*This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure for more details!*
A Deliciously Creamy, Sweet & Salty Ice-Cream for all you Salted Caramel Lovers out there – Best thing about it, you don’t need an Ice-Cream Machine!
I LOVE ICE-CREAM. This is obvious. However, my love for it has grown insane amounts after I travelled to Rome, Italy recently. Gelato was part of my diet, a staple in my diet if you will – the sugar helped me through walking across the city with the heat – and, it was DELICIOUS. I tried as many flavours as possible, my favourite being Salted Caramel – and Mint Choc Chip – hence this recipe!
I will say now, its not as good as the one I had in Italy – that is impossible in my opinion – but it is a delicious as it can be for a no-churn recipe that you can all make at home yourself with ease! It only has 5 ingredients, and it takes minutes to make to then freeze – you don’t need an ice-cream machine, so you have no excuse to not make it!!
After the success of my No-Churn Mint Chocolate Ice-Cream recently I thought that making the second of my favourite flavours from Rome seemed an absolute must! It seriously is an amazing city, and the Gelato is to die for – perfect pick me up! I also realise its going into Autumn now, the summer heat is fading, and coats are a near must when going out in the evenings these days – but Ice-Cream is always in my house, even at christmas!
I serve my Ice-Cream either in sundae dishes, in chocolate covered cones, in plain waffle cones… or I grab the tub and a spoon and eat it all to myself. Seriously – its happened before. ENJOY!
This makes 2L of Ice-cream!
– 600ml Double Cream
– 1x 397g tin Carnations Caramel (or Dulce de Leche!)
– 1-2tsp Sea Salt Flakes (I used Maldon Flakes)
– 200g Chocolate, chopped into chunks
– Caramel/Toffee Ice-Cream Sauce
1) In a Stand Mixer with the whisk attachment (or a large bowl with a hand-held whisk) Whisk together the tin double cream, and caramel on a medium-high speed until smooth – can take a couple of minutes.
2) Continue to whisk the mixture until its very thick and holds itself – fold through the chopped up chocolate and 1tsp Sea Salt Flakes. Test how salty the ice-cream is by using a spoon and eating it! If you find it salty enough then pour into a freezer proof container or a tin (If not, add a bit more! See my note below).
3) Drizzle over some Ice-Cream Sauce and swirl through the ice-cream. Cover with a lid or some cling film and freeze for at least 5-6 hours, or over night!
4) To serve – remove from the freezer about 30 Minutes before you want to serve it and store it in the fridge – as its homemade (or like some shop bought ice-cream) they’re a bit hard straight out the freezer! Serve how you like and ENJOY!!
Tips and Ideas
BE CAREFUL with the amount of salt you use – I uses 2 teaspoons as I like mine salty, and I use proper flakes of salt so they cause less impact – if you use finely ground salt, you will want to use about 1/2 level tsp of salt – so taste test it as you go!
You could swap up the flavours of the sauce you use if you like, I often use Toffee as it goes VERY well with the flavour theme of Caramel!
This will last in the freezer for 1 month!
You can find my other Ice-Cream Recipes on my Recipes Page!
© Jane’s Patisserie. All images & content are copyright protected. Do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.