Deliciously Sweet, Sticky & Chocolatey Sweet Rolls – Just like you get in a bakery!
A few weeks ago I posted the recipe of my Lemon & Blueberry Sweet Rolls – and they were a massive hit, with so many people baking them and sending me the photos (THANK YOU! I love seeing the bakes of my recipes!) I also mentioned in that recipe that I wanted to share my Chocolate Sweet Rolls, so huzzah here they are!
My boyfriend is obsessed with these – he says “They taste like sweet buns mixed with iced doughnuts, and so much chocolate!” Which is a good thing, apparently 😉 But seriously, these rolls are full of a deliciously sticky vanilla sugar and chocolate chips, with a sweet bread recipe binding all the goodness together. They’re SO moreish!
The bread recipe is a lot easier to create then you might think – I used to be terrified of making bread, but these are seriously easy, and if you follow my method I’m sure you will agree too! 🙂
This recipe makes 12 delicious buns!
– 600g Strong White Bread Flour, plus extra for dusting
– 14g Dried Yeast
– 75g caster sugar
– 90g Unsalted Butter
– 275ml Milk, I use full fat but you can easily use semi skimmed!
– 1 Large Egg
– 45g Butter, Melted
– 100g Caster Sugar
– 100g Light Brown Sugar
– Seeds of 1/2 Vanilla Pod
– 200g Chocolate Chips
– 200g Icing Sugar
– 1-2 tbsp water
– Cocoa powder
1) Sift the flour into a large bowl, and add the caster sugar and yeast. Mix so they are all even distributed! Rub the butter into the mixture until it resembles fine breadcrumbs – Like when making scones! (If you’re feeling lazy, then whizz these ingredients in a food processor until breadcrumbs)
2) Heat the milk gently until warm, it should just about start steaming in the pan – mix the milk and the egg into dough and mix/knead for 7-10 minutes. I use my KitchenAid with the dough hook, it only takes 5-7 minutes to knead! It should spring back when touched (Like a cake does when cooked!)
3) Move to a lightly oiled bowl and cover with clingfilm – leave in a warm place and leave to rise for 1-2 hours (I made these on a relatively chilly day so it took the full two hours)
4) Whilst the bread is proving you can make the vanilla sugar – mix the caster sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla pod seeds until a sand like texture is formed. Leave to the side.
5) Once risen, remove the dough from the bowl and roll out onto a lightly floured work surface. I rolled mine to 50cmX30cm. (20″X12″)
6) Gently brush the surface with the melted butter, then sprinkle on the Vanilla Sugar, sprinkle on the chocolate chips so they are even across the dough. Roll from the long side to the long side (so that a 50cm sausage is formed, you roll the 30cm length) Cut this into 12 pieces and place into an oven proof dish. I used a rectangular dish 30cmX24cm (12″X9.5″)
7) Cover again and leave to rise for 1 hour – towards the end of the hour heat the oven to 180C – Once the hour is up, bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until golden brown on top and cooked through! Leave to cool.
8) Once cooled, mix the icing sugar with the water, split into two bowls and mix half with a touch of cocoa powder – drizzle onto the sweet rolls and enjoy!
Tips and Ideas
This recipe is inspired by many different I have tried and read over time, I’ve been baking these for a few years now so they have been tried and tested many a time!
These are best eaten on the day of baking, but they will last covered for a few days days!
P.s. These are the perfect chocolatey sweet breakfast treats, if you can wait for the bread to prove!
Find my other Bread/Breakfast recipes on my Recipes Page!