New York Cheesecake!

Creamy & Sweet Baked New York Cheesecake with Homemade Coulis & Fresh Fruit – Definite Dinner Time Showstopper!

When I decided to try this recipe I was honestly completely stuck on where to start. I have eaten many New York style cheesecakes, or even baked cheesecakes but when I have tried to bake them when I was younger, they have just gone so awfully wrong. My Baked Chocolate Rocky Road Cheesecake is always a success for me, but as that uses chocolate in the mix it is completely different to this. I spent ages and ages looking at recipes online and they are ALL so different I was confused.

I decided to try out the BBC Good Food Recipe and I will be honest here and say it was awful. I found the way that the method is written out is confusing, and the ingredients seemed far too much.. trying to bake it proved this as well! I mean come on, 900g of cream cheese in one cheesecake?! No. Therefore, I decided to go my own way with it, make it more realistic in my eyes and reduce the cheesecake down to an acceptable size. Oddly enough, using essentially 2/3 of the ingredients with some other alterations, it still took the same amount of time in the oven!

You might know that I have an adoration for No-Bake Cheesecakes, and these are still my favourite.. but my family had requested one of these beauties for SOOO long, and many of my readers had asked for some baked cheesecakes so I thought I would oblige. Yes, this sort of cheesecake is prone to having a crack when it comes out of the oven or when it is cooling and this can be down to over mixing or even just how it happens – but this is why I always cover my baked cheesecakes in stuff! It doesn’t matter if it cracks in my eyes so long as it tastes delicious. (Which it does!)

I made my own Coulis for this recipe as it really is so easy to make and I love the taste of it, but you can obviously use shop bought Coulis if you prefer. I made my Cheesecake into a bit of a showstopper by using the Coulis along with some fresh fruit as I love the combination of the flavours with the Vanilla/Lemonny flavoured Cheesecake but you don’t have to if you don’t want too! I seriously and surprised by how much I love this recipe, even if it does take a while because of baking it, cooling it, and then leaving in the fridge over night… but if you have some time, this recipe is totally worth it. Enjoy!

This recipe serves 10-12!

Biscuit Base

Decoration
– Fruit Coulis *above*
– Strawberries
– Raspberries
– Blackberries
– Icing Sugar

1) To make the Cheesecake – Preheat your oven to 220C/200C Fan and find your 8″/20cm Deep Springform Tin.

2) Blitz your biscuits in a food processor until a fine crumb, pour in the melted butter and blitz again till combined. Press down firmly and refrigerate for now.

3) In a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, mix the cream cheese for a couple of minutes till loose (on a slow speed) and then gradually add in the sugar and flour still on a slow speed. I weigh my sugar and flour into the same bowl and then spoon a bit in making sure each spoonful is incorporated fully before adding another!

4) Add in the Vanilla Extract, Lemon Zest and Lemon Juice. Gradually pour in the eggs whilst still whisking slowly with the same idea above with the sugar (I.e. add in a bit and wait until it is incorporated fully before adding more.)

5) Fold through the soured cream and pour into the tin carefully – bake in the oven for 10 minutes at 220C/200C Fan and then reduce the oven temperature to 110C/90C Fan and bake for a further 25-30 minutes. Leave the cheesecake to cool in the oven with the door slightly ajar for 2 hours.

6) Once cooled, wrap the cheesecake (still in the tin) in foil and refrigerate overnight. Once chilled overnight, use a knife to run around the edges of the tin and carefully remove from the tin.

7) To make the Coulis – Chop the the strawberries into quarters and remove the tops, add the strawberries and raspberries in to a pan with the sugar and heat on a medium heat – mash the fruit with a fork and heat and stir until the sugar has dissolved and the fruit has become saucy. Pass the mixture through a sieve into a bowl and bin the mushy bits that are left – refrigerate until needed.

8) Decorate your cheesecake with some fresh fruit, drizzles of the Coulis and a dusting of Icing Sugar – enjoy!

I always recommend using a 8″/20cm Deep Springform Tin in my cheesecake recipes as it fits the mixture perfectly!

I really do recommend leaving this recipe wrapped in foil overnight in the fridge as it will produce the texture that you want and leave a really moussey and delicious cheesecake. You can leave the cheesecake to cool in the oven with the door closed if you want a slightly drier texture but I prefer it open!

I really do recommend whisking this on a SLOW setting and being patient when you whisk it – if you don’t feel confident in this, its better to use a hand whisk then push it too far. Over whisking the ingredients can cause the mixture to split!

This Cheesecake will last covered in the fridge for 3 days!

Find my other Cheesecake Recipes on my Recipes Page!

