Rolo Brownies!

Gooey, fudgey and perfect Rolo Brownies with chocolate chips, Rolo’s, and a caramel swirl!

I love brownies, I love chocolate, I love caramel and I love Rolo’s… so this new recipe is MY DREAM! I am fully obsessed with all things to do with this recipe and I cannot say that enough! Honestly, these are the dream.

Brownies are one of those things that I think almost everyone loves! I will say almost there because not everyone likes chocolate… but at a bake sale, at a birthday, at a restaurant for pudding etc, brownies are always a hit.

When you mix the idea of a thick, fudgey and gooey brownie with caramel it creates the best thing in the world. These brownies has the same base as many of my other recipes such as my honeycomb Crunchie brownies

I am always a firm believer in ‘if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it’ and that goes without saying with these brownies. A happy mix of dark chocolate, butter, eggs, sugar, flour and cocoa powder creates the most wonderful brownies in the world.

The dark chocolate is SO IMPORTANT and PLEASE use the correct one. All dark chocolate for brownies (and dark chocolate in general) should be at least 70% cocoa content or darker. Don’t worry, this recipe doesn’t taste ‘dark’ if thats what you are worried about.

The dark chocolate is so important because the cocoa content is what helps the recipe bake properly, and creates the perfect flavour. The flavour naturally lightens with the rest of the ingredients and the sugar!

To make these Rolo themed, you use Rolo’s.. obviously. I used regular sized rolo’s as there is more caramel and I generally prefer them to the ‘little’ ones, but both work well! You just want to make sure that they are frozen first.

The chocolate chips, chunks of chocolate, or whatever else you add can be any flavour you like! I just tend to use chocolate chips as it’s easier, but it works the exact same if its a chocolate bar chopped up.

I used a caramel drizzle to add a little more yumminess to the bake, but that’s also optional. As I use the carnation caramel drizzle I literally just drizzle it over the brownies and bake – but if you use a jar or tin of caramel you want to lightly drizzle and swirl the caramel in.

Find all of the details, notes and everything you need below in the recipe! Enjoy! x

Rolo Brownies!

Gooey, fudgey and perfect Rolo Brownies with chocolate chips, Rolo's, and a caramel swirl.
4.44 from 16 votes
Category: Traybakes
Type: Brownies
Keyword: Caramel, Rolo
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cooling Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 3 hours 30 minutes
Servings: 16 Pieces

Brownies

• 200 g Dark Chocolate
  • 200 g Unsalted Butter
  • 3 Large Eggs (or 4 medium)
  • 275 g Light Brown Sugar
  • 100 g Plain Flour
  • 50 g Cocoa Powder
  • 250 g Rolos (frozen for at least an hour)
  • 100 g Chocolate Chips/Chunks
  • 100 g Caramel (I use carnations)

• Make sure the Rolos are frozen for at least an hour before baking.
  • Preheat your oven to 180C/160C Fan and line a 9x9" baking tin with parchment paper!
  • Melt together the dark chocolate and unsalted butter until smooth in the microwave or in a bowl over a pan of simmering water. Leave to cool for a few minutes
  • Using an electric whisk/stand mixer, whisk the eggs and sugar together for a few minutes until the mixture has doubled in volume, is alot paler, and leaves a trail for a few seconds when you lift the whisk out.
  • Pour the chocolate/butter mix into the whisked sugar and eggs and fold through very carefully.
  • Add in the flour and cocoa powder and fold through carefully again.
  • Add in the frozen Rolos and chocolate chips and fold in (You can reserve a small handful to sprinkle on the top if you want). Pour the mixture into the tin!
  • Drizzle the caramel over the top of the brownies and very gently swirl in.
  • Bake in the oven for 25-30+ minutes or until there is a very slight wobble in the middle. Sometimes it can take longer, see notes below.
  • Leave to cool in the tin!
  • Optional - set the brownies in the fridge for 1-2 hours after they have cooled to create a lovely fudgey texture!

