Gluten-Free Carrot Cake!

A Delicious Moist & Spicy Gluten-Free Carrot Cake, smothered in Delicious Vanilla Buttercream!

Also – I have an announcement to make… I am officially Gluten Intolerant. I know, shock and absolutely horror – for me this is one of the worst intolerances I could possibly have (the other being Dairy of course!) but after years of being unwell, and after doing some research I have decided (with doctors also telling me too) to be Gluten Free! Noooooooooo I miss bread already! 🙁

How much I stick to the Gluten Free diet is yet to be determined – I would say probably 95% as on Christmas I want all the food – including bread, and gravy, and cake. Actual glutenny cake. However, for now, I will be posting more Gluten-Free recipes more frequently, along with my regular normal recipes – I will just be trusting my trusty Taste Testers to let you guys know how it tastes (and I might have one bite.. maybe. Probably.) And don’t worry, I will be making sure that the Gluten-Free recipes taste just as good as the normal!

Starting this new diet I wanted to treat myself to one of my favourite cakes, and with seeing so many bloggers over the past few weeks post regular Carrot Cake recipes, and after the success of my own Carrot Cake Recipe that I posted back in August, I decided that a Gluten Free Carrot Cake would be ideal. Its moist, delicious, spicy, and utterly moreish.

I just used any bog standard Gluten-Free Self Raising Flour that I found in my local supermarket and it worked so much better than I thought – the carrot in the cake brings out so much moisture and deliciousness that you can’t tell the difference between this cake, and a regular carrot cake. I did decide to only use the Carrot & Sultanas in this cake, as in my other Carrot Cake recipe I used nuts – and both combinations are DELICIOUS!

I would seriously recommend this recipe to those who know Gluten-Free people, or have GF people in the family – you can all enjoy it!

This Cake serves 10-12!

– 150g Sultanas

Buttercream
– 200g Unsalted Butter, room temperature
– 450g Icing Sugar
– 1-3tbsp Whole Milk
– 1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon

1) Preheat your oven to 180C/160C fan and Grease and line with parchment paper two 8″ Springform Cake Tins.

2)  Cream together your butter & sugar until smooth – add in the eggs, flour, cinnamon, and baking powder and beat again till smooth. I use my KitchenAid with the paddle attachment, mixing at about level 4-5!

3) Once this is mixed, squeeze out some of the water it the carrots using kitchen paper towel, or a hand towel (if its really moist!) and then add to the cake mix along with the sultanas. Mix the mixture again until its smooth (I did this part with a  spatula) and then pour into the cake tins – bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes until the cake is cooked – test using a cake skewer, it should come out clean.

4) Leave the cakes to cool for 10 minutes before removing from the tins – then cool fully on a wire rack.

5) Make the buttercream by beating the room temperature butter for a couple of minutes until its really smooth and supple, then add the icing sugar half at a time making sure its fully incorporated before moving on.

6) Add in a little bit of milk at a time till you get the consistency you like – I tend to use two tablespoons. Pipe the buttercream onto the cakes and then sprinkle the top of the cake with the extra cinnamon! Enjoy!

I used the Gluten-Free Self-Raising Flour that I found in my local supermarket (Asda) – it doesn’t really matter which one you use because the carrots create so much moisture that the texture of the flour is the same as if you used regular Self-Raising Flour! So thats always a bonus.

If you would rather make the cake with some Cream Cheese Frosting then you can mind my Cream Cheese Frosting recipe here – Cream Cheese Frosting.

This cake will last best in the fridge – for 3 days, covered.

Find my other Gluten-Free recipes on my Recipes Page!

• Grace Baker
    July 17, 2020 at 2:16 pm

Is it possible to make plain gluten free flour into self raising gluten free flour by adding baking power and salt? If so what quantities and what kind of salt please?

Thank you!

July 17, 2020 at 7:39 pm

I’m not sure about the salt, I’ve never heard of that being required – but for regular flour you use 2 level tsps per 150g of plain flour to make self raising!

• Clair
    June 29, 2020 at 7:03 pm

Hi, any advice to turn these in go GF cupcakes?

June 29, 2020 at 7:21 pm

This would probably make 20-24 cupcakes, baked for about 20 minutes! x

• Vikkie
    November 22, 2019 at 8:56 pm

Hi Jane, is it really necessary to use unsalted butter? Also can I use plant based margarine & milk instead, as I’m dairy & gluten intolerant. I drink Unsweetened Almond milk/Oat Milk (I tend to stay away from Soya, as the process it goes through to make into milk isn’t very healthy). Thanks

• Jayne Urwin
    July 24, 2019 at 8:37 am

I made this last weekend for a friend. Turned out lovely but she said when she cut into it it just all crumbled. Any idea why?

July 24, 2019 at 8:57 am

Because it’s gluten-free (which can be more crumbly anyway), and also carrot cake (which is notoriously soft), it can be sometimes! It shouldn’t have completely crumbled though, so maybe it was a little underbaked?!

• Ola
    December 18, 2018 at 3:10 pm

Hi Jane, I was wondering if the butter in that recipe could be substituted with oil…?

December 18, 2018 at 7:13 pm

I’m afraid I haven’t tried with this particular recipe.

• Ola
      January 8, 2019 at 9:49 pm

I will give it a go and let you know 😊 love your recipes, they never fail! X

• Debbi McDonald
    October 4, 2018 at 7:31 pm

Hi Jane! Love your site. My sister is GF and so I am always looking for recipes for her. I have just made this one and found that my mixture was really this and dry. Quite the opposite of smooth so I added some milk. Currently in the oven! Would you have done the same? I did 1.5 of the mixture so added an extra egg too.