• Gemma
    September 24, 2020 at 9:21 pm

Would this recipe work in 9inch tin? Should I bake it in a water bath? Do you have any tutorial videos of the best way to get your cheesecake of the cake tin base and on to a cake board? Thanks

September 25, 2020 at 5:32 pm

I would say it would be a bit thin in a 9″ but otherwise it could work – and you can certainly use a water bath if you want! And I just use a small knife and a cake lifter x

• Tina
    August 4, 2020 at 8:19 am

Hi Jane.
    Is it 3 egg whites plus a yolk or 3 eggs inclu the yolk?

Thanks x

August 4, 2020 at 2:14 pm

It’s three entire eggs, and an extra yolk!

• Archana
    July 18, 2020 at 9:25 pm

So I made this cheesecake today as I wanted a New York style cheesecake. Oh my – Jane does it again! Such a beautiful moussey and light cheesecake! Took it to a friend’s house and they loved it too! I topped it with a homemade berry compote and fresh berries. It was definitely a showstopper! Recipe was very easy to follow. I would suggest following it exactly (especially the first time).

• Emily
    July 11, 2020 at 2:15 pm

Came out so nice will definitely make again!!

• Daniel Broad
    July 5, 2020 at 4:03 pm

Hi there did mine for the 10/30 minutes but just noticed after 30 mins rest that it is still wobbly in the middle will that firm over time or can I put it back in?

July 5, 2020 at 5:40 pm

That’s fine – you need to leave it to cool and set it in the fridge as advised and it’ll be fine!

• Daniel Broad
      July 5, 2020 at 8:00 pm

Thanks it’s in the fridge cant wait for tomorrow when it’s ready smells divine …. do you think you’d be able to swap the digestives for Oreos and put a handful of chocolate chips in the mixture?

July 5, 2020 at 8:05 pm

The oreos can be used, but you’ll want to reduce the butter quite a bit to maybe 90-100g – and yes to the chocolate chips, but they may sink slightly!

• Kim gray
    July 2, 2020 at 8:42 pm

Tried for first time today, absolutely amazing love it. So creamy light and fluffy. Thank you for the recipe. Xx

• Jade Staples
    July 1, 2020 at 5:43 pm

Hey Jane
    I’ve done your new York cheesecake today I was just wondering my cousin wants just a vanilla one with a ganache on the top do I just not add the lemon to make it vanilla? X

July 1, 2020 at 7:37 pm

New York is basically ‘plain’ so you can certainly add in vanilla x

• Nicola
    June 1, 2020 at 9:44 pm

Hi jane what can i use instead of golden caster sugar.

• Laura
    April 18, 2020 at 9:23 pm

Cheesecakes normally aren’t my go to when choosing bakes. But i can honestly say this recipe is amazing, so creamy and delicious. Can’t recommend if enough, definitely be making it again. People seemed to enjoy it!

April 19, 2020 at 10:40 am

Ahh that’s amazing!!

• Lesleigh Midgley
      May 16, 2020 at 12:00 pm

Would it be possible to turn this into a caramel cheesecake? Would it affect the recipe to swirl in a tin, or some of a tin, of carnation caramel into the cheesecake mix or top the mix with caramel? And if so, should the lemon juice be left out?

Also, do you recommend baking this recipe in a water bath? Thanks x

May 16, 2020 at 3:05 pm

Hey! So if using the caramel, I would recommend the water bath – I would swirl some in yes! The lemon juice can be kept in though! x

• […] I also did what I do with many recipes…make them my own. The blog site that helped me was https://www.janespatisserie.com/2016/05/30/new-york-cheesecake/. Go check out her […]

• Georgina Kelly
    March 30, 2020 at 6:33 pm

Hi there Jane
    (Big fan here) I’ve baked this before but currently at my parents and they only have a 6” springform pan – would you know how to convert the ingredient amount down for this size? Thanks 🙂

• Mand
    November 3, 2019 at 4:11 pm

Made this today and I have to say it was amazing, everyone loved it and requested it again. Follow the recipe exactly you can’t go wrong, it did have a slight crack across the top but I made a berry compote and it covered so no issue. Thanks for the recipe Jane

• Mandy
    November 3, 2019 at 4:09 pm

• Chanelle
    April 19, 2019 at 11:23 pm

I tried to make this but sadly my cake split. Looking back I did not use the extra egg yolk and overwhisked the mixture as used an electric whisk.😣

• Victoria Woodgate
    September 27, 2018 at 9:53 pm

My first baked cheesecake! Such a simple recipe and method to follow. I must admit, we have split in the oven a little but hopefully it will still taste amazing. It’s currently in the fridge, covered in tinfoil. Watch this space…

September 28, 2018 at 9:47 am

Ahh splits are fine! It’ll still taste wonderful!

