Malteser Brownies!

Fudgey, Chocolatey, Gooey Malt Chocolate Brownies with Malteser Spread, Maltesers and Malteser Bunnies! Perfect Malteser Brownies.

Soooo Malteser Bunnies are the best. Like, even if you don’t like Maltesers themselves, you’ll porbably like the Bunnies. They’re another of those Easter Treats that make me sad that they’re not available year round.. but alas, it just means I need to stock up now before they’re gone again.

But anyway, these are seriously yum. They took a bit of ~necessary~ testing because they kept on getting devoured, but that just led to the perfect recipe. I will say that I can call them Malteser Brownies because they use the spread, maltesers on the top, and the bunnies, but there aren’t any actual Maltesers in the brownie itself.

I tried several times, but it just doesn’t work for me. They create a little crunch here and there, but otherwise they mainly dissolve which isn’t for me. However, its why I used Malt Powder in them, and then dollops of the spread. I wanted to have the ‘malt’ flavour in there, but not waste loads of Maltesers in the process.

You can get the spread in basically all supermarkets now next to where Nutella is, and its dreamy. Spread it on toast, use it in a cake like I do in my Malteser Cake or my No-Bake Chocolate Malteser Cheesecake, or just eat it with a spoon. Or, dollop it into brownies and swirl to create pockets of heaven.

Honestly, I have eaten far too many of these jars in my time, and they do other versions like Twix, and Bounty and more. But, Malteser wins it out for me. It tastes so chocolatey, with little malt lumps in it and OH MY DAYS yum. So with that, and a fudgey and gooey brownie, you’re on to a winner.

For the Malt Powder in the recipe, I just used a Horlicks malt drink, and on another bake I used Ovaltine. Both of them work really well as they’re quite strong in flavour. I tried out the Malteser Hot Chocolate drink, and it wasn’t the best to be honest, so that was a little sad. I really do find that if you want the flavour of the Maltyness to come through, you should really use a standalone malt drink powder.

I’ve always had people say that Maltesers are one of those sweets that you lie, but you would never pick first. And, I kinda get it in a way but thats because I am so obsessed with other sweets, and not because I’m snubbing Maltesers. However, adding them to a recipe and I can’t help but love them… Like, my Malteser Cupcakes have always been a hit because its the mix of Chocolate Cupcake, Malt Buttercream Frosting, and Maltesers. YUMMY.

These Brownies are the fudgiest ones that I have made in a while, and I am not sorry about that. They’re so delicious. And I hope you all love them too! Enjoy! x

Malteser Brownies!

• 100 g Malt Powder
  • 300 g Milk Chocolate Chunks
  • 200 g Malteser Spread
  • 100 g Melted Chocolate
  • 16 Mini Malteser Bunnies
  • Crushed Maltesers

• Preheat your oven to 180C/160C Fan and line a 9x9inch Square baking tray with parchment paper.
  • Melt together the Butter and Dark Chocolate together in a heatproof bowl over a pan of boiling water, on the microwave in 20 second bursts until melted. Leave on the side to cool whilst you do the rest.
  • Using an electric whisk/stand mixer, whisk together the Eggs & Caster Sugar for a few minutes until the colour has turned pale, is very mousse like, and is double the original volume of the amount of eggs + sugar! You will know its done because when you lift the whisk up out of the mix it should leave a trail for a couple of seconds before disappearing!
  • When whisked, pour the cooled chocolate/butter mix over eggs and fold together carefully.
  • Once completely combined, add the cocoa powder, malt powder, and plain flour on top of the chocolate mix and then fold together again – still be careful to not knock out the air!
  • Fold through the Milk Chocolate chunks, and pour into the tin. Add in dollops of the Malteser spread and swirl slightly.
  • Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes. Some ovens can take longer, such as up to an hour! Once baked, leave to cool in the tin completely.
  • Once cooled, drizzle over 100g of chocolate, and add on a Mini Malteser Bunny for each slice. Crush over some Maltesers. Once the chocolate is set, slice them up!

• Depending on your ovens, or how you mixed the brownies up, some can take up to an hour to bake successfully. I’ve never fully understood why, but don’t give up if they’re not done after 30 minutes – cover with foil and continue to bake for longer. I poke a skewer through them and wait till its mostly clean, and the mixture doesn’t wobble in the tin.
  • If they've been in for an hour, but are still looking a bit undone, remove from the oven, cool completely, and leave in the fridge for an hour before cutting.
  • Warm these up in the microwave and serve with some ice-cream, a delicious dessert for any occasion!
  • These will last in an airtight container for up to 1 week if they last that long!
  • I used Malteser Bunnies as it was Easter time when I made these, but you can easily decorate with just Maltesers as well!
  • You can bake Maltesers into the brownies as well if you wish, but I find that they basically dissolve when baked so there isn't much point.
  • I have made these using Horlicks, and Ovaltine and either work well!
  • Malteser Spread can be found in supermarkets near the Nutellas and such!
Nutrition Facts
Sugar 40g44%
Protein 6g12%
Vitamin A 400IU8%
Vitamin C 0.2mg0%
Calcium 68mg7%
Iron 4.1mg23%
* These are only estimates and can vary dependant on brands of ingredients and serving sizes.

Find my other Brownie & Easter Recipes on my Recipes Page!

• Rosie
    September 19, 2020 at 9:25 am

I made these last night and they are amazing! Do they freeze well?