• These will last for 5-7 days at room temp!
  • You can use caster sugar instead of the brown sugar!
  • You can use any flavour chocolate chip or chopped chocolate.
  • I use carnations caramel drizzle for this recipe, but any ready made caramel or dulce de leche works. Don't swirl it in too much otherwise it may disappear into the brownie.
  • If your brownies are taking much longer than stated to bake, your oven may have been the wrong temperature, or you overmixed your batter. Keep adding on 5 minutes till they're done and cover with foil if need be! The mixture should wobble ever so slightly in the middle, but if it all wobbles it needs longer.
  • I use this dark chocolate in my baking!
  • I used this baking tin for the brownies.

Find my other Recipes on my Recipes Page!

• Jenna Turner
    April 5, 2021 at 10:38 am

Would demerara sugar work? I have used it in cookies before or better sticking to just castor if no light brown? 🤔

April 6, 2021 at 1:36 pm

Hey! Personally I would recommend light brown soft, caster sugar or golden caster sugar over demerara xx

• Sophie
    March 16, 2021 at 7:33 pm

I’ve seen in the comments on a few of your recipes recently where people have asked about changing the amount of mixture for different size tins and you’ve replied with a conversion website.
    I’ve tried looking back at the recipes and can’t find it so would you mind sharing the site please? X

• Anna
    March 15, 2021 at 7:57 pm

Hello!
    I’ve made so many of your recipes and they all turn out amazing 🤩 I don’t have any cocoa powder to hand currently, would it be ok to just use a little more plain flour? I understand this means it probably won’t be as chocolatey!

March 23, 2021 at 3:17 pm

Yes you can add the same weight of more plain flour! x

• Chloe
    March 14, 2021 at 2:34 pm

Hi,

Love this recipe, however I baked for 30 mins, left to cool for 2 hours and the mixture was still completely raw in the middle. Definitely needs more time!

March 14, 2021 at 9:00 pm

It is very possible that yours just needed longer – this can be due to cocoa content in the dark chocolate you use, how the mixture is mixed and then also ovens differ! Either way gooey brownie is delicious x

• Belle
    March 13, 2021 at 3:54 pm

Looking at making some brownies this week. I’ve had a look through your brownie recipes and note the dates on some are 2018- is this your most up to date ‘go to’ brownie recipe to follow?

Excited to bake!

Belle x

March 14, 2021 at 9:03 pm

Yeah basically – nearly all my recent brownies have the same base mix x

• Holly
    March 9, 2021 at 9:47 am

Good morning Jane.
    My husband has decided to buy dark brown sugar instead of light. Can this still work or will I be sending him back to the shop 🤣

• Clo
    February 26, 2021 at 1:39 pm

How do you go about using the caramel? I bought the carnation caramel (which cost £2 for a 375g tin which I only needed 100g of!) but I didn’t end up using it as the consistency didn’t seem right to be able to ‘drizzle’ it on the top. It was lumpy, I tried heating it up but it still wasn’t the right consistency so I left it out as I was worried it would ruin the brownie.

February 26, 2021 at 2:42 pm

So you can get a drizzle version which was I use – but if you use the tin you just need to transfer it to a bowl and stir it a bit before hand, don’t heat it xx

• Chloe
    February 25, 2021 at 3:33 pm

Cant wait to make this! I wanted to do this in a tray bake style do you think this would work still?

February 26, 2021 at 3:35 pm

That depends on the size of the tin x

• Danielle
    February 25, 2021 at 11:53 am

Hi! Is it possible to freeze these brownies? (Or any of your brownie recipes)
    Thank you!

• Holly O'Riordan
    February 23, 2021 at 6:26 pm

The brownies were delicious however my rolos mainly sunk to the bottom and formed a hard chewy texture which was okay . . Is there any way to stop them from sinking. You seemed to have a great distribution of rolos in yous. I didn’t chop them and froze them overnight.

February 25, 2021 at 1:44 pm

Oh! It may be your brownie mix was thinner – make sure to really carefully fold the mixture, and make sure to whisk the eggs and sugar enough at the beginning! x

• Kathy
    February 18, 2021 at 7:19 pm

These are the BEST brownies I have ever baked. I have just made my second batch after my husband brought me more rolos – not that he was hinting or anything 😂

• Elle Hewitt
      March 12, 2021 at 12:46 pm

My eggs and light brown sugar don’t seem to double in size like it does with caster sugar but I’m not sure why?

