*This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure for more details!*
Chocolate & Vanilla Marble Cupcakes with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting! Heavenly little treats for all the cake lovers out there!
Oh hellooooo Chocolate & Vanilla Marbled Cupcakes topped with Swirled and delicious Chocolate Frosting. Oh my days. I love a marble cake, but in cupcake form? I feel sliiiightly less guilty in having it compared to a chunk of an entire cake. Also, I just completely love cupcakes.
I went for Chocolate and Vanilla as they are staple cake flavours, but you can pretty much marble any cake flavours you like! I based these on my Chocolate Cupcakes and Easy Vanilla Cupcakes as they’re so easy and yum. I used a simple frosting recipe such as from my Chocolate Cupcakes recipe, but you could easily do half vanilla or colour half to the colour you like and then pipe away!
Honestly though, who doesn’t love the combination of the two different flavours? There is something about combining chocolate and vanilla that is just a marriage made in heaven.
They’re sweet, but not too sweet, and they just look awesome. You can swirl the mixture in many different ways… I usually spoon in little bits of each mixture till the mixtures are split evenly between the 12 cupcakes and then bake!
However, you can easily make it easier by putting in larger amounts of each mix, and then swirling with a cake skewer. Marble cupcakes have always been a hit amongst people because they are a marriage of flavours – and they’re just so easy to make! They look fancier with the multiple flavours, but they’re just as easy as normal ones!
If you want to do swirled icing, the best bet is to put the mixture into one piping bag as carefully as you can, one half of each, and then just swirl… it’s easier with a much larger piping bag, but it can be done! Alternatively, you can use two smaller piping bags of each, then add them into a larger bag and do it that way, but then you use three bags.
I hope you love these as much as I did! Enjoy!
For the Cupcakes
- 175 g Unsalted Butter/Stork
- 175 g Caster Sugar
- 3 Large Eggs
- 175 g Self Raising Flour
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 25 g Cocoa Powder
- 2-4 tbsp Whole Milk
- 150 g Unsalted Butter
- 300 g Icing Sugar
- 50 g Cocoa Powder
- 2-3 tbsp Boiling Water (only if needed)
- Preheat your oven to 180C/160CFan and Line a 12 Hole Muffin Tray with Large Cupcake Cases/Muffin Cases
- Cream together the Butter and Caster Sugar with an electric beater till smooth – add in the Eggs and Flour and beat again for about about 20-30 seconds on a Medium Speed till combined.
- Split the mixture between two bowls and add the vanilla to one half, and the cocoa powder to the other and beat each again till smooth. Once combined it might still be a little stiff, so loosen with the Whole Milk, about 2 tbsps each!
- Spoon small spoonfuls randomly into your Cases to create a marble effect until they’re about 2/3 full and Bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes or until cooked through! Leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Once the cakes are cool, decorate! Beat the butter for a couple of minutes until really smooth and light – add in the Icing Sugar one half at a time and beat in-between each addition. Add in the cocoa powder and beat together till smooth and fluffy (takes about 3-4 minutes).
- Once finished, pipe your buttercream onto the cupcakes using your favourite tip – I used a Large Star!
- Decorate how you fancy with some sprinkles, or a chocolate drizzle!
- I buy my Cupcake Cases from Iced Jems – HERE!
- You can easily make a two-tone frosting if you wished to make it even more marble, as I have written above in the blurb, but I went for all chocolate as I was craving chocolate frosting and it didn’t disappoint.
- You can bake these delicious cupcakes into a layer cake by doubling the cupcake ingredients and splitting between two deeper 8″ tins, and baking till springy to touch and baked through (see my other cakes for details on time!) – then double the filling as well, and slather all over!
- These delicious beings will last in a container for 3 days!
Find my other Cupcakes Recipes on my Recipes Page!
© Jane’s Patisserie. All images & content are copyright protected. Do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.