*This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure for more details!*
Moist, chocolatey and delicious Terry’s chocolate orange brownies with a hint of orange, dotted with Terry’s chocolate orange chunks!
It’s not secret that I adore chocolate orange – I already have oodles of other chocolate orange recipes on my blog, so I think that says it all really… One of my first recipes to get seriously popular was my chocolate orange cookies, which are amazing by the way, like I have no joke made them over 50 times.
My favourite Terry’s chocolate orange recipe however is my no-bake chocolate orange cheesecake because hello, its cheesecake! Anyway, these brownies are AMAZING. (I realise I just said I preferred the cheesecake, but brownies are brownies, so I like them ALL). I’ll just continue now and stop wobbling on..
Terrys chocolate orange brownies
The delicious texture and moistness of a brownie is heaven in a bite, and with the addition of the chocolate orange, these are utter perfection in my opinion. I make these in the same way as the majority of my other brownie recipes. I melt the chocolates and butter and leave to cool.
Whip the sugar and eggs until mousse like, fold through the chocolate mix, fold through the flour/cocoa powder and orange zest, and then add the oodles of Terry’s chunks. Seriously, delicious.
I always find using different brownie recipes is a good thing, and I love to test other brownie recipes out – some fail completely, and some you just don’t want to mess with!
I did try baking these recently by using the Terry’s chocolate orange itself as the base chocolate (rather than dark chocolate) but because of the orange oil in the chocolate, it didn’t quite bake in the same way. However, if you still use dark chocolate AND the Terry’s it works wonderfully.
You could tell it was different as the consistency of the Terry’s and melted butter was so very runny, whereas the dark chocolate and Terry’s chocolate orange mixed with the melted butter was thick and delicious. I’m not saying using Terry’s on its own wouldn’t work, but you’d need to use two-three Terry’s in that, and also two Terry’s for the chunks.. so it gets expensive.
As you can see from the images, these are the gooiest and most glorious things on the planet. If you don’t like the mixture of chocolate and orange together however, then you are obviously not going to be a fan. For me, these are literally just ideal. My Terry’s chocolate orange cookie bars are a much firmer type of bake (obviously, as they are like a cookie), but these you can get away with being super gooey.
I do kinda like to under-bake my brownies in a way, but I realise some people aren’t the same as me in that sense. These do require quite a bit off effort with the melting, folding, folding again, and then the final fold in of all the chocolate chunks… but they are 100% worth that effort!
I like to stack my brownies in pictures as you can probably tell by now if you’ve seen my other brownies such as the triple chocolate brownies, or my slutty brownies, but can you blame me?! How incredible do they look.
Imagine baking these bad boys, and then having one with a giant chunk of Terry’s chocolate orange ice cream, or even a chocolate drizzle… heaven. ENJOY!
Terry's Chocolate Orange Brownies!
- 150 g dark chocolate
- 150 g Terry's chocolate orange
- 200 g unsalted butter
- 4 medium eggs
- 275 g caster sugar
- 90 g plain flour
- 35 g cocoa powder
- Zest of 1 orange (or 1tsp orange extract)
- 300 g Terry's chocolate orange (chopped)
- Preheat your oven to 180C/160C Fan and line a 9″ square baking tray with parchment paper.
- Melt together the butter, dark chocolate and Terry's chocolate orange in a heatproof bowl over a pan of boiling water, on the microwave for 1-2 minutes until melted. Leave to the side to cool to room temperature!
- Using an electric whisk/stand mixer, whisk together the eggs and caster sugar for a few minutes until the colour has turned pale, is very mousse like, and is double the original volume of the amount of eggs + sugar!
- You will know its done because when you lift the whisk up out of the mix it should leave a trail for a couple of seconds before disappearing!
- When whisked, pour the cooled chocolate mix over eggs and fold together carefully. It might take some time, but be patient – you don’t want to knock out the air you made up on the previous step!
- Once completely combined, sift the cocoa powder and plain flour on top of the chocolate mix, add the orange zest, and then fold together again – still be careful to not knock out the air!
- Once combined well, fold through the chocolate orange chunks and pour into the prepared tin – bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes! Once baked, leave to cool in the tin completely.
- Do not replace the dark chocolate in the brownie batter with milk chocolate - it's important to use the dark chocolate.
- If you can’t find Terry’s chocolate orange anywhere for the chunks, then use 200g dark chocolate in total for the brownie batter.
- Use milk chocolate chunks to fold through, with an extra orange zested.
- Warm these up in the microwave and serve with some ice-cream, a delicious dessert for any occasion!
- Depending on your ovens, or how you mixed the brownies up, some can take up to an hour to bake successfully. I’ve never fully understood why, but don’t give up if they’re not done after 35 minutes – cover with foil and continue to bake for longer. I poke a skewer through them and wait till its mostly clean, and the mixture doesn’t wobble in the tin.
- These will last in an airtight container for 1-2 weeks!
- RECIPE UPDATED FEBRUARY 2019
- It used to be 200g dark chocolate for the brownie batter, and bake for 25-30 minutes - other than that, I haven't changed anything else.
You can find my other Brownie & Chocolate Orange Recipes on my Recipes Page!
© Jane’s Patisserie. All images & content are copyright protected. Do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.