March 15, 2021 at 12:55 pm

Hello! Sometimes it doesn’t because its a bigger grained sugar but as long as it leaves the trail in the mixture its fine!x

• Dawn
    February 17, 2021 at 11:16 pm

Hi Jane i tried these but they just turn out flat any suggestions thanks

February 18, 2021 at 8:27 pm

Sorry I don’t understand – brownies were flat? x

• Melody
    February 16, 2021 at 2:29 pm

Making these currently and look delicious!
    I have made Brownies in the past and can never seem to get them right, I never know when to take them out. The last brownies I made were burnt on the outside and raw on the middle. Any advice?

February 16, 2021 at 8:02 pm

Try a lower temp for longer if thats the case for you – make sure to use the correct ingredients (such as dark chocolate, not subbing for milk chocolate) and bake until there is a ever so slight wobble. It’s also down to mixing carefully and correctly! x

• Madeline
    February 14, 2021 at 10:09 am

These brownies are absolutely divine! They are even better once refrigerated. I would recommend leaving the Rolos in the freezer for much longer than an hour though.

• Evie
    February 13, 2021 at 9:52 am

Very excited to make these later! Do you leave the rolls whole or chop them up before freezing? Thank you x

February 13, 2021 at 3:09 pm

Whole! You don’t want to chop them.x

• Emma
    February 9, 2021 at 10:10 pm

Can you bake these in individual ramekins? And if so for how long?

• Charmaine
    February 9, 2021 at 3:56 pm

That’s really helpful. Thanks for the super speedy response! Thinking maybe freezing may be the way forward. Can they then be reheated or best just left to naturally defrost and served at room temp?

Last question! 🙂

February 9, 2021 at 7:23 pm

You can do either to be honest – generally leaving to thaw is best, but if you like them warm and gooey, reheating is great! X

• Grace Baker
    February 8, 2021 at 8:35 pm

Made these and had very good feedback from my taste testers!

Just a quick question for this and other recipes – when freezing the rolos (and other fillings for other brownie recipes), can they be frozen over night or is that too long?

Thanks,
    Grace

February 8, 2021 at 8:37 pm

Ahh yay! Yes they can definitely be frozen for longer – it’s just the minimum is an hour!

• Charmaine
    February 8, 2021 at 3:20 pm

Afternoon, apologies if someone else has previously asked this question but how far in advance can you make this mix before baking? I realise it’s probs not long because of the frozen rolos.

Amazing recipes, thank you!

February 8, 2021 at 4:42 pm

In my opinion, all things such as brownies need to be baked immediately after making the mix x

• Jo
    February 6, 2021 at 10:01 pm

Can you use stork instead of butter x

• Sarah
    February 6, 2021 at 9:05 pm

OMG, these were to die for. Far and away the best brownies I have ever made.

• Kim
    February 5, 2021 at 7:23 pm

Hi, is it possible to freeze these? I’ve just made a batch and am trying to be good ideally I’d like to put half in the freezer.

• Emma Hopkins
    February 5, 2021 at 10:03 am

Could you make your own caramel? Thanks Emma

February 6, 2021 at 4:36 pm

Yes! I’ve done it with my homemade caramel sauce recipe x

• Emma Hopkins
    February 5, 2021 at 10:01 am

Could you make your own caramel? Instead of the tinned stuff? Thanks Emma

• Hannah Smith
    February 4, 2021 at 1:24 am

These are totally divine and so indulgent and fudgey! I’d recommend leaving the mixture to totally cool before mixing Rolos in as they half melted. Baked for an extra 10 mins also. Cut in to 16 originally but would be better cut in to 20 as super sweet. Thanks Jane! Another hit in our flat. 🙂

• Nic | Nic's Adventures & Bakes
    February 3, 2021 at 4:30 pm

Thanks for sharing, these look very yummy 🙂

• Melanie
    February 3, 2021 at 3:41 pm

Can these be frozen?

• Louise
    February 3, 2021 at 10:27 am

Amazing. Any idea of the calorie intake of one brownie?

