Red Velvet Cake!

A delicious & light and moreish Red Velvet Cake smothered in Cream Cheese Frosting – Hello Cake Heaven!

HAPPY 1ST BIRTHDAY TO MY BLOG – Jane’s Patisserie!  Just want to say a MASSIVE thank you to everyone that supports my blog, likes my posts, comments on my posts, and especially to those who bake & share my recipes – I love you all!!

Red Velvet Cake is one of those ‘in things’ that all coffee shops will sell at some point, and the recipe that everyone wants to have and use, but its one of the most inconsistent cakes to make at home that I have come across! After trying out a few recipes from other websites and such I decided that developing my own was best – as some recipes were so unreliable I just didn’t feel comfortable!

I would definitely say the key to the recipe is good quality food colouring – using the little liquid bottles you can buy from the supermarket, will NOT work! You will end up having to use about 5 bottle to make it work, and it’ll just taste manky – I use Sugarflair food colouring for all of my baking, and this is no different! I use the Sugarflair Red Extra food colouring which you can buy, which comes in at about £5/£6 a pot, but it lasts for oodles amounts of time that this doesn’t matter! Also, the key of using the Buttermilk, Bicarbonate, and Vinegar means that the red colouring will be brought out even more, and you will get the classic Velvet Cake texture!

I find the reason that peoples Red Velvet Cakes can fail is because of using lower quality food colouring, not mixing it with the cocoa powder (which is the ingredient that makes the colouring not work sometimes!!) and then not taking their time with the making of the cake. Gradually adding in all of the ingredients in the order specified makes a deliciously moist cake, that comes out super super SUPER bright red!

The cake has a delicious mix of the flavours of Chocolate and Vanilla, which is utter heaven to me!! The Cream Cheese Frosting on top is sweet, delicious, and marries with the cake perfectly – but Cream Cheese Frosting can always be a liiiitle bit runny in comparison to others, thats its nature, however – as long as you don’t over beat it too much – it’ll be dandy and delicious! I love this cake so so so much, so I really hope you guys do too! For the Cream Cheese frosting, you have to make sure that your cream cheese has no extra excess liquid, and try not to over mix the mixture. Also, room temperature butter is important so there is no lumps.

This cake serves 10-12!

– 2tsp White Wine Vinegar

Cream Cheese Frosting
– 125g Butter, room temperature
– 1x 280g Philadelphia Full-Fat Cream Cheese
– 1tsp Vanilla Bean Extract
– 400-600g Icing Sugar

1) To Bake the Red Velvet Cake – Preheat your oven to 170C/150CFan and Line two 8″ cake tins with butter and parchment paper – leave to the side for now.

2) Beat together the Butter and Sugar in a stand mixer till smooth and fluffy like you would a normal cake, and then gradually beat in the egg so that it doesn’t curdle (if it doesn’t curdle, beat in a little flour to bring it back)

3) In a small bowl, mix together the Cocoa Powder, Sugarflair Red Extra food colouring, and Vanilla Extract to a thick dark paste (if it is struggling to become a paste, then add in a little milk to make it runnier and mix better – it needs to be smooth!) – it may take a couple of minutes but this will make it easier to add to the rest of the mixture if you do it this way – and the sponge will be more red!

4) Add this mixture to the butter mixture and beat until combined and coloured well – turn the speed down so its slow, and pour in half of the buttermilk. Add in half of the flour and beat again, and then the other half of the buttermilk & beat, and then the other half of the flour & beat (I realise this is faffy, but it works!) Finally – beat in the Bicarbonate of soda, and vinegar. Beat again for a couple of minutes until everything is smooth and incorporated well – separate into the two tins and bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes until the middle of the cake comes out clean when poked with a skewer!

5) Once the cakes are baked, leave to cool on a wire rack.

6) To make the Cream Cheese Frosting – With a stand mixer/electric whisk, beat the room temperature/softened butter for a couple of minutes so its really smooth. Fold through the the cream cheese so its combined, or beat on a low speed. Stir in the Vanilla extract.

7) Gradually add in the Icing Sugar till its all combined – try not to beat too hard, you’ll want to do this bit by hand. I add usually about 500g, you want to add enough for it to be firm.

8) Even your cakes out by cutting the tops off (if they’re uneven in the first place) layer on 1/2 of the Frosting, smooth it over, and add the other sponge on top – add the other half of the frosting on top and decorate with sponge crumbs if you fancy!

