*This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure for more details!*
Chocolate & orange zest bundt cake with chocolate orange drizzle, and a dash more of Terry’s chocolate orange!
Chocolate + orange = heaven!
I have put up a few bundt cake recipes in my time now, including lemon and poppyseed or my rocky road bundt cake recipe, but something about chocolate and orange together is a marriage made in heaven.
My recipe for my chocolate orange cookies is amazingly popular, and is one of my favourite recipes ever! After the success of the cookies, I thought I would develop a cake version that would be perfect for afternoon tea, or just a cake for the week!
This cake has a delicious light and moist sponge even with the flavouring – using cocoa powder gives you the flavour of the chocolate without making the cake too dense, and the orange gives it a nice citrusy zing! People often struggle with bundt cakes as they come apart in the tin, or they don’t come out at all.
There are various ways you can prepare them such as cake release spray, or melted butter and flour, or just butter and flour. I prefer the ‘low-fat oil spray’ you can get for cooking these days, and then a tablespoon of flour on top and coated.
I find that this recipe is easy to follow, and is totally worth it in the end! I spent ages researching into chocolate bundt cake recipes, even looking at my own, but I wanted to try something else – this one is perfect for the orange flavouring! I hope you all like it too!
You can use a simpler cake recipe by using 350g of butter, and caster sugar, with 7 medium eggs, and 300g self raising flour, and 50g cocoa powder, and bake for 55 minutes at the same temperature!
Tin and bake
For this Cake, I used the Nordic Ware Cathedral cake tin, as I just thought the shape of it would also suit the segment shapes. You can use simpler cake tins or other Nordic Ware Bundt Tins, but this size is the correct size. In Nordic Ware terms, its a 9 cup batter tin. I just think using Nordic Ware tins makes things so much more special!
I bake my cake for approximately 45 minutes, making sure there are no bubbling sounds coming out of it, and testing it with a skewer to make sure its baked fully. Leave the cake in the tin for 10 minutes and then turn it out onto a wire rack to cool fully! Sometimes cakes can get a little stuck, but leave it with the cake bottom side down, and wait to see if gravity helps! Good luck!
Terry's Chocolate Orange Bundt Cake!
- 350 g unsalted butter
- 350 g light brown sugar
- 7 medium eggs
- 300 g self raising flour
- 65 g cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Zest of 1 large orange
- 2-3 tbsp orange juice
- 15 g cocoa powder
- 150 g icing sugar
- Orange zest
- Chocolate orange segments
- Preheat your oven to 180C/160C Fan and grease and flour a bundt/ring tin well – Mine was the 9 Cup Nordic Ware vaulted dome pan!!
- Cream together the unsalted butter and light brown sugar until light and fluffy
- Mix the eggs, cocoa powder, and flour together with the sugar and butter mixture for 1 minute until combined, make sure to scrape the sides of the bowl half-way through to catch everything - I used my Kitchenaid stand mixer.
- With the mixer on a low speed, add the orange zest and baking powder and mix until combined.
- Pour into the tin, smooth over and bake in the oven for 45-50 minutes until risen and a skewer comes out clean!
- Leave to rest for 10 minutes then turn onto a wire rack to cool fully.
- Once the cake is cooled, mix together the icing sugar, cocoa powder and orange juice until you reach a smooth consistency
- Pour over the bundt cake and smooth/spread over. Add on a few chocolate orange segments and sprinkles over some orange zest. Serve, and eat it all!
- I sometimes put in chopped up chunks of chocolate orange into the cake as well, but I wouldn’t put more than 1 as it might moisten the cake too much and make it hard to get out of the tin!
- This will last in an airtight container for 4-5 days at room temperature!
- I used the 9 Cup Nordic Ware vaulted dome pan!
- Original recipe
- Cake: 100g cocoa powder, 200ml boiling water, 5 medium eggs, 1tbsp vanilla extract, 275g unsalted butter, 340g self raising flour, 2tsp baking powder, 500g caster sugar, Zest of 1 orange. Decoration: Zest of 1 orange, 1 Terrys chocolate orange (melted), Chocolate orange segments, Sprinkles
- Mix the cocoa powder and water together to create a paste and leave to the side. Mix the eggs, vanilla and butter together with the cocoa powder mixture until combined. Whilst mixing, add the self raising flour, sugar, orange zest and baking powder and mix until combined. Pour into the tin and bake in the oven for 45-50 minutes. Leave too cool fully. Once cooled, melted the chocolate orange and pour it over the cake. Add a few chocolate orange segments for decoration and some sprinkles and zest and ENJOY!
Find my other recipes on my Recipes Page!
© Jane’s Patisserie. All images & content are copyright protected. Do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.