*This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure for more details!*
Delicious moist & crunchy cookies full to the brim with chunks of Terry’s chocolate orange – heavenly Terry’s chocolate orange cookies!
Chocolate orange cookies
I have ALWAYS adored chocolate + orange flavouring together – especially Terry’s chocolate orange – it sounds like an odd combination at first if you haven’t tried it, but once you have, you will never forget it! Literally my favourite chocolate! When I was little, I would eat at least 3 a week (I realise this is bad, but I ate plenty of healthy stuff too!!).
I have always baked big cakes and used chocolate orange, and then cupcakes as well – but when I went to the supermarket recently and picked up a bag of Terry’s chocolate orange cookies to buy, I realised I might as well bake them at home myself so I know exactly what is in then, and sometimes it works out much cheaper! – turns out this is the best decision I have ever made.
Seriously though, I know you all love and adore Terry’s chocolate orange – hence the love for the no-bake chocolate orange cheesecake that I posted a few months ago – my second most popular recipe on my blog! These cookies are the perfect combination of crunchy edges and gooey delicious centre – its a winner all round!
These cookies are always perfect to bake around Christmas time, or when you are just craving something utterly delicious. The perfect part about them is that the oils in the chocolate orange that create the flavouring, makes the cookie bake perfectly every single time – I have honestly never had a problem with these!
These are the sort of cookies that you will want to bake over and over, partly because they’re just so damn easy to bake. Honestly, cream the butter and sugars, whack in the egg, whack in the dry ingredients, shove in all the chocolate orange ever, and bake. Most other recipes I’ve seen require chilling first, and these beauties don’t need it.
Not needing chilling means you can get to my favourite cookies ever, quicker. Honestly, these are genuinely my favourite cookie recipe I have, partly because of the Terry’s chocolate orange obsession I have going on, but that’s not entirely it. I genuinely just think the actual cookie is insane! It’s such a wonderful mix of chewy, gooey, and delicious. If you bake it for longer, it’ll get crunchy too!
This recipe has been on my blog for quuuuite a while now, and as I write this after updating the images in November 2018, it remains to be my favourite cookie. I know the recipe off by heart and have experimented with it a few times, resulting in recipes such as my Toblerone cookies, and my M&M cookies. I’ve also created a cookie bar version of these because I just adore them THAT much.
Honestly, imagine baking these, and serving them with a scoop of my Terry’s chocolate orange ice cream, or having a Terry’s themed party and devouring these and my other 15 themed recipes as well. Maybe I love it too much, but honestly, if you try these you will understand my pure and utter love. Enjoy the recipe!
Terry's Chocolate Orange Cookies!
- 125 g unsalted butter
- 100 g granulated sugar
- 100 g light brown sugar
- 1 medium egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- 25 g cocoa powder
- 175 g self raising flour
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Zest of 1 large orange (or 1tsp orange extract)
- 250 g Terry's chocolate orange (chopped)
- 16 Segments Terry's chocolate orange
- Preheat your oven to 190C/180C Fan/375F and line three baking trays with parchment paper
- Mix together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy and thoroughly combined – I often use an electric mixer for this bit as it makes it so much easier and combines the ingredients very well – but good ol’ manpower will work too!
- Add the vanilla essence and the beaten egg, and mix again briefly.
- Add the cocoa powder, flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, salt and orange and mix until a thick paste/cookie dough is formed. (Or add it all in together!)
- Chop the chocolate orange pieces and add to the mixture and fold through
- Spoon the mixture onto the trays and make sure they are suitably spread out so they stay separate! (I usually fit 6 on each tray to be safe) I also use a cookie dropper/ice cream scoop to make them identical sizes.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes – remove quickly and add a segment to each cookie, and then bake for another 1-2 minutes.
- Once baked, remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before gobbling up otherwise you might burn yourself on molten chocolate!
- You don’t have to add the chocolate pieces on top, you can include it all in the dough, but I love having melted bits of chocolate on top of a cookie – especially if I am serving them warm with a drink, such a gooey chocolate treat!
- If you don’t have Terry’s chocolate orange where you are, you could try using milk chocolate with a bit more orange zest, or even a bit of orange flavouring which I often do!
- These cookies will last for 4-5 days+, but usually, get eaten before that.
Find my other Recipes on my Recipes Page!
© Jane’s Patisserie. All images & content are copyright protected. Do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.