*This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure for more details!*
Zingy citrus lemon cake with poppy seeds drizzled with a fresh lemon icing – perfect for dessert on a summers evening!
Lemon and poppyseed bundt cake
Look at the yumminess that is this lemon and poppyseed bundt cake! Lemon and poppyseed is a delicious combination – lemon cake in general is delicious and light, yet poppyseed gives it an extra added flavour.
Following on from my delicious lemon & poppyseed cupcakes I thought I should branch out and create a whole cake for it – and why not make it a bundt cake as they always look so good!
This recipe is super zingy and fresh and perfect for any citrus lovers – and the added aromatic flavour and crunch of the poppyseed’s makes it the perfect flavour for all year round.
The cake mix is incredibly easy to make, and I know bundt cakes can be terrifying, but as long as you grease and flour your tin well enough then it should be fine!
I decided to do a simple drizzle icing on top to create an extra sharp yet sweet flavour on it! My family (daily taste-testers) gave this recipe a massive thumbs up, so much so my mum took half of it to work with her to give to her work colleagues!
With that added sharp yet sweet lemon icing on the top it creates the perfect spring, summer, autumn.. basically all round crowd pleaser, and makes an amazing alternative to chocolate!
I love a bundt cake! They always look so pretty and there is something about a bundt cake where you can do whatever you want decoration wise and it still look amazing!
I have several bundt cake recipes on my blog now which include fruity, chocolatey and delicious flavour delights! With rocky road or marble cake flavour for chocolate lovers to lemon and blueberry for fruity enthusiasts with my personal favourite – carrot cake bundt cake. There is a recipe for everyone!
I have tried this cake with lemon & lime, and even blood orange and it is SERIOUSLY delicious – simple swap out the same amount of lemon for your other citrus alternative! You can always mix the different flavour within the icing too for a flavour punch.
Eat now or save for later?
This cake will last up to 3 days (if there is any left by then!). You can freeze your bundt cake, it will keep for up to 3 months and like all sponges, they freeze really well! Enjoy!
Lemon and Poppy Seed Bundt Cake!
- 350 g unsalted butter
- 350 g caster sugar
- 7 medium eggs
- 350 g self raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 30 g poppy seeds
- 300 g icing sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Sprinkle of poppy seeds
- Lemon zest
- Preheat the oven to 180ºc/160ºfan and grease and flour a bundt tin for later
- Beat the unsalted butter and caster sugar together until creamy
- Add the eggs, self raising flour, baking powder, lemon zest and poppyseeds and mix
- Pour the mixture into the bundt tin and bake in the oven for 50+ minutes or until golden on top and a skewer poked into the deepest part comes out clean
- Remove from the oven and leave for 10 minutes then gently try and ease the cake out of the tin!
- Once cooled, mix the icing sugar, lemon juice and water together to make an icing and pour the icing over the cake
- Finish by sprinkling the poppy seeds over the top
- You can use all sorts of bundt tins but my favourite ones are Nordic Ware or Masterclass tins – They’re beautiful!
- If you don’t have a bundt tin then just bake it in a normal cake tin and decorate in the same way, but the recipe is design for a bundt tin!
- I used my masterclass 25cm fluted ring pan for this recipe
Find my other recipes on my Recipes Page!
© Jane’s Patisserie. All images & content are copyright protected. Do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.