Lemon Celebration Cake!

A Delicious, Light & Lemony Sponge filled with a dash of Lemon Curd, and a Luscious Lemon Buttercream! The perfect Lemon Celebration Cake for the Summer!

Recipe Updated May 2017!

After posting the recipe for my Victoria Sponge – Celebration Cake I figured it would be deliciously yummy if I experimented on this and produced different flavours! When I asked on my Facebook page recently if anyone had any suggestions I received the suggestion of a Lemon Celebration Cake – and I adore lemon drizzle cake – but I decided to do a variation on this for a bit more of a show! (Don’t worry though, I will post my Drizzle cake recipe soon also!)

This cake ended up being a hybrid of a Victoria Sponge into something super lemony and heavenly – and its delicious. I posted my recipe for my Lemon & Poppyseed Cake a while ago and had a big success with that one, so I hope you guys like this too!

Unlike my Victoria Sponge I decided to keep this as a 2 layer cake so that its easier for others to make if they only have two tins, and its easier to bake too anyway! The Drizzle aspect of this cake makes the sponge SO moist and utterly scrummy, and the buttercream gives it the light sweetness that is often craved with cake – delicious.

This cake serves 12!

Cake
– 350g Unsalted Butter/Stork
– 350g Caster Sugar
– 7 Medium Eggs
– 350g Self-Raising Flour
– Grated Zest of 2 Lemons
– 75ml Lemon Juice

Decoration
– 2-3tbsp Homemade Lemon Curd
– 200g Unsalted Butter, at Room Temperature
– 400g Icing Sugar
– 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice/2tsp Lemon Extract
– Spare Homemade Lemon Curd

1) To Bake the Cakes – Grease & Line two 8″/20cm Deep Cake Tins and Preheat your oven to 180C/160C Fan!

2) With a Stand Mixer using the Paddle Attachment, beat together the Butter & Caster Sugar until smooth – this will take a couples of minutes! Once combined add the Flour, Eggs, Lemon Zest and Lemon Juice and beat until combined – try not to over beat however!

3) Pour the mixture evenly into the two tins and bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean!

4) Once baked, leave the cakes to cool for 10 minutes and then remove from the tin and leave to cool completely!

5) To Decorate the Cake – Beat the Butter for a couple of minutes using the whisk attachment in a stand mixer – doing this will make it nice and smooth to add the sugar! Once smooth, start gradually adding the icing sugar until its all in, and add the lemon juice – beat for about 5 minutes on a  medium-high speed until super light and whipped!

6) Pipe some buttercream round the edge of the first cake, and then add the Lemon Curd into the middle. Place the other cake on top, and pipe on the rest of the buttercream. Drizzle on some spare lemon curd, and add some cute sprinkles and enjoy!

I updated this recipe in May 2017 – The original recipe was 250g of each ingredient, and 5 medium eggs, and the cake was baked for about 25 minutes.

You can add a lemon drizzle to the cakes as well by mixing 75ml of lemon juice with 75g of caster sugar, and drizzling over the hot baked cakes and leaving to cool.

This cake will last in an airtight container for 3-4 days – probably longer as it has so much moisture! I keep mine at room temperature, but sometimes I will keep it in the fridge if I am making it ahead of a party for example!

The layers are thick so if you wanted a more raised cake simply slice the two sponges in to two and have a 4 layer cake!

Enjoy!!

You can find my other Cake & Lemony Recipes on my Recipes Page!

• Emma
    May 16, 2021 at 9:26 pm

Do you think this would work in a 6 inch form but Cover the whole cake in the icing.? How would I work out measurements for cake ? Many thanks

• Paula Roberts
    May 5, 2021 at 7:20 pm

I love this recipe! I’ve seen your recipes for lemon and poppyseed cupcakes and the bundt cake. Do you think I could add poppyseeds to this recipe and if so, how much should I add? Thank you!

May 8, 2021 at 2:22 pm

Hello! Thank you so much. Yes you can, I would try adding 40g xx

• Paula Roberts
    May 5, 2021 at 2:07 pm

Hi Jane – I have made this cake loads of times and it always goes down really well! I wanted to ask if you think it would be ok if I added poppyseeds to it? I know you have a recipe for lemon and poppyseed cupcakes so I wondered if this one would be ok as well? If yes, what quantity would you recommend? Thank you!

