesecake?

June 18, 2020 at 7:32 pm

Hiya – you can, but this does set differently and will be harder to get out of that kind of tin (as the filling isn’t incased!)

• Meg
    December 27, 2019 at 8:25 pm

Made this for Xmas day! Delicious. There are a few bits left can it be frozen? Thanks!

• Ryan Gianos
    December 22, 2019 at 9:13 pm

Incredible looking tart. Bailey’s lovers delight! Thanks so much for posting. When I get some time, I may attempt this one. Awesome recipe, thanks for posting and Happy Holidays. 🙂

• Kelly
    December 18, 2019 at 9:41 am

This looks amazing! Thank you x

• Colleen Reader
    December 18, 2019 at 8:05 am

Jane this looks amazing. I have some Baileys in my cupboard at home, so I think I will give this one a whirl 🙂

December 18, 2019 at 9:11 am

Ahh thank you! I hope you love it if you do try it!