A cupcake twist on a Classic Biscuit – the Custard Cream. Custard flavoured Cupcakes, Vanilla Custard Frosting, and a Custard Cream biscuit to boot! Amazing Custard Cream Cupcakes!

Cupcakes are what started my baking addiction, but before this all I used to eat was cookies, biscuits and cakes from the shop… this of course included the ‘Custard Cream’. I LOVE biscuits out of the packet, they’re built for being dunked into a hot drink and I will happily sit there an eat an entire packet of my favourite biscuit during a film. No judging.

I was asked by one of my most avid and lovely Readers to create a Custard Cream recipe, and I decided on Cupcakes as I love and adore them, and other people seem to love them too!

I used Custard Powder in my cupcakes as I wanted to have a hint of flavour there, and change the colour slightly so they don’t just look like Vanilla Cupcakes. (Not that there is anything wrong with the basic Vanilla Cupcake.. just my recipe for them out here) You can also use Custard Powder in the Frosting, but I prefer mine to be Vanilla for these!

They’re perfect for a Bake Sale, for an afternoon treat, or something to bake with your kids! Enjoy!

Recipe Updated June 2017!

This recipe makes 12 Cupcakes!

Cupcakes
– 150g Unsalted Butter
– 150g Golden Caster Sugar
– 3 Medium Eggs, beaten
– 125g Self Raising Flour
– 65g Custard Powder (I used Birds!)
– 50ml Whole Milk (optional – use if mixture very thick)

Buttercream
– 150g Unsalted Butter, room temperature
– 300g Icing Sugar
– 1/2tsp Vanilla Bean Extract
– 25g Custard Powder

Biscuits/Decoration
– Custard Creams
– Sprinkles

1) Line a Muffin Tray with 12 Cupcake/Muffin cases or a large tray with 12 Regular Iced Jems Baking Cups like I have and preheat your oven to 180C/160CFan.

2) Cream together the Butter & Sugar until light and fluffy with an electric stand mixer with the paddle attachment – add the Eggs, Flour and Custard Powder and beat again briefly so its all mixed together. It’ll be a bit thick, but this is when you add the milk and beat again till smooth!

3) Spoon into the cupcake cases evenly (about 2/3 full) and bake in the oven for 17-20 minutes until cooked through (use a skewer to test). Remove from the muffin tray and leave to cool fully on a wire rack!

4) To make the Frosting – Beat the butter till smooth and gradually add the Icing Sugar, custard powder and vanilla until all is in the mix. Beat again for 3-4 minutes until light & fluffy and smooth! If its too thick, add 1/2tbsp of Boiling Water at a time till smooth.

5) Decorate the cupcakes with your favourite piping tip, I used a 2D Closed Star Piping Tip, and add the biscuits! I sprinkle mine with a couple of chocolatey sprinkles so they have some colour and a bit more crunch!

I buy my Cupcakes Cases from Iced Jems – here!

These cupcakes will last 3 days in an airtight container at room temperature.

You don’t have to use custard powder in the cupcake mix, you can just use my Vanilla Cupcakes recipe – but I like the slight hint of the custard in the cupcake mix!

The original recipes ingredients were:
– 225g Unsalted Butter
– 225g Golden Caster Sugar
– 4 Medium Eggs, beaten
– 200g Self Raising Flour
– 1/2 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
– 100g Custard Powder (I used Birds!)
– 50ml Whole Milk
Follow the same recipe method, but it makes 14-16 cupcakes, and add the bicarbonate in with the flour!

Find my other Cupcake Recipes on my Recipes Page!

1. Chanelle Cooper on August 7, 2020 at 9:19 pm

I really want to try these but just make around 6?? What measurements would I need please??

• Jane's Patisserie on August 8, 2020 at 12:08 pm

The best thing to do is to bake 4 or 8 as its easiest to base it around the amount of eggs you use! x

• Chanelle Cooper on August 8, 2020 at 12:17 pm

This is going to sound really silly but what would all the measurements be for 4 and 8? As im not that good qt the measurement side to things. Thankyou!