• Jessie
    July 10, 2018 at 9:43 pm

Hi, I’m hoping to make this on a larger scale as a two tiered cheese cake.. but how could I adapt this recipe to create a larger (preferably 12inch) cake for the bottom tier? X

July 11, 2018 at 7:51 am

Hiya! I’ve never made a baked cheesecake that big, so I can’t guarantee it’ll work.. but you’ll have to use about 2.5x the recipe amount for a 12″ tin x

• shirley
    June 10, 2018 at 4:39 am

hello.. your cheesecake looks delish! Im making this now and while this is baking I saw butter sippin out of my pan and dripping. I dont know what to do, will it affect the cheesecake? any help?

June 10, 2018 at 10:37 am

Noo that should be fine don’t worry! Sometimes it’ll natural leak out of the bottom during baking!

• shirley
      June 11, 2018 at 9:46 am

yes it really doesn’t affect the taste of the cheesecake! it’s so soft and creamy! no cracks at all. thank you for this recipe, will make it again soon! 😍😍

June 11, 2018 at 5:12 pm

Ahh yay! Amazing!!

• Layla Incles
    May 12, 2018 at 6:46 pm

My cheesecake has cracked in the middle. I didn’t think I overwhisked it but I assume this is what I’ve done wrong? Will it still taste ok? x

May 12, 2018 at 9:04 pm

No thats a common occurrence, usually down to how quickly it cools, or if it was over baked slightly. It’ll be absolutely fine! X

• Layla Incles
      May 12, 2018 at 9:14 pm

Ok thank you Jane. I’m leaving it in foil in the fridge overnight and I’ve read of a way to seal the cracks as it is a pretty big one so will try that tomorrow. If it doesn’t work I’ll just pour over the coulis and hope for the best 🤞🏼 Also done your Oreo rocky road. I love you recipes! x

• Deborah
    January 16, 2018 at 9:10 pm

I absolutely adore your recipes, especially your no-bake cheesecakes! With this one could you replace the Philadelphia with mascarpone?

January 20, 2018 at 8:08 pm

I’ve never personally tried it, but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work!

• Georgeann Bailey
    December 11, 2017 at 8:24 pm

Husband made this at the weekend as a trial run for making one for christmas…have to say it turned out perfect…delicious!

• Della Churchman
    April 30, 2017 at 7:55 pm

Hi Jane. Do you line your tin with anything? I always struggle getting my cheesecakes off the base of the tin. Thanks.

May 1, 2017 at 5:06 pm

Hiya! No I don’t personally like the base as I can manage to get mine off quite easily, but you can line them if you do struggle ?. X

• Kien
    October 24, 2016 at 7:55 pm

Hey, I really want to make this cheesecake but sadly I don’t got a 20cm springform tin.
    Would you maybe know how to adjust the recipe(or just oven-time) for a 26cm one? Or don’t I have to change anything? Would love to hear from you
    x

October 24, 2016 at 8:42 pm

I wouldn’t have a clue I’m afraid – the volume difference of a 20cm tin to a 26cm tin is very considerably different so I won’t know how long it’ll take to bake, how thin it would be or if it would work.. sorry!

• Kien
      October 24, 2016 at 11:04 pm

Thanks for the reply! I”ll try to find a 20cm springform tin, how deep does it have to be?

Plus, I also wanted to make your biscoff 3layer cake, for which you used 3 regular 20cm tins. Do these tins have to be regular or can I just buy 3 springform ones?

October 24, 2016 at 11:06 pm

Mine is 3 inches deep I think? If you can find one that’s 3.5/4inches deep then get that. And yes you can buy 3 springform tins. I only specify springform for cheesecakes as it makes it easier, you can use normal or springform for my other recipes 🙂

• Just Jo
    May 30, 2016 at 7:20 pm

Yay, a baked one! I really don’t like ones which are just chilled in the fridge but I loooooove a baked cheesecake. If you bake it in a waterbath, it won’t split! And the texture is something else pretty darn special. This looks really beautiful Jane, the photos are stunners 😀

June 2, 2016 at 8:24 pm

Oooh thank you so much! I was asked for a baked one so many times I thought I’d oblige, and I love it! So yummy! ❤️

• Nicki
    May 30, 2016 at 10:07 am

This looks really good. I’ve always wanted to make a baked cheesecake but I haven’t done it yet…your tips above are really helpful so I will have to give it a go! Do you warm your cream cheese slightly before you beat it? The last time I made an unbaked cheesecake beating the cream cheese was a bit of a mission.

May 30, 2016 at 10:48 am

No I did mine straight out of the fridge – you shouldn’t warm it really. As you’re beating the cream cheese with a stand mixer it’s no trouble at all x

• Fiona
    May 30, 2016 at 9:12 am

I’ve already bookmarked this. It looks heavenly.

• Trupti