Three Layers of White Chocolate and Pistachio Sponges, with White Chocolate Buttercream, and even more Pistachio!
I realised that on my blog I hadn’t put up that many actual cake recipes, more cookies and cupcakes than anything else and I felt this desperately needed sorting out! I was going through book after book to decide what cake recipe I should experiment on that would be interesting and utterly delicious.. There were so many of them I found it difficult to choose! However, I did discover a recipe from the Lovely Chetna Makan from The Great British Bake Off for a Pistachio and White Chocolate cake and seeing as I have an obsession of Pistachios and chocolate that this would be ideal! You can find the original recipe here.
I decided to make the cake slightly bigger to make it a celebration cake for a friend of mine – it was her birthday and I thought that it would be perfect! The cake would be ideal on a spring and summer evening for the whole family to enjoy, or especially for a dab of Afternoon Tea.
The sponge of this cake is dotted with bits of pistachios and chunks of white chocolate – combined with the lightest and fluffiest white chocolate buttercream is utterly delicious
Recipe Updated July 2017
This recipe serves 12-15 easily!
– 400g Unsalted Butter/Stork
– 400g Caster Sugar
– 7 Large Eggs
– 400g Self-Raising Flour, sifted
– 150ml Whole Milk
– 150g Pistachios, roughly chopped
– 150g White Chocolate chunks/chips
– 250g White Chocolate
– 250g Unsalted Butter
– 350g Icing Sugar, sifted
– 1tsp Vanilla Extract
– 50g Pistachios, roughly chopped
1) To make the Cakes – Preheat your oven to 180C/160C Fan/350F, and line and grease 3 8″/20cm cake tins!
2) Cream the butter and sugar together with an electric mixer until light and fluffy then mix in the eggs one at a time – if it beings to curdle then add a spoonful of the flour and it’ll bring it back
3) Once all the eggs are incorporated into the cake batter, add the flour and milk to the mix and then whisk again for 1 minute on a medium speed – it’ll make the mix light and fluffy
4) Fold in the chopped pistachios and chocolate with a spatula and split amongst the tins – bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes and then cool on a wire rack till cooled completely.
5) To make the Buttercream – Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmer water – set aside to cool whilst you do the rest.
6) Mix the butter, sugar and vanilla in an electric mixer until light and fluffy like a normal buttercream – gradually mix in the melted white chocolate and continue to mix for about 5 minutes until its creamy and delicious.
7) Spread the icing between the layers and then pipe your buttercream using a 2D Closed Star Piping Tip on the top. Sprinkle the pistachios on top – and EAT!!
Tips and Ideas
You can easily take a third of the recipe away if you wanted to do only two layers, or make two thicker layers with all of this recipe – it will just take longer in the oven.
You don’t have to use the pistachios and chocolate chunks in the sponges, just use the rest of the recipe as normal, it might just take a tiny bit less time in the oven!
This cake will last for 3-4 days and will stay just as delicious throughout!
Find my other Cake Recipes on my Recipes Page!
© Jane’s Patisserie. All images & content are copyright protected. Do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.