Lemon & Blueberry Blondies!

Deliciously Sweet, Light, Lemon & Blueberry Blondies with White Chocolate Chunks!

So… yep, THESE ARE THE BEST. I am honestly astounded at how much I love these, and I am sure you will all love them as well. Think a gooey and delicious Lemon flavoured Blondie, with White Chocolate Chunks, and some fresh blueberries… my idea of heaven. I am Lemon & Blueberry obsessed as it is, so in a ~basicallywhitechocolatebrownie~its HEAVEN.

This recipe is basically based exactly on my White Chocolate & Raspberry Blondies, and White Chocolate & Pistachio Blondies and I’m not ashamed of that. It’s a recipe that works for me, and I have seen so many of you bake them as well that I couldn’t resist! Why mess with something that actually works?!

Blondies, if you haven’t heard of them, are basically what is considered a white chocolate brownie. The idea is that a regular brownie usually has a base of dark chocolate, like mine do, or cocoa powder which is what makes them into a brownie. You’d think that you would want these to have a white chocolate base, and I have tried recipes like this, but I wasn’t a fan.

I much preferred just making it more of cake mixture style Blondie, and adding in oodles of white chocolate. It worked really well for the other recipes, so I am sticking with it! I obviously had to make this Lemon flavoured however so I thought lemon zest would be best. You can easily use lemon extract if you prefer (two teaspoons)!

For these I used fresh blueberries, but they would still work with frozen. Frozen berries can often give out more liquid than fresh due to thawing, but they still work dandy when baked enough! They give a pop of colour in every slice, and just taste completely and utterly delicious. Obviously, if fruit isn’t your thing, then these wont be for you… but you could always just use the lemon, or just the blueberries with the white chocolate!

I obviously went a little further with the decoration because I am me after all… but thats that. You don’t have to drizzle white chocolate on the top, but why wouldn’t you want more chocolate in your life?!

If you love the taste of Lemon and Blueberry together like these Lemon & Blueberry Blondies.. you might love my Lemon & Blueberry Cake, and my Lemon & Blueberry Cheesecake! Enjoy! x

Lemon & Blueberry Blondies!

4.7 from 10 votes
Category: Dessert
Type: Blondies
Total Time: 50 minutes
Servings: 16 Pieces

• 250 g Unsalted Butter
  • 250 g Caster Sugar
  • 3 Large Eggs
  • 200 g Plain Flour
  • Zest of 2 Lemons
  • 250 g White Chocolate Chips
  • 200 g Blueberries
  • 100 g White Chocolate (melted)
  • Sprinkles

• Preheat your oven to 180C/160C Fan, and grease and line a 9x9inch Square Tin - leave to the side for now.
  • Melt the Butter in the microwave, or in a pan, and stir till smooth. Leave to cool slightly on the side.
  • Using an electric whisk/stand mixer, whisk together the Eggs and Caster Sugar for a good 3-4 minutes or longer, until it has become much thicker, mousse like, paler, and basically doubled in volume.
  • You will know its done when when you lift the whisk up, it will leave a trail on the top of the mixture  for a couple of seconds before sinking back in.
  • Once whisked up, continue whisking but gradually pour in the butter. Don't pour it in too quickly or the mixture will split.
  • Once all whisked in. Add in the Flour and Lemon Zest and fold together. Add in the White Chocolate Chips, and half of the Blueberries and fold again.
  • Pour into the tin, and sprinkle on the rest of the Blueberries.
  • Bake in the oven for 35-45 minutes, or until its baked through. Sometimes it can take longer due to some ovens, and if you have actually whisked it up enough in the first place.
  • Once baked, leave to cool in the tin.
  • Once cooled, remove from the tin and drizzle over the 100g of melted chocolate for decoration, and some sprinkles to boot! Leave to set and but up into your squares.

• Sometimes Brownies & Blondies and such can take a while to bake, for some random reason… so if at 35-45 minutes yours isn’t baked through fully, cover the top with foil to prevent burning and continue to bake till done!
  • I have never tried this with frozen berries, and I’m not sure if it would work or not because of the moisture content. However, I seriously would recommend to NOT add any more blueberries then specified as moisture is released from normal blueberries as well, and the Blondies might not bake very well with any more!
  • The white chocolate chunks are entirely optional, but I just love the flavours of white chocolate and lemon together!
  • These will last in a container for up to 7 days!
Nutrition Facts
Lemon & Blueberry Blondies!
Amount Per Serving
Sugar 30g33%
Protein 4g8%
Vitamin A 459IU9%
Vitamin C 1mg1%
Calcium 56mg6%
Iron 1mg6%
* These are only estimates and can vary dependant on brands of ingredients and serving sizes.

