Rolo Cookie Bars!

Delicious Chocolate Chip Rolo Cookie Bars that Everyone will Love – Delicious Cookie, Chocolate Chips, and Oooodles of Rolos!

The other week I posted a recipe for some DELICIOUS M&M Cookie Bars and oh my days I adore them so much. Like, I’ve made them 7 times now, and so many of you guys have already made them too. However, one of my regular readers sent me a link to this delicious recipe by Averie Cooks and it inspired me. I seriously HAD to make a Rolo version of the Cookie Bars immediately.

I wasn’t really keen on going on the Blondie root for the recipe as I posted my recipe for my White Chocolate & Pistachio Blondies recently, but as I only have one Cookie Bar recipe so far, this had to happen. I also wanted to make a slight change and not make it a double chocolate style recipe, and more of a plain cookie! I tried to just remove the 50g Cocoa Powder and add in 50g of Plain Flour but the dough seemed quite wet still, so adding in an extra 25g of flour worked perfectly! If you do want it to be double chocolatey however, do as the M&M Cookie Bars recipe says!

These delicious bars are super gooey cookie style, like these aren’t a crunchy Cookie by any means.. They can be if you like, but you’ll have to bake them for a lot longer, and then the caramel might go a bit dodgy. The caramel in the Rolos makes the cookie bars softer and sweeter, whilst also still having little pockets of Caramel throughout. Adding in a smaller amount of Chocolate Chips gives it that extra hit of chocolateyness that I crave! You could easily use the Dark Chocolate R0los if you prefer, or use White or Dark Chocolate Chips… but Milk is my fave!

After the success of my other Rolo recipes such as my No-Bake Caramel Rolo Cheesecake and No-Bake Rolo Tart I knew you would appreciate this as well. I might have been slightly inspired to do this as well because my new Puppy is called Rolo, so I say Rolo multiple times a day now so it’s all I can think about.. my bad. But hey, they’re delicious! I hope you guys love these as much as my Trusty Taste Testers and I did! Enjoy!

This recipe makes 16 Cookie Bars!

– 275g Plain Flour
– 1 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
– 1/2tsp Salt
– 1tbsp Cornflour
– 115g Unsalted Butter/Stork
– 55g Granulated Sugar
– 135g Light Brown Sugar
– 1 Medium Egg, beaten
– 1/2tsp Vanilla Bean Extract
– 2x 126g Bags of Rolos
– 100g Milk Chocolate Chips

1) Preheat your oven to 190C/170C Fan and line a 9x9inch Square Tin with parchment paper, and leave to the side for now.

2) Whisk/Mix the Plain Flour, Bicarbonate, Salt and Cornflour together so its evenly distributed – leave to the side.

3) In a larger bowl, melt the butter. Add in the two sugars, and whisk for about 2 minutes so the sugar starts to dissolve and the mixture is smooth. Add in the Egg and the Vanilla, and whisk again briefly till smooth. (I used an electric whisk)

4) Add in the Dry Ingredients, the Rolos (apart from a handful), and the Chocolate Chips and mix with a spatula till a thick cookie dough is formed.

5) Press the mixture into the bottom of the tin and press in the handful of Rolos into the top for decoration. Bake the traybake in the oven for 25-30 minutes, until the top of the cookie bake looks ‘dry’!

6) Leave the cookie bake to cool for about 10 minutes, then leave to cool fully on a wire rack. Cut the bake into 4×4 for decent sizes, or 5×5 for smaller ones! Enjoy!

If you can’t access Rolos, you could use something that is a soft caramel like pieces of Cadburys Caramel maybe? I wouldn’t suggest using a hard caramel sweet however as it will bake differently. You could also use something such as Munchies!

These delicious beings will last in an airtight container for up to 5 days, but honestly, they’ll be eaten before then.

I’ve never personally tried this mix as an actual cookie, but if you try it out, let me know how you get on – I’d love to know if it worked!

Find my other Cookie & Traybake Recipes on my Recipes Page!

• Ashley
    March 19, 2020 at 12:49 pm

I have brown granulated could I use that ?

• Ashley
    March 18, 2020 at 6:40 pm

Hi there I was wondering if you could use caster sugar instead of granulated? As I cant get hold of it because of panic buying

March 18, 2020 at 7:16 pm

Granulated really is better for these kind of cookies – but it might just bake slightly softer – otherwise will be fine though if that’s all you have!!

• Zoe
    February 24, 2020 at 6:20 pm

We have a gluten intolerance in the family but I’d love to make these, can I just change the flour for gluten free flour or do I need to do anything else?!