• Rachel
    April 22, 2021 at 6:51 am

Hi Jane, if I was to make this as a top tier of a cake in a 6 inch pan 3 layers, what quantities of ingredients would you suggest.
    Thanks for your help, love your bakes.

April 26, 2021 at 1:48 pm

A 6 inch of a cake is usually 2/3rds of an 8 inch cake x

• Hannnah
    April 18, 2021 at 9:40 pm

Hello, was just wondering how I could make this into a lemon and lime cake ? Would I just replace the lemon Zest with lime Zest and keep the lemon juice? Or replace one Zest? Or is there a better way? Thanks 🙂

April 19, 2021 at 5:17 pm

Hey! Either of these would work!xx

• Chloe
    April 7, 2021 at 8:51 pm

Hi Jane. Love this recipe! If I was to do a drip cake with this using lemon flavoured white icing for the drip, what quantities would you suggest would be enough to cover the cake and make the drip effect? Thanks in advance! X

• Laura
    April 6, 2021 at 1:04 pm

I’m going to make this at the weekend for my mums birthday, I’m going to slice the cakes in half to create four layers and would like to buttercream the whole thing to create a drip cake. What quantity of buttercream would I need to cover and fill it?
    Thanks x

April 6, 2021 at 1:28 pm

Hey! At a guess, at least double if not double and a half. You can always freeze the left overs!xx

• Laura
      April 6, 2021 at 3:55 pm

Perfect! Thanks for your quick response x

• Tracey murdoch
    March 28, 2021 at 9:31 pm

Hi Jane I love and always use your recipes when baking 😋😋 , I’m making a piggy bank cake and wondered if this recipe would work in a 8 inch sphere tin ? Or should I do a smaller amount , If so would I still cook it for 30 – 40 minutes , thank you for sharing your amazing recipes with us all x

March 29, 2021 at 2:33 pm

Hello! Unfortunately I have never made a sphere cake so I am unsure of this! x

• Lauren Baillie
    March 19, 2021 at 11:10 am

Just wondering what measurement I would use for a 9″ cake just 2 layers.

March 27, 2021 at 1:55 pm

Hiya! Increase the recipe by a third and this should work!x

• Vanessa Maria
    March 16, 2021 at 8:41 pm

This recipe looks incredible!
    When using the 400g/8 egg method for 3 tiers, how much zest and lemon juice will I need?

March 23, 2021 at 3:25 pm

I would double it personally because I love it super lemony!

• Rachel Lees
    March 12, 2021 at 12:13 am

Hello
    I’ve been asked to make a lemon drizzle celebration cake with fondant icing as well as buttercream, do you think this receipe would work if I had a thin layer of buttercream and then fondant icing? Thanks!! X

March 12, 2021 at 8:29 am

It should do – I would chill the sponge well before topping with fondant!

• Sarah
    March 4, 2021 at 4:23 pm

I was looking at your lemon drizzle cupcakes and seeing if I could make a celebration cake version, then I found this recipe which is perfect! Do you think it would still be yummy/lemony without the lemon curd and I just used the buttercream?

March 6, 2021 at 7:09 pm

Yeah definitely still be delicious without!

• Amina
    February 20, 2021 at 11:34 am

You probably won’t see this Jane but thank you so much!!! I made this cake for my dads birthday alongside your cream cheese frosting recipe and it turned out so beautiful. The sponges were lovely, soft, fluffy and beautifully flavoured and the cream cheese frosting was a dream to make and eat. If anyone is considering making this cake. Do it! I can always count on you Jane 💓💓

• Chloe
    February 7, 2021 at 8:50 pm

Hello, please can you tell me what ingredients I need to use to make the same cake but gluten free. Thanks x

February 11, 2021 at 8:40 am

You can swap the flour to gluten free alternative, and add xantham gum if the flour doesn’t already have some in it! x

• Chris
    February 1, 2021 at 6:57 pm

Hi Jane!
    I’m thinking of making this for a friends birthday and was considering using a white chocolate ganache to cover and fill instead of buttercream. Do you perhaps have a rough idea of how much I would need to make? I was thinking of doing 1.5x the weight of the buttercream?
    Thanks 😊 xx

February 2, 2021 at 8:17 pm

Hiya! Oh that sounds lovely. Yes I would say at least 1.5x!