Find my other Blondie Recipes on my Recipes Page!

© Jane’s Patisserie. All images & content are copyright protected. Do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.

• Stacey
    November 7, 2020 at 5:56 pm

Is it possible to make the Blondies with lemon curd swirled through?

Thanks!

November 8, 2020 at 10:38 am

Yeah I’m sure that would be okay – the mixture can be reasonably soft though, so one of my other blondie mixtures may be better as it’s thicker! x

• Shannon
    August 31, 2020 at 5:03 pm

Hi Jane, my choc chips and blueberries sunk straight to the bottom (making the top a tittle plain and the bottom wet!) I was wondering why this was? Do you think I should have whisked more or less at the beginning?
    Still very tasty but would be great to get right next time!

September 14, 2020 at 8:51 pm

If the mixture was too thin (meaning the mixture wasn’t whisked enough at the beginning or didn’t fold carefully enough) then that would be why – but generally it can happen with fruit. I wouldn’t say it’s the end of the world personally, but there’s a few things you can try differently such as flouring the blueberries, freezing the blueberries, sprinkling them on part way through baking etc!

• Laura
    August 26, 2020 at 7:34 am

So having made these and absolutely loving them (With a g&t) I was thinking could you remove the blueberries and add gin to make a take on a g&t blondie?! Or am I being completely silly. Amazing as always Jane 🙂

August 26, 2020 at 12:10 pm

You could definitely remove the blueberries, but I wouldn’t add gin to the mix – it may be better to follow the idea of my G&T drizzle and soak some in after?

• Laura
      August 27, 2020 at 7:22 pm

You are wonderful. Thank you :o)

• Amanda
    August 25, 2020 at 7:06 pm

I was making lots of brownies and then the weather got hotter and I fancied something like a brownie that would just be a bit lighter and easier to eat when it was so hot! These were absolutely delicious! The lemon, blueberry and white chocolate just work so well together! Will definitely be making again x

• Nat
    August 9, 2020 at 4:05 pm

Hi Jane!

Thank you so much for your recipes, they’re absolutely amazing and easy to follow.

I do have a question about this one though. Not sure what happened to mine, but after 45 mins in the oven the blondies came out burnt on top and quite gooey inside. Is there a reason for this? Do you have any ideas?

August 13, 2020 at 2:44 pm

It can be a few things – but it may be worth trying to lower the temperature slightly, and then after 40 or so minutes, cover with foil and continue to bake if they need longer! x

• Louise O'Reilly
    August 3, 2020 at 11:20 am

Just a question. You use a different method for this blondie recipe compared to you other ones.. On your white chocolate and caramel blondie, you mix the butter with the sugar first but in this one, you the eggs a s sugar first. Is there a particular reason for this? Many thanks

August 3, 2020 at 12:09 pm

They are just two different methods – my white chocolate & raspberry, and my white chocolate & pistachio also use this method – people find they prefer one or the other! x

• Louise O'Reilly
      August 3, 2020 at 3:22 pm

Thank you for your reply Jane. Was also just wondering about the sugar you used in the recipe for this one. I dont have Caster sugar so could I just use granulated instead? And also the cornflour, is that not needed for this receipe? Thank you

August 3, 2020 at 6:35 pm

You can use granulated, it’s just much easier to get the mousse texture with the caster!! And no it’s not!

• Victoria
    July 22, 2020 at 5:50 pm

Hi
    I’m new to your page so these are the first thing I’m going to try however, my tin is 8 inches square rather than the 9 inch specified.
    Will it be ok with that tin and would the recipe/cooking time need adjusting please?

Many thanks

July 22, 2020 at 7:08 pm

So it’s about 1/5 smaller in volume, so as they will be deeper they can take longer to bake! x

• Jenn
    July 17, 2020 at 4:47 pm

How do you know when they’re done? Xx

July 17, 2020 at 7:38 pm

A skewer will come out clean/mostly clean with a few crumbs – and potentially a small wobble, but no raw batter.

• Hanna
    July 16, 2020 at 5:52 pm

I am making these this weekend but I am thinking about substituting the blueberries for raspberries. Would you make the recipe in the same way or would you alter any of the ingredients?

• Hanna
    July 16, 2020 at 3:47 pm

I am going to make these this weekend but I wondered about swapping the blueberries for raspberries.. Would you adjust the recipe in anyway to exchange the blueberries for raspberries?

July 16, 2020 at 9:12 pm

Hey! No they should be a straight swap so go ahead! x

• Chloe Richardson
    July 13, 2020 at 4:18 pm

Hey! Just wondering whether these can be made without the blueberries and if so what tweaks would you need to make to the recipe to sort this?

