Oreo Drip Cake!

A 3-layer Chocolate Cake, with Oreo Buttercream, a Chocolate Drip, and Even More Oreos Make a Delectable & Showstopping Oreo Drip Cake!

One of my Dad’s work colleagues had their last day recently, and I wanted to bake something special as they have been one of my taste testers, and she’s so lovely… so I went for a Drip Cake. Admittedly I did make the cake and have written a blog post about it, but I can’t afford to not to post this when it was so damn delicious! I didn’t actually get to eat the cake, but I had a few spoonfuls of the buttercream whilst decorating as you know, they accidentally fell into my mouth, but the lucky lady and the rest of my Dad’s Colleagues said it was divine!

I’ve been wanting to do another Oreo recipe in a while, so doing a Drip Cake was ideal. I used the same Buttercream recipe from my Oreo Cupcakes which I posted ages ago, yet have always used.  I decided to use about 300g of butter for the buttercream, and then 650g of icing sugar. Adding in the entire packet of crushed Oreo’s made it the perfect amount to fill the cake, decorate the cake, and pipe on top of the cake! I used the same idea for the cake from my Salted Caramel Drip Cake, just using less Self-Raising Flour, and adding in some cocoa powder to make it chocolatey.

I tried a new method of doing the Drip on this cake, by using oil. I’ve seen people having a few problems making the ganache drip as ganache can be quite temperamental, so after reading up on the oil method I had to try it! You only use between 1-2tbsp of oil for this amount of chocolatey, and you can’t detect it once its added. It just makes the chocolate runnier, and easier to use, whilst keep its shine. You can just use melted chocolate, but often this can be harder to use as its thicker, and it well set very solid. If you wanted to use a ganache however you can, simply use 150g of Dark Chocolate and 150g of Double Cream! (Read about the ganache drip here.. Caramac Cake)

I adored making this cake. I found using the Oreo Buttercream easier to cover the sides for some reason (not entirely sure why!). And then making it all drippy and delicious was heavenly. I’m surprised I didn’t eat some of it myself, but I resisted to make sure it look better… But anyway, any questions then message me on Facebook, or comment below! Enjoy!

IMG_1908

This recipe makes a 3-layer cake – serves 12-15+!

Cake
– 400g Unsalted Butter, softened
– 400g Light Brown Sugar
– 400g Eggs (roughly 8 Medium Eggs)
– 325g Self-Raising Flour

– 175g Dark Chocolate
– 1-2tbsps Vegetable/Sunflower Oil
– Oreo Buttercream *above*
– Oreo’s
– Crushed Oreos

IMG_1910

1) For the cake – Heat the oven to 180C/160C Fan and line three 20cm/8inch cake tins with baking parchment – leave to the side.

2) In a stand mixer, beat together the butter and light brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add in the flour, cocoa powder, beaten eggs, baking powder and beat again briefly till combined – try not to over beat the mixture! If its really thick, mix in the whole milk to loosen. Divide the mixture between the three tins and smooth it over – bake for 25-30 minutes until a skewer comes out clean when poked, and when the cake springs back.

3) Once baked, leave the cake to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, and then remove and leave to cool fully on a wire rack. If the cake has domed slightly, leave the cake to cool upside down to flatten it slightly.

4) For the Decoration – In a stand mixer, beat the room temperature butter with an electric mixer until it is smooth and loose and then beat in the icing sugar 1/3 at a time until its fully combined. Keep beating the buttercream for a few minutes so it starts to get fluffier and lighter.

5) In a food processor, blitz the packet of Oreo’s to a fine crumb, and add into the buttercream. Beat the buttercream again till smooth, and use the Milk to loosen it to a smooth consistency.

6) Once the cakes are cooled, put the first layer on the serving plate spread some of the buttercream onto the top of the first layer, add the second cake on top, and then top again with some of buttercream and then add the final sponge layer. Only use about 2 tbsps of buttercream per layer so that you have enough to decorate with!

7) With the leftover buttercream, as you can see, I covered the sides (and top) too! Do a first layer of around the edge and top using a large metal scraper and refrigerate for 10 minutes. Repeat again with a slightly thicker layer of buttercream. I slather it on all over using an off -set spatula, and then run the metal scraper round until its smooth. If the Oreo’s were blitzed to a really fine crumb like you need, the buttercream can still be smooth around the edges even though there is biscuit in the mix!

8) Once finished, melt the dark chocolate in a heat proof bowl until melted. Add in 1tbsp of oil and beat till smooth, continue to add oil till you get to a drippy consistency. I used 1+1/2 tbsps total. Using disposable piping bags, pipe it round the edge of the cake, edging over slight bits to create the drip. You don’t need to use too much per drip as it’ll drop quite far down by itself! Fill in the top in with the rest of the chocolate so the top is also covered. Refrigerate the cake for about 15 minutes.

