Rolo Cupcakes!

Chocolate Cupcakes with a Rolo Centre, Caramel Buttercream Frosting & Even more Caramel, Chocolate and Rolos! Hello Heavenly Rolo Cupcakes!

SO, Rolos are clearly one of the most popular things that you can post about at the moment… My Rolo recipes always seem to go down so well… well, I say that, I only have two; my No-Bake Caramel Rolo Cheesecake, and my No-Bake Rolo Tart. However, even though I only have two, they are two of the most popular recipes on my website. Seriously, I can’t keep up with how many views my No-Bake Caramel Rolo Cheesecake still gets every day and the recipe is over a year old, and the No-Bake Rolo Tart is still just as surprising.

I decided as tomorrow is Cupcake Day I would bake and post yet another delicious Cupcake recipe just in time! – Cupcake Day is a chance to bring together friends and family and colleagues to help raise money for Alzheimer’s Society and help to defeat dementia. I always adore raising money for charity, especially the ones that I am close to or ones who have helped my friends and family in the past, but Alzheimers is one of the most important ones to me. One of my greatest fears in life is for my family members to suffer from it, so anything I can do to help out I will. And whats the best way to get people to donate? Sell delicious cupcakes like these!

I used the same Cupcake recipe as my Honeycomb Crunchie Cupcakes that I posted the other day as they’re so delicious and light, yet still moist. I used a Caramel Buttercream Frosting as I wanted it to feature Chocolate AND Caramel so its more Rolo like. Drizzling on Caramel and Chocolate is an absolute must, and of course some more Rolos. I do however put some Rolos into my cupcakes! I use a cookie/ice-cream scoop to portion my cake batter into the cupcake cases evenly, and then I add two rolos sandwiched together on top of the batter. This way, the Rolos will sink into the cupcakes but not go to the bottom!

I honestly think these are some of the most delicious Cupcakes – I realise there aren’t that many Rolos on mine, but I had eaten a majority of the second packet before it had got to putting any on top (hence why there is only 1 and a half of one on each cupcake), but the mixture of the cupcakes, the buttercream and the drizzles is heavenly. I really hope you like these as much as I did, ENJOY!!

This recipe makes 12 cupcakes

Cupcakes
– 175g Unsalted Butter, room temperature
– 175g Light Brown Sugar
– 3 Large Eggs
– 140g Self-Raising Flour
– 35g Cocoa Powder
– 1-3tbsp Whole Milk
– 24 Rolos (one 126g bag)

Caramel Buttercream Frosting
– 150g Unsalted Butter, room temperature
– 375g Icing Sugar, sifted
– 75g Caramel – I used Carnations Caramel*

Decorations
– 2 tbsps Caramel
– 50g Milk Chocolate, Melted
– Rolos

1) To make the Cupcakes – Heat your oven to 180C/160 Fan/350F and line a cupcake/muffin tin with 12 Large cupcakes cases/Muffin Cases.

2) With a stand mixer – Beat the butter with the light brown sugar until light and fluffy – Combine the eggs, self-raising flour and cocoa powder with the butter/sugar mix until well combined. It won’t take too long to mix! If the mixture is too stiff you can add a little bit of milk at a time to get a smooth light consistency (Full-fat will prevent the mix splitting)

3) Spoon the mix into the cupcake cases evenly and put 2 Rolos onto the top of the mixture in each cupcake case – bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until they’re baked through and they are springy to touch – Mine usually take 17-18 minutes! It might be hard to do the skewer test because of the Rolos in the middle – leave them to cool fully on a wire rack!

4) To make the Caramel Buttercream Frosting –Beat the butter with an electric mixer for a couple of minutes to loosen it – Gradually add the icing sugar on a slow speed until it is combined then speed the mixer up and beat for 3-4 minutes until fluffy and smooth.

5) Add the caramel to the buttercream and continue mixing, keep on beating for 5 minutes until whipped!

