Red Velvet Brownies!

Delicious Red Velvet Brownies with a Vanilla Cheesecake Swirl!

This post may contain affiliate links.

So the time has come, to give you… RED. VELVET. BROWNIES. Yeah, that’s right – red velvet brownies. This is a recipe that has been requested for longer than I can remember, so I am finally giving you the ultimate dream!

Some people may be a little confused from the beginning here about how you can have Red Velvet in brownie form, but roll with me. It’s possible. And it’s DELICIOUS.

SO! To explain the bake… Red Velvet Cake is basically a chocolate and vanilla cake, that is also red. Originally, they were not made using red food colouring, but these days, it’s just the easiest and most straight forward route.

The main issues with baking Red Velvet Cakes has always been using the incorrect food colouring. I will say it over and over again.. you MUST use good quality colouring. Cocoa powder is a vital ingredient, but also the ingredient that can cause food colouring not work with it being brown and all.

I use Red Extra food colouring, because it is just the ultimate for this situation. I use it for all red velvet bakes, and pretty much anything I do that needs to be red. Honestly, it is just such good quality! If you use a supermarket own brand, it just will NOT work. Also, the amount you need to use is rather disgusting.. this way, you don’t need much at all!

Anyway! To make the classic Red Velvet Cake into a Brownie.. you sorta have to combine several recipes. I essentially combined the ideas of my Red Velvet Cake, Brownies, and Blondies all in one. The quantities vary slightly in comparison to them all, and basic ingredients differ, but otherwise… they’re so similar!

For Red Velvet to be Red Velvet these days… you need Cocoa Powder, Vanilla, White Vinegar and Buttermilk. For these Brownies however, you need the Cocoa Powder, Vanilla and White Vinegar along with the other ingredients.

I tried to incorporate Buttermilk into them, but it just didn’t float at all. Neither did the Bicarbonate of Soda which is also found in the cakes often! Either way, I feel like this does have enough ingredients in to be called Red Velvet Brownies.

For the Cheesecake Swirl, it’s a very similar recipe to the cheesecake in my Cheesecake Brownies just because I love it so much! You just have to stir it all together as little as possible to make it smooth, and then swirl it in!

The best way I found to achieve the swirl is to add in 90% of the mix into the tin, dollop/pour the cheesecake over, and then add on the rest of the brownie mix. Swirl it through, and bake! The cheesecake will sink into the brownie, but this way you get folds of cheesecake throughout, and it’s the best!

I hope you love this recipe as much as I do! x

Red Velvet Brownies!

Delicious Red Velvet Brownies with a Vanilla Cheesecake Swirl!
4.63 from 8 votes

• 1 tsp White Wine Vinegar

Cheesecake Swirl

• 250 g Full-Fat Cream Cheese
  • 75 g Caster Sugar
  • 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
  • 1 Egg Yolk

• Preheat your oven to 180C/160C Fan and line a 9x9" square tin with parchment paper!
  • Beat together your Butter and Sugar until combined!
  • Add in the Vanilla and Red Food Colouring - I find it easier to mix these two together to make a thinner paste, and then mix into the Butter/Sugar!
  • Add in the Eggs one at a time, beating each time. Add in the Cocoa Powder, and Flour, and beat again.
  • Finally, add in the White Wine Vinegar - and mix. You want to mix this mixture as little as possible!
  • In a separate bowl, add your Cream Cheese, Sugar and Vanilla and beat till smooth. Add in the Egg Yolk and mix again!
  • Pour 90% of your Brownie Mixture into the tin - dollop over the cream cheese mix, and then dollop over the last little bit of Brownie Mix
  • Swirl the mixture together - and then bake in the oven for 28-35 minutes. Mine were in for 30!
  • Leave to cool in the tin for 20-30 minutes or so, and then cool fully on a wire rack!

Nutrition Facts
Fiber 1g4%
Sugar 23g26%
Protein 4g8%
Vitamin A 527IU11%
Calcium 30mg3%
Iron 1mg6%
* These are only estimates and can vary dependant on brands of ingredients and serving sizes.

Find my other Cake Recipes on my Recipes Page!

• Makasha
    August 9, 2020 at 6:28 am

Hi I’m planning to cut the recipe in half and bake it in an 8×8″ tray, would that be alright? What adjustments do you recommend in doing so?