• Emma Vaughan
    February 1, 2021 at 12:56 am

Made this for my sons birthday last week and found the cake quite dense and heavy (still tasted nice!!). What am I doing wrong?!

February 1, 2021 at 10:03 am

It could be a few things – how did you mix it? Sometimes dense cakes are because they are under baked as well!

• Trina
    January 26, 2021 at 9:05 am

Hi Jane, what would the baking time be if I was to split the same amount of mix into 3 tins instead?

January 27, 2021 at 8:11 pm

Honestly I am not sure – but I would say 25-30 minutes! x

• Anisha
    January 23, 2021 at 3:04 pm

Hi Jane. Your recipes are great and I have loved everything I have baked thanks to you. I would like to make this cake but I have 2 20cm sandwich tins. Would this recipe still work? Also I would like to cover the cake with lemon buttercream. What quantities would I need?

January 24, 2021 at 8:47 pm

I would say the tins could be a bit thin as some sandwich tins are REALLY thin, but it’s hard to say! I would reduce down to 250g butter/sugar/flour and 5 medium eggs. If you are worried you could reduce the ingredients slightly! Buttercream wise I would use 1.5x x

• Trina
    January 23, 2021 at 2:54 pm

Hi Jane, I love your recipes! I was wondering if it was possible to use the same measurements but split it into 3 8″ cake tins instead? So it would make a 3 tier cake. If so, what would the cooking time be?

• Katie Beal
    December 7, 2020 at 8:26 pm

This is the best lemon cake I’ve ever made! I’ve made it twice as it was so amazing! Lovely thick sponges and so moist. Definitely a favourite of mine now!

• Farhana
    November 27, 2020 at 12:16 am

I want to make this in x3 8inch sandwich tins, would you be able to tell me the quantities and how long they need in the oven please?

November 27, 2020 at 11:27 am

I usually use a 400g/8 egg mix and split between three tins, and bake for about 30 minutes!

• Nicola
    October 24, 2020 at 3:53 pm

Hi Jane, I am planning on baking your original recipe of the lemon cake (250g of each of the ingredients). Can I still use 75ml lemon juice and grated zest of 2 lemons to put in the cake mix the same as for the deeper cake (350g) or will I need to reduce the quantity of both juice and zest for the 250g cake?

October 27, 2020 at 4:36 pm

I would reduce it personally – the zest is fine and I wouldn’t bother with the juice x

• Mia
    October 23, 2020 at 1:55 am

Planning to make this cake for my Grandmothers birthday but just a quick question: the lemon drizzle you talk about in the notes section … do you mean that I should put this on the sponges to add more flavour or to drip on top as well as the cure?

October 23, 2020 at 9:01 am

This is a drizzle to add onto the sponges as they have come out of the oven!

• Jemima Christmas
    October 21, 2020 at 7:22 pm

Hey Jane. How could I convert this sponge into a 3 layer 6 inch cake please?

October 22, 2020 at 7:50 pm

You should be able to split the mix as it is between three 6″ tins, or reduce the mix down to a 300g mix! x

• Chelsey
    October 9, 2020 at 2:09 pm

Hey! Bit of a random one.. I can see your notes say the layers are thick, are you able to say roughly how thick each layer is please in cm? Im just trying to decide how tall it will be or if to add another layer that’s all. Thanks! X

October 9, 2020 at 3:59 pm

I would say they are about 1.5/2″ deep, so 4-5cm maybe?! xx

• Georgia Severs
    September 22, 2020 at 9:29 am

Hi Jane! Would I be able to put this recipe in 10 inch tins and just have thinner layers? Thank you 🙂

September 22, 2020 at 11:56 am

Personally I wouldn’t say so – a 10″ is about 2/3 bigger in volume so the layers would be extremely thin – I would recommend increasing the recipe x

• RB
    September 12, 2020 at 10:33 am

I want to make just 1 layer of the cake therefore I know I need to use half the quantity of the recipe. I was woundering will the timing to bake the cake still be the same?…..Also I know you add lemon juice on the cake but if I wanted to add the lemon drizzle as well how much do I give, is it half again and will that be too much lemon juice as there will be some on the cake mix already?…I want the cake to be moist. I saw your lemon loaf cake recipe and you mentioned to see this recipe as I want it to be a round or square cake. Thanks