6) To decorate the Cupcakes – I used a Large 2D closed star tip to decorate my cakes but you can do whatever you like! Pipe on the buttercream – loosen the caramel you’re using slightly with a spoon and drizzle over the cupcakes. Melt the milk chocolate and drizzle over the cupcakes as well, add the Rolos to the top and huzzah!

*For the Buttercream/Drizzle you can either use Carnations Caramel, Dr Oetker Salted Caramel centres, Dulce de Leche etc – a thick caramel sauce is all you need!

If you want an extra chocolatey fix, you can add in 100g of chocolate chips to the cupcake mix, but I like using just the Rolos!

These cupcakes will last in an airtight container for 3 days at room temperature!

I buy my Cupcakes Cases from Iced Jems – here!

Find my other Cupcake & Chocolate & Honeycomb Recipes on my Recipes Page!

• Steph
    June 14, 2020 at 2:17 pm

Hi Jane do you think this would work as a vanilla style cupcake so say with brown sugar instead of caster and leave out the cocoa powder? My daughter loves rolos but not chocolate cake thanks 😊 x

June 14, 2020 at 5:00 pm

Hey! Typically I use caster sugar for vanilla cakes as light brown can make it more caramel like, but if you take out the cocoa powder you need to replace with more flour!

• Claire Mpoy
    December 3, 2019 at 7:47 am

Hi,
    Made these delicious cupcakes a few times and have always been devoured very quickly lol.
    Can you use the same recipe to make a big cake? Any tips or advice re possibly doubling ingredients for the perfect big rolo chocolate cake??

• Michelle
    April 7, 2019 at 8:48 pm

A few of mine seem to have sunk in the middle! Is this normal or where have I gone wrong? 😩 xx

April 7, 2019 at 9:04 pm

If they’ve sunk then they’re not finished baking x

• Dawn
    March 24, 2019 at 2:45 pm

When it says 1-3 tbsp is that 3 tbsp of whole milk?

• Helena
    February 26, 2019 at 9:17 pm

These cupcakes were wonderful, thank you so much for posting them! I never have any trouble with your recipes 😊

• Rachel
      May 5, 2020 at 12:13 pm

This is exactly how I feel. Amazing recipes and they always taste so good. Thank you for sharing 🙂

• Mica
    August 11, 2018 at 4:03 pm

Jane just made these! The cake has come out perfect after 15 mins in my fan oven however, the rollos burnt and dropped down the side of the cupcake cases in into my muffin tins! 🙁🙁🙁 any way to avoid this from happening? Perhaps put them in the middle?
    Love making your recepies so much 😊 x

August 12, 2018 at 10:22 am

Hiya! I’m not entirely sure how that happened haha! I’ve never had that before. You could just squish them in slightly, but naturally they should sink into the cupcake rather than come out! x

• Vero
      November 29, 2018 at 4:17 pm

Somebody please help i don’t understand 175 g i need oz tbs i want to make these but this isn’t in u.s language

• Carrie
    June 9, 2018 at 7:43 pm

Did anyone else’s rolo’s melt and sink to the bottom? These looked great but think I’ll need to freeze the rolo’s first

June 10, 2018 at 10:36 am

That can sometimes happen – try putting them right at the top next time to see if they sink less x

• Zona
    May 24, 2018 at 12:06 pm

Oh my gosh I was looking for inspiration for the Alzheimer’s society cupcake day. And yes will be making these today for a wee trial.
    Could these be frozen?