• Emily
    February 3, 2021 at 2:19 am

Just want to start by saying I absolutely loved your recent mini egg NYC cookie recipe and they were a huge success! So I was very curious to try this one out since I regularly make brownies using what seemed like a relatively similar method (the main differences in the batter are that I use caster sugar, three medium eggs and no cocoa powder. Also oven to 180 fan for 30 mins), but for some reason, these didn’t turn out well at all for me despite following your exact recipe down to the letter and leaving them in the fridge a little longer than the two hours. I think for Rolo Brownies I’d probably take elements from this recipe that I think worked well (the cocoa powder is a great addition) and incorporate them into my own method next time. Love your blog

February 3, 2021 at 10:25 am

What chocolate did you use for the base brownie mix? I find that can cause more problems then people realise if it’s incorrect (but also the caramel if swirled in too much will cause it to need more baking time is all!)

• Jamie
    February 2, 2021 at 6:55 pm

Tried this recipe but my brownies came out really swampy and wobbly. I put them back in for another 10 minutes and they were still the same. Kept on putting them in and out of the oven and they just weren’t cooking and kept on being swampy. Temperature was right on oven, followed the recipe to a T. Gave up and let them cool and they were still swampy/ running 🙁

February 2, 2021 at 7:35 pm

What chocolate did you use for the base brownie mix? It likely is just the mixing process that caused it to need longer, but it will have baked eventually if it was in for longer. x

• Jamie
      February 2, 2021 at 9:48 pm

I used callebaut dark chocolate chips. I had it in for 2 hours and it was still swampy and runny 🙁 didn’t have that signature brownie cracked top at all

February 3, 2021 at 10:29 am

Ahh okay, so it may have been the caramel then, sorry!! Try to leave that out next time to check x

• Tracy Jackson
    February 1, 2021 at 9:12 pm

Hi Jane , i only have a 10 inch tin ,should i double the ingredients ?

February 2, 2021 at 8:05 pm

Nooo definitely not, you just need a quarter more! x

• Natalie Dunne
    February 1, 2021 at 8:09 pm

Amazing and I dont like brownies but these ones are to die for thank you 👍❤❤

• Amy Bright
    February 1, 2021 at 3:01 pm

Another brilliant recipe!
    I have rolos and caramel left over so I will attempt adjusting one of your NYC recipes and adding these in!

• Anna Mackay
    February 1, 2021 at 1:24 pm

What measurements would I use for an 8×8 tin?

February 1, 2021 at 5:15 pm

Typically its about 1/5 less so hard to do, you can reduce it if you want, or bake it as it is but they may be a little raw in the middle where it’s deeper x

• Lucy
    January 31, 2021 at 7:57 pm

I’ve been looking to do caramel brownies for a while so thanks for another awesome recipe!

Just wondering why you don’t state to sift on recipes – presuming you do with cocoa/flour & icing sugar?

Thanks again!

February 1, 2021 at 10:00 am

I rarely ever sift anything – pretty much the only thing I 100% sift ingredients is making macarons!

• Lauren
    January 31, 2021 at 6:26 pm

Oooooh these sound amazing! Would these work with gluten free flour as really want to try these!

• Jenny
    January 31, 2021 at 8:23 am

I’m running low on 70% but have loads of 54%, would that be ok to use?

February 1, 2021 at 10:10 am

Ideally 70% or darker is always used in my opinion. How did they turn out?

• Jenny
      February 5, 2021 at 12:30 pm

I ended up using the remainder of my 70% so didn’t use the 54%. I have two bags of 54% with an order of 70% on the way so will use the other for something else. Brownies are still a bit new to me and first time I followed your recipe I think something went wrong but tried again and ever since every brownie of yours I have made has been amazing!!!

The rolo brownies were divine, I just want to keep making new flavours!!

• Cat
    January 30, 2021 at 8:51 pm

Although I did freeze my Rolo’s for a few hours before making the brownies they had almost disappeared once baked. The brownies are a perfect texture just no visible Rolo’s….I did have to bake for at least ten mins more than the instructions so do you think that’s what they disappeared? xx

January 30, 2021 at 10:27 pm

Did you use full size or little ones? if little that may be why – but also more baking time could be it yes!

• Mike Hunt
    January 30, 2021 at 10:26 am

Good for people with a sweet tooth, taste incredible!

• Lauren
    January 30, 2021 at 9:22 am

Ooh, these sound delicious! I love a Rolo, I wonder whether using Munchies might work too, with a little crunch from the biscuit.