Deliciously moist and YUMMY Gluten Free Vanilla Cupcakes with a secret ingredient to hide the floury gluten-free taste!
As I am still relatively new to being Gluten-Free I am still severely struggling with what the hell I am supposed to eat when I go out for breakfast, lunch, dinner.. or even just for cake or at a coffee shop. Some restaurants are far better than they used to be, with offering a GF menu or GF alternatives, which is great! However.. some places (my favourite local cafes for example) rarely offer something GF that I actually like. Even with chain coffee shops like Costa and Starbucks only really offer one or two GF cakes and they’re average… (No offence guys!)
I find that there may be one, or even two things that are a GF cake option, but that is rare. And even if they do exist, it has something in it that I don’t like such as Snickers.. or it just looks unappealing in comparison to the regular delicious cakes! This lead me to wanting to do more GF baking at home, so I don’t crave the cakes that I can’t have anymore!
I recently posted my Easy Vanilla Cupcakes recipe, which is of course not GF.. so I wanted to do the same cupcakes basically, but obviously ones that I can eat! I have found that cheaper GF flours are very floury in texture once its been baked, but I find that Doves Farm flour isn’t as bad as others! However… its still not 100% the same, because of the lack of gluten… Therefore I looked into some other recipes and they add some weird ingredients that I either haven’t heard of, or don’t regularly buy.. so I went for what I already had. Custard Powder.
I found that the Custard Powder lightened the texture of these yummy gluten free cupcakes, without making it taste like custard. I use Birds custard powder as it makes delicious custard, and its always in my families kitchen cupboard, but any old one will do! Once these cupcakes are baked, and you cover it in the buttercream.. it tastes as similar to normal cupcakes as I can get, and thats good enough for me! Enjoy!
This recipe makes 12 cupcakes!
– 150g Unsalted Butter, Softened
– 150g Caster Sugar
– 3 Medium Free Range Eggs (150g), beaten
– 150g Gluten-Free Self Raising Flour
– 50g Custard Powder
– 1/2tsp Vanilla Bean Extract
– 2tbsp Whole Milk
– 150g Unsalted Butter, Room Temperature
– 350g Icing Sugar
– 2-4tbsp Whole Milk/Double Cream
– 1/2tsp Vanilla Extract
– SO MANY SPRINKLES
1) Preheat your oven to 170C/160CFan and Line a 12 Hole Muffin Tray with Large Cupcake Cases/Muffin Cases – leave to one side for now.
2) Cream together the Butter and Caster Sugar with an electric beater till smooth – add in the Beaten Eggs, Gluten-Free Flour, Custard Powder & Vanilla and beat again for about about 20-30 seconds on a Medium Speed – it really doesn’t take too long, you don’t want to overheat the mixture! (Add any milk if the mixture is too stiff!)
3) Spoon into your Cases and Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes (I baked mine for 17 minutes) or until cooked through! Leave to cool on a wire rack.
4) To Make the Frosting – beat the softened Butter until smooth – this can take a couple of minutes. Add in the Icing Sugar 1/3 at a time, making sure the sugar is fully incorporated until moving on! I use my KitchenAid for Frostings as the machine can make it so much lighter and fluffier!
6) Once all of the Sugar is in the Frosting mix, keep on beating the Frosting but add the Vanilla, and then the Milk/Cream 1 tbsp at a time till you reach your desired consistency! I usually use about 3 spoonfuls!
7) Decorate your cupcakes how you like (I use lots and lots of sprinkles!) – and ENJOY!
Tips and Ideas
As I said earlier – I use Doves Farm Gluten-Free flours for my day-to-day GF baking as its more readily available then other more expensive (and better ones). You can also buy cheaper ones, but I’d recommend this brand if you can find it, as its the best supermarket one that I have found!
If you are GF you will already know this – but if you are baking for anyone else who is GF, then check the ingredients on everything you use!
These Cupcakes will last in an airtight container for 2-3 days!
Find my other Cupcake & Gluten-Free Recipes on my Recipes Page!
© Jane’s Patisserie. All images & content are copyright protected. Do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.