9) Using some left over buttercream, pipe little rosettes of buttercream onto the top and add a whole oreo – sprinkle on some crushed oreos and huzzah! You’re done! Enjoy!

IMG_1918

Tips And Ideas

You obviously don’t have to make straight edged buttercream if you don’t want to, but I just like the look of it! You can slather it on, and it’ll still taste damn delicious.

However, if you do want to make it like this, I seriously recommend using a metal scraper for the decoration of the buttercream, and the disposable piping bags.. I wouldn’t be anywhere without them!

All of the decorations are completely optional – but I love this style of cake! To make a smaller version of the cake, use two 8″cake tins and 300g Butter, 300g Sugar, 245g Flour, 55g Cocoa Powder, 1.5tsps baking powder, 6 medium eggs and 3 tbsps of Milk in the cake mixture rather than 400g (and it might take an extra 5-10 minutes to bake) and use 2/3 of the decoration recipes!

This cake will last in an airtight container for 3 days!

IMG_1934

Find my other Cake & Oreo Recipes on my Recipes Page!

Previous Post Next Post

You Might Also Like

• Reply Em July 17, 2017 at 4:27 am

Thanks for posting this great recipe Jane! i just made it for my Oreo-loving son’s 10th birthday and it actually looks quite impressive. I can’t wait to see his face when he gets home from school! Your instructions were great and very easy to follow. I did 3 layers of chocolate cake and filled the inside with chocolate ganache just to break up some of the buttercream. Thanks again xx

• Reply Suzie July 14, 2017 at 5:54 pm

Hey want to make this cake how long does it take to make

• Reply 9 Over-the-Top Cakes You Can Bake at Home | Make and Takes July 12, 2017 at 8:23 pm

[…] Oreo Drip Cake: Serve up a slice of this Oreo cake to all of those cookies ‘n cream lovers. The drip […]

• Reply Nikki July 5, 2017 at 3:49 pm

I just tried posting a comment and not sure if it went through. Curious about storing the cake, my niece and I are making it for her birthday on Saturday (however, the party isn’t till Tuesday). If we don’t put the buttercream swirls/oreo’s on top will the cake keep until Tuesday? I’m concerned about leaving things with milk/egg on the counter for 3 days.

• Reply Jane's Patisserie July 5, 2017 at 3:50 pm

Buttercream is fine at room temperature on cakes for up to 5-6 days usually (but I usually say 4 days max) as real butter doesn’t have to be kept in the fridge anyway, but especially once combined with sugar, its fine. Once a cake is baked, thats also fine to keep out. You could make it all on the Saturday if you wished, but I would recommend using a sugar syrup on the sponges to keep it moist for that long. I would leave the biscuits off the top of the cake as they will go soft in those 3 days. You will need to store it in a cake box/container as well.

• Reply Nikki July 5, 2017 at 3:45 pm

My niece wants to make this cake with me for her birthday and just curious about how to keep it as we’re making on Saturday and the party is on Tuesday. If we put the chocolate on top but leave the buttercream swirls and oreos until Tuesday will it keep ok on the counter? I’m just a bit concerned about leaving things with milk and egg on the counter for 3 days?
    Thanks!

• Reply Jane's Patisserie July 5, 2017 at 3:50 pm

• Reply Emily June 9, 2017 at 11:18 pm

I just made this, came out fab!! So grateful for the recipe! It’s getting collected tomorrow, do I leave in the fridge overnight? I don’t have a container big enough for it!

• Reply How to Make a Drip Cake + 50 Amazing Drizzle Cakes to Inspire You May 16, 2017 at 12:25 am

[…] This cake has whole Oreos on top of all the chocolate drips! […]

• Reply Sarah R May 4, 2017 at 8:20 pm

When icing the cake, do you use a cake turntable along with the wilton icing smoother? or can you just use the icing smoother without the turntable?

• Reply Jane's Patisserie May 4, 2017 at 9:42 pm

I do usually use a turntable as it’s easier, but sometimes I don’t 😊

• Reply Michelle Mota May 1, 2017 at 9:17 am

Hi Jane, this cake looks amazing. I’m planning to have a go at making it. I’m going to make and decorate it on Tuesday to eat on Wednesday and was just wondering, will the oreos stay nice and crunchy or will they go soft overnight? I will store it in a cake box not an airtight container. Thanks

• Reply Jane's Patisserie May 1, 2017 at 5:07 pm

The Oreos on top should stay crunchy for that amount of time, but eventually they will go a little soft. Leave them till last minute if you want to prevent it 😊 x

• Reply Barbara April 30, 2017 at 9:34 am

Wanted to ask how moist is the sponge? Would you moisten the layers with syrup or something or does it not need it?
    Barbara

• Reply Jane's Patisserie April 30, 2017 at 5:28 pm

If you wanted a more guaranteed moist cake it wouldn’t hurt it to use the syrup. I often use syrup when it’s hot as the cake can dry out quite quickly depending on how you store it for example. It’s hard to say as your opinion of a suitable cake might be different to mine if that makes sense?

