Fruit Scones!

Delicious, Light, and Buttery Fruit Scones that are perfect for Afternoon Tea – Serve with Jam & Clotted Cream for a Classic Treat!

I love Afternoon Tea, and I LOVE scones. I have always been slightly obsessed with them, especially when I go down to Cornwall on holiday as they just seem to be that much better. My Classic Buttery Scones have always been a popular recipe to go to, especially on weekends such as Father’s Day and Mother’s day, and I have wanted to post another delicious recipe in a while. I did also post my White Chocolate & Cranberry Scones which proved to be popular as they were ‘different’. I have wanted to post my alternative to my Classic Buttery Scones for a while as I have made them countless times, but they’re always gone before the photos could be taken!

With this recipe, a couple of little things changed. I obviously added in the Sultanas to make them Fruit Scones! I increased the milk just slightly, and the same with the butter, and it makes the perfect difference because of the addition of the Fruit. The risk of adding dried fruit is that it can dry out, but the extra little touch of butter & milk has prevented that. Admittedly, my scones never look perfect, but why should they? It proves they’re homemade!

I always always always serve my scones with Clotted Cream. I then either add in fresh strawberries for example, or Jam, but Clotted Cream is a MUST. I use Rodda’s Clotted Cream because it’s just perfection, and suits a fresh scone ideally. I tend to lean towards Strawberry Jam, but any work! Whether you put Jam then Cream, or Cream then Jam is the million dollar question… but hey! I do one of each to keep both sides of the battle happy!

This recipe makes 7-8, 5cm scones!

– 100g Unsalted Cold Butter, cut into small cubes
– 1 tsp Baking Powder
– 1/4 tsp Salt
– 350g Self Raising Flour, sifted, plus extra for dusting
– 50g Caster Sugar
– 1 tsp Lemon Juice
– 190ml Whole Milk
– 1 tsp Vanilla Bean Extract
– 125g Sultanas
– 1 Egg, beaten – to glaze

1) Heat the oven to 220C/200C Fan/430F and place a lined baking tray in the oven to preheat.

2) Tip the flour, salt, baking powder and butter into a food processor and pulse until it resembles bread crumbs – Pour the mixture into a bowl and stir in the sugar. Alternatively, rub the butter into the flour mixture till breadcrumbs are formed. Add the lemon juice to the dry mixture!

3) Heat the Milk in the microwave or on the hob so its warm but not hot – microwave will take about 30 seconds – you don’t want it too hot! Add the vanilla to the milk and mix.

4) Make a well in the dry mixture and add the liquid – stir with a spatula as it will be very wet at first – but it’ll soon dry out as the liquid is incorporated. Fold/knead through the sultanas till even. Dust the work surface with some flour and tip the dough onto it – fold the dough over a few times so it is smooth but do not over work it!

5) Roll the dough out till it is about 4cm thick. Dip a 5cm round cutter into the spare flour and cut out the scones – you will probably get four out of the first go! Repeat this again till you finish up all the dough!

6) Take the tray out of the oven carefully and place the scones onto it – brush the tops with the beaten egg so its glazed and bake in the oven for 10 minutes – leave to cool slightly when baked, enjoy!

You could easily make this mix and use a smaller cutter so that the scones are more delicate which I often do – I then usually get 12 out of the mix then!

I often find these are delicious when still warm as it makes them lighter and fluffier – however they do last in an airtight container for 2-3 days! You can reheat them in the microwave or oven!

Find my other Afternoon Tea Recipes on my Recipes Page!

• Michelle
    October 5, 2020 at 11:19 am

I have tried to make fruit scones for years they always spread out not up ( more rock cakes ) these were perfect – thanks for sharing.

• Lydia
    September 3, 2020 at 8:35 am

Hi Jane, I want to make these for afternoon tea for next weekend but won’t have time to bake next week. Am I able to make these this weekend and freeze them?

• Angela Phillips
    August 9, 2020 at 4:23 pm

Perfect recipe that gives me perfect scones each time!! I use this recipe at least once a week since finding it. Highly recommend. X

• Emily Burgess
    July 12, 2020 at 1:56 pm

Made these today with dried figs. Delicious!

• Jenn
    July 11, 2020 at 4:21 pm

Hello! Going to try this recipe to add my many others of yours that I have made and loved! But wondered if would semi skimmed milk work? Would I need to change anything else? I don’t have any whole milk x

July 11, 2020 at 7:46 pm

Ideally in baking you’d use whole milk for the best results, but you can use semi skimmed..