September 12, 2020 at 10:47 am

For one layer I would use 150g butter/sugar/flour/3 medium eggs, and the zest of 1 lemon – wouldn’t bother with the juice – baking time will be about the same or just a smidge less! And then anything you add on top will be half the amount as well. x

• Chloe
    August 7, 2020 at 12:44 pm

Hi Jane, I’m wanting to make this cake using two 8 inch x 4 inch deep tins. I was thinking of doubling the cake mix and fillIng the tins 3/4 full but unsure on how long they would need to bake for in the deeper tins. What would you recommend?

August 7, 2020 at 3:16 pm

Unfortunately I’m not sure as I don’t often bake very deep cakes – sorry!!

• chloe
    July 30, 2020 at 11:32 pm

Thank you for reccomending this recipe (I asked about the round tin for the load version) question, can you tell there is zest in the sponge? I have a brother who doesn’t like bits like zest, but when I tried a recipe without zest and just an extract it didn’t taste lemony. any advice please? do you think with zest is best? x

July 31, 2020 at 9:36 am

I always think that zest should be as finely grated as possible, and then when it is you can’t feel the texture! I think zest is definitely better, or just use more extract xx

• Amina
      August 5, 2020 at 8:03 pm

Hi Jane. I am going to make this cake, and I am not going to be adding buttercream to the outside or filling. Will the curd just spill out the side or shall I leave the curd to set and thicken in the fridge before applying to the cake?

August 5, 2020 at 9:25 pm

The curd may always be a bit soft, but otherwise it should be okay if you don’t add too much or spread it too far to the sides!

• Nishat
    July 16, 2020 at 12:54 pm

Hi Jane, this recipe is just what I was looking for! I just wondered if I could make the cakes ahead of time, freeze them for a couple of days and then get them out to decorate and serve? Will the cakes be OK if I do this? Do you think they will taste fresh?

July 16, 2020 at 9:16 pm

Hey! Yes that should be okay – generally I find fresh cakes best, but freezing sponges is fine! x

• Sadie
    July 10, 2020 at 12:44 pm

Hi! I’ve previously made this cake but just as the 2 layer, i want to make it into a good 3 layers for my birthday without splitting the mixture between 3 tins or slicing the 2 layers in half. Can you reccomend the measurements for 3 layers please? I think my cake tins are 7.5″! Thanks!

July 10, 2020 at 3:18 pm

Generally for my three layer cakes I use a 400g/8 egg mix and split between three 8″ tins so it may be the best quantities for your 7.5 tins!

• Marie
    July 7, 2020 at 9:11 pm

Hi Jane! How much ingredients would I need to make this cake in 2 6” cake tins and cut them into 4? Thank you!!!! Love your recipes

July 8, 2020 at 7:10 pm

I would use 2/3 of the recipe roughly, and then bake and split! x

• Emma
    June 29, 2020 at 11:33 am

Hi Jane I wanted to make this cake but as a naked buttercream round the edge would I just double the amount of buttercream?
    Also I would like to do 3 layers instead of just 2 but I don’t want them as thick what size tin and quantity’s would I use?
    Love your recipes they always turn out amazing!

June 29, 2020 at 7:31 pm

Hey! So you could use the mix as it is, but split between three tins and bake for less time, and then yes I would double the buttercream! X

• Kate
    June 22, 2020 at 2:58 pm

Hi Jane i have been asked to make a lemon cake or a Victoria sponge cake for a wake next Tuesday. I only have one 20cm cake tin but I have 2 24cm cake tins. If I was to use the 24cm ones how much would you increase the ingredients by please? Thank you for all your lovely receipts I have only recently got into baking and you make it so easy to follow and everything tastes amazing!

June 23, 2020 at 7:44 pm

Hey!! You would use 1.4x the recipe – so instead of 350g, I would use about 500g (10 medium eggs!) X

• Michelle
    June 19, 2020 at 1:49 pm

Hello, please can I ask how you get the lemon curd to drip? Sorry If that sounds silly. I’m just getting into baking and love your recipes but not sure how to get this to drip?