• Reply Sarrah Ravi May 4, 2017 at 7:58 pm

What syrup would you use to make the sponge moist?

• Reply Jane's Patisserie May 4, 2017 at 9:42 pm

Probably 150ml water with 150g caster sugar dissolved together and cooled would be enough for the 3 layers.

• Reply Rachel April 10, 2017 at 4:57 pm

Hi, I am making this cake for my boyfriends birthday but I want to do a smaller version. You don’t mention how many eggs to use for the smaller version, I am assuming I won’t need 400g? Im looking forward to making it, just hope it looks as good as yours 🙂 .. Thanks xx

• Reply Nikki March 30, 2017 at 12:19 pm

Hey, I want to give this recipe a trial run I’m just gonna halve it to make one smaller cake will this work?! Also on going to my cupboard I’m out of light brown sugar…will caster be ok? I guess will just make it less rich?!

• Reply Jane's Patisserie March 30, 2017 at 5:43 pm

It would be a lot thinner, but would still work! And it won’t make it less rich, it’ll change the flavour and texture slightly. ☺️

• Reply Nikki March 30, 2017 at 10:34 pm

Thank you! I gave it a shot and looks and smells pretty good!! It’s for tomorrow so once we’ve all dug in I’ll let you know how it tasted! Got the light brown sugar this evening and have another cake to bake so gonna do it properly tomorrow for the 2nd birthday of the weekend! Thank you

• Reply Lucy March 21, 2017 at 6:45 am

Hi I’m in the UK. Is the flour plain or self raising please? Thanks it looks amazing!!

• Reply Yasmin March 20, 2017 at 9:59 pm

Hi Jane , this recipe looks amazing can’t wait to try it on Thursday for my son’s sixteenth birthday

• Reply Mary March 15, 2017 at 2:18 pm

Hi, made this cake yesterday, really good recipe and so easy to do. I let the dark chocolate cool slightly before dripping x

• Reply Maura macDonald February 18, 2017 at 1:23 pm

Hi Jane. Just made this cake for my daughters 15th birthday and I loved making it, your instructions and tips are brilliant and made this an enjoyable bake. My buttercream is way darker than yours though.. just curious why? Cake still looks amazing !!!

• Reply Jane's Patisserie February 18, 2017 at 7:56 pm

It might be that your Oreos were in smaller pieces than mine so coloured it more? But I’m glad you loved it!

• Reply Laurie Maroni February 10, 2017 at 12:22 am

Well I need to buy a kitchen scale I guess!! 🙂

• Reply Allison February 9, 2017 at 5:22 pm

Hi there! Want to make this recipes but wondering if you have a metric version for the ingredients? Thank you!

• Reply Jane's Patisserie February 10, 2017 at 6:31 pm

Hiya – sorry I only work in grams, but you can find conversion scales online! I would recommend investing in a set of digital kitchen scales though!

• Reply Daily Shorts – Is It Possible To Buy More Time? – 2truemushroom February 2, 2017 at 12:50 pm

[…] anyone wants the recipe for the cake, I use this to make the cake and frosting and improved with the […]

• Reply Chocolate Oreo Drip Cake – HeatherBletherBlog February 1, 2017 at 7:38 pm

[…] and how to make it as well as some useful tips to bear in mind along the way then please visit http://www.janespatisserie.com/2016/08/15/oreo-drip-cake/ You will not be […]

• Reply Jaz January 30, 2017 at 3:15 am

This recipe looks amazing and I can’t wait to try it out soon!! I was wondering what size cake board was used for this cake? Thanks x

• Reply Heather Taylor January 25, 2017 at 10:57 am

Hi Jane! Currently making this for my sisters 18th as it looks fab and she loves Oreos! Would you mind if I posted pictures of my finished item onto my own blog? I’ll link this page obviously as it’s your recipe I’m using, but I just don’t know how things work when it comes to using other people’s recipes and I don’t want to look as though I’m steeling it! Thanks x

• Reply Jane's Patisserie January 26, 2017 at 10:54 am

Hiya! Oh yes that would be fine – link back to my post for the recipe though ? xx

• Reply Hannah January 24, 2017 at 3:55 pm

I’m thinking about making this cake for a friends birthday however I struggling with making buttercream firm enough. Last time I made a drip cake the buttercream swirls on top began to melt and slide off a little.

I will also have to travel with the cake for an hour and a half so want it to keep looking pretty.