August 9, 2020 at 5:25 pm

Half is about a 7×7″ – so it may be a bit thin if used in an 8″ x

• Kye
    August 1, 2020 at 8:11 am

Hi Jane, these are excellent and I need to make some for a socially distanced event. Can I make them in a large baking tray. Or should I use 3 or 4 “9×9” trays?

August 1, 2020 at 10:17 am

Hey! As they are baked into a 9×9″ tray for the best results (due to timings etc) I would maybe do the 3 or 4 9×9″ xx

• Katie Morrison
    July 20, 2020 at 10:34 am

These taste amazing!! I only had supermarket colouring in and did have to use a lot just to get a little red tint to it so have now ordered the gel colouring you recommended and will definitely make them again!

July 20, 2020 at 2:12 pm

Ahh yay! I hope the good colour works wonders for you! X

• Mark Murphy
    July 18, 2020 at 1:40 pm

Hi, the cheesecake filling, is it block cream cheese or spreadable? It is ridiculously hard to get block cream cheese regularly in the UK!! Thanks

July 18, 2020 at 4:34 pm

I’m in the UK and just use Philadelphia! If you have block, use it, but if not – any full-fat soft cream cheese works.

• Emily
    July 17, 2020 at 5:23 pm

Just made these and struggled with getting a red colour. Maybe I used too much coco powder but I ended up using half a bottle of red colouring and it was still brown ☹️

• Tina
    June 12, 2020 at 5:12 pm

Hey Jane what is the best way to check if thr brownie is done. Also the cream cheese mixture was quite liquid is that how it’s supposed to be?

June 12, 2020 at 7:10 pm

Hey! So they should have a slight wobble still as they’ll continue to bake whilst cooling – and yes as it’s a baked cheesecake mix it can be more liquid!

• Charlotte
    June 4, 2020 at 10:38 pm

Just made these and followed the recipe. Why has my cheesecake mix sunk to the bottom?

Think I’m going to have to throw the lot out 😭😭 did double the amount aswell

June 4, 2020 at 10:49 pm

Hiya – it probably was because there was too much if you did double! And it may have been swirled in too much, so it sank!

• Charlotte
      June 9, 2020 at 9:09 pm

I was making 2 trays of them so that’s why I doubled. I’ll try them again and not swirl so much x

• Jemma
    June 4, 2020 at 2:42 pm

I’m about to they baking these, I’m really looking forward to them as I have done the red velvet cookies and they were delicious. I was wondering if you are able to try making a red velvet, no bake, cheesecake. I have seen some on google, but because I know all of your recipes are amazing, I thought maybe you would be able to make the best one. 😀
    Jemma

June 4, 2020 at 7:43 pm

I hope you love these, and I’m glad you liked the cookies! And its on my list to do!! x

• kathleen
    June 2, 2020 at 9:37 pm

Can I omit the Cheesecake Swirl? if so, will the baking time adjust?

June 3, 2020 at 8:54 am

You can! The baking time will decrease quite a bit (not 100% sure how much)!

• Amreen Liaqat
    June 1, 2020 at 9:24 pm

Hiya i wanted to ask if you cant have white wine biniger what else can you use?as i want to use this recipe but notsure what to use instead

June 2, 2020 at 11:40 am

I would use an apple cider vinegar, or another white vinegar!

• Lyn
    May 28, 2020 at 3:58 pm

I don’t have a 9″ Square tin would 8″ be too small? And 10″ too big? What about a 12 by 8 inch rectangular tin.

May 28, 2020 at 7:00 pm

The 10″ square and 12×8″ rectangle are roughly the same size, and 1.2x the recipe – so the mix is a bit small for it, and the 8″ is about 0.8x the recipe. I would use the 8″, but bake for a bit longer!

• Lucy
    May 20, 2020 at 12:51 pm

I’m really looking forward to trying these. Thank you for your hard work preparing it! Would these be okay to bake into a foil tin and freeze for another time?

Also any tips for cutting these when you’ve made them?

May 20, 2020 at 1:09 pm

I don’t see why it wouldn’t work!! I just use a sharp knife to cut them! X

• Alice-May
    May 11, 2020 at 10:28 pm

10/10 for taste however, I used nearly half a bottle of food colouring and they still didn’t turn out red which was disappointing.
    Which food colouring would you recommend for next time, so I don’t face the same problem?