I really really really recommend in investing in good quality Sugarflair Red Extra food colouring for a red velvet cake – I use Sugarflair paste colours which you can buy online, or in cake decorating shops etc – but they don’t have a funny taste to them, you use far less to make them work, and they last so much longer!!

You really do need the butter in the frosting to be softened/at room temperature so that when you combine it with the cream cheese, it doesn’t take too long and it stays smooth. Cold butter will NOT work!

This cake will last in the fridge for up to 3 days, covered!

Find my other Cake recipes on my Recipes Page!

• Farzana
    September 26, 2020 at 7:29 pm

Hey

Is there any other vinegar you could use as I don’t have white wine vinegar?

September 27, 2020 at 9:38 am

You need a white vinegar of sorts, so a good alternative is apple cider vinegar!

• Tina
    September 23, 2020 at 9:25 am

Hi jane i want to make a 6″ cake 2 layers how much batter would i need? Thank you in Advance

September 24, 2020 at 4:10 pm

I would use about 2/3 of the recipe x

• Claire
    September 16, 2020 at 8:27 am

Always wanted to make red velvet successfully. Made once and wasn’t very red. Followed your method and came out beautifully. I found vanilla bean extract in the cupboard too which worked do much better than the usual vanilla flavourings I tend to use. Will store this recipe for future use.

• Ciara Mc bride
    September 12, 2020 at 11:43 pm

Hi love your recipes recently I tried your chocolate cake which turned out so well! Today I tried the red velvet cake the sponge was lovely but for some reason the cream cheese icing was too runny, I tried to make it twice but both times I got the same result. I tried to add more icing sugar but that didn’t work either. Would you have any tips on Improvement xx

• Louise
    September 11, 2020 at 10:31 pm

Love your cake recipes, have baked a few now and my family always love them.
    I am going to try this recipe soon for my friends birthday. However I need some inspiration as i would ideally like to make it pretty…like a drip cake style. I am just not sure what chocolate would taste best, or what else I could pop on the top to make it more of a statement. Any ideas would be amazing

September 12, 2020 at 10:53 am

I would basically use 1.5x the recipe to get three layers, and then use the ganache outside from my Biscoff Drip Cake recipe (White chocolate ganache) as you can then fill it with cream cheese frosting still! (use my new cream cheese frosting recipe on my blog) x

• Jasmin
    September 11, 2020 at 11:16 am

Hi Jane I adore all your recipes thank you so much!! I was wondering if I could use powdered red food colouring instead of the paste?

September 11, 2020 at 4:12 pm

Honestly, I have no idea – I have never used a powdered red food colouring in such a way.

• Krystal
    September 10, 2020 at 7:57 pm

Hi Jane! Do you still recommend that red colouring mentioned in the recipe? I want a super intense red, like a blood red (sorry!) so should I use the colouring recommend or is there others I could use that you have perhaps used and liked?

• Sophie
    September 7, 2020 at 7:26 pm

Is cultured buttermilk ok with This?

• Stephanie
    September 3, 2020 at 11:56 pm

Hi Jane would it be possible for me to use this recipe in a 2lb loaf tin at all?

• Sophie
    August 25, 2020 at 8:45 pm

Hey Jane

If I wanted to make this three layered how much More ingredients would I need?

August 25, 2020 at 9:06 pm

I would use 1.5x the recipe, so another half x

• Chris
    August 22, 2020 at 11:02 pm

I just adore your recipes, your website is my go to’ when wanting inspiration for a new or different recipe and they ALWAYS go down an absolute treat! I’m going to make your Red Velvet cake for an anniversary and wondered is the PME Berry Red Paste a strong enough colour to use? X

August 23, 2020 at 6:37 pm

I haven’t used that one before, and do believe the red extra is by far the best, but it should be okay! x

• Carol
    August 16, 2020 at 8:13 am

Hi, may sound silly but do you recommend sandwich tins to bake this cake in. Also what brand of cocoa powder do you use as been reading about non ducked cocoa powder but reading through your notes you haven’t mentioned anything specific.

August 16, 2020 at 9:49 am

Generally I use cake tins that are 2.5″ or deeper, so not sandwich tins (As sometimes they are incredibly shallow). I don’t use anything specific for cocoa powder – I swap between Barry cacao, and dr Oetker x

• Gemma Spencer
    July 25, 2020 at 10:35 am

Hi Jane want to do this in as a traybake/square. Could you help me please with the recipe.