June 19, 2020 at 7:43 pm

Hey! I just mix the lemon curd slightly to loosen it, add it to a piping bag and drizzle!

• Lisa
    June 11, 2020 at 4:13 pm

hi Jane love the sound of this cake but how would I make this into a coconut and lemon cake

• Anika
    June 2, 2020 at 11:59 pm

Hey Jane, cake looks delicious 😋, I’m excited to bake it next week for my mums bday. What technique and piping nozzle did you use to achieve the look on the top. I’m not a very skilled piper so do you have any easier techniques I could use to decorate the top. (Yours looks very difficult).

June 3, 2020 at 10:45 am

I use a 2d closed star piping tip – it’s not as difficult as it looks, but you just need to make sure your buttercream is made correctly (butter, not a spread) and maybe practice onto a plate first!!

• Lisa
      June 11, 2020 at 6:45 pm

• Kathryn
    June 1, 2020 at 2:03 pm

I made this over the weekend and it is delicious! We particularly liked the lemon curd on it. Thanks for the recipe!

• Becky
    May 26, 2020 at 10:11 pm

Hey! Another fab recipe!!! Could you split the same amount into three tins and just have thinner layers or would that ruin the recipe??

May 27, 2020 at 6:39 pm

Ahh thank you! I usually make a 400g/8 egg mix for three layers, but this should be enough for the three if you want it! x

• Andrea
    May 21, 2020 at 1:53 pm

I’ve made this recipe a few times but I wanted to use it as a basis for a lemon drip cake with the lemon curd being used as the drip. I’m just wondering, is the lemon curd on its own sufficient for the drip? Or would I need to add something to it?

Thanks!

May 21, 2020 at 4:09 pm

Hiya! So this will depend entirely on the lemon curd itself – I’ve used lemon curd before for a drip, and it sorta worked. I just mixed it in a bowl to loosen it somewhat and then used a piping bag. Alternatively, you could use a white chocolate drip and colour it yellow!

• Ellie Coulton
    May 18, 2020 at 12:28 pm

Hello Jane, I’m planning on making a smaller version of this cake with a 17cm cake tin rather than the 20cm, how would you adapt this and other recipes for this tin?
    Thanks in advance x

• Duncan Barnes
    May 16, 2020 at 3:13 pm

This cake looks amazing!
    I am a complete cake making novice and would love to have a go at making this delicious looking lemon cake. Unfortunately, I only have a 9″ round silicone baking tin. How would I need to adjust the ingredients and cooking time to allow me to make one thick cake that could be cut in half to make a two layered cake?
    Many thanks.

May 19, 2020 at 3:00 pm

Hey! Thank you so much! Okay so I rarely bake in silicone cake tins in all honesty – but my guess would be that it would work, but it would be better to lower the temperature somewhat (to about 140c for a fan oven) and bake for longer to make sure the cake stays moist! Sometimes a deep 10″ cake can take up to two hours to bake at this temperature, but it’s worth it! x

• Charlotte
    May 15, 2020 at 11:49 am

I absolutely adore lemon cake so I’m really looking forward to try this. I’ve probably missed it but just wondering what size/depth of the tins you used for this?

May 15, 2020 at 1:26 pm

I always put my tin sizes in the first step of the method! These are 8″ cake tins! And just in general all cake tins I use happen to be at least 3″ deep x

• Stacey
    May 10, 2020 at 6:35 pm

Hi Jane, if I was to do this for a 3-tiered cake what would the quantities be? Thanks so much!

May 10, 2020 at 7:27 pm

Easiest way is to add on another half of the recipe, and then bake into three tins!

• Sam
    May 7, 2020 at 11:34 am

Hi Jane.

I’m looking at making this next week, but wandered how much I would need to alter the recipe for a bigger tin? I used the conversion link from a previous post but it doesn’t actually bring up any new qtys!

May 7, 2020 at 1:21 pm

Hiya – I’m not sure what you mean by the conversion link?

• Emma
    April 28, 2020 at 2:29 pm

Hi,
    What would the quantity of larges eggs be for this recipe as I have no medium eggs, only large?
    Also would the buttercream work if I added lime juice instead to make it a lemon and lime flavoured cake? X

April 28, 2020 at 2:46 pm

For this I would use 6 large – and yes you can indeed use lime!