Thankyou!

July 13, 2020 at 7:52 pm

You could just remove them, and they may take less baking time!

• Craig
    July 8, 2020 at 4:20 pm

Can I use frozen blueberries?

• Leanne
    May 23, 2020 at 7:54 pm

Literally amazing, I’ve only just started baking in lockdown so I’m actually pretty useless however these were fool proof, I’m going to bake these for everyone, if you love lemon drizzle cake, and love chocolate, these are a game changer.

• Jessica
    May 11, 2020 at 8:38 pm

Really great recipe! I was just wanting to know do they need to be kept in the fridge once put in containers?

• Amelia
    May 3, 2020 at 10:15 pm

Honestly these are so good, I had to freeze half straight away otherwise I’d have devoured them all at once. Lemon, quite chocolate and blueberries what’s not to love? Another amazing bake, thank you!

• susie
    April 30, 2020 at 11:37 am

Such a good recipe, really yummy and easy to make! A real people pleaser x

• Sophie
    April 22, 2020 at 10:16 pm

Jane can you help me please. I baked these today and I would say they were more of a cake consistency than a brownie, what did I do wrong? Were they under done? Also do you have any tips for the blueberries that are at the bottom as they made my bottom soggy! Thankyou, I want to try again with some amendments

April 23, 2020 at 9:02 am

If they’re cakeier, they’re over done! Kinda like a brownie, less cooking time = the gooey! And you can try and coat the blueberries in a little flour if you want!

• Lindsay Clark
    October 27, 2019 at 8:01 am

I only recently discovered your blog and I’m so pleased I did. I baked a batch of these blondies for my son’s scout troop coffee morning. They went down an absolute storm and sold out in no time, I got lots of compliments for them. Loved how easy the recipe was and the result was perfect, thank you so much! I’ll definitely be giving more of your recipes a try.

• Harriet
    October 2, 2019 at 6:36 pm

Hi Jane!
    Absolutely LOVE these – so delicious and easy to make. I was hoping to batch cook them so I can keep a stash for emergencies – any tips on freezing them or is this not possible?
    Thank you!

• Em
    September 29, 2019 at 2:27 am

Do you have any way of making your Blondies gluten free? I have recently become gf but used to LOVE these Blondies!

September 29, 2019 at 8:11 am

Theoretically you can just straight swap to GF flour, but I would advise adding in a little xantham gum as well!

September 29, 2019 at 8:11 am

Theoretically, you can just straight swap to GF flour, but I would advise adding in a little xantham gum as well!

• Jen Cordt
    March 26, 2019 at 10:02 am

Hi, I really fancy trying this recipe as your blueberry and lemon sponge cake is delicious, just checking do you need to sift the flour before adding to the wet mixture?

March 26, 2019 at 10:34 am

I personally don’t bother a lot of the time x

• JellyBean
    August 3, 2018 at 7:29 am

Made these yesterday… Surprised how amazing these were… Beautifully moist and the blueberries in the cake looked amazing too… Never had a problem with every recipe I’ve done on this site…. I love it!!

• Laura
    July 19, 2018 at 6:04 pm

Where did you get your sprinkles from? I can’t find any for love nor money! 🙁

July 19, 2018 at 6:17 pm

They’re Cake Angels sprinkles which I think are sold in sainsburys and lakeland? x

• Laura Cowan
      July 19, 2018 at 6:28 pm

Ah fab will have a look there at the weekend! 🙂

• Martin Eggenton
    June 22, 2018 at 10:17 pm

I bake weekly for my friends and receive regular praise for my efforts. However, I have never received thanks as those when I baked this blondie recipe on 20/06/2018. I followed the recipe and baked for 40 minutes. The result was delicious. I have been instructed that I MUST bake this blondie again and soon! Thank you for your recipe. I’m looking forward to trying other recipes soon.

• Lynsey
      May 16, 2020 at 11:24 am

Hi Jane, I made these blondies today and the parts that cooked tasted delicious. My oven runs a little so o baked them on 160 for in the end around 55mins, but my middle still wouldn’t come out clean. Not sure if that’s meant to be the end result or whether I have gone wrong somewhere? Blondies and brownies are my nemesis because I am never quite sure at what stage I should take them out so they stay gooey but no undercooked. Any advice? X

May 20, 2020 at 8:55 pm

Hey!! So blondies/brownies are a lot of peoples nemesis unfortunately!! They can take longer for sure – and this can sometimes be down to being too heavy handed with the mix, or not whipping it up! The best thing to do is once it’s cooled, ‘set’ them in the fridge for a couple of hours and they firm up nicely!! x