Thank you. 😊

May 12, 2020 at 8:46 am

Did you use supermarket colouring? Unfortunately as mentioned in the recipe post that will never work as they are awful – the one I use is linked on the post! x

• Ben
    May 10, 2020 at 7:01 pm

I’m just making these now and they’ve been in the oven for over 25 minutes and the top is still wobbling all over. What would you recommend?

May 11, 2020 at 9:08 am

They will wobble slightly when coming out – and as mentioned you need to bake for about 28-35 minutes, so they just haven’t finished baking. Once you take them out, leave them to cool and they should firm up! Also, you can leave them in the fridge for a bit once cooled and that will help them set even more!

• Fal
    May 10, 2020 at 3:00 pm

Baked these brownies yesterday..
    Very straight forward recipe. Only used 180 g of Philadelphia.
    Cooked for 35 minutes. They were bit wobbly from the middle. But it did taste very delicious

Very happy with the end product. Will definitely bake it again xx

• Georgia Barber
    May 7, 2020 at 9:00 pm

for the cream cheese, is there a certain you’d recommend? eg. Philadelphia

• MrsP30
    May 5, 2020 at 11:10 pm

Just baked these brownies!
    The recipe was very easy to follow…
    Cooked for 28 mins (160 fan,) then another 2mins as they were far to wobbly.

Left to cool for 3 hours, cut into 12 squares and they look a bit spongey (they were still quite wobbly in the middle when I took them out of the oven.)

Not sure where I went wrong 🙁 They do taste very good though!

If you’re going to make these, I’d maybe take them out even when you think they are waaay to under done and leave them to COMPLETELY cool before cutting. Maybe even leave until next day if you want them to firm up a bit!

Over all, happy with the recipe and outcome, just I’d prefer them stodgier so will be making again!

May 6, 2020 at 8:41 am

Hiya! Yes they probably needed 26-27 minutes or so in your oven, rather than the extra! Because of the swirl of the cheesecake, they will wobble a bit! You’ve just over baked them slightly is all 🙂

• christopher jobling
    May 3, 2020 at 7:17 pm

Hello
    I made the brownies today and they came out spongy like a sponge cake. Where do you think i went wrong?

• sarah
    April 8, 2020 at 11:38 am

About to make this recipe, would you recommend frosting these brownies? if so, would you know of what a good flavour would be? Cream Cheese?

April 8, 2020 at 1:56 pm

I personally think they’re good as they are – but feel free!

• Hannah Webb
    January 28, 2020 at 10:11 am

I don’t have any vinegar to hand. Will these work without it? Many thanks x

January 29, 2020 at 8:53 am

It’s important, which is why it’s there. It’s for the colouring, and for the general bake.

• Gy
      May 2, 2020 at 12:41 pm

Hi,

Can I substitute the caster sugar with light brown soft sugar?

May 2, 2020 at 1:09 pm

For these, it’s best to stick to white because of the colouring, but you can use it if need be – it could just be a darker colour.

• Lauren Andrews
    January 24, 2020 at 2:32 pm

Not to undo all your hard work in researching and testing this recipe, but is it possible to omit the red food colouring?

January 24, 2020 at 8:58 pm

It won’t be a red velvet brownie if you do, and the recipe is designed to keep the red colour there so it would be a little odd.

• Samantha Parnell
    January 20, 2020 at 5:50 pm

Really looking forward to baking these red velvet brownies, can I add white chocolate chips or won’t they work? Thanks in advance x

• Em
    November 12, 2019 at 8:44 am

Hi! I am making these for the first time today (very excited!) and have 2 questions:
    1. Can I use dairy free spread in place of the butter as I only have this in the fridge?
    2. When beating, is it okay to use an electric whisk?

Thanks!

November 12, 2019 at 4:07 pm

I would recommend using genuine butter, but it should still be okay with something else like that. And you can for the brownies but for the cheesecake I would just use a spatula!

• Ritika
    October 18, 2019 at 11:05 am

DELICIOUS! the cake looks really delicious and mouthwatering. I’m sure my guests loved it!

• Zan
    October 12, 2019 at 8:35 pm

What’s the alternative I can use for white wine vinegar in the red velvet brownies ? I’d there a substitute?many thanks