• Charlotte
    April 24, 2020 at 5:23 pm

This cake looks amazing!
    I am planning on making it for a birthday but splitting the 2 deep layers in half to have 4 layers and have buttercream around the sides as well as on top and in between layers. How much icing sugar/ butter would I need to do this?
    Thank you!

April 24, 2020 at 5:34 pm

I would double the mix but be careful not to add too much liquid so it can hold up around the sides! x

• Hannah clarke
    April 22, 2020 at 11:02 pm

Hello i love your cakes and would love to follow your lemon celebration cake recipe . .. only I can’t get hold of any self raising flour at the moment. I have heard you can add 1 tsp of baking powder to ever 150g of plain flour to create the same effect. Would this work okay with your recipe? Or is there something else you could recommend? Thanks 🙂

April 23, 2020 at 9:01 am

It’s 2 level tsps, per 150g of plain flour, whisked in before adding to a recipe!

• Kim
    April 19, 2020 at 11:47 am

I am looking to make a lemon cake similar to this one but I want to buttercream the outside of it. Would you recommend a lemon buttercream or just a normal one?

April 19, 2020 at 12:42 pm

I would generally recommend a plain buttercream without any liquid added so it’ll hold up – but you could easily add in lemon flavouring as there’s a lot less liquid that way!

• Megan Clarke
    April 13, 2020 at 5:56 pm

Hi Jane, I love all your recipes but this just didn’t work for me! I followed the recipe word for word but instead of using 2 tins, I used 1 and thought I would split in half. It came out and it was so so flat and had not risen at all. It would have been impossible to cut in half. I had to them bake again so had to use all ingredients again to get another layer. Really disappointed 🙁

April 13, 2020 at 8:13 pm

It’s because you did it in one tin. The recipe is designed for two. When baking a deep cake, I wouldn’t use the lemon juice in the sponge, I would bake at a lower temp, and it takes a much much longer time.

• […] “lemon and raspberry” cake recipes on Pinterest, but I decided to go with a recipe from Janes Patisserie, primarily because the recipe made 2 layers. Most fancy cake recipes make 3 layers, and we really […]

• Alice
    February 28, 2020 at 3:21 pm

This sounds like a brilliant option for my Gran’s 95th birthday cake. I was going to add in some blueberries to the mix- do you think this would work?

Love reading your recipes, thank you!

February 28, 2020 at 6:03 pm

Have a look at my lemon & blueberry cake and go from there! x

• Jessica
    February 11, 2020 at 4:44 am

Could I split the mixture into three 6 inch cake tins instead? (And bake for slightly less) Or would I need to alter the quantities?
    Looks delicious! I’ve made your lemon curd a few times- never lasts long so would love to have a go at this cake too!

• Kathryn
    January 24, 2020 at 11:36 am

Would this cake hold up to fondant decorations on top? It won’t be covered in fondant but rather a Swiss meringue buttercream with fondant dec’s on top.

January 24, 2020 at 12:41 pm

I don’t see why not – generally for me though I always use a madeira style when covering as it does make it firmer and easier. Probably best to chill the sponges first so they are firmer!

• sharon barber
    October 20, 2019 at 8:57 pm

Hi Jane, I’m looking to bake a 3 tier lemon semi naked sponge for my nieces birthday. Is this recipe suitable for stacking?

• Lou | Crumbs and Corkscrews
    August 11, 2019 at 5:15 pm

This looks beautiful; the layers are perfect and I love the zesty lemon curd filling. I could really go for a slice right now.

August 11, 2019 at 9:08 pm

Thank you so much, Lou! It would go perfectly with your Gin Lemon Curd!

• Hannah
    June 16, 2019 at 10:58 am

Hi,
    I’m looking to make a wedding cake for a friend, but need would need it to be a 10inch, 3 layer cake, is this recipe able to be adapted to this?
    Also it will be the bottom tier with a vegan cake on top, is the cake sturdy enough to do this? (I am using dowels)

June 16, 2019 at 8:45 pm

It would work as a 10″! I usually use 1.6x a recipe for a 10″ – If the cake is dowelled correctly it should be fine anyway – but if you’re unsure you could make a madeira type lemon sponge for the bottom instead so there’s no slipping!

