A Classic Bake that everyone at home will love – A Citrus Drizzle Cake.

IMG_3975_1

I decided today, that we would go back to basics. I LOVE Classic Cakes, something about their simplicity yet how amazing they taste really gets me hyped up to eat the whole cake myself. You can play around with the flavours you use, but Lemon & Lime is my favourite combination!

Nearly two months ago I posted my recipe for my Lemon Celebration Cake which is basically a Lemon Drizzle Cake/Victoria Sponge Hybrid and it went down an absolute storm with people now baking it regularly for their families and friends – YAY! However, I wanted to put my original Citrus Drizzle Cake up so that if thats all you guys want, you don’t have to work out from my other recipe what to do!

I have always loved cakes like these, they make the perfect Sunday Afternoon Tea accompaniment to a Cuppa, or as a quick treat for your family if you’re craving something delicious. I also realise that Lemon Drizzle Cake is a staple in many families cake baking range but this recipe has honestly never failed me.

Let me know how you get on if you try!

This cake Serves 8-10!

Cake
– 175g Unsalted Butter, Softened
– 175g Caster Sugar
– 175g Self-Raising Flour
– 3 Large Eggs
– Zest of 2 Lemons
– Zest of 2 Limes

Topping
– Juice of 1-2 Lemon
– Juice of 2 Limes
– 100g Caster Sugar

1) Grease and flour/Line a 2lb Loaf Tin** and preheat your oven to 180C/160CFan

2) Cream together your butter and sugar until soft and smooth, add in the Flour, Eggs, and Fruit Zests and beat again as briefly as possible until smooth!

3) Pour your ingredients into your cake tin and bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes or until a skewer poked into the middle comes out clean – If you think its browning quickly, check it at 30 minutes as some ovens bake cakes quicker then others!

4) Remove the cake from the oven, but leave it in the tin. Poke the top if the cake with the cake skewer carefully so that you don’t create a gaping hole, but so that the drizzle has somewhere to go – Mix together the Fruit Juices with the Caster Sugar and pour over the top of the cake. Leave the cake to cool completely in the tin!

5) Remove from the tin and ENJOY!!

** 2lb loaf tins typically measure to hold about 900ml water so you know which one I mean – mine measure 11cmx21.5cm at the top of the tin! They all vary widely!

As I said at the beginning, I typically prefer the Lemon & Lime combination as its my favourite – but you can use Orange, Blood Orange, Just Lemon etc!

As this cake is so moist it will never really go dry, but this will last up to 3 days in an airtight container!

Find my other Cake & Lemon Recipes on my Recipes Page!

1. Katy on August 23, 2021 at 12:11 pm

I regularly make two loaves of Lemon Lime Drizzle cake for my ITU colleagues.
    It tastes amazing and always disappears very quickly.
    I really like how well it keeps – so I can make it the day before and it’s still yummy and moist when I get it to work
    Thank you!

2. Sarah Bernstein on April 21, 2021 at 12:16 pm

Hi Jane, I would really love to make this but as a celebration cake, I know you have the lemon celebration cake but I wanted both lemon and lime, then I wanted to coat it in lemon butter cream, would this recipe work if I decide between 8 inch tins?

3. Han on April 19, 2021 at 8:04 am

Hello, could I make this into a round cake? Using two 8 inch tins and just doubling the recipe? If so how long would I need to bake ?

• Jane's Patisserie on April 19, 2021 at 5:14 pm

Hey! Yes you can double it and I would bake at 150 fan for 45-50 mins xx

4. Becky on March 27, 2021 at 3:50 pm

This was delicious! I made it this morning and have just enjoyed a (huge!) slice with a cup of tea. It felt like there was lots of syrup to pour on, but I used it all and I’m so glad I did. One of the best lemon drizzles i’ve ever had! So citrusy and juicy. Plus, zesting the limes and lemons made my kitchen smell fab and made me think of summer. Thank you, Jane! <3

• Jane's Patisserie on April 1, 2021 at 11:07 am

Hey! Yayyyy I am so glad you enjoyed it, thank you for such a lovely message x

5. Charlotte on March 5, 2021 at 9:57 am

Is it possible to make cupcakes with this mixture? If so, what bake time would you recommend?

Thanks!

