*This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure for more details!*
Chewy, gooey, deliciously yummy Terry’s chocolate orange cookie bars. Easy to bake, even easier to eat the entire batch!
Chocolate orange cookie bars
SO, its clear that I love Terry’s chocolate orange. I have oodles of recipes, and no I will never stop. However, I also adore cookie bars. This new fangled way of eating my favourite things… cookies AND Brownie types put together, making cookie traybakes.
My M&M cookie bars and Rolo cookie bars have always been popular ever since they were posted on to my blog. Combining that with my favourite recipe ever, my Terry’s chocolate orange cookies, I knew I had to share them with you all.
Chocolate cookie batter
I LOVE this cookie batter as its so damn good. It’s the perfect chocolate level, baked for the perfect amount of time. You can make them normal cookies rather than chocolate cookies (look at my Oreo cookie bars for example) but for Terry’s chocolate orange, I had to make it a chocolatey base.
I decided to use orange extract in these bars as well to encourage the orangey flavour, but you can easily use zest as well (I just didn’t have any!). You can always add some extra spare segments on top of the cookie bars in the last couple of minutes of baking, but don’t put them on top right from the beginning, they will just burn (The same as in my Terry’s chocolate orange cookies recipe!).
I would say my usual right about now, about how my trusty taste testers loved these (which does always happen)… but I didn’t want to share these. I wanted to keep the entire batch to myself, but I wasn’t allowed. About 75% of the cookie bars went with me to my parents house, but I ate the rest myself. There were amazing responses to these delicious beings, These taste SO GOOD.
I used the normal milk chocolate orange in this recipe but you can find dark and even white chocolate orange in supermarkets nowadays, moreso at Christmas time I find but that may just be my local supermarket. I personally wouldn’t change from the milk chocolate in the recipe however when I do top my cookie bars with a segment, I love the rich kick the dark chocolate orange can bring to the cookie bar.
All the chocolate orange!
You could potentially ask why I bothered posting this recipe, but I found 6 Terry’s chocolate oranges at the back of my cupboard that were going out of date (I know right, shock AND horror) so I just made them. I tend to stock up on chocolate orange around Christmas time as when you fancy some, you can never seem to find it anywhere!
I also made something else but that is coming soon… Either way, you could say that these are too similar to my Terry’s chocolate orange brownies, but I disagree. The texture is different, but both are amazing. Whichever you fancy, chocolate orange makes it yummy, and I seriously recommend them both. ENJOY!
Terry's Chocolate Orange Cookie Bars!
- 200 g plain flour
- 50 g cocoa powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 115 g unsalted butter
- 55 g granulated sugar
- 135 g light brown sugar
- 1 medium egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp orange extract (Or Zest of 1 Orange)
- 2 Terry's chocolate orange (Chopped)
- Preheat your oven to 190C/170C fan and line a 9x9inch Square Tin with parchment paper, and leave to the side for now.
- Whisk/mix the plain flour, cocoa powder, bicarbonate, salt and cornflour together so its evenly distributed – leave to the side.
- In a larger bowl, melt the butter. Add in the two sugars, and whisk for about 2 minutes so the sugar starts to dissolve and the mixture is smooth. Add in the egg, the vanilla and orange, and whisk again briefly until smooth.
- Add in the dry ingredients, then the chopped chocolate orange pieces, and mix with a spatula until a thick cookie dough is formed.
- Press the mixture into the bottom of the tin. Bake the traybake in the oven for 18-20 minutes, until the top of the cookie bake looks ‘dry’ and a skewer comes out basically clean, bar a few crumbs.
- Leave the cookie bake to cool for about 10 minutes, then leave to cool fully on a wire rack. Cut the bake into 4×4 for decent sizes, or 5×5 for smaller ones! Enjoy!
- This delicious recipe is based on a recipe by crunchy creamy sweet which I have adapted to grams, and swapped up slightly such as by using the chocolate orange.
- One way to seriously jazz these up is to use the chocolate orange segment selection you can buy as there are many different flavours, but that could be expensive. You could also use dark chocolate oranges, or even just a different chocolate bar entirely.
- These delicious beings will last in an airtight container for up to 5 days, but honestly, they’ll be eaten before then.
- My cookie version is here – Terry’s chocolate orange cookies!
Find my other recipes on my Recipes Page!
© Jane’s Patisserie. All images & content are copyright protected. Do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.