*This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure for more details!*
Easy, Sweet and Sour Lemon Drizzle Cupcakes!
Sometimes, going quite simple and classic is the way to success. In this case, it’s all things lemon because it is DELICIOUS. To be fair as well, Lemon Drizzle Cupcakes has been one of the most highly requested bakes on my blog in a long time, and I was in a lemony mood.
I realise that a recipe like this is really so simple, but my god it’s a good bake. I haven’t made anything lemon flavoured in a while, so I felt like it was time to rectify that atrocity and go slightly lemon overboard. Like, these are so lemony, that would probably won’t forget the flavour for a while!
Anyway, for these I decided to take influence from a couple of recipes on my website – my Lemon & Lime Drizzle Cake, and my Lemon & Poppyseed Cupcakes. It basically morphs the two recipes together into a wonderful, light and refreshing bake. You can add poppyseeds into this bake if you want as well, but I just wanted something lemon through and through.
The thing that I love about anything ‘Drizzle’ themed, is that they always taste fresh and delicious. I hate to use the word, but they are the most ‘moist’ of bakes as well, so it’s rare that they ever dry out. I always think the sugar in a drizzle is important, and it also forms a lovely sugary crust on the cake which is delicious to bite into.
I always want to be able to post a recipe such as this, and have you guys be able to taste and smell them fresh out of the oven because it is honestly incredible, so I just try my best with the photos instead. If you look at my older posts, such as my Lemon & Lime Drizzle Cake, and my Lemon & Poppyseed Cupcakes, you will see how ropey my photography skills used to be. Slightly embarrassing to be honest.
Either way, I have had so much more practice with my decorating skills, my piping skills and everything in general so hopefully the images sell these cupcakes well enough! I like to think they do, but baking them yourselves is definitely the best option. They taste so light and just delightful. Perfect for Spring, or Summer or any time!
I wasn’t sure how well this recipe would float considering it has no chocolate in, but every now and again it is appreciated. Not every person in the world likes chocolate (personally, I love it), but now and again you find someone who likes it fruity and sweet. You can add chocolate chips into the cupcakes themselves if you wish to make them even sweeter though!
Either way, these beauties are the best for someone who loves Lemon, who loves Cupcakes, and wants a bake that is a general crowd pleaser for everyone. The Buttercream can be easily coloured to suit a theme, or you can use Lemon Extract in place of the lemon juice/zest if you wanted to make it easier! Enjoy! x
Lemon Drizzle Cupcakes!
- 175 g Unsalted Butter/Stork
- 175 g Caster Sugar
- 175 g Self Raising Flour
- 3 Large Eggs
- Zest of 1 Lemons
- Juice of 2 Lemons
- 75 g Caster Sugar
- 150 g Unsalted Butter (not stork - room temperature)
- 300 g Icing Sugar
- Juice of 1/2 Lemon
- Preheat your oven to 180C/160C Fan, and get 12 Cupcake/Muffin/Baking Cups ready! I use 12 Iced Jems baking Cups on a flat tray!
- Beat together your Butter and Sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in the Flour, Eggs and Lemon Zest and beat till smooth!
- Split evenly between the 12 Cupcake cases, and bake in the oven for 18-22 minutes, or until baked through.
- Once out of the oven, whisk together the Lemon Juice and Caster sugar for the drizzle, and spoon evenly over the 12 Cupcakes.
- Leave the Cupcakes to cool fully.
- Once the cupcakes are cool - beat your room temperature butter for a couple of minutes so its smooth and supple - don't use a spread like stork.
- Add in the Icing Sugar 1/2 at a time, and beat fully each time.
- Once the Icing Sugar is in, beat for 3-5 minutes so its nice and fluffy, and add in the lemon and beat again.
- Pipe your Buttercream onto your Cupcakes with your favourite piping tip - I used a Medium 2D Closed Star!
- Sprinkle with your favourite sprinkles!
- These beauties are inspired by my Lemon & Lime Drizzle Cake and my Lemon & Poppyseed Cupcakes!
- These will last for 3-4 days at room temperature in a container!
- I used the beautiful Baking Cups from Iced Jems!
- And I used the gorgeous Medium 2D Closed Star Piping Tip from Iced Jems!
- I also used these cute Lemon Meringue Sprinkles from Iced Jems!
- The Lemon Drizzle is optional, it's just delicious!
Find my other Recipes on my Recipes Page!
© Jane’s Patisserie. All images & content are copyright protected. Do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.