*This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure for more details!*
Delicious Chocolate Chip Rolo Cookie Bars that everyone will love – delicious cookie, chocolate chips, and tonnes of Rolos
Say hello to one of my favourite recipes that I have ever posted in my life, and I will always and forever be obsessed with this bake.
I have already posted a recipe for some DELICIOUS M&M Cookie Bars and… oh my days I adore them so much. Like, I’ve made them SO many times now, and so many of you guys love them too.
Alot of my cookie doughs can vary between chocolate based cookie doughs (like my creme egg cookie bars and my triple chocolate NYC cookies) and then plain cookie doughs like these beauties, and my Mini egg NYC Cookies.
This recipe uses 275g of plain flour, but if you want to use a chocolate based cookie dough, then you need to remove 50g of plain flour and add in 35g of cocoa powder; do as the M&M Cookie Bars recipe says!
- Flour – For my cookie bars it is best by far to use plain flour – a flour like self raising flour will cause the cookie bars to be cake like!
- Bicarb – Baking powder and bicarbonate of soda are different things… bicarb is ideal for this recipe!
- Salt – I always love a little salt in my cookies, especially caramel based ones = salted caramel anyone?!
- Butter – Unsalted butter or baking spread works well for these, you don’t have to worry too much!
- Vanilla – Optional, but utterly delicious.
- Chocolate – The most important bit. Rolos, and chocolate chips.
So, when I realised I had an absolute abundance of Rolos in my cupboard by accident, I wanted to merge all things deliicious and create some rolo cookie bars! I have my rolo cookies on my blog already, and whilst i love them – these cookie bars do win out for me.
Fun fact, I used to have a dog called Rolo – thats how obsessed I have been in the past. Sweet little chocolates with pocket of caramel in the middle… what could possible be better?!
These delicious bars are super gooey decadent cookie style. The caramel in the Rolos makes the cookie bars softer and sweeter, whilst also still having little pockets of caramel throughout.
Adding in an extra small amount of chocolate chips gives it that extra hit of chocolatey-ness that I crave! You could easily use white or dark chocolate chips… but milk is my go-to!
There isn’t really a rule to the amount of chocolate to use, but too much may mean the cookie bars don’t bake particularly well. The ratio of rolos to chocolate chips in these beauties is my ideal.
I hope you guys love these as much as my trusty taste testers and I did! Enjoy!
Rolo Cookie Bars!
- 275 g plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 115 g unsalted butter/stork
- 55 g granulated sugar
- 135 g light brown soft sugar
- 1 medium egg (beaten)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 250 g Rolos
- 100 g milk chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 190ºC/170ºCfan and line a 9x9inch square tin with parchment paper, and leave to the side for now.
- Whisk/mix the plain flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt and cornflour together so its evenly distributed – leave to the side.
- In a larger bowl, melt the unsalted butter/stork. Add in both the granulated sugar and light brown sugar, and whisk for about 2 minutes so all of the sugar starts to dissolve and the mixture is smooth.
- Add in the egg and the vanilla bean extract, and whisk again briefly until smooth. (I used an electric whisk)
- Add in the dry ingredients, the Rolos (apart from a handful), and the milk chocolate chips. Mix with a spatula until a thick cookie dough is formed.
- Press the mixture into the bottom of the tin and press in the handful of Rolos into the top for decoration.
- Bake the traybake in the oven for 18-22 minutes, until the top of the cookie bake looks ‘dry’!
- Leave the cookie bake to cool for about 10 minutes, then leave to cool fully on a wire rack.
- Cut the bake when it’s cooled into 4×4 for decent sizes, or 5×5 for smaller ones! Enjoy!
- For these babies, feel free to use big Rolos, mini Rolos, a mixture - whatever you fancy!
- If you can’t access Rolos, you could use something that is a soft caramel like pieces of Cadbury’s caramel maybe? I wouldn’t suggest using a hard caramel sweet however as it will bake differently. You could also use something such as Munchies!
- These delicious little things will last in an airtight container for up to 5 days, but honestly, they’ll be eaten before then.
- You can freeze these once baked for up to 3 months, or from unbaked for 3 months also. If baking from frozen, just add on 2-3 minutes extra!
- If you want to try a cookie version, find them here!
Find my other recipes on my Recipes Page!
© Jane’s Patisserie. All images & content are copyright protected. Do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.