• Jane's Patisserie on March 6, 2021 at 12:23 pm

I would look at my lemon drizzle cupcakes recipe, but make that lemon lime x

6. Zoe on February 15, 2021 at 7:31 pm

Hi Jane!
    I’ve made this so many times now and it’s always eaten up straight away!!
    I’m wondering if I could turn this into a tray bake cake? And how to do it??

Thanks so much!

• Jane's Patisserie on February 15, 2021 at 9:08 pm

It’s a recipe I am planning on posting soon enough, but for now it may be best to follow a similar traybake recipe such as my gin and tonic traybake but switching that to lemon lime drizzle!

7. Shona on June 23, 2020 at 12:24 pm

My new absolute favourite – love citrus flavours. Much prefer this sticky glaze to using icing sugar.
    I find with loaf cakes that the top of cake is ready way before the bottom is finished so I tip cake on each side in turn for a final 10 minutes each side to cook the underneath through but not to damage or overcook the top.

8. Laura on May 23, 2020 at 7:36 pm

Hi Jane, I can’t figure out how to reply to your comment on my last question hahah but thanks for the quick reply!
    I also wondered if you have any tips for making sure it doesn’t sink in the middle when it’s baked? x

• Jane's Patisserie on May 24, 2020 at 1:35 pm

Hey! Haha that’s okay! So if it sinks, it’s just not finished baking and needed a little longer! x

9. Laura on May 23, 2020 at 4:12 pm

Hi Jane!
    Is it ok to use Stork instead of unsalted butter for the cake?
    Can’t wait to make this! X

• Jane's Patisserie on May 23, 2020 at 4:52 pm

Hey!! Yes definitely for cake sponges, stork is great! x

10. Eilish on May 21, 2020 at 9:16 pm

Best lemon loaf I’ve ever eaten. Definitely worth a go. Stays so moist and I’m sure if I would have lasted longer than the 2 days we could keep our hands of it, then it would have still been amazing. Thanks for sharing.

11. Helen on May 6, 2020 at 9:16 pm

I’ve been looking for a substitute to caster sugar as I can’t seem to get it anywhere in Canada! A few websites have said to use brown sugar instead – would you recommend that?
    Thanks!

• Jane's Patisserie on May 7, 2020 at 1:18 pm

You can do, but that will make the cake more caramel flavoured!

• Yvonne Aldridge on May 30, 2020 at 4:17 pm

I am a Brit living in Canada. White sugar is much finer than white sugar in England. I think this is why they have both white and caster. The sugar here in Canada is more like Caster Sugar. So just go ahead and use regular white sugar here in Canada.

• Fiona on October 9, 2020 at 1:26 pm

Hello.
      I used to live in Canada and just put granulated sugar in the food processor to make caster sugar.

12. Ashleigh on May 4, 2020 at 5:06 pm

Great recipe!

13. Lucy on May 3, 2020 at 10:29 pm

Hey Jane! Making this for my Mum for her birthday tomorrow – it’s her favourite and she always LOVES your recipes!
    would flora buttery be able to make up for a lack of butter ???🥵

• Jane's Patisserie on May 4, 2020 at 8:19 am

That can be used for a sponge, yes! Wouldn’t recommend it for a buttercream though (which this one doesn’t have anyway!)

14. Bev Ainslie on August 31, 2019 at 9:37 pm

Hi, I made the lemon and lime drizzle cake today and put a layer of lemon icing on top. It was delicious, light and moist. I will deffinetly be making it again. Thank you.

• Michelle Johnstone on April 10, 2020 at 10:24 pm

How did you make lemon icing ?

15. Alannah on August 21, 2019 at 4:44 pm

Do I need to use lime? Or can I just make it a lemon drizzle cake?

• Jane's Patisserie on August 21, 2019 at 9:49 pm

You can just use lemon, or just use lime.

16. Laura on May 26, 2019 at 3:54 pm

Hi,

Do you use and electric mixer when making this cake?

• Jane's Patisserie on May 26, 2019 at 9:28 pm

I tend to always make cakes using my stand mixer, or a handheld mixer for when I film tutorials!

17. Katrina on April 25, 2019 at 2:59 pm

Made this cake today using lemons and limes from the garden! Not done any baking for years – but this was so easy and light and tasty and it went down a treat with friends!! Might have got me back to the kitchen – thank you!!!