• Louise
    July 24, 2020 at 12:03 pm

Hiya.. I was just wondering if this recipe makes a dense enough cake to use it for a ‘semi-naked’ iced cake?

July 24, 2020 at 12:55 pm

Yes it should be fine!!

• Alex
      August 10, 2020 at 10:05 am

Hi, I’m unable to find the food colouring you recommend and it won’t come in time if I order it online, does a food colour gel work the same?

August 10, 2020 at 10:09 am

It really does depend on the brand as mentioned on the post – any supermarket brand will not work. Places such as hobby craft sell good quality colours!

• Maz
    July 23, 2020 at 2:27 pm

Hi Jane, does it have to be block butter for the cake? Thanks

July 23, 2020 at 7:20 pm

I tend to use it, but for the cake it can be a baking spread like stork!

• Shahida
    July 18, 2020 at 10:11 am

Hi Jane I loved your red velvet nyc cookies recipe and wondered if you could tell me how long this might take to bake if I put it all in one 10 inch pan instead of 2 pans? So excited to try! Thanks in advance 👍

July 18, 2020 at 4:35 pm

Hey! I’m really sorry but I am not sure – I don’t often bake 10″ cakes. x

• Theresa
    July 14, 2020 at 3:29 pm

Hi, I made this with 1.5 mix to put in two 9” tins. However, cakes ‘domed’ and cracked in middle! I used a slightly hotter over because of bigger tins?

July 14, 2020 at 5:21 pm

Hiya – so I wouldn’t recommend making the temperature hotter, either keep it the same or maybe lower it. The larger sizes will take longer to bake either way, but the temperature is the reason it will have domed quite a bit!

• Liv
    July 10, 2020 at 10:32 am

Hiya I was wondering shag I would adjust this to to make a 3 tier cake!x

• Liv
      July 10, 2020 at 10:33 am

Was wondering what* oops!!

July 10, 2020 at 3:10 pm

Hey! I would use 1.5x the recipe, and bake into three tins! x

• Shauna
    July 7, 2020 at 4:01 am

Hey! What’s the red stuff you have sprinkled on top to decorate? I can’t tell what it is and it looks great hahah x

• Sarah Ingram
    July 5, 2020 at 11:37 am

Hi my son wants a velvet cake but multi coloured. Do you have any suggestions on hows best to do it? Do I divide the mixture into 3 batches then add the colours that way?

July 5, 2020 at 3:53 pm

The risk of that is you will over mix the mixture because of where you are adding the colour at the end! You will also need to make sure they are good quality colours like mentioned xx

• Zhareenm
    July 5, 2020 at 10:51 am

Jane I love u. I made ur recipe today and it is a huge mega HIT. Very tasty, moist and light. Thank u. Im from Mauritius.

• Reshma Patel
    June 30, 2020 at 2:33 pm

Hi Jane! Would love to use this recipe for my sons birthday cake but was hoping to do a rainbow cake (6 small layers) do you think the cream cheese will hold them? Or shall I add something else in the middle? He loves cream cheese frosting! Thanks!

June 30, 2020 at 7:24 pm

I would use the cream cheese from my new cream cheese frosting post compared to this one – then it should be okay! x

• Marie
    June 25, 2020 at 12:35 am

Hi Jane I’m planning on making this as a 3 tier cake and increasing the ingredients as you stated in earlier comments. I would like to cover the sides, would you recommend a buttercream to cover the top and side rather than the cream cheese frosting? Many thanks

June 25, 2020 at 11:33 am

Hey! Personally I would use buttercream yes! x

• Farhana
      July 17, 2020 at 1:45 pm

Would you be able to tell me how much I would need to create enough buttercream to cover up the sides and top of the cake?

July 17, 2020 at 7:39 pm

I usually double it!

• Adele Moore
    June 17, 2020 at 7:48 pm

Hi love your recipes and am going to try this one out tomorrow. If I were to use 3 x 7 inch tins would you recommend change the recipe- increase or decrease? Thank you in advance x

June 18, 2020 at 7:45 pm

Hey! I don’t often bake 7″ cakes I’m afraid – but I would say increase the recipe slightly as you want three layers! Maybe add on another 1/3? x

• Tammy
    June 5, 2020 at 8:57 pm

Hi,
    Am I able to alter this recipe slightly to make into a tray bake? If so, how?