• Twix Cupcakes! - Jane's Patisserie
    April 6, 2018 at 7:39 pm

[…] I made my Rolo Cupcakes I loved the recipe so much, this is quite similar. I decided to put some Twix Bites in the middle […]

• […] Peanut Butter Miniatures sandwiched and baked into the middle. HELLO YUMMY. This is inspired by my Rolo Cupcakes recipe which has been a consistent hit on my blog since posting, so I thought a Reese’s […]

• […] did make some slight differences though, as I used the buttercream frosting from my Rolo Cupcakes recipe. I find its the perfect Caramel Buttercream Frosting, and its just so easy to make. You can […]

• Kirsty
    February 18, 2018 at 11:55 am

Hi. When you say large cupcake cases, is that the standard size or are there larger ones? Or muffin cases?
    Btw, I LOVE your recipes 💕

February 19, 2018 at 7:41 pm

These are probably more muffin size cases!

• Beverley Shearer
    January 28, 2018 at 5:04 pm

I have made rolo cup cakes and twix ones for the first time today! I’m so pleased, your instructions are really clear and precise. Thank you x

• Vicky
    November 22, 2017 at 9:40 am

These look divine! Can’t wait to try them! Just wondered if these cupcakes freeze well?

November 22, 2017 at 10:35 am

Yes they do! The Rolo might go a little harder though, but it’ll just a nice chewy caramel.

• Becka
    October 5, 2017 at 10:21 pm

Just made these! Mine look a bit of a mess because I don’t have a piping bag and I couldn’t be bothered with melting the chocolate, but they taste delicious! I’m normally an awful baker, but these turned out fantastic, thank you.

• Verena
    September 28, 2017 at 8:04 pm

Absolutely yummy!

• Rebecca
    August 23, 2017 at 4:37 pm

I would have loved trying your Rolo cupcake recipe but, it was in the metric system, and we don’t use metric here! It would be awesome if you could also post them using measuring cups. Thank you.

August 23, 2017 at 7:35 pm

Hiya – You can find tips on how to convert it on google, or use my helpful tips page to help.

• Charlotte
    July 29, 2017 at 4:16 pm

The kids loved making these although Mine have gone hard I might have over baked them or the fact my friend refrigerated them ?? second attempt is needed I think.

July 29, 2017 at 6:55 pm

It might be a little of both – you should never refrigerate cake unless its a type like Carrot Cake which can stay moist… all other types will dry out in the fridge.

• Sunyah
    March 17, 2017 at 6:28 pm

I can’t wait to try these! They look amazing!! ?. And thank God you use grams as measurements! Sick and tired of people using only cups, that’s not accurate measuring!

March 18, 2017 at 7:13 pm

Hahaha yes, personally I HATE cup measurements ? And thank you!

• Emma Donaldson
    March 15, 2017 at 4:43 pm

Making this right now! So exciting! They’re looking fab so far

• Emma Donaldson
      March 15, 2017 at 7:10 pm

They are beyond beautiful! I’m going to tag you in the instagram thank you so much!

March 15, 2017 at 8:14 pm

Oh that’s amazing!!!! Please do! ❤️

• Terry vogt
    March 5, 2017 at 2:35 am

Could you convert to cups for me?

March 6, 2017 at 6:59 am

Sorry no, I don’t like cup measurements as I find them too unreliable. I suggest investing in some digital scales as then you can do all other recipes! X

• Day 1 of 12: Dairy Milk Caramel Cupcakes | Andrew in the Kitchen
    December 1, 2016 at 8:43 am

[…] Jane’s Patisserie’s Rolo Cupcakes […]

• lesley peart
    June 19, 2016 at 7:41 am

I made these for father’s day …my daughter was the taster …verdict …awesome ?

• Sammie
    June 15, 2016 at 1:43 pm

Yummy, delicious, want one now!! These look so good and I never used to like caramel – shame on me! Rolo’s are enjoying a bit of a retro revival at the mo and you’ve done them justice with these gorgeous cupcakes. Still want one ?xx

June 15, 2016 at 4:48 pm

Haha its okay, it is very sweet! And I know right, I feel like my Cheesecake might have started something with that ? Hehe only joking, I love Rolos! hehe ☺️ xx

• Suzanne
    June 15, 2016 at 11:09 am

Beautiful Love rolo’s and cupcakes!!!