2. Laura on July 14, 2020 at 11:23 am

This recipe looks amazing! But I only have large eggs. Can you use large eggs in this / how many should I use?

• Jane's Patisserie on July 14, 2020 at 5:25 pm

I would use 3 large, and make the rest of the ingredients 175g if that makes sense!

3. Cat Collinson on July 8, 2020 at 10:16 am

Loving all of your recipes! Just wondering how I could adapt this recipe to suit a gluten free diet? If I used gluten free self Raising flour would I need to make any alterations to the original recepie?
    Thanks :). X

• Jane's Patisserie on July 8, 2020 at 7:07 pm

So you would have to check every ingredient (custard creams aren’t gluten free so you’d need GF ones!) but otherwise that should be it! x

4. Rupa on June 6, 2020 at 11:14 am

Hi. What measurements wudl I need to use if I wanted to bake this as a cake rather than muffins and also how long should I bake it for please?

• Jane's Patisserie on June 6, 2020 at 12:00 pm

I usually say one batch of cupcakes like this is one layer of an 8″ cake – so double for a two-layer and split between two 8″ tins. Baking time is probably about 35 minutes!

5. Chloe on May 9, 2020 at 12:30 pm

Hi! Can you use normal caster sugar or does it have to be golden, also what is the difference? Thanks xx

• Jane's Patisserie on May 9, 2020 at 12:39 pm

Golden caster sugar is a more caramel flavour basically, but they are interchangeable!

6. Jessica on May 22, 2019 at 5:51 pm

Could I use either normal caster sugar or golden granulated sugar to replace golden caster sugar in the cupcakes?

7. Tobias on December 26, 2018 at 6:25 pm

How do you make moist cupcakes?
    I find that most that ive tasted are either caky crumbly or dry….
    And do you have tips on how to prolong the shelf life of cupcakes?
    Ive eaten lavender cupcakes before…and its my top choice eversince

• Jane's Patisserie on December 27, 2018 at 9:49 am

Don’t overbake, and store at room temperature, not in the fridge!

8. Chloe on September 20, 2018 at 7:44 pm

These look amazing, I think I will cook these for MacMillian Coffee Morning this Friday. Can I freeze the mixture uncooked?

• Jane's Patisserie on September 20, 2018 at 9:07 pm

I’m afraid I’ve never frozen cupcake mixture before baking, I’ve only ever put the cupcakes in the freezer (which is fine to do) x

9. […] from this […]

10. berrie on March 23, 2018 at 5:47 am

hi! just a question…..wont the frosting would have taste of uncooked custard powder or it would be fine….?

• Jane's Patisserie on March 24, 2018 at 4:32 pm

It tastes good, don’t worry! x

• Niki E on March 22, 2021 at 3:33 pm

I found the texture to feel a bit ‘powdery which I presume is due to the cornflour in the custard powder. Tastes lovely tho lol

11. Mel on March 17, 2018 at 8:44 am

Hi there,

Could I use your oil based vanilla cup cakes but add custard powder do you think?

I love the moistness of the oil recipe … best I’ve found!

Mel

• Jane's Patisserie on March 18, 2018 at 2:00 pm

Hiya! I’m not sure which recipe you are talking about but I’m sure it would still work!

12. Jordan on June 12, 2017 at 11:29 pm

How much custard powder for vanilla bean! Xx

• Jane's Patisserie on June 13, 2017 at 11:20 am

Hiya sorry I don’t understand?

• Jordan on June 14, 2017 at 4:49 pm

Thanks so much Jane!!! Can’t wait to make this! Would I be able to send u a picture of my creation ?

13. […] Cream cupcakes on Pinterest last week and just had to try them out. I found the recipe on the Jane’s Patisserie […]

14. Claire on February 17, 2017 at 10:47 am

Hi, I’ve just found your custard cream cakes and wanted to query are they fairy cake or muffin size please.

