*This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure for more details!*
Delicious oil based chocolate cake with tri-colour buttercream frosting, and Creme Eggs! Amazing Easter showstopper!
Creme Egg Layer Cake
After the success of my mini egg loaf cake the other day… I COULD NOT RESIST! SO many people were asking for a round version of the oil based sponge… and here it is! Creme Egg Layer cake – yes please! I had already planned to post this cake, but not quite so soon but here we are!
This one is of Creme Egg themed instead. I know Creme Eggs aren’t everyones taste, but this cake is just something else! It is utterly delicious. It has such a light sponge with a ‘moist’ chocolate cake which some people can struggle to find in an easy to make cake.
Chocolate fudge cake is utterly delicious but requires a lot more ingredients, and this sponge is the happy middle! It is soft and so good. I use vegetable oil, but you can use sunflower oil – olive oil is potentially useable but can leave a bit of a flavour and I generally avoid it in baking!
Obviously this has to be a chocolate sponge cake – chocolate is a very definite theme here! I love making three layer cakes like this one as they look that bit more ‘wow’ than a sandwich cake but are also easier than a 4 layer wondrous drip cake – this bake is definitely a box ticker for a happy medium of everything!
Because I went down the theme of Creme Eggs I wanted to use the idea of my Creme Egg loaf cake and use the colours of yellow, orange and brown for the buttercream! Just like a lot of my other cakes I went for the ‘buttercream poop’ effect as its easier when you have three different piping bags.
In then end I used the basic buttercream as it was, some coloured orange, and some flavoured and then coloured chocolate to get the three colour of this cake.
In my mini egg chocolate cake I did colours layer by layer, and you can 100% do that – its easier than switching piping bags often, but I wanted to decorate this one slightly differently! It hurt my brain slightly trying to make the colours work in a ‘step’ effect but I love it!
This sort of decoration is of course optional – you can just slather the different colours on however you pleased – but I try and make it themed as much as possible! Just like the mini egg loaf cake I didn’t put any of the chocolate in the sponge as it just wouldn’t work however.
I did go a little over the top with the icing drizzle I will admit, but it happened and I couldn’t scrape it off haha! I like to think most decoration ideas are optional anyway. For example, I shoved come chopped up Creme Eggs on the top as they’d already crumbled!
Please don’t be a cynic and say ‘how is it Creme Egg themed if its only on the top’ – easter chocolate isn’t the cheapest and some of my bakes use SO MUCH CHOCOLATE just like my Creme Egg brownies – so for this I think its allowed to use less!
The idea of it is the decoration anyway! All about the colours. All about the explosion of Creme Egg on this delightful layer cake. I hope you love this recipe! Enjoy! x
Creme Egg Layer Cake!
- 400 g self raising flour
- 100 g cocoa powder
- 400 g light brown sugar
- 6 medium eggs
- 300 ml vegetable oil
- 300 ml whole milk
- 350 g unsalted butter (room temp)
- 700 g icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 20 g cocoa powder
- Orange food colouring
- 6 Creme Eggs
- 50 g icing sugar
- 1-2 tsp water
For the Cake
- Preheat your oven to 180C/160 Fan, and line three 8"/20cm round cake tins with parchment paper!
- Add the flour, cocoa powder and light brown soft sugar to a large bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add the eggs, vegetable oil and milk to the bowl and whisk briefly until combined again.
- Pour into the tins and bake for about 30 minutes, or until baked through. I test my cakes with a skewer!
- Leave the baked cake to cool in the tin.
For the Buttercream
- Beat the butter on its own for a few minutes to loosen and make it smooth.
- Add in the icing sugar and beat again! If necessary, add in 1tbsp of boiling water (ONLY IF IT'S VERY THICK)
- Add in the vanilla and beat again.
- Split the buttercream into three bowls.
- Colour one orange, and add the cocoa powder to another. Leave the third plain!
For the Decoration
- You can decorate how you like - I did alternate piping of the three colours, on all three layers.
- I used piping bags with the end snipped off with no piping tip, but you can use a round jumbo piping tip!
- Add Creme Eggs on the top you like! Add sprinkles, and add an icing drizzle if you want by mixing the icing sugar and water together and drizzling but this is all optional.
- All decoration ideas are optional!
- I used this orange food colouring!
- To cut Creme Eggs I find it easier too chill or freeze them for a while before and use a sharp knife.
- Find a loaf cake version of this with mini eggs here!
- If you would like a regular sponge made with butter, use the sponge recipe from this post.
- This cake will last 3-4 days at room temp!
- I love these cake tins!
Find my other Easter Recipes on my Recipes Page!
© Jane’s Patisserie. All images & content are copyright protected. Do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and credit me, or link back to this post for the recipe.