Any tips would be very helpful for keeping the buttercream firm and in place? Thanks x

• Reply Jane's Patisserie January 24, 2017 at 5:21 pm

Hiya! It might be that the ganache is what made the buttercream swirls move slightly if it wasn’t set enough before you piped them on top?
      Also, try not to loosen your buttercream too much. It needs to be loose enough to spread, but not so slack that it slips off the cake if that makes sense. However, if you use sugar syrup on the cake (about 150g caster sugar + 150ml water dissolved together and drizzled over the cold baked sponges) you can get away with putting the cake in the fridge for 2-3 hours before you travel with it so it’ll be lovely and firm that way! x

• Reply Ali January 16, 2017 at 1:13 am

I was doing a search for an oreo recipe frosting and yours looked great. I made it on the weekend (doubled the recipe and with lots left over that can be used for cupcakes) to cover a 10″ cake it was an absolute hit, so delicious! Love the recipe, thank you.

• Reply Selina January 9, 2017 at 6:21 pm

Hey 🙂 Do I have to seperate the cream from the oreos before I blitz the oreos?

• Reply Baby Cakes - Oreo Drip Cake October 11, 2016 at 12:41 pm

[…] stumbled across this recipe on Jane’s Patisserie blog and thought it looked awesome and the ingredients and instructions seemed really straight […]

• Reply Catherine October 7, 2016 at 2:20 pm

What quantities would you need for this cake to be a 9in x

• Reply Jane's Patisserie October 7, 2016 at 2:29 pm

Hi sorry I can’t reply to my comments quickly sometimes as I still work. Easier to double and then fill 3/4 full and bake that way, use leftover for cupcakes x

• Reply Catherine hodgson October 6, 2016 at 11:27 pm

Hi Jane.
    I love all your recipes! I’m making the Oreo cake for my nephews birthday but im covering it with fondant! I need to do a 9in round for I have to set a krispie volcano and dinosaurs on it what would be the ingredients for a 9in or would it be easier just to double your 8in recipe.

Thanks xx

• Reply Laura October 4, 2016 at 3:01 am

Hi Jane! I want to use the oreo buttercream to fill a rainbow layer cake with at least four or five cakes. I would like to know how to increase the ingredients so it’ll be enough for the whole cake. Thank you and greats from Buenos Aires, Argentina!

• Reply Jane's Patisserie October 4, 2016 at 8:44 am

You could maybe double the buttercream and just have some leftover so that you definitely have enough? Use the leftover for some cupcakes or something!

• Reply Jason September 29, 2016 at 9:14 pm

Just wanted to say what a brilliant recipe this is! I’ve never baked before but wanted to give this a try for a birthday. Your recipe was so easy to follow and I never felt overwhelmed with the instructions. I wish I could show you a picture. I look forward to trying another recipe soon.

• Reply Jane's Patisserie September 29, 2016 at 9:23 pm

Awh thats absolutely amazing! ❤️ I am so glad that you liked the recipe and it was a success! Thank you!

• Reply Jade August 15, 2016 at 9:30 pm

This cake looks so delicious, and the Oreo buttercream is so smooth! Your drips look great too. Not heard of the oil method before. I will have to have a look into it. 🙂

• Reply Jane's Patisserie August 15, 2016 at 10:02 pm

Thank you, Jade! I was feeling a little lazy with it so it wasn’t the smoothest it could have been but hey ho! And yes, I only discovered it recently, and it works so well!! 🙂

• Reply Karen Lambert August 15, 2016 at 6:26 pm

Hi Jane, this looks amazing, can’t wait to make it!?
    Do you use sandwich tins or deeper cake tins?
    Thanks! Karen x

• Reply Jane's Patisserie August 15, 2016 at 6:27 pm

All of my tins are deeper than a sandwich tin as I don’t like how shallow sandwich tins are really, not sure how deep though.. probably about 3 inches deep 🙂 x

• Reply Karen Lambert August 16, 2016 at 9:10 am

Thanks!?x

• Reply Jade August 15, 2016 at 11:23 am

Excellent, thank you so much! 🙂 x

• Reply Jade August 15, 2016 at 9:31 am

Hi Jane, this recipe looks amazing and I’m hoping to make it for a birthday next week so I was wondering if I could just double check a couple of things please. To make the smaller version with 300g of everything, would it be 225g of flour and still 75g of cocoa powder or would I need less cocoa powder? And then 1.5tsp of baking powder and 3tsp of milk? Sorry if the answer its obvious, I just really want to get it right 🙂 thank you! x

• Reply Jane's Patisserie August 15, 2016 at 9:37 am

Hiya! Oh thank yo so much! I would recommend using 245g Flour, and 55g of cocoa powder – and yes thats correct for the baking powder and milk! xx