15. Sandra on January 12, 2017 at 8:21 pm

Too bad the US doesn’t have custard mix.Unless you go to a specialty shop where you massively overpay.
    Isn’t there a recipe for custard?

• Jane's Patisserie on January 13, 2017 at 4:09 pm

I live in the UK so I have access to it easily. Using actual custard wouldn’t have the same affect and would make a completely different bake.

• Tracy on February 3, 2017 at 7:54 pm

Hi just an update here, I was able to find Birds custard powder in the British section of my grocery store ,so I plan on trying these this weekend.

• Jackie on February 11, 2017 at 2:59 pm

You can find custard powder at middle eastern stores.

16. Tracy on January 12, 2017 at 7:29 pm

I’m not sure if I can find custard powder I live in Seattle Washington USA would there be a substitute I could use, maybe vanilla pudding powder?

• Jane's Patisserie on January 13, 2017 at 4:08 pm

I live in the UK so I have access to it – I wouldn’t know an American substitute I’m afraid. x

17. Custard Cupcakes | on January 11, 2017 at 10:05 pm

[…] thought about some other biscuits this would work with. Custard creams came to mind. I then found this recipe online, and decided to try it […]

18. Kimberley on September 7, 2016 at 9:21 pm

I’ve just discovered this, and I need to try! I might try and do the custard buttercream rather than cake flavour… Such a fabulous idea!!

19. H is for Home, Adelle on May 11, 2016 at 8:42 pm

I’ve tried making these this week – love them! 🙂

• Jane's Patisserie on May 12, 2016 at 11:31 am

Ahh I am so glad you liked them!! 🙂

20. H is for Home, Adelle on May 10, 2016 at 12:18 pm

These look great – I’m going to give them a try today! x

• Jane's Patisserie on May 10, 2016 at 10:12 pm

Aah thank you! I hope you love them! 🙂 x

21. Sweet Tuesdays | Custard Cream Madeleines – Knead to Dough on March 31, 2016 at 10:24 am

[…] them! Then a few weeks ago, the wonderful Jane of Jane’s Patisserie shared a recipe for Custard Cream Cupcakes. I know! I thought all my luck had come at once with these gems, you couldn’t create a more […]

22. Sweet Tuesdays | Custard Cream Madeleines | on October 20, 2015 at 10:11 am

23. Frances ? on September 15, 2015 at 5:13 pm

These look cool! ?

24. Tammy Twinkle on September 13, 2015 at 5:13 pm

Love, Love, Love! Custard Creams!

• Jane's Patisserie on September 14, 2015 at 5:56 pm

They’re soooo good aren’t they! delicious!

25. annalenashearthbeat on September 13, 2015 at 11:57 am

Sounds great! I really like your blog!

26. ginandmorecake on September 12, 2015 at 4:23 pm

These look beautiful!

27. staircaseinthedark on September 12, 2015 at 4:23 pm

I love this! Using something so familiar like this is such a fun idea 😀

28. thesnowwoman on September 11, 2015 at 11:51 am

Wow, I love custard creams. We can only get them at the British store here and the cost about $5cdn dollars for a small package. So they are only a rare treat for me. I am going to make these for sure!

• Jane's Patisserie on September 11, 2015 at 4:50 pm

Ohh that’s a shame, at least you can still get them!! And please do! Thanks!

29. Lauren at Knead to Dough on September 11, 2015 at 10:21 am

Custard creams are my favourite biscuit ever! Love love love these Jane 🙂

• Jane's Patisserie on September 11, 2015 at 4:49 pm

Hahah thanks Lauren!! They’re my utter guilty pleasure, would eat the whole packet!

• Lauren at Knead to Dough on September 12, 2015 at 9:22 am

Me too! I gave them up for Lent and my housemates hid custard creams literally everywhere so I’d find them and fail! :p as soon as it was Easter I ate an entire packet to celebrate haha 🙂

• Jane's Patisserie on September 12, 2015 at 2:13 pm