*This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure for more details!*
A classic bake that everyone at home will love – a citrus drizzle cake.
Lemon and lime drizzle cake
I decided today, that we would go back to basics. I LOVE classic cakes, something about their simplicity yet how amazing they taste really gets me hyped up to eat the whole cake myself. You can play around with the flavours you use, but lemon & lime is my favourite combination!
I think a loaf cake is the most popular cake for anyone wanting something low maintenance but still super yummy! It is so simple to make and bake, and requires very little decoration, if any at all. This is my original citrus drizzle cake and I still love it to this day.
Simple and classic
I have always loved cakes like these, they make the perfect Sunday afternoon tea accompaniment to a cuppa, or as a quick treat for your family if you’re craving something delicious. I also realised that lemon drizzle cake is a staple in many families cake baking range but this recipe has honestly never failed me.
I love that classic cakes are still popular to this day, sometimes you just cant beat a drizzle loaf or a slice of Victoria sponge. If you wanted a similar cupcakes version of this recipe, you can follow my lemon drizzle cupcake recipe. They are little cakes of heaven!
Drizzle and topping
This loaf cake has a delicious drizzle which is so simple yet makes such a difference to the sponge! Its a simple mix of caster sugar with the juice of 2 limes and 2 lemons and is drizzled over the sponge when it is out the oven but still hot.
When I updated this recipe I decided to add a citrus juice icing sugar drizzle topping – and I am so glad I did!! The drizzle makes the sponge nice and moist but the topping adds an extra citrus kick without overpowering the loaf.
For a bit of a boozy twist, try my recipe for my gin and tonic drizzle cake. One of my favourite drinks in cake form – HEAVEN! If you wanted to strip it back to the most basic but delicious and refreshing flavour, my lemon drizzle loaf cake is a must try – which you can also make vegan by using this recipe!
Nearly two months ago I posted my recipe for my lemon celebration cake which is basically a lemon drizzle cake/Victoria sponge hybrid and it went down an absolute storm, with people now baking it regularly for their families and friends – YAY!
Lemon & Lime Drizzle Cake
- 225 g unsalted butter softened
- 225 g caster sugar
- 225 g self raising flour
- 4 medium eggs
- Zest of 2 lemons
- Zest of 2 limes
- Juice of 1 - 2 lemons
- Juice of 1 - 2 limes
- 100 g caster sugar
- 100 g icing sugar
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp lime juice
- Grease and flour/line a 2lb loaf tin (see notes below)
- Preheat your oven to180ºC/160ºC fan
- Cream together your unsalted butter and caster sugar until soft and smooth
- Add in the self raising flour, eggs, lemon and lime zests and beat again as briefly as possible until smooth
- Pour your ingredients into your cake tin and bake in the oven for 55-65 minutes or until a skewer poked into the middle comes out clean. If you think its browning quickly, check it at 45 minutes as some ovens bake cakes quicker than others!
- Towards the end of baking - in a bowl, mix together your caster sugar with the juice of both your limes and lemons until combined
- Remove the cake from the oven but leave it in the tin
- Drizzle the sugar and juice mixture over the cake, whilst still in the tin. Let the cake cool fully.
- Once the cake is cooled, remove from the tin.
- Mix together the lemon and lime juice with the icing sugar until you reach your desired consistency and pour over the top of the cake however you like - I drizzled mine over.
- Sprinkle some lime and lemon zest over your loaf cake and ENJOY!
- 2lb loaf tins typically measure to hold about 900ml water so you know which one I mean - mine measure 11cmx21.5cm at the top of the tin! They all vary widely!
- As I said at the beginning, I typically prefer the lemon & lime combination as its my favourite - but you can use orange, blood orange, just lemon etc!
- As this cake is so moist it will never really go dry, but this will last up to 3 days in an airtight container!
- Original recipe (updated December 2022)
- Loaf cake: 175g unsalted butter, 175g caster sugar, 175g self raising flour, 3 eggs, zest of 2 lemons and zest of 2 limes.
- Topping: Juice of 1-2 limes, juice of 1-2 lemons, 100g caster sugar
- Just follow the same method as above, and bake for 35-40 minutes!
- This recipe does not have a icing sugar topping.
Find my other Recipes on my Recipes Page!
© Jane’s Patisserie. All images & content are copyright protected. Do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.