18. Mary Price on April 9, 2019 at 3:01 pm

Made this cake today with my Granddaughter, it turned out beautiful.😋

19. Vanessa on November 14, 2017 at 10:18 pm

Hi Jane, love all your recipes and literally only make from your website, I tell everyone about your page, so thank you for all you share. I’m making this for a friends tea party along with your millionaire shortbread and viccy sponge! However, they’d like just lemon (I’ve noted the previous comments) but they’d also like a lemon water icing on top if possible. I’d be interested if you think this would change the cake too much and any suggestions you have as I don’t want to ruin your perfect recipe. Thanks

• Jane's Patisserie on November 15, 2017 at 9:20 pm

Nooo that would be fine! Just use lemons, and I use a water icing on my coconut loaf cake recipe which you could use for a guide.

• Vanessa on November 15, 2017 at 9:28 pm

Amazing! Thank you cake guru Jane 😇

20. Emma on July 26, 2017 at 10:11 am

Hey Jayne
    I am working my way threw your recipes and they have all turned out amazing ☺ I wanted to make this as just a lemon drizzle cake….would I need to just remove the lime or would I need to adjust anything else? Thank you xx

• Jane's Patisserie on July 27, 2017 at 11:56 am

Just add a little more Lemon! Jane x

21. Fen on April 4, 2017 at 4:09 pm

Hi Jane, This looks great! I am going to bake it this weekend but only lemon not lime. Would I need to add more lemon juice to the drizzle or just do two lemons? I don’t want it to be too wet! Thank you!

• Jane's Patisserie on April 4, 2017 at 4:28 pm

The juice of two lemons is probably still sufficient for the drizzle!

• Fen on April 4, 2017 at 4:31 pm

Thank you! Will give it a go 🙂

22. kristenskitchencreations on October 29, 2015 at 6:47 pm

Yum sounds amazing! I love using citrus fruits on baking and after reading your post, my mouth is watering! I can’t wait to give this a try, and I’d appreciate it if you could check out my blog 🙂

• Jane's Patisserie on October 30, 2015 at 7:17 pm

Aww thank you so much!! And I will!

23. Sam on October 13, 2015 at 9:36 pm

I made this the other day and I have to say, it was out of this world!
    So moist so citrusy so yummy ?

24. WestCoastAppetite on September 22, 2015 at 9:37 pm

Reblogged this on WestCoastAppetite and commented:
    Jane’s Patisserie is one of my favourite blogs, and as I am not usually a baker, it just makes me drool every time she posts something. Check out this recipe from her blog – it is simple yet delicious! #janespatisserie

25. abbiosbiston on September 22, 2015 at 1:57 pm

Yum! I love citrus desserts and cakes and this is a classic!

26. chef mimi on September 21, 2015 at 8:25 pm

It looks lovely. I need to make this and invite some ladies over!

27. Frances ? on September 21, 2015 at 3:56 pm

This is my kind of tea time treat! Love the lemon/lime mix…must try it with my muffins next time?

• Jane's Patisserie on September 21, 2015 at 4:59 pm

Thank you!! And yes you should, its delicious!!

28. Haylee on September 21, 2015 at 11:33 am

Oh this looks gorgeous! I had it for the first time this year (never been a huge lemon fan previously) when one was left as a gift in our Cyprus apartment. Definitely have to give this a go 🙂

• Jane's Patisserie on September 21, 2015 at 3:33 pm

Ohh thanks Haylee! 😀 and oh that is such an adorable little gift! You definitely should, let me know how you get on! 🙂

29. anitacuisine on September 21, 2015 at 11:13 am

this looks sooo good !

30. Sinead on September 21, 2015 at 10:13 am

Hi there, hoping you might be able to help me. I make a lemon drizzle and everytime I make it, it sinks ever so slightly. I don’t open the oven, it’s fully preheated but everytime it happens and I can’t figure it out. Any advise is welcome and I’m so making this cake this week!!!

• Jane's Patisserie on September 21, 2015 at 10:14 am

It might be because its over mixed? Sometimes its purely because of the moisture and it can happen after you add the drizzle to it, because of the weight of the liquid – but I find cakes can sink in the oven if its been over mixed, or the mixture might have split slightly before baked? 🙂 and thank you!