*This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure for more details!*
Chocolate sponge, chocolate buttercream, chocolate drizzle and sprinkles. AMAZING chocolate cupcakes!
This is the best chocolate cupcake recipe you will ever find. Ever. (Even if I do say so myself!)
Okay so maybe that is a slight reach, everyone has their own favourite recipes but honestly, this is my go-to chocolate cupcake recipe that I use when baking for absolutely any occasion, or just for a family gathering, or just myself – honestly they are utterly delicious.
The cupcakes are insanely light and fluffy, whilst also being moist. It means you can eat the whole cake and not feel guilty!
The buttercream isn’t made with real chocolate, it’s made with cocoa powder but I often find this easier and quicker and creates a lighter flavour!
When I was younger I would simply decorate a chocolate cupcake with melted chocolate or a simple chocolate ganache – but I find the ganache is better for an indulgent cake, whereas this buttercream recipe is simple yet yummy for any sort of cake, cupcakes, or celebration cake!
This recipe always has a HUGE thumbs up from people who try it, and I am not exaggerating this time! They are ideal for afternoon tea, a treat in the evening, a party, or just a boost on a monday morning!
I bought these utterly gorgeous little Iced Jems Baking Cups… and I am obsessed with them. They are amazing, you can put the cups onto a flat tray rather than in a muffin case, so if you do have a little mixture left over you can still fit them onto the same shelf in the oven!
When you go to eat the cupcake, the case itself pulls out and ends up being almost its own little plate! I can’t get over them. They’re amazing and so cute. Buy them HERE!
- 175 g unsalted butter
- 175 g caster sugar/light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 135 g self raising flour
- 40 g cocoa powder
- 1-3 tbsp whole milk
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- 150 g unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 300 g icing sugar
- 30-50 g cocoa powder
- 50 g white chocolate
- Heat your oven to 180ºC/160ºC fan and line a muffin tray with 12 cases.
- Beat the unsalted butter with the caster sugar/light brown sugar until fluffy.
- Add the eggs, self-raising flour and cocoa powder to the unsalted butter/sugar mix until well combined.
- If the mixture is too stiff you can add 1 tbsp whole milk at a time to get a smooth light consistency.
- Split the mixture evenly into your baking cups, then bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until a skewer poked into one of the cakes comes out clean and they are springy to touch.
- Leave to cool fully on a cooling rack!
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- Beat the unsalted butter with an electric mixer for a couple of minutes to loosen.
- Gradually beat in the icing sugar until well combined, then add the cocoa powder and beat for 5 minutes until a silky lovely buttercream texture is produced. If the mixture is a little stiff, add one tbsp boiling water at a time till you reach the consistency you want!
- Pipe your buttercream frosting onto your cupcakes however you wish!
- Once iced, melt the white chocolate (in a heat proof bowl in the microwave in short bursts or over a pan of simmering water) and drizzle over the top.
- Add perhaps some sprinkles to finish off!
- This recipe was one of the first I posted on this blog but I decided to repost it with a few tiny little additions!
- These will last for 3 days in an airtight container, or you can freeze them for up to 3 months!
- I use this Muffin Tin
- I use this cocoa powder
- I use this white chocolate
- I get my baking cups from here - Iced Jems
- I get my sprinkles from here - Iced Jems
- I use this to portion my mix into the baking cups - 5cm scoop
Find my other recipes on my Recipes Page!
© Jane’s Patisserie. All images & content are copyright protected. Do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.