• Kelly
    April 19, 2019 at 9:56 am

Made this for my Mums birthday earlier this week – so lemony. Made it as two tiers; lovely deep cake. I bought a very good quality lemon curd as an alternative to homemade. Love your recipes, thank you.

• Jane
    September 25, 2018 at 11:15 pm

Looking to make a lemon cake for my son’s birthday, and this looks perfect. I would want to put buttercream all over the cake not just the top, is this recipe ok for that?

• Eloise
    August 24, 2018 at 8:47 pm

Hi there I was just wondering if this recipe could be changed into a vanilla cake? Just swapping the lemon juice/zest and adding vanilla extract, do you think this would work? I am making 2 cakes in the shape of numbers and this recipe worked perfectly for one but I want one of them to be vanilla 🤗 absolutely love your recipes!

August 25, 2018 at 8:46 am

Yeah it would work!! And thank you! x

• Eloise
      August 25, 2018 at 3:36 pm

Perfect thank you! How much vanilla extract would you recommend using please?

• Eloise
      August 25, 2018 at 5:26 pm

Perfect thank you! How much vanilla essence would you recommend using please?

August 25, 2018 at 9:12 pm

Maybe 1tsp for the sponge, and 1tsp for the frosting?!

• Lynne
    July 29, 2018 at 8:12 pm

Great video! One question….when you beat in your icing sugar into the butter…how the hell do you not end up in a cloud of icing sugar which then covers your whole kitchen?!?!?! 🤔That’s what happens in my world! 🙄😆

July 29, 2018 at 9:18 pm

I use Tate & Lyle icing sugar where the sugar cloud doesn’t exist! It uses an anti caking agent in it (very small amount) but enough to not cause a cloud!! X

• Lynne
      July 30, 2018 at 8:52 am

👍🏻

• Olivia
    May 25, 2018 at 4:52 pm

Hey the recipe looks fab! Just wondering if this cake would be suitable for decorating with fondant or should I go for a madeira instead

May 26, 2018 at 9:39 am

Hiya! Personally I always go for a madeira type sponge. You could still use this, but add in 75g of plain flour to make it more madeira like and therefore firmer. x

• Garfield
    April 7, 2018 at 3:08 pm

Thank you for recipe everyone loved it, I finished it of with some homemade candied primroses

• Olivia
      May 25, 2018 at 4:48 pm

Hey the recipe looks amazing! just wondering if this would be suitable for decorating with fondant or would a denser cake like Madeira be better

• Kerri Howe
    March 5, 2018 at 10:08 am

Hi Jane. Looking at this recipe for a tier on my brothers wedding cake. How many layers of cake would you recommend. 2 or 3? And Can poppy seeds be added, and can it be made ahead and frozen until I’m ready to use. Thankyou… Your page was the first one I came to for a recipe will be looking at your other recipies too for the other tiers. Carrot, choc fudge and vanilla xxx

March 5, 2018 at 1:51 pm

For a wedding cake I usually do three layers of sponge to make the depth enough to wow, and yes poppyseeds can be added. Make sure to wrap the cake fully and well in cling film and then foil before freezing and it’ll be dandy! x

• Amy
    November 3, 2017 at 6:08 am

Hi Jane, I assume the recipe works just as well with orange instead of lemon zest? I would like to use the sponges as part of a giant Jaffa cake I want to make! Thank you!

November 3, 2017 at 7:44 am

Yesss it does! I’ve made it before with an orange theme and it was yummy 😍

• Clare Smith
    October 20, 2017 at 4:22 pm

Make made this cake as the two tiers for my first wedding cake. Its an awesome tasting cake and a fail safe. Many thsnks for your recipe and inspiration

• Hannah
    August 13, 2017 at 9:42 pm

Made this for my husband for his birthday and it went down a treat with him and the family. The sponge was so light and fresh. Will be making this again for sure!