• Emma
    January 9, 2020 at 2:07 pm

Could I substitute the Rolos for galaxy caramel? If so how much and should I still use chocolate chips? Thank you!

January 9, 2020 at 2:17 pm

I would use the same weight of galaxy for Rolos – but be careful to not break the galaxy up too much. It might be better to freeze them first! And the chocolate chips is up to you – I still would!

• Padma
    January 5, 2020 at 4:25 pm

They look delicious.

• Kirstie
    November 27, 2019 at 9:29 am

I am so excited to make this recipe.
    I am just wondering can I use a slightly bigger tin than a 9×9 ?

November 27, 2019 at 7:30 pm

It genuinely depends how much bigger – anything bigger will make the bake thinner, and the bake take less time to bake.. and potentially dry it out a little more! x

• Faye
    November 8, 2019 at 10:35 pm

Hello! can the mix be made the day before and kept in the fridge overnight to bake the next day or will this affect it? Thanks x

November 10, 2019 at 5:23 pm

Yes you can! You can also freeze the cookie dough!

• […] everyone their own Rolo Cookie for their wedding favour in case they were feeling peckish. Holla at Jane’s Patisserie for her insane […]

• Phil
    June 30, 2019 at 5:47 pm

Thanks for this Jane, they’re worked out well. One suggestion I can offer is, instead of using full-size Rolos, to try using Mini Rolos? The full-size ones can be a bit difficult to manage when pressing the dough into the tray, so perhaps the mini ones might make it easier. I haven’t tried it yet, though – just a theory.

June 30, 2019 at 7:48 pm

I disagree – I think full size Rolos are much better, and I have made it countless times with them without any issues. Pressing the dough in is easy when using your hands or a spatula!

• Gillian
    March 13, 2019 at 5:37 am

I’m thinking of baking these but I don’t have the correct baking tray, I do however have a foil roasting tray (one of the disposable ones. Do you think it would work similarly if I were to use the disposable tray? Thanks in advance. Btw I literally will go nowhere else for recipes after I found this page!

March 13, 2019 at 8:56 am

Yes they should be fine! Obviously is the volume sizing of the trays is different the traybake may take different times to bake, but it should work fine!

• Ellen
    March 2, 2019 at 4:59 pm

I made these a few weeks ago and they were amazing! I definitely didn’t save enough to put on top though!

• […] first thing I made were these Rolo Cookie Bars from Jane’s Patisserie. I’ve been wanting to make cookie bars for so long, so when my mum chose this recipe, I was so […]

• Amee
    February 11, 2019 at 5:40 pm

I made these the other day and they were so tasty!! The only thing is mine came out a bit dry and crunchy. I have a gas oven so not sure if I did the conversion wrong. What temperature would you recommend for gas and do you think I should alter the cooking time?

February 11, 2019 at 7:08 pm

I’m not 100% sure as I haven’t baked these on a gas oven before! Maybe just reduce the cooking time by a few minutes, or lower the temperature a bit! X

• Jodie
    November 27, 2018 at 1:38 pm

Just made these, smell delicious (I’m diary free as I’m breastfeeding a newborn with a cows milk allergy) so I haven’t tried them. However when I’ve tried to cut them they are just very gooey…🤔 have I cooked them too high or shall I leave out some Rolos next time or more flour?

November 27, 2018 at 5:29 pm

They’re designed to be gooey! Maybe just bake a couple more minutes next time! x

• Daniel Mattock
    November 8, 2018 at 11:16 am

Can you freeze them?

• Rochelle
    November 2, 2018 at 9:12 am

Recipe looks delicious!!!! I can’t wait to try this!!!! I tried your brownies the other day so if this is anything to go by it’s going to be a winner!!!!

• Jess
    October 27, 2018 at 5:28 am

Made these yesterday, they were absolutely delicious (all gone already). Tried a couple of shops and couldn’t get Rolos so we resorted to getting a bar of dairy milk caramel and using the squares of that instead. It turned out lovely- especially when still warm with a dollop of ice cream!

• Emma
    April 27, 2018 at 11:24 am

Hi how many rolos do I add in ??

April 27, 2018 at 11:29 am

The amount is listed in the ingredients.

• Jamie Ellwood
      June 27, 2018 at 3:42 pm

Hi Jayne.

When it comes to the vanilla extract, can I use the vanilla paste instead?

