*This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure for more details!*
Delicious and Chocolatey Toblerone Cupcakes with Toblerone Chunk Sponges, Toblerone Buttercream Frosting, and Toblerone on top!
So… Tobleroneeeee is back. Back again. Tell a friend. But honestly, when was the last time I posted anything Toblerone related? Apparently it was in MAY LAST YEAR. Yes, that’s right. That long ago. Honestly, this is far too long a time gap for anything toblerone related, because I love it!
I definitely don’t show enough Toblerone love on my blog, considering it’s one of my favourite chocolates. I have six recipes already on my blog that are Toblerone themed, including my Toblerone Cheesecake, and my Toblerone brownies… and now this beauty is the seventh!
I have been meaning to post this for a while, as I have actually made these ones several times for my friends and family, and I loveeeee them. I decided to go all out with these, and have Toblerone in the sponge, buttercream, and decoration. Ideal for Toblerone lovers.
The sponges themselves are just a standard chocolate sponge, made with light brown sugar (because I much prefer it for a chocolate sponge!), and then with Toblerone folded in. This makes the sponge really delicious, and still very ~moist~ but perfect for the chocolate! Sometimes the chocoalte can sink, but I personally don’t mind it!
For the Toblerone Frosting, I decided to roll with it… and use a standard chocolatey buttercream because it’s just so much easier. I tend to use the same amount of butter, and chocolate in this sort of frosting, and then double the amount of icing sugar.
Occasionally, I can find that chocolate buttercream’s like this can split a little, but a smidge of whole milk brings it back together! I really wouldn’t advise adding any in if you can help it, as you always want to reduce the amount of liquid you’re adding in is possible. It’s also really VERY important to NOT use anything other than actual unsalted butter.
If you use any form of spread, or whatever, for a buttercream… it won’t be very nice. Use the foiled kind of butter, that is utterly rock solid when you take it out of the fridge. It’s the only thing that will survive the chocolate and piping and so on!
Topping wise, I was going to add on a drizzle of melted Toblerone as well… but because I had already used it in the sponge, buttercream, and then wanted a piece on the top, I thought it was best to avoid. Of course, you can just add on normal chocolate and drizzle that on, but I really wanted the whole thing to be Toblerone themed!
I loveeee a Toblerone, and definitely also in baked form. There are so many different flavoured Toblerone’s now, and they would all work perfectly in these cupcakes so definitely give whichever you fancy!
When decorating these cupcakes, there is definitely one little catch though… you have to be careful with the piping tip you use, because the little bits of nougat from the Toblerone could easily get stuck. I usually use a 2D Closed Star piping tip, but the nozzles are quite fine, so this time I used a 1M open piping tip instead, so it’s easier!
I hope you love these as much as I do! Enjoy! X
- 150 g Unsalted Butter/Stork
- 150 g Light Brown Sugar
- 120 g Self Raising Flour
- 30 g Cocoa Powder
- 3 Medium Eggs
- 150 g Toblerone (chopped)
- 125 g Unsalted Butter (not stork)(room temp)
- 250 g Icing Sugar
- 125 g Toblerone (melted)
For the Cupcakes
- Preheat your oven to 180C/160C Fan, and get your cupcake cases ready!
- Beat together your Butter and Sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in the Flour, Cocoa Powder and Eggs and beat again till a lovely smooth cake mix is formed!
- Fold through the chopped Toblerone, and then split the mxiture evenly between the 12 cases!
- Bake in the oven for 18-22 minutes, or until baked!
- Leave to cool fully before decorating.
For the Decoration
- Make sure your Butter is at room temperature!
- Melt your Toblerone Chocolate carefully, until fully melted. Leave to cool for a few minutes.
- Beat the Butter on it's own for a few minutes, so it's really supple and smooth.
- Add in the Icing Sugar and beat again till smooth!
- Add in the melted Toblerone, and beat again!
- I find, that if a chocolate buttercream splits, it's best to add 1tbsp of whole milk to bring it back together. Only do this if essential though!
For the Decoration
- For each Cupcake, add a piece of Toblerone, and use your favourite Sprinkles!
- I used the regular Toblerone, as it's the classic and delicious! You can easily swap it to any other flavour.
- Be careful with the piping tip you use, because of the bits of nougat in the Toblerone. I used this piping tip for these cupcakes!
- I also used these baking cups from Iced Jems, as they're my favourites!
- These are the sort of piping bags I use!
- These will last for 3-4 days once made!
Find my other Recipes on my Recipes Page!
© Jane’s Patisserie. All images & content are copyright protected. Do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.