June 7, 2020 at 7:15 pm

Hey! That depends – what size tin did you want to use? x

• Tammy
      June 8, 2020 at 8:52 am

It’s 13”x9” x

June 8, 2020 at 12:45 pm

Ahh okay! So it’s probably best to just double it – if you have any leftover mix you’d be able to make a couple of cupcakes but double should be okay! X

• Ramnik
    June 5, 2020 at 8:28 pm

Huge fan- your recipes are fab and such a crowd pleaser! Do you know if it would be possible to make this gluten free with substituting the flour and adding Xanthan gum?

June 5, 2020 at 8:51 pm

Yes that should be fine!! Obviously double check all other ingredients for allergens too! x

• Pheebs
    June 4, 2020 at 9:51 pm

Never done a red velvet cake before, what can I substitute buttermilk for? Finding it hard to find x

June 5, 2020 at 9:07 am

You can make it yourself with whole milk, and lemon juice! You whisk 1tbsp of lemon juice into the milk and let it set for about 5 minutes before using!! x

• Luc
    June 3, 2020 at 10:05 am

Hello, would i be able to freeze this cake without the frsoting?

• Mrs P
    May 28, 2020 at 9:38 pm

I was so looking forward to making this cake for my father in laws birthday, but I can’t find red food colouring anywhere in the shops and ordering it online wont come in time. Can I still make the cake and just leave the red food colouring out? I know it wont be red, but will it still taste the same or should I leave the vinegar and cocoa out of the recipe?! HELP!

May 29, 2020 at 2:05 pm

Hey! So you still want to use the other ingredients – just leave out the colouring! The taste will be the same! x

• Jade
    May 23, 2020 at 5:51 pm

Hello 🙂

Can I use self-raising flour instead of plain flour and bicarbonate soda?

X

May 25, 2020 at 7:02 pm

Hey! So the raising agent also comes somewhat from the vinegar, bicarbonate and even the buttermilk – so it won’t be a straight switch but it should be okay! The texture may just be slightly different! x

• Grace
    May 17, 2020 at 4:50 pm

Hi will homemade buttermilk do? With just milk and lemon juice.

May 18, 2020 at 11:22 am

Yes – make sure it’s full fat milk, and whisk in the lemon juice and let it sit for 5 minutes before using x

• Karena Buck
    May 15, 2020 at 10:07 pm

Hi, do you have to use White vinegar? Because I’m finding it really hard to get hold of at the minute.

May 16, 2020 at 9:18 am

You definitely do need something similar – it’s part of what makes the cake rise and have a better colour!

• bhav
    May 14, 2020 at 9:21 am

I can only get a hold of medium eggs at the moment 😔 should I add an extra egg or leave it as 2 medium eggs?

May 14, 2020 at 2:01 pm

I would use two medium, and maybe a yolk! x

• Elisabeth
    May 12, 2020 at 9:49 pm

How would I adapt the recipe for 3 layers at 8″? I would like to do a drip cake style so should i cover the cake in vanilla buttercream and do cream cheese frosting for the filling?

May 13, 2020 at 9:11 am

Hey! The easiest thing is to add on another half of the recipe for the third tin (so you do 1.5x) and yes that sounds perfect!!

• Emma
    May 8, 2020 at 1:30 pm

Made this cake several times and is always a massive hit! Quick question and the answer is probably yes but with regards to the full fat cheese, I’ve always used Philadelphia full fat as your recipe says but my other half picked up the Lidl version of full fat cheese and I just want to check that this will be ok? I’ll just get rid of excess liquid if there is some? Thanks! Love allll your recipes btw!

May 8, 2020 at 2:09 pm

As long as you get rid of the excess water like you say it should still be okay! Lots of my readers use aldi/lidl and say it works well!

• Suri
    May 2, 2020 at 10:50 am

Hey,

If I don’t have white wine vinegar, can I use apple cider vinegar?

• Bhavi
    April 12, 2020 at 9:48 am

Hi Jane I would like to make a 3teir 6inch cake.. would the measurements for this recipe be enough or should i double it?

• Rishika
    April 9, 2020 at 6:36 am

Hey, what could o use to substitute eggs?

• Patel
    April 7, 2020 at 7:08 am

Hi Jane, Would you recommend using storke or blocked butter for the sponge?