• Gemma
    June 18, 2020 at 11:18 am

If I can’t get hold of essence, paste or pod can I leave this out?

• Anne
    May 29, 2020 at 6:34 pm

Love your recipes jane…started to love baking in my sixties! Thanks for your lovely ideas..Anne

• Kath
    May 23, 2020 at 11:20 am

In your Chocolate Fudge Cupcakes recipe (which is amazing!) you suggest using any leftover buttermilk to make scones – would buttermilk work with this scone recipe if I swapped it for the 190ml of whole milk or would I need to use a different quantity? x

May 23, 2020 at 12:07 pm

Hiya! Yes you can swap out the milk – but then also leave out the lemon! X

• Iram
    May 17, 2020 at 10:04 pm

Jane! This recipe is 👌🏼😍 I just made these and they came out perfect! Everyone loved them! Thank you ur recipes are amazing x

• Angela
    May 13, 2020 at 8:04 pm

Hi. Will vanilla essence work the same in this recipe. Xx

May 14, 2020 at 9:07 am

Personally I don’t recommend using essence as it’s not actually vanilla – only extract or bean paste, or pod! x

• Louise Barbour
    May 9, 2020 at 1:57 pm

I made these scones as part of Afternoon Tea and they went down a treat. First attempt at scones and I will definitely be using this recipe again. Thanks Jane. xx

• Patty
    May 8, 2020 at 7:15 pm

I’m not sure what happened to my earlier comment about doing mls instead of grams but I thought I’d report that despite my silly mistake they turned out great and were delicious!! Your recipe really must be foolproof!! 😍😍😍😍

• Patty
    May 8, 2020 at 1:05 pm

I’ve just made your scones Jane but it was only after I mixed everything together that I noticed I had the scales set to ml and not grams!! Hopefully they will still taste lovely!! 🤣🤣😂

May 8, 2020 at 2:08 pm

They may not be perfect, but they should be good, hopefully!!

• Colette
    May 5, 2020 at 10:14 pm

Hi, I have made lots of your recipes and absolutely love them! I made your scones the other day but when putting the lemon juice into the milk, it curdled. Do you know where I am going wrong!? Thanks

May 5, 2020 at 10:27 pm

In this recipe you add the vanilla to the milk, and the lemon is already in the mix? Is this the correct recipe? Either way lemon and milk together creates buttermilk, which is good for scones.

• GEMMA
    April 3, 2020 at 2:02 pm

I’ve tried these twice now and I dont know what I am doing wrong. They are really doughy in the middle on the outside they look amazing but on the inside just stodgy 🙁 please help xx

• Sylvia
    June 7, 2019 at 7:39 am

Why is there no egg in the mix its just to glaze will they still work

June 7, 2019 at 8:00 am

Scones don’t need an egg, other than a glaze… the recipe is correct as it is.

• Angela Zsidi-Prior
    March 25, 2019 at 7:38 pm

I’ve made these three times in as many weeks! I’m not usually into scones but these are lovely. My husband will eat 2 or 3 a day and had one this morning for breakfast.

• Dee
    February 6, 2019 at 8:58 pm

I’ve tried many fruit scone recipes and this has to be my favourite so far. Flavour and fluffy texture are just perfect. I used buttermilk on my second attempt and they were lighter in texture and tasted wonderful.

• Priya
    June 4, 2018 at 9:35 pm

I made these scones this weekend, with my 3 year old daughter, and they are perfect. Thanks Jane! I’ve tried out quite a few recipes and been disappointed. This one is going down in my book as a keeper. My daughter and husband loved them!!

• Priya
    June 2, 2018 at 4:56 pm

Thank you Jane! This scone recipe is just perfect. Tried the scones this afternoon with my daughter and they came out crumbly and delicious. I’ve tried so many scone recipes that I was starting to lose hope. Will be keeping this one as my forever recipe! Yum!

• Gill
    March 6, 2017 at 9:18 pm

Love your blog so enjoyable to read and makes me want to bake bake bake! x

• Kat Bardwell
    September 14, 2016 at 9:57 pm

These look amazing! Do you think it would be OK to swap the sultanas out for glacé cherries?! X

September 14, 2016 at 10:10 pm

Yeah I don’t see why not! 🙂 x

• Antonia
    July 8, 2016 at 3:53 pm

I never tried scones but always wanted to. They look amazing and I bet they taste even better. I’m definitely going to try them out. xx

Antonia || Sweet Passions

July 10, 2016 at 7:52 am

Thank you so much! You really should try them, they’re so worth it! xx