White Chocolate and Cranberry Scones!

Delicious Light and Fluffy White Chocolate & Cranberry Scones – perfect for Afternoon Tea!

IMG_0508_1

This delicious recipe is based very closely around my recipe for Classic Buttery Scones. I always believe that once you find a good recipe, why should you change it? (unless of course it is savoury, then something so sweet might not be so nice!!) I find the key to a good scone is using just the right amount of rising agent, and not over working the dough – if you overwork it, it’ll be tough and horrible!

It might seem like I have an obsession with White Chocolate, and don’t get me wrong, I do love it, but I love all chocolate! I just think that White Chocolate and Raspberry/Cranberry goes together SO well its rude not to experiment with that wonderful combination! I am the same with scones, I love all scones, but I thought the marriage of them and some chocolate and fruit would be the best thing on earth – and my family said they were!

These are perfect to serve for Afternoon Tea, but honestly I still eat them for breakfast, lunch and dessert at dinner! I serve mine with Clotted Cream and Strawberry Jam, but that is clearly down to you!

This recipe makes ten 5cm scones!

– 90g cold butter, cut into small cubes
– 1 tsp baking powder
– 1/4 tsp salt
– 350g self raising flour, sifted, plus extra for dusting
– 50g caster sugar
– 1 tsp lemon juice
– 175ml milk (I use semi-skimmed)
– 1 tsp vanilla essence
– 100g white chocolate chopped up/chips
– 100g dried cranberries
– 1 egg, beaten – to glaze

1) Heat the oven to 220C/200C Fan/430F and line 1-2 baking trays

2) Tip the flour, salt, baking powder and butter into a food processor and pulse until it resembles bread crumbs! Pour the mixture into a bowl and stir in the sugar. Add the lemon juice to the dry mixture

3) Heat the milk in the microwave or on the hob so its warm but not hot – microwave will take about 1 minute – Add the vanilla to the milk and mix

4) Make a well in the dry mixture and add the liquid – stir with a spatula as it will be very wet – it will form a relatively wet dough when it is all combined – Then fold in the chopped up chocolate and cried cranberries!

5) Dust the work surface with some flour and tip the dough onto it – fold the dough over a few times so it is smooth but do not over work it! Roll the dough out till it is about 4cm thick

6) Dip a 5cm round cutter into the spare flour and cut out the scones – you will probably get four out of the first go – Roll out the dough again and cut the rest out till the dough is all used up.

7) Carefully place the scones onto the baking trays and brush the tops with the beaten egg so its glazed and bake in the oven for 10 minutes – leave to cool slightly when baked

8) Serve with clotted cream and jam for the stereotypical delicious scone!

You could easily make this mix and use a smaller cutter so that the scones are more delicate which I often do – I then usually get 12 out of the mix. I often find these are delicious when still warm as it makes them lighter and fluffier!

Be careful not to mix the white chocolate in too early, or the heat of the milk that was poured in will melt it – which may not be a bad thing, but it might change how light the texture is, and I love the chocolatey chunks running through!

Enjoy!!

P.S. To settle the Jam/Cream and Cream/Jam debate, I sandwiched it together so you can flip it and have it how you like!

Find my other Scone recipes on my Recipes Page!

• Sarah
    June 9, 2020 at 7:33 pm

Hi do you put your tray in the oven to pre heat with these as you do your other scones?

Can’t wait to give these ones a go

June 10, 2020 at 9:11 am

For these, I didn’t, but you definitely can do!

• Alison Taylor
    June 2, 2020 at 8:05 am

Hi Jane , myself and my daughters have recently found your great blog and have tried some fabulous recipes . One of my daughters is gluten and dairy intolerant and i wonder if you have any special recipes or can we just switch out things .. i am still learning about all this and how it sometimes changes recipes . .many thanks xx

June 3, 2020 at 9:32 pm

Hiya! So I don’t have a scone recipe – but I have a great gluten & dairy free chocolate cake (which you can swap to vanilla)! Some recipes are easy to swap to both, but I have never tried scones like that! It’s worth a go though! x

• Alison Taylor
      June 6, 2020 at 2:14 pm

Thank you for that . I didnt just mean scones , i mean everything. Great you have some recipes posted . We have tried Red Velvet cookies GF/DF and although mixture was sticky they turned out well .Thanks and keep up the good work .

• Martha
    May 1, 2020 at 6:21 pm

How would I adapt this recipe for raspberry and white chocolate? Do you recommend fresh or frozen raspberries?

Thanks in advance xx

May 1, 2020 at 7:15 pm

Yes you can! And theoretically you can use either, but I personally use fresh!

• Lauz
    April 10, 2020 at 9:41 am

I love making these. The white chocolate and the cranberry, just lush!

• Karen McClean
    December 27, 2018 at 8:24 am

Hi, could you use fresh cranberries with this recipe? Thanks Karen

• lottie
    May 2, 2018 at 7:07 pm

i tried making these and they look fab, its an easy to follow recipe and i think your website is great .