April 7, 2020 at 9:14 am

For the sponge, you can use either – for buttercream I recommend block butter.

• Elizabeth Griffiths
    March 31, 2020 at 2:03 pm

Just made this, but I can never get my frosting spot on, its always too runny, but it still tastes great. I’ll get it right one day.
    Love your recipes.

March 31, 2020 at 4:06 pm

Unfortunately cream cheese frosting is the worst of them all for that – it’s very difficult to get right!

• Roxane
    March 22, 2020 at 2:07 pm

Hiya, is there a substitute for buttermilk? I live in spain and it’s impossible to get. I makecakes for an English Cafe here and I know this would be well loved! Love your blog and recipes btw!!

March 22, 2020 at 7:20 pm

You can mix whole milk (full fat) with 2 tbsp of lemon juice to make your own substitute!

• Maeve Phelan
    February 28, 2020 at 11:39 am

What icing nozzles and piping bags do you use?

Maeve x

• Amy Clipsham
    February 2, 2020 at 8:53 pm

Hi Jane, I’ve noticed that your recipes and instructions for the cream cheese frosting are different for this cake and for the red velvet cupcakes – I was wondering why this was? Is one of them easier to pipe? Thank you – I absolutely love your recipes!!

February 3, 2020 at 12:55 am

It’s just two different examples is all!

• natalie goodwin
    January 25, 2020 at 4:31 pm

I’ve made this cake about six or seven times and it always goes down a storm.. I’ve had a little girl tell me its the best cake she’s ever tasted! It really is seriously good. Thank you for this fab recipe. I use cream cheese frosting as I’m not a fan of buttercream.. It really is a perfect red velvet cake.

• Georgia Jade May
    January 14, 2020 at 7:03 pm

Hi Jane when you say use a third of the frosting then layer it up from the picture it looks like it’s piped so I am confused sorry to sound silly but what do you mean by a third of the frosting?

• Rebecca Jones
    January 9, 2020 at 5:49 pm

Hi, do you have a print version of this recipe please. Thanks

January 10, 2020 at 2:38 pm

Any recipe can be printed, using your computer print function.

• Amanda
    November 27, 2019 at 8:30 am

Could this red velvet cake ever work as a drip cake? I’m really keen to try it with a white chocolate drip?

November 27, 2019 at 7:29 pm

Yes it could! However I would use a vanilla buttercream to cover it, as cream cheese frosting won’t hold up enough!

• Natalie
      May 28, 2020 at 9:26 pm

What vanilla do you use? I’ve tried a few with varying success, would love your opinion! Thanks!

May 29, 2020 at 9:12 am

I only use Nielsen Massey!!

• Emelia
    November 23, 2019 at 7:36 pm

Hi, i’m going to be using 12’ square cake tins, do you recommend I alter the recipe and by how much?

November 24, 2019 at 9:05 am

That would typically be 3x the recipe, so lots and lots of cake mix – You would want to lower the temp to make sure it bakes evenly as it will take ages!

• Raeesa
    October 18, 2019 at 8:06 am

Hi Jane loving your blog, wanted to ask if making this red velvet cake for cake pops, would cream cheese frosting be okay to mix the cake with in to little balls or cakesicles?

• Danielle Pratchett
    September 7, 2019 at 8:04 pm

I’ll be making this recipe tomorrow (first time making red velvet). My pans a 6” though, how should I adapt the recipe amounts to accommodate a smaller tin please?

Danielle

• Anita
    August 10, 2019 at 4:24 pm

YUMMY!! This recipe is DE-LICIOUS!! It was honestly so easy to follow, thanks to your amazing instructions Jane. I am loving the red velvet now! The colour was perfect, just as you imagine it to be, I used the extra red as recommended.

A big thank you for sharing Jane

• Anita
    August 4, 2019 at 7:34 am

Hi Jane, I love your blog and Instagram page, I always enjoy a read to see what delicious bakes you’ve made.
    Your recipes are amazing and you cover everything step by step with such helpful information, thank you so much for sharing. I’ve always avoided the red velvet as it worries me for some reason, but am going to give it a go this week for my friends birthday – yikes! The plan is to make a two tier, the red velvet being on the bottom with 4 layers of sponge. Using all the usual dowels and everything for support do you foresee any problems with this? It will be covered with buttercream so can be kept in the fridge. Much appreciated

August 4, 2019 at 8:59 am

Red velvet has always been a weird one for bakers, I wouldn’t worry!! As long as you have the correct type of food colouring, and weigh everything well, it should be dandy!
      And yes as long as it’s dowelled correctly then it should be absolutely fine!

