Lemon and Poppyseed Bundt Cake!

Zingy Citrus Lemon Cake with Poppyseeds drizzled with a fresh Lemon Icing – Perfect for dessert on a summers evening!

IMG_0806_1

Lemon and Poppyseed is a delicious combination – Lemon cake in general is delicious and light, yet poppyseed gives it an extra added flavour. Following on from my delicious Lemon & Poppyseed Cupcakes I thought I should branch out and create a whole cake for it – and why not make it a bundt cake as they always look so good!

This recipe is super zingy and fresh and perfect for any citrus lovers – and the added aromatic flavour and crunch of the poppyseed’s makes it the perfect combination. With an added sharp yet sweet lemon icing too the top it creates the perfect spring, summer, autumn.. basically all year round dessert, and makes an amazing alternative to chocolate!

I decided to do a simple drizzle icing on top to create an extra sharp yet sweet flavour on it! My family (daily taste-testers) gave this recipe a massive thumbs up, so much so my mum took half of it to work with her to give to her work colleagues!

I have tried this cake with Lemon & Lime, and even Blood Orange and it is SERIOUSLY delicious – Simple swap out the same amount of lemon for your other citrus alternative! The cake mix is incredibly easy to make, and I know bundt cakes can be terrifying, but as long as you grease and flour your tin well enough then it should be fine!

I used my Masterclass 25cm Fluted Ring Pan!

Cake

Decoration
– 300g icing sugar
– Juice of 1 lemon
– Sprinkle of poppyseeds
– Lemon Zest

1) Preheat the oven to 180C/170C Fan – grease and flour a bundt tin for later

2) Combine your margarine/butter and sugar into a light fluffy mixture so it is creamed well together. Add your eggs, flour, cornflour, and baking powder and mix – gradually add the milk as you do this – it should become a smooth and silky cake mixture

3) Fold in the poppyseeds and lemon zest to the mixture

4) Pour the mixture into the bundt tin and bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes or until golden on top and a skewer poked into the deepest part comes out clean.

5) Remove in the oven and leave for 10 minutes then gently try and ease the cake out of the tin!

6) Once cooled, mix the icing sugar, lemon juice and water together to make an icing and pour the icing over the cake – finish by sprinkling the poppyseed’s over the top!

7) Enjoy with a good cuppa or coffee!

You can use all sorts of bundt tins but my favourite ones are Nordic Ware or Masterclass tins – They’re beautiful! If you don’t have a bundt tin then just bake it in a normal cake tin and decorate in the same way, but the recipe is design for a bundt tin!

Depending on the type of tin you use it can affect the baking time – With the Masterclass tin it took 30 minutes, with the Nordic Ware it took nearer 40 minutes – so keep an eye on it after 30 minutes! 🙂

P.s. If you’re not a fan of lemon, this might not be your favourite, but saying that… my boyfriend hates lemon and he loved it!

Find my other Cake & Dessert recipes on my Recipes Page!

Previous Post Next Post

You Might Also Like

• Reply skd May 25, 2015 at 6:53 am

Looks incredibly delicious😋

• Reply arlingwoman May 25, 2015 at 1:50 am

Jane, I made your Berry Bakewell cake (finally) and it was easy and scrumptious! I took you at your word and dumped all the ingredients into the food processor. The only change I made was to use cake flour and add a tablespoon of baking powder. It has the loveliest, dense but light texture and the tart berries balance the sweetness. Thanks!

• Reply Jane's Patisserie May 25, 2015 at 10:00 am

Ohh I am so glad you liked it! And dont worry, i often use normal flour with baking powder too! 🙂

• Reply Erica May 24, 2015 at 2:28 pm

Your cake looks delicious! I will definitely be trying this recipe!

• Reply Jane's Patisserie May 24, 2015 at 12:44 pm

Reblogged this on Jane's Patisserie and commented:

Such a delicious cake for the Bank Holiday Weekend! Perfect for any occasion, and so citrusy and zingy!

• Reply bunny and mimsey March 17, 2015 at 6:22 am

Hello Jane, a fellow Kiwi? I grew up in Christchuch! thanks for liking my post on Brandied Cherry Berry Friands, Have you tried making friands yet? They are so popular over here in Oz that every cafe has them. But they are often quite old and dry.

Do do make this recipe as it ‘s so unbelievably easy but the friands look and taste really, really good. Friends and family will be impressed.

I love my very old German bundt tin, alas it’s not nearly as pretty as yours, but I agree that any cake looks great when cooked in it.

Happy Baking Mims

• Reply Jane's Patisserie March 17, 2015 at 9:26 am

Hi! I’m not a kiwi no, I’m from the south coast of the UK 🙂 and yes your friands looked delicious! And thanks!

• Reply athousandtimestooshort March 2, 2015 at 11:30 am

I love the look of this! Have seen so many Bundt cakes recently, but this one makes me want to invest in a tin (just like yours, I hope – such a cool design) and get on with baking my first Bundt! I’ll definitely use your recipe when I do 🙂

• Reply Jane's Patisserie March 2, 2015 at 11:35 am

Awwh thank you so much!! I love bundt cakes but have only really started baking them again, such beautiful patterns from the tins!

• Reply charmbutterfly19 February 28, 2015 at 4:25 pm

I need this in my life with coffee right now! Please send some to California lol

• Reply Jane's Patisserie February 28, 2015 at 4:38 pm

Thank you! I shall send it asap, but it might not be edible when it gets there!! Haha

• Reply charmbutterfly19 February 28, 2015 at 4:47 pm

The thought counts! Hahaha I appreciate it! <3 Maybe we can trade for cookie brownies! I have some on my page!

• Reply Pamplemousse February 26, 2015 at 10:20 pm

What a gorgeous cake!

• Reply cynthiamvoss February 26, 2015 at 7:54 pm

Looks like a perfect recipe for spring! What a beautiful cake! Love the pan. I have the Nordic ware heritage pan and its cakes look so pretty 🙂

• Reply Jane's Patisserie February 26, 2015 at 8:03 pm

It really is!! And thank you! Ooh I really want the Heritage one too, I love their Pans, the detail and patterns are amazing!

• Reply Lunar February 26, 2015 at 7:13 pm

Have you ever tried making these in loaf pans? I have a recipe for blueberry lemon mini-loaves…the perfect size for sharing!

• Reply Jane's Patisserie February 26, 2015 at 7:23 pm

Yes I often make cakes in loaf pans, always good with a Sunday lunch 🙂

• Reply Shannan February 26, 2015 at 6:51 pm

Wow yummy x

• Reply vannillarock February 26, 2015 at 1:49 pm

Love and lemon and poppyseed! Looks wonderful.

• Reply Jane's Patisserie February 26, 2015 at 1:53 pm

Thank you so much! And it’s such a good combination isn’t it!

• Reply Stephanie Tania February 26, 2015 at 1:12 pm

Lemon and poppyseed are one of my favorite combinations. Definitely have to try this!

• Reply thegoodlifeinthecity February 26, 2015 at 12:43 pm

It looks fantastic….well done!!

• Reply daisyashcroft February 26, 2015 at 10:47 am