• Paula Roberts
    February 28, 2017 at 10:32 am

Hi Jane- I really want to make this for a birthday cake for my friend but I would need to make it bigger, maybe a 23cm tin. Do you have any tips on how much I should increase the recipe by or should I just give it a go and see?! Can’t wait to try it! Thanks, Paula

• Speckled Egg Pinata Cake | lifewithaslice
    March 27, 2016 at 6:32 pm

[…] thought this would be light and sweet for the beginning of spring. I based my bake on this recipe: https://www.janespatisserie.com/2015/08/05/lemon-celebration-cake/ but please read on to see how I tweaked and added to it, to make my Speckled Egg Piñata […]

• Sam
    October 13, 2015 at 9:43 pm

After making your lemon and lime drizzle cake on Friday which was heavenly, I made this on Sunday….. Another fabulous delicious lemony wonder

October 13, 2015 at 9:53 pm

Hahah so much lemony love! ❤️ thank you for baking them! X

• eibhlsbakes
    August 9, 2015 at 9:43 am

I made this yesterday for my friend. I *may* have added limoncello to the syrup and the butterceam… It went down well at the party. Thanks for the recipe! (now to find more recipes to use up all the lemon curd I made!)

August 9, 2015 at 7:20 pm

Ooh that sounds lovely! 🙂 thank you for making it!

• Lynz Real Cooking
    August 8, 2015 at 2:07 pm

Very nice Jane! I have tried a few of your recipes and they are lovely! Stop by and visit me at lynzrealcooking! My favorite so far is the no bake chocolate cheesecake!

August 8, 2015 at 6:36 pm

Thank you! I love the chocolate cheesecake, so so yummy! 🙂

• […] Lemon Celebration Cake!. […]

• abbiosbiston
    August 8, 2015 at 8:16 am

So classic. An absolute beauty!

• SweetRevelations
    August 7, 2015 at 12:59 pm

This looks great! Going to try it!

• vannillarock
    August 6, 2015 at 6:01 pm

A classic. To make it more adult I use a gin based sugar syrup.

August 6, 2015 at 7:49 pm

I really want to try a Gin & tonic cake soon so mixing it with this sounds ideal ? haha thanks!

• Sari
    August 6, 2015 at 12:01 am

I’m not that into lemon cakes that this looks just too delicious, literally wish I could get a piece!

• heytherestacey
    August 5, 2015 at 5:33 pm

This looks delicious! Lemon is the best 🙂

• Zara
    August 5, 2015 at 3:57 pm

Wow
    i am definetly gonna try it 😀

• Tanushree Ghosh
    August 5, 2015 at 10:24 am

WOW! Absolutely amazing…

• eibhlsbakes
    August 5, 2015 at 10:13 am

This couldn’t have come at a better time! My friend has requested a lemony cake for her birthday on Saturday. I’m looking forward to giving this one a go! (ps. Joining in with the Bake Off excitement too!)

August 5, 2015 at 10:15 am

Ohh YAY! Haha I’m so glad to have helped out there 😉 and yes maybe counting down the hours is a bit too excited?!

• Roberta Briffa
    August 5, 2015 at 10:10 am

Am loving the look and sound of this recipe and your blog! I love baking with lemons too. Your cake looks beautiful.

August 5, 2015 at 10:15 am

Thank you so much Roberta! 🙂 Thats so lovely of you to say! 🙂

• Claire | Art and Soul
    August 5, 2015 at 10:05 am

Lovely! A nerdy question: do you use lined sandwich tins or springform tins? I ask because I recently made a sandwich cake and the edges were rather irregular thanks to the folds in the baking paper around the rim of the tin. Your cakes have such lovely smooth sides – are you just brilliant at lining tins and I’m doing it wrong? 🙂

SO excited about Bake Off being back tonight! 🙂

August 5, 2015 at 10:09 am

Thank you! I tend to use just a circle of parchment on the bottom for like a victoria sponge as they tend to peel away from the edges themselves – but with some cakes I will make a separate strip the depth of the tin and wrap it round that way so its flat against the sides! And I 95% of the time use a springform so its easier anyway! 🙂 (If that makes any sense…)
      And ME TOO! 😀

• Claire | Art and Soul
      August 5, 2015 at 11:09 am

That makes sense! Thanks! I think I’ll try the separate strip of paper next time… 🙂

• cherZie|inthefoodlab
    August 5, 2015 at 10:04 am

I’m not a big fan of sponge cakes, but yours look absolutely delicious, the sponge looks to be fluffy light and moist! Would love a bite now!

August 5, 2015 at 10:07 am

Aww thank you! This one is lovely and moist so it makes a nice change to normal ones! 😛

• Hannah