• […] We had another charity bake sale at work recently so with it being midweek I didn’t want to spend hours in the kitchen after work. Similarly to the Salted Caramel Cookie Bars I made recently, I found these ones on Pinterest too. I’ve not had rolo’s for ages and these seemed a good an excuse as any to have some! The recipe was from Jane’s Patisserie […]

• […] and it kinda made me realise that I hadn’t baked actual cookies in a while. I made my Rolo Cookie Bars again recently for a youtube video, and I ADORE THEM SO MUCH, but I felt like I wanted an actual […]

• Emma
    January 21, 2018 at 4:26 pm

These are delish! I made them last weekend for my friends and my boyfriend has asked for them again already! I didn’t have any plain granulated sugar so I used golden and it was still lush so I’m sticking with that now. Thanks for the recipe 🙂

• Leanne
    January 19, 2018 at 12:52 pm

These are so yummy and so so addictive! I think I end up making a batch nearly every week for some reason or another (Mostly made up reasons just so I can eat some but hey ho!) They always go down well with whoever ends up eating what I’ve left over 😁

• Paula
    November 3, 2017 at 12:03 am

I’ve never heard of ‘corn flour ‘. I’m sure it’s not cornmeal. Can I just use an extra tablespoon of plain flour or is it the same as cornstarch??!

November 3, 2017 at 7:44 am

I believe it’s the same as cornstarch. ☺️

• Olivia Davidson
    September 16, 2017 at 4:14 pm

In the oven baking now & smell amazing ! Can not wait to try !
    Thanks for a really simple recipe ☺️

• M
    September 5, 2017 at 6:39 pm

Hi Jane, I made these and the first time they came out great. However, since then, the cookie mixture has seemed less dry and gloopier resulting in a rock hard tray of cookie bars. What am I doing wrong?

September 5, 2017 at 7:28 pm

It might be that more of the rolos have broken in the cookie dough, so its baking differently. Carefully mix them in instead, and it should be fine.

• Julie
    March 5, 2017 at 7:22 pm

Made these for my daughter and son-in-law, received a text saying, what are they called? We’re eating them all! Doesn’t look like they’ll be any left for work tomorrow then ?

March 6, 2017 at 7:08 am

Hahaha amazing!! ? Just means another batch is in order! X

• […] I end up with 3 recipe books!! I have an addiction to recipe books. I came across this recipe for Rolo cookie bars on Pinterest and decided to give it a […]

• Victoria Lee
    November 13, 2016 at 6:53 pm

I made these today with my daughter and they turned out perfectly. Thank you.

• Maricarmen
    November 6, 2016 at 4:17 am

I made these bars today for my 12 year old and he liked them a lot, thank you for sharing! – I like that I have to weight the ingredients, I think it’s more accurate.

• Sandra
    October 22, 2016 at 9:55 am

I am about to bake your recipe and soooo excited about it! Thank you for all those marvelous ideas, recipes and the way you blog! Truly inspirational! Even though it’s sometimes though to get certain things here in Germany!(although amazon helps me alot to solve those tiny hiccups:)))) xx

October 22, 2016 at 6:32 pm

Awh yay! I’m so glad! And yeah, I have readers from all over the world and sometimes I haven’t a clue what the equivalent is! I hope you love them! xx

• Amy baines
    September 8, 2016 at 9:25 pm

Just made these to take to work for someone’s birthday! Look/smell amazing. Can’t wait to tuck into them! 😀 x

September 9, 2016 at 4:18 pm

Ooooh I hope the birthday person enjoys them and everyone else! And you of course! Hehe thank you!! X

• Linda
    September 7, 2016 at 9:56 pm

Love Rolos!! Sounds delicious 🙂 🙂

• Emma
    September 7, 2016 at 6:21 pm

Oh my gosh. I hope these taste as good as they look! I can’t wait to try them!

September 7, 2016 at 10:02 pm

Awh thank you! And I can assure you they do!!

• Kristen
    September 5, 2016 at 9:55 pm

Ooooh Jane you’ve got me nearly dribbling! These I HAVE to try!! Pls keep the amazing recipes coming – don’t know what I’d do without your website – all the recipes I’ve tried of yours are a success and taste beautiful – can’t thank you enough!! xx

September 5, 2016 at 10:01 pm

Ahh not quite dribbling, I need to try harder!! Hehe but thank you so much!! xx

• Kelly | Maverick Baking
    September 5, 2016 at 9:29 pm

Dayummmmm that Rolo caramel ooze though. These look so good!

September 5, 2016 at 10:00 pm

Hahah oh I know, I was so satisfied with the photos of that caramel! Thank you!

• silvia
    September 5, 2016 at 3:05 pm

Yummy! You gave me the right recipe for the dessert to offer to my friends at our Lady Bunco Night… I’m sure it will be a success! Thanks for sharing!