October 4, 2018 at 7:49 pm

Umm carrot cake shouldn’t really ever be dry? Maybe a measurement was off slightly?! I’m unsure, to be honest! I’m sure it’ll still bake well with how you’ve done it!

• Phoebe
    March 1, 2018 at 8:49 am

Any idea how long the cooking time would be if you did the cake in 1 large tin (to cut afterwards)
    Thanks for the recipe. 🙂

March 1, 2018 at 7:50 pm

Hiya. I’ve got no idea I’m afraid, but a low temperature (140c fan for example) and for a long time is best if its a deep one!

• GEMP86
    February 15, 2018 at 2:44 pm

A friend introduced me to your website the other day. Can’t wait to start baking from it. Everything looks so yummy. 😉
    Looking forward to trying this for my husband as he is gluten intolerant. It was new to me when i got married, but i am really enjoying experimenting with different recipes. 🙂 My husband much prefers home made GF cakes to shop bought ones!
    One that i have found works well is just adding a bit of Xanthan Gum and changing the standard flour to GF in a ‘lemon drizzle cake’ recipe. The lemon juice helps to keep them moist. One of my husbands favourite.
    Looking forward to seeing more GF recipes.

• Kaeli Mumford
    September 29, 2017 at 5:39 pm

I love this recipe! I just wanted to check if there was any reason you didn’t use Ginger or mixed spice in this one like you did in your other carrot cake recipe? 🙂

Kaeli

September 29, 2017 at 10:07 pm

Just different flavours – I make it differently each time!

• 5 blog posts I liked this week – Volume 1 | The Swedish Kiwi
    November 22, 2015 at 5:02 am

[…] lovely Jane, behind Jane’s Patisserie posted a recipe for a gluten free carrot cake. Now, I’m not gluten intolerant myself, but I […]

• So Tasty
    November 19, 2015 at 7:34 pm

Looks absolutely stunning! I am definitely will try it out 🙂

• Alisha
    November 19, 2015 at 3:28 pm

Hi Jane! Can’t wait to try your carrot cake recipe, looks excellent! Just wanted to post and let you know that if you’re looking for gf bread you should try Genius Gluten Free Bread, their triple seeded variety is really good and definitely the best gf bread I’ve tried yet 🙂 I discovered that I was wheat intolerant earlier this year so I share your pain in giving up the goodies!

November 19, 2015 at 3:32 pm

Aww thanks alisha! I shall try the bread out !:) X

• miajastmartin
    November 19, 2015 at 2:11 pm

I am so excited about this recipe! I am allergic to Gluten (as well as tons of others in my family) and I can tell you from experience that there are tons of options now-a-days. I just want to caution you on the occasional cheat. I haven’t had gluten in years and any time I accidentally have gluten, I end up feeling extremely sick for a few days. You may not be 100% allergic or intolerant, but I would be careful anyway. Can’t wait to see more of your GF recipes!

November 19, 2015 at 2:42 pm

Ohh I know to be careful, but i’ve accidentally eaten a couple of my favourite biscuits the other day and i seemed fine, but I will try and be as good as possible! 🙂 I really hope you and everyone loves this recipe!! ❤️

• anisakazemi
    November 19, 2015 at 7:13 am

Looks delicious!!!

• JoJo @ Every Nook & Cranny
    November 18, 2015 at 1:37 pm

Oh that’s rotten news Jane. You know my dad is Coeliac and I was tested earlier this year (thank god I’m not!) so I understand how hard this is on you. The carrot cake looks gorgeous, I’ll have to make it for my dad – I’ll look forward to your future GF creations x

November 18, 2015 at 3:23 pm

I can still eat it reeeeeeally, like its not 100% all evil, but I should really avoid it if I can 🙂 so its not all bad! and thank you so much!! You’re lucky you aren’t! x

• The Culinary Jumble
    November 18, 2015 at 10:09 am

Oh, that looks amazingly good! We can’t buy self raising GF flour here – do you think you could use plain and just a bit more baking powder?!

November 18, 2015 at 10:10 am

Thank you! Yeah Im sure that will still work perfectly fine! 🙂 x

• Lauren at Knead to Dough
    November 18, 2015 at 10:01 am

Finally a carrot cake I can enjoy without my tummy being naughty! Thank you Jane ? x

November 18, 2015 at 10:07 am

Hehe thanks Lauren – Gutted I’m officially gluten intolerant – can’t quite just ignore it any more! 😛 x

• Lauren at Knead to Dough
      November 18, 2015 at 2:14 pm

Poor thing! I think I’d have a crisis if that happened to me! X

November 18, 2015 at 3:24 pm

I think I am having a crisis ? Just had to stop myself from eating my favourite biscuits! xx

• Lauren at Knead to Dough
      November 18, 2015 at 4:12 pm

I tried gluten free biscuits for a while, the one I’d avoid are the custard creams – they just didn’t taste right at all! But others were yummy and homemade would be fab I’m sure! 🙂 xx

November 18, 2015 at 5:06 pm

Im glad you told me this as I almost bought some of the Custard Cream ones today but forgot my purse and would’ve bought them tomorrow!! And yes, I am determined to bake delicious homemade ones!! xx

• Lauren at Knead to Dough
      November 18, 2015 at 6:24 pm

Can’t wait for more of your gluten free recipes! ? they’ll help me to be healthier too! Xx

• amodoyle69
    November 18, 2015 at 9:51 am

Delighted to know you will be posting more gf recipes as my mum is gluten intolerant. I have made your no bake rolo cheesecake so many times and it is a favourite among my extended family however unfortunately my mum can’t have it!!!!!

I will definitely try this for her

Thanks Anne Marie

Sent from my iPad

November 18, 2015 at 10:07 am

Oh no! Try making it one day with some gluten free biscuits on the bottom 🙂 May be a little crumbly, but then at least she can enjoy it too! x