• hopeandserendipity
    May 28, 2015 at 8:33 am

Have always wanted to try baking scones but never knew which of the million of scone recipes are good! Yours look like it will be the one I’ll try! 🙂

May 28, 2015 at 8:53 am

Ohh thank you so much! I love scones so baking them at home is even better 😀

• […] loved then, so: a full five stars from me, and I cannot wait to really have a go at Jane’s White Chocolate and Cranberry Scones recipe, and so many […]

• cookingwithteamj
    May 12, 2015 at 4:31 pm

I love scones, this is great! How do you manage to eat everything that you bake!?

May 12, 2015 at 5:01 pm

Thank you! I struggle myself, so i usually try and base it around birthdays and such, and I and my family take it all to work!!

• cookingwithteamj
      May 12, 2015 at 7:33 pm

Your friends, family, and coworkers must all love you! You’re like the sugar plum fairy that blesses everyone with sweets 🙂

I actually do the same…. I can be sure that if I bring my baked goods to work that they’ll be devoured instantly. A great way to get brownie points and not have food go to waste!

May 12, 2015 at 10:41 pm

Exactly! I despise food going to waste so if it’s just an experimentation I will give it away or take it to a charity bake sale! 🙂

• athousandtimestooshort
    May 11, 2015 at 4:16 am

Help! I have brownies in the oven as I’m reading this – now I feel I have to make these delicious-sounding scones, too! Heading to the shops in a minute to buy ingredients for spicy chicken pasties – I can’t be held responsible if a packet of white chocolate chunks falls into my basket at the same time…

May 11, 2015 at 9:53 am

Well I hope your hand accidentally grabs the bag of white chocolate! Haha no, I hope you do like them if you try them ☺️ x

• Spring Tomorrow
    May 10, 2015 at 4:51 am

Looks yum!

• Whisked Away
    May 10, 2015 at 2:41 am

I think I’ve pinned almost every single one of your recipes- ha! Seriously, these look ridiculously good.

May 10, 2015 at 5:27 pm

Awwwwh thank you! What’s your Pinterest? And thank you again!

• Whisked Away
      May 10, 2015 at 10:28 pm

It’s https://www.pinterest.com/jamie1young1/, I’ve just pinning directly from your site, but it would be easier to just follow you- ha! I’m going to go follow you right now 🙂

May 11, 2015 at 9:49 am

Followed back! Haha thank you though, sometimes I forget to pin my own stuff so it’s handy!!

• Whisked Away
      May 11, 2015 at 10:15 pm

Looking forward to being blogging and pinterest buddies 🙂

May 11, 2015 at 10:29 pm

Definitely! ?

• More Than A Dash Of Salt
    May 9, 2015 at 4:30 pm

Why didn’t you post this a few days ago? It would have been PERFECT for Mothers Day! Haha oh well, i’m still happy with what i’ve already made i’ll have to make this for a different occasion :).

May 9, 2015 at 4:34 pm

Haha sorry, Mother’s Day is in March in the UK soo I had no idea! Haha and oh good!

• More Than A Dash Of Salt
      May 9, 2015 at 4:35 pm

It’s tomorrow (well technically it is today if you are pedantic about the whole am thing) here. I never understood why half the world celebrates Mother’s Day at different times to each other!

May 9, 2015 at 4:53 pm

Ohhhh I see! Neither do I haha, when I posted a recipe in March for Mother’s Day I got a lot of confused comments ?

• Jo Blogs
    May 9, 2015 at 3:56 pm

Oh would you look at that shot of the scone filled with jam and clotted cream. Perfection! It looks magnificent Jane 😀

May 9, 2015 at 4:34 pm

I just love jam and clotted cream haha and thank youuuu!!

• Jo Blogs
      May 9, 2015 at 4:35 pm

I’ve noticed lol 😉

• Claire Huston
    May 9, 2015 at 2:50 pm

Lovely, as always! We’re off to the Cotswolds on hols soon and this has made me add afternoon tea to our list of “must do” activities. 🙂

May 9, 2015 at 2:51 pm

I honestly adore afternoon tea SO much, and in the Cotswolds it’ll be utterly splendid! 🙂 and thank you!

• Gingerbread Jenn
    May 9, 2015 at 2:23 pm

Scones are by far the best thing about afternoon tea. These look beautiful!

• Jess
    May 9, 2015 at 12:10 pm

Mmmm, yum. It’s breakfast time here and I could REALLY go for some of these Jane- they’re BEAUTIFUL, especially those golden brown tops.

May 9, 2015 at 12:15 pm

Thanks, Jess! They’re perfect for breakfast haha! Bake some ?

• This Cake is Desi
    May 9, 2015 at 11:35 am

Every single recipe you upload looks so good. Im glad I found your blog 🙂

• WhenISayFriend
    May 9, 2015 at 10:17 am

I can’t wait finally to try one of your absolutely amazing recipes, and I think it will be THIS one. Possibly even today!
    If that’s all right with you I’ll post my results on my blog and link to yours 🙂
    I really love lots of your work, and you’ll certainly hear from me again! Keep up the brilliance! 😀

May 9, 2015 at 10:22 am

Ohh thank you SO much!! 😀 That means the world to me! And yes definitely post away and tag me 🙂 I hope you like them! x

• WhenISayFriend