• Lydia
    July 17, 2019 at 12:23 pm

Hi Jane!
    I want to make this cake tomorrow but as three tiers rather than 2. Would you please advise me with regards to the increased quantities of the ingredients and also how long to bake it for please xx

July 17, 2019 at 12:35 pm

Add on another 1/2 of the recipe, and bake into three tins! Should be the same baking time then!

• Hannah
    July 11, 2019 at 8:45 pm

Made this recipe yesterday, absolutely delicious and turned out beautifully! I’m making this recipe again but will divide into two 11 inch pans. Should I just double the recipe, or add another half of each ingredient? I complicate things too much in my brain haha.

• Hana
    May 29, 2019 at 1:15 am

Hi Jane! I was just wondering, if I wanted to double the recipe to make a 4 layered cake what would be the best way to bake them? In two pans and then cut through the middle or bake in four separate tins?

• Emma
    April 23, 2019 at 6:56 pm

Hi Jane, amazing recipe! Family were huge fans when I made this. Have you ever tried to make red velvet brownies/cookies? I’ve had a look for a recipe online but it’s all cup/American measurements which never seem to work for me! Thanks!!

• Claudia
    February 5, 2019 at 6:21 pm

Hi Jane, I looovee your blog!! Amazing recipes and love how you explain and give tips! Will be baking this tomorrow for a bday cake. Would you recommend using cream cheese for in between the two layers and Swiss meringue for the top and outer layer? I will need to use the Swiss meringue on the outside so not sure if it will match well?xx

February 6, 2019 at 3:39 pm

If you use the cream cheese frosting you’ll have to store it in the fridge, so if you’d rather avoid that then use the Swiss meringue for all of it, or just a regular buttercream in the middle xx

• Waveney Metcalfe
    September 10, 2018 at 4:34 pm

Hi, just wondered if this recipe would translate into cupcakes? Thanks 🙂 x

September 10, 2018 at 7:26 pm

It can do! But I do have a red velvet cupcake recipe already on my blog if that would be easier.

• Malika
    January 29, 2018 at 4:35 pm

Sorry to be a pain…can someone just clear up the cream cheese as I can only find the Philadelphia full fat soft cheese (is this what I’m meant to buy) forgive my naivety. Thanks for any help given x

• Ani
    October 14, 2017 at 3:57 pm

I made this cake for hubby’s birthday today as he loves red velvet cakes. It tasted delicious, however I wish I had listened to you and bought the sugar flair red food colour as the cake wasn’t as red as I had hoped it would be (I used Dr Oetker extra red gel)! Love all your recipes!!

October 14, 2017 at 4:29 pm

Ahh I’m so glad it was enjoyed! And yeah, I only use colours from sugar flair or progel because they really are the only ones that work well enough!

• Holly
    October 9, 2017 at 12:11 pm

Hi Jane Can I ask where you get your cream cheese from? All the shops in the UK only sell tubs of cream cheese which is whipped and it’s doesn’t have a thick consistency like the blocks of cream cheese have. Thanks

October 9, 2017 at 3:47 pm

I bought the philadelphia tubs from the supermarket – if you’re concerned, you can squeeze out the excess liquid using a Muslin Cloth.

• Sonia
    September 26, 2017 at 9:47 am

Would this cake be sturdy enough to cover in sugarpaste?

September 26, 2017 at 9:19 pm

I’ve never personally tried – but if you’re filling with cream cheese frosting it must be kept in the fridge, and sugar paste shouldn’t be in the fridge.

• Ola
    September 16, 2017 at 11:29 am

Can you buy Sugarflair colouring in any UK supermarkets or just online ? Thank you.

September 16, 2017 at 4:52 pm

Just online x

• Ola
      September 16, 2017 at 5:17 pm

Hi, just to let you know (and anyone else wondering) I went searching after I posted a comment and found a pack of 8 Sugarflair colours (including red) in Hobbycraft @ £15. A bit much for me so bought a Wilton Christmas Red from there instead . Will let you know how the cake turns out later!