September 19, 2020 at 11:20 am

Yes they do! Although the Malteser itself may dissolve slightly x

• Simran
    August 3, 2020 at 9:44 am

Hi Jane I made the brownies and the texture inside was lovely but the top was quite hard. They did take about 50 mins to bake. Do you know why they were so hard, especially when cutting it was hard

August 3, 2020 at 12:11 pm

That sounds like because of the extra time it just hardened them – it may be worth turning the temp down slightly whilst baking for longer to help prevent it! X

• Simran
    July 26, 2020 at 1:40 pm

Can you add actual malteasers inside the brownies or is it best to just use the spread?

July 26, 2020 at 5:48 pm

You can, but they will probably just dissolve x

• Rachel Feeney
    July 16, 2020 at 11:59 am

Hi there! I am so intrigued to try these brownies but I can’t find Malteser Spread anywhere. Is it essential that I use the spread?

July 16, 2020 at 12:08 pm

Ahh yes, theres a bit of shortage! But no it’s not essential so you can leave it out x

• Alison Lonsdale
    July 12, 2020 at 9:03 pm

Your recipes are amazing!

I always seem to have an issue with brownies, they never come out quite right, the texture of these ones are great but the bottom seems to be slightly burned, I put foil onto at 30mins and they were done by 40 mins but the bottom seems over done, any advice on how to stop this would be appreciated? Thanks xx

July 13, 2020 at 11:39 am

What type of tin are you baking it in? Regular baking tin/foil/glass/ceramic? sometimes that can change it if you don’t use a regular baking tin – otherwise you could maybe put it onto a tray in the oven so it doesn’t have Direct heat onto it!

• Alison Lonsdale
      July 18, 2020 at 11:03 am

It was a regular tin the one you recommend on amazon 😄 it will be something I’m doing I’m sure, for some reason I just cant bake bownies 😂 I will give putting it on another tray a go thank you

Making the Rolo cookie bar tomorrow, I’m really looking forward to it

X

Xx

July 18, 2020 at 4:38 pm

Ahh okay – I would try putting it onto a tray, or you could lower the temp then as its definitely not the tin! X

• Steph
    May 4, 2020 at 3:49 pm

I’ve baked a lot of things from a lot of cookbooks and websites but NOTHING comes close to these brownies!!! They were absolutely to die for! The only thing I did different was I used Malteser buttons on the top instead of rabbits as it wasn’t near Easter when I made them but they were soooo much fun to make and totally delish!!!

I love your recipes Jane, especially your brownies as they are so easy and taste absolutely divine!!! If I have an event to go to where I say I will bake or it’s someone birthday, your brownies are my go to as I know they will be insanely good and you have so many different flavours there is always something to suit the recipient!

• Charlotte Burt
    May 3, 2020 at 8:01 pm

I made these for my brother’s birthday and they did not disappoint. These were by far the best brownies I’ve ever made and the recipe was super easy to follow🖤

• Amina
    October 25, 2019 at 8:55 pm

The 100g of chocolate on top, is it milk, dark or semi sweet chocolate?

October 25, 2019 at 9:29 pm

Up to you! As it’s just a drizzle, it doesn’t matter. The inside chocolate must be dark!

• Leanne
    April 5, 2019 at 7:10 pm

Hi, would this work without the malt powder? Can I use large eggs instead of medium? Can’t wait to make these! X

April 5, 2019 at 7:13 pm

Yes you can use 3x large eggs – and you can use it without the malt powder, but I really do recommend using it for the best flavour. If not however, use 50g cocoa powder instead of 25g.

• Karen
    June 3, 2018 at 8:31 pm

Hi I hope you don’t mind me asking, do you have a recipe for making bubble gum flavour syrup for putting over cakes thanks.

• Karen
    June 3, 2018 at 8:28 pm

Hi , I hope u don’t mind me asking you , do you have a recipe for making bubble gum syrup for putting over cakes thanks .

• Becky
    March 28, 2018 at 8:48 am

I cannot wait to try these recipes, its so refreshing that a baker posts their own recipes out for the world to try!! Thank you from us all!!

• James
    March 14, 2018 at 4:52 pm

I made these a couple of days ago, and have just eaten the last of it. It was soooo tasty. The whole family loved them…although I actually baked more than they thought, quite a bit of it was eaten en-route to the tupperware container I stored them in : )

It was the first time I’ve ever baked anything – so I did have to go and look up a couple of things, like what folding was – but your recipe was really easy to follow. And delicious. Have I mentioned that yet?

• Owl
    March 12, 2018 at 1:10 pm

Hi Jane. I just wanted to tell you that i really appreciate every recipe that you post. Carry on shining the way you do ✨💕

• Jacki
    March 12, 2018 at 12:23 pm

Sorry I forgot to mention that I live in Australia, and I have never seen Malteser Spread here. Is there an alternative I could use instead?
    Jacki

March 12, 2018 at 2:31 pm

Ahh okay! You can use any spread really thats thick like nutella! x

• Angela
    March 12, 2018 at 12:21 pm

I have a nut allergy and can’t eat the spread as it says it has traces in. Is there an alternative I could use?

March 12, 2018 at 2:33 pm

You can use any nut-free one that has a same sort of thickness, or you can just leave it out 😊

• Bea
    March 12, 2018 at 12:13 pm

I have to order Malteser spread from Amazon! I shouldn’t since they make them here in the USA. Oh well it’s totally worth it. Your little Cadbury bunnies are so cute 💝

• Jacki
    March 12, 2018 at 9:35 am

Hi, where can I buy Malteser Spread?