• Ola
      September 16, 2017 at 9:14 pm

Verdict – sponge turned out perfect – moist and velvety. Icing – too sweet for our liking so will have to reduce sugar next time. a winner overall and will definitely make it again! thank you.

• Shirley
    September 4, 2017 at 3:07 pm

Just made your lovely red velvet cake. I stuck to the letter and it came out perfect…..and yes, defiantely use the good quality red colouring, I ordered sugar flair from Amazon and came next day .

• Robyn Orts
    September 1, 2017 at 1:33 pm

I was wondering why is it plain flour that one should use rather than self raising flour?

September 1, 2017 at 3:19 pm

Because a red velvet rises through the buttermilk, vinegar, etc. Self raising flour would be too much.

• Catrin
    August 16, 2017 at 2:06 pm

I made this cake last week and its the first red velvet cake I’ve made that actually looks red!! It also tasted lovely but I did have some trouble with the cream cheese frosting (it still tasted lovely though!). It seemed quite runny which meant I had to keep the cake in the fridge. I was wondering whether I overdid it a bit when mixing? Any tips gratefully appreciated!!

• Leigh
      October 5, 2017 at 7:06 pm

I agree about the frosting, mine looked more like melted milky bar!
      Next time I’m going to try less butter.

October 6, 2017 at 7:27 am

You over mixed the frosting if it was loose – the butter helps firm it up.

October 6, 2017 at 7:26 am

Hiya – If it was loose you over mixed the frosting. Its a common problem. Also, you need to keep the cake in the fridge anyway as it was cream cheese frosting.

• Prabhdit
    October 24, 2016 at 8:12 pm

Hi I love this recipe, but I was wondering if buttercream frosting can be used instead of the cream cheese as it’s my friends birthday cake and they love buttercream ? thanks x

October 24, 2016 at 8:42 pm

Yeah of course! You can use any frosting you like 🙂

• Tamsin
    August 21, 2016 at 8:17 pm

Hi Jane, love the blog so much!
    Was just wondering about the white vinegar in this recipe, is it white wine vinegar or can I use distilled malt vinegar?
    Thanks! 🙂

August 22, 2016 at 8:59 am

I’d use White Wine Vinegar 🙂 and thank you!

• Dally
      September 26, 2017 at 12:56 pm

Hi
      I went on a hunt for white vinager but had no luck at asda…is it just called white vinager?

September 26, 2017 at 4:14 pm

I’d use white wine vinegar ?

• Dally
      September 26, 2017 at 8:43 pm

Thank you…looking forward to this one after reading all the great reviews ??

• Mary F
    June 7, 2016 at 9:47 am

I have made this cake a couple of times now and it always comes up trumps. Everyone loves it. Thank you Jane for sharing the recipe.

June 7, 2016 at 11:14 am

Ohh thank you Mary! I am so glad that you all love it and its successful, thank you! 🙂

• Ellie
    March 23, 2016 at 9:00 am

Hi Jane! This recipe looks amaaaazing and I’m having a go at making it this week! I’m stuck though – I can’t find white vinegar and have distilled malt vinegar.. Are they they same? If not please help and tell me where I will find white vinegar!! Thank you! Xx

March 23, 2016 at 9:02 am

Hiya! I’m not 100% sure I’m I’m honest if they’re the same as I’ve never seen the vinegar you have already – but I know some people have bought white wine vinegar instead by accident but it’s worked? So maybe try that one? 🙂 xx

• Red Velvet Cake | bookboodle
    December 13, 2015 at 9:27 am

[…] recipe is from Jane’s Patisserie, I’d looked at lots and this seemed a more manageable recipe in terms of its method and […]

• chef mimi
    November 6, 2015 at 3:22 pm

I’ve always been put off by the ingredients, but that has never kept me from enjoying red velvet cake! Yours is very pretty!

November 6, 2015 at 7:05 pm

What ingredients put you off? 🙂 and thank you!

• chef mimi
      November 6, 2015 at 10:30 pm

well mostly the food coloring, plus I don’t get the vinegar…

November 7, 2015 at 1:56 pm

The vinegar reacts with the bicarbonate giving it the texture and bringing the colour out more I believe 🙂 but I get what you mean!

• Carrie
      September 27, 2020 at 3:32 pm

Hi Jane, I’ve tried a couple of your recipes and they are always great. Your Nutella stuffed cookies went down a treat in my house, even my brother panicked when he thought they were running out lol. I was hoping to use your red velvet cake recipe to make a giant cupcake. Could you tell me how much mixture you would recommend to use please. Also what oven temperature and how long for you would suggest. Thanks xx

September 27, 2020 at 4:43 pm

Hey! I’m really sorry but I can’t really answer – giant cupcake moulds vary a lot, some are silicone some are metal and than can change it. The best thing to do is to just make a batch of the cake and just give it a go!

• Fortnightly Recipe
    November 4, 2015 at 11:58 pm

Happy birthday to the blog! I can’t believe you’ve only been doing this a year, hands down my favourite blog and I’m planning on trying one of your cheesecake recipes this weekend! This is definitely one to remember too 🙂

November 5, 2015 at 12:03 pm

Awwwwh thank you so so much!! 🙂 I really hope you like the cheesecakes – let me know how you get on!!

• Marisa's Italian Kitchen
    November 3, 2015 at 11:50 pm

Happy 1st Blogoversary….Red Velvet Cake is the perfect choice 🙂

• abbiosbiston
    November 3, 2015 at 9:45 pm

This is my husband’s favourite. I made him one for his birthday 🙂 http://abbiosbiston.com/2015/07/15/things-i-have-been-cooking-lately-120-red-velvet-cake/

• Garance
    November 3, 2015 at 5:55 pm

Only a year? Wow, you’ve come so far!!!

• Madhu
    November 3, 2015 at 4:45 pm

can this recipe be baked only for one cake? And not two baking trays?

November 3, 2015 at 5:56 pm

The baking time will be considerably different if you do it one, and you potentially risk it drying out, but I don’t see why not.

• Madhu
      November 4, 2015 at 3:23 pm

Okay 🙂 and should I use self raising flour or just normal flour?

November 4, 2015 at 3:24 pm

Stick with plain flour like the recipe states – the self raising side of things might make it rise too much and then fall in the middle!

• srividhya
    November 3, 2015 at 3:32 pm

Happy birthday to your blog and what a wonderful cake to celebrate with. 🙂

• apuginthekitchen
    November 3, 2015 at 1:55 pm

Happy blogoversary, I do love a good red velvet cake. I have been disappointed with the recipes I have tried in the past. Your cake looks really perfect, next time I make one I will use your recipe. I do use good quality food coloring so I get that classic red color but am so glad you posted such detailed instructions. Thank you and Happy Birthday to your blog.

November 3, 2015 at 4:05 pm

Aww thank you so much! 🙂 I really would say that getting the paste of cocoa powder, vanilla and colouring is helpful – otherwise the paste food colouring might not disperse and it ends up all icky coloured! And thank you again!! 🙂

• Anita Kushwaha
    November 3, 2015 at 1:51 pm

Happy birthday! I agree, Red Velvet in the shops can be a hit or a miss. Well done! 🙂

November 3, 2015 at 4:04 pm

Its always a gamble when you buy it!! And thank you so much! 🙂

• Mary
    November 3, 2015 at 1:46 pm

Happy 1st Birthday to your fab blog. The cake looks delicious … i’ll be baking it for a friends birthday in a few weeks time.

November 3, 2015 at 1:47 pm

Thanks Mary! And Oooh perfect, I hope everyone likes it!

• Beth
    November 3, 2015 at 1:15 pm

Happy 1st birthday!!! That cake looks so delicious! Perfect way to celebrate ?

• Lynz Real Cooking
    November 3, 2015 at 1:06 pm

What a beautiful and delicious looking cake!!

• Anisa
    November 3, 2015 at 12:39 pm

Happy 1st birthday hope you have many more so glad I came across your blog x
    Can I ask do you use homemade buttermilk or shop bought please Jane? Many thanks xxx

• Haylee
    November 3, 2015 at 12:34 pm

Happy blogoversary! Looks incredibly delicious, as usual!

• mypinchofyum
    November 3, 2015 at 11:55 am

Amazing 🙂

• Cher|cherthatdish
    November 3, 2015 at 11:51 am

Happy birthday! (To your blog) and red velvet is a perfect way to celebrate! Yummmm

November 3, 2015 at 1:27 pm

Thanks Cher!! 🙂

• Adele Clayton
      May 6, 2020 at 10:58 am

Hi Jane can you use stork instead of butter on the red velvet sponge?xx

May 6, 2020 at 11:46 am